Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Second Sight Blu-ray Thread

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official Second Sight Blu-ray Thread

Old 06-21-22, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,898 Likes on 2,784 Posts
Re: The Official Second Sight Blu-ray Thread

Dog Soldiers is delayed and they had to drop a legacy commentary track that featured Neil Marshall

Old 06-21-22, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
are there multiple cuts of the first TCM?
I remember a vignette that was not on old cuts but was restored on the laserdisc was when Sally was in the gas station and glanced over to see, it is strongly implied, human carcasses hanging in the smoker.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (06-21-22)
Old 07-08-22, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 317 Posts

Old 07-08-22, 11:09 AM

Received 4,808 Likes on 3,253 Posts

For some more background for anyone not aware...

Romero's director's cut was found and put up for auction... currently at $20,000 bid. https://www.julienslive.com/lot-deta...28/lot/182131?

Per the auction:
The only known print of the unreleased, black and white "Director's Cut" version of the classic George A. Romero vampire film Martin (Laurel Productions, 1976) comprised of three reels of 16mm footage in cans hand-labeled by the film's director of photography and post-production supervisor, Michael Gornick, at the time of production. The cut's runtime is approximately 150 minutes.

The film (released internationally as Wampyr) was both written and directed by horror master Romero, creator of the classic Night of the Living Dead (Image Ten, 1968) and its sequels, and tells the disturbing and violent tale of a young man who may or may not be an 84-year-old vampire.

Romero often stated in interviews that of all of his films, Martin was his personal favorite. The film was made in Pennsylvania in 1976 with a small, steadfast crew, and featured many of the director's repeat players in the leading roles, including John Amplas, Christine Forrest, Lincoln Maazel, and Tom Savini. When asked which film stands out as perhaps coming closest to [his] initial vision, Romero replied:

"Strangely, a little film I made called Martin, which was a $275,000 production, comes closest in terms of the finished product to what my conception was going in. That's because all of us were working on that out of dedication. It was one of those little films that we went out with nine people and made a movie. It didn't matter if we had to shoot at night, we shot at night. We were just there to get the movie done. I had the most freedom on that film that I've had on any of the other ones."
-Stanley Wiater, Dark Visions: Conversations with the Masters of the Horror Film: Avon, 1992

In addition to being his personal favorite, Martin stands out among its peers in Romero's body of work as, in his own words, the only movie of his where the central character "is a human being doing violent things to other human beings" (Wiater, 1992) as opposed to infusing the violence with an element of fantasy or humor. Here, the supposed vampirism of the protagonist is entirely demystified and used to explore a wide range of very human ills and evils, making it arguably Romero's most nihilistic, desolate, and sad film.

However, in spite of the seriousness of the issues at play and the creative integrity of the project, audiences would never get a chance to see Romero's original cut of the film, the one that so perfectly embodied his initial vision. Romero intended to release Martin in black and white, but after arguments with the producer he agreed to release the film in color. Furthermore, the cut that graced drive-in and theater screens upon its release featured a run-time over an hour shorter than Romero's preferred version.

This black and white print of the film represents Romero's complete, original vision: differing greatly from the released theatrical version and offering previously unavailable insight into the horror auteur's creative aims and processes. Most notably, this print features alternate credit and title fonts, entirely unique scenes not included in the "official" release, numerous alternate edits and voiceovers, extended graphic violence and sexual content (including full frontal male nudity), and a dramatically restructured final act and closing sequence. The black and white cinematography displays drastically different lighting and striking composition choices that were obscured in the film's color version.

This "Director's Cut" presents a less choppy and more immersive narrative pace and flow that allows intimate access to characters and their relationships and sharpens the exploration of Romero's favored themes: the connections between humans and the monsters they create, myth vs. reality, and the alienating aspects of modern life. The fully realized, black and white Martin, which feels somehow both documentary and dream-like, is even more stylistically and thematically resonant with Romero's breakthrough Night of the Living Dead than the theatrical release.

The George A Romero Foundation:

The GARF's statement on MARTIN

Many of our fans, followers, and supporters have reached out to us about the print of MARTIN that is currently for sale. We truly appreciate your concern and diligence, so thank you!

The George A. Romero Foundation (GARF) has reached out to the seller's agent to discuss its acquisition. At this time, it appears that the print will be sold to an individual buyer.

The GARF has also been in contact with those involved with the production of the film to determine exactly what this print may be.
This print of MARTIN is a "slop print" - that is, a B&W spliceless duplicate of the workprint used to make corrections in the sound mix. This print was purportedly produced for and exhibited at a theater in New Jersey so that the production company (Braddock Associates) could apply for funding for its completion and eventual distribution.

This print made its way to its current owners through the location scouting process for DAWN OF THE DEAD. Regardless of physical ownership, this print may not be exhibited, as the intellectual property is owned by New Amsterdam Entertainment.

This cut of MARTIN does, however, have intrinsic scholarly value. It is our hope that this print may ultimately be installed within the University of Pittsburgh Library System's (ULS) George A. Romero Archival Collection.

The print needs to be properly transferred so that it can be viewed without the risk of its destruction. The celluloid itself then needs to be meticulously preserved. The ULS has both the capability and the desire to do so.

We sincerely hope that the buyer will consider donating the film to the collection so that it may be added to the enormous body of work already there.

That's all the information we can share at this time. As always, please stay tuned for new developments and of course -- Stay Scared!
John Pannozzi (07-09-22)
Old 07-08-22, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,094 Likes on 763 Posts

I've never seen Martin and I don't care about Martin, but I sure hope that print doesn't end up in the hands of some loser collector who will lock it away for all eternity.
asianxcore (07-09-22)
Old 07-08-22, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 888 Likes on 574 Posts

I fully realize that $20,000 is not a small amount of money, but itís too bad Second Sight, VS or another label or hell even the foundation themselves wonít purchase it.
asianxcore (07-09-22)
Old 11-25-22, 09:14 AM

Last edited by dex14; 11-25-22 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-28-22, 12:20 PM

Old 12-01-22, 11:29 AM

Preorders open tomorrow.

A new Second Sight 4K restoration supervised and approved by Director of Photography Michael Gornick
UHD presented in HDR10+
Audio commentary by George A Romero, John Amplas and Tom Savini
Audio commentary by George A Romero, Richard P Rubinstein, Tom Savini, Michael Gornick and Donald Rubinstein
A new audio commentary by Kat Ellinger
A new audio commentary by Travis Crawford
Taste the Blood of Martin: A new feature length documentary including location tour
Scoring the Shadows: A new interview with composer Donald Rubinstein
'J Roy - New And Used Furniture': a short film by Tony Buba
Making Martin: A Recounting
Trailer, TV and radio spots

Limited Edition Contents

Rigid slipcase with original classic artwork
Soft cover book with new essays by Daniel Bird, Miranda Corcoran, Travis Crawford, Heather Drain, Kat Ellinger, Andrew Graves, Alexandra Heller-Nicholas, Elena Lazic, , Stephen Thrower, Jon Towlson, Simon Ward and Tony Williams
Original Soundtrack CD by Donald Rubinstein
5 collectors' character art cards illustrated by Adam Stothard
John Pannozzi (01-30-23)
Old 12-01-22, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 895 Likes on 756 Posts

I skipped Martin on BD before so I'll probably get the 4K set.
Old 12-02-22, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,280 Likes on 985 Posts

Second Sight said this was a UK only exclusive, so they will not be selling it to outside the UK folks. It can still be pre-ordered via Zavi and other vendors.
Old 01-30-23, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The Second Sight Texas Chainsaw Massacre 4K disc releases April 10th.

DiabolikDVD has the standard and bix set up for sale:

https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product/...-ray-region-b/
John Pannozzi (01-30-23)
Old 05-24-23, 05:55 PM

Adam Tyner (05-24-23)
Old 05-25-23, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

7/24
Old 06-21-23, 10:15 AM

Adam Tyner (06-22-23)
Old 06-21-23, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The LE for It Follows is tempting but I think I'll pick-up the SE, as I don't need all the physical extras.
Old 06-21-23, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, went with the SE of It Follows and Crimes of the Future on 4K.

I'll probably get the Frontier(s) BD next week.
Old 06-21-23, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore
The LE for It Follows is tempting but I think I'll pick-up the SE, as I don't need all the physical extras.
Yea, that box is gorgeous. It is one of my favorite films of the last few years, but I don't need all that.
Old 07-06-23, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally ordered a copy of the 4K UHD of Martin (1977).

Looking forward to checking this out as I've only ever owned the old Anchor Bay DVD.
Old 08-08-23, 07:41 AM

Old 08-09-23, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 895 Likes on 756 Posts

Skipping Possession on home video this entire time has finally paid off! 4K will be my first purchase of Possession. I wish I could say that about so many other films, lol.
Old 06-21-24, 07:12 AM

Old 07-10-24, 07:22 AM

THE HITCHER LTD ED 4K UHD & BD released Sep 30th, available for pre-order now! New 4K restoration with D​olby Vision grade, Atmos audio + hours of new bonus material! Also includes hardback book, script book + more. Standard Editions also available.
https://secondsightfilms.co.uk/

Director: Robert Harmon

Starring: Rutger Hauer, C Thomas Howell, Jennifer Jason Leigh

A would-be samaritan picks up a hitchhiker and soon discovers the man is a relentless serial killer. Framed by the cold-blooded murderer for a string of slayings, his only help comes from a caring waitress as they attempt to flee from both the law and the hitcher.

Special Features
  • Dual format edition including both UHD and Blu-ray with main feature and bonus features on both discs
  • A new 4k restoration by Second Sight Films from the original camera negative supervised and approved by Director Robert Harmon
  • UHD presented in HDR with Dolby Vision
  • Features Dolby Atmos and original stereo audio mixes
  • New audio commentary by Alexandra Heller-Nicholas
  • Audio commentary with Robert Harmon and Writer Eric Red
  • Scene specific audio commentary with Robert Harmon, Eric Red, Executive Producer Edward S Feldman, Composer Mark Isham, Director of Photography John Seale and Actors Rutger Hauer and C Thomas Howell
  • The Projection Booth Podcast: featuring
    Robert Harmon and Rutger Hauer
  • Bullseye: a new interview with Robert Harmon (41 Minutes)
  • Penning the Ripper: a new interview with Eric Red (41 Minutes)
  • Doomed to Live: a new interview with C Thomas Howell (28 Minutes)
  • The Man from Oz: a new interview with John Seale (10 Minutes)
  • A Very Formative Score: a new interview with Mark Isham (15 Minutes)
  • Duel Runner: Leigh Singer on the evolution of The Hitcher and Rutger Hauer (20 Minutes)
  • China Lake: a short film by Robert Harmon newly restored (35 Minutes)
  • The Calling Card: Robert Harmon on China Lake (15 Minutes)
  • Telephone: a short film by Eric Red (26 Minutes)
  • The Hitcher: How do these movies get made? (38 Minutes)
  • Trailers (5 Minutes)
Limited Edition Contents
  • Rigid slipcase with new artwork by Adam Stothard
  • 200-page hardback book with exclusive Robert Harmon interview by Lou Thomas, exclusive Eric Red interview by Matthew Thrift, new essays by Heather Drain, David Kittredge, Craig Ian Mann, Rebecca McCallum, Meagan Navarro and Jon Towlson, archival Fangoria article and Behind the Scenes photo gallery
  • Eric Red’s original screenplay book
  • 6 collectors' art cards
Catalogue number: 2NDBR4227

Certificate: 15

Region: UHD Region Free / Blu-ray Region Free
Language: English

Subtitles: English SDH

Audio: Dolby Atmos, Original stereo 2.0
Toby Dramit (07-10-24)
Old 07-10-24, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 703 Likes on 518 Posts

Grindhouse Video sent an eblast this morning noting this was available in three variants: the box ($60), the 4K ($32), and the Blu-ray ($25). Iím assuming the pricing will be similar at other online retailers.
Old 07-10-24, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,998 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Itís a few bucks less at Orbit, Atomic, and Diabolik. I grabbed it from Orbit for $29.99 along with the UK UHD editions of Peeping Tom and The Wicker Man, which was enough to get free shipping.
Brian T (07-10-24)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.