Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-17, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Re: The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

I've got it on the way, it most likely is. Also have Transformers coming; annoyed that I ordered that from Amazon a few weeks ago and they haven't even SHIPPED the damn thing yet! Will have to watch all the previous movies on my new setup first anyways, and try not to criticize the lack of coherency in the scripts too much.
Old 09-30-17, 09:19 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I've got it on the way, it most likely is.
you mean Pirates, right? how much all told in US $ to ship here? and it says preorder on Zavvi site, but yours' shipped?
Old 09-30-17, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
anyone see the new Transformers yet? i feel like i should see Age of Extinction, but i'm scared...
Saw it in 2D in the theater. Not a great movie, but I ordered the 3D Blu-ray anyway because I was able to get it cheap and the last two movies in the series had good 3D effects.
Old 09-30-17, 10:09 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

So I'm in the market for a new TV and apparently there is no more 3D sets...like, at all?

While I don't watch 3D, I guess this helps the resale value of my 2013 LG since it does have 3D but this just seems surprising.
Old 09-30-17, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Gizmo
So I'm in the market for a new TV and apparently there is no more 3D sets...like, at all?

While I don't watch 3D, I guess this helps the resale value of my 2013 LG since it does have 3D but this just seems surprising.
It's true: in 2017 every TV manufacturer dropped 3D as a feature. Buyers looking for 3D have to go with older models (or projectors).
Old 10-03-17, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like Universal is skipping the 3D release of Despicable Me 3 here in the US.

That really sucks since I have the first two movies in 3D.
Old 10-03-17, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Looks like Universal is skipping the 3D release of Despicable Me 3 here in the US.

That really sucks since I have the first two movies in 3D.
Me too, and the 3D is good in the first two so I would expect it to be good in the third one also. Let's see: so far this year I've had to buy foreign versions of Underworld: Blood Wars, Resident Evil: The Final Chapter, Big Hero 6 and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales to just to get the 3D versions... and now this. I guess the writing's on the wall.

What I don't understand is there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to which movies get a 3D BD in North America and which ones don't. When a movie flops in America, I can understand why a studio wouldn't bother releasing the 3D BD in the states, but then why did Transformers: The Last Knight get a 3D BD in America? And conversely, why didn't Frozen get a 3D BD in the U.S. when it was a huge hit?

Update: It's still listed for $29.99 at walmart.com. Maybe it will be a Walmart exclusive? (Fingers crossed.) It looks like it was listed at bestbuy.com and target.com at one time, but not anymore. It's not on Amazon either.

Last edited by Joe Schmoe; 10-03-17 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-04-17, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
It's true: in 2017 every TV manufacturer dropped 3D as a feature. Buyers looking for 3D have to go with older models (or projectors).
And yet... at least one of those manufacturers (Samsung) is producing a 4H/UHD player with 3D capability.

Go figure.
Old 10-04-17, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Me too, and the 3D is good in the first two so I would expect it to be good in the third one also. Let's see: so far this year I've had to buy foreign versions of Underworld: Blood Wars, Resident Evil: The Final Chapter, Big Hero 6 and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales to just to get the 3D versions... and now this. I guess the writing's on the wall.
and Disney is also doing it with Cars 3, when the past two movies had 3D versions in the states. Makes no sense. I wonder how much longer they will continue with Disney/Pixar/Marvel.

What I don't understand is there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to which movies get a 3D BD in North America and which ones don't. When a movie flops in America, I can understand why a studio wouldn't bother releasing the 3D BD in the states, but then why did Transformers: The Last Knight get a 3D BD in America? And conversely, why didn't Frozen get a 3D BD in the U.S. when it was a huge hit?
I still don't understand how we got 3D versions of Ghost in the Shell and King Arthur, but are missing so many others.
Old 10-05-17, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There's hope for Despicable Me 3... hidefdigest.com announced the 3D version on their site today.
Old 10-05-17, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well that's good news if so. I wonder why several sites removed the product listing then, unless it does end up as a store exclusive.
Old 10-05-17, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

Another 3D oldie announced by Kino today: SANGAREE (1953)

Background story at the 3D Film Archive:
http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/sangaree
Old 10-05-17, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
Another 3D oldie announced by Kino today: SANGAREE (1953)

Background story at the 3D Film Archive:
http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/sangaree
3D Film Archive is doing fantastic work. As a newbie to home 3D but a huge fan of classic movies, I'm really loving their efforts.
Old 10-06-17, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Well that's good news if so. I wonder why several sites removed the product listing then, unless it does end up as a store exclusive.
If it ends up as a Best Buy exclusive, you may want to avoid wasting your time trying to find a copy in a store or online and just go directly to eBay.
Old 10-06-17, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I preordered DM3 from Target last month- gonna be pissed if it ends up being cancelled. You can get an import right now from Ebay sellers for about $40, as it's been released early in some other countries but I'm not in a huge hurry.
Old 10-06-17, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just watched POTC: Dead Men Tell No tales on a Region A, B & C BD 3D. Got it on eBay. It has LOTS of depth all throughout the film, but I didn't notice any pop out effects. There's also some ghosting. Strangely, the front of the case and slipcover say Dead Men Tell No Tales, but the back of the box and slipcover call it Salazar's Revenge. In the movie, it's also called Salazar's Revenge. Disney skimped on the audio for the 3D disc: the best track has 5.1 DTS High Resolution only while the case and slip cover advertise 5.1 DTS-HD MA in the specifications section and 7.1 DTS-HD MA right under that area. (I haven't tried the 2D disc yet.) Both are a slap in the face as far as I'm concerned because Disney opted to put Dolby Atmos on the 4K UHD release, and we all know they could have included Atmos on the BD releases as well. Anyway, it has Czech and Polish subtitles.

Update: Watched the 2D disc last night... Turns out Disney misrepresented the 2D disc as well because it also has a 5.1 DTS High Resolution track. Not sure how they can get away with that.

Last edited by Joe Schmoe; 10-22-17 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-07-17, 04:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon2
If it ends up as a Best Buy exclusive, you may want to avoid wasting your time trying to find a copy in a store or online and just go directly to eBay.
Or, as many of us have been able to do, place an order for store pickup when it comes in stock in the wee hours of the night before/early morning of the release date.
Old 10-08-17, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I may have found my new demo disc... Transformers: The Last Knight. The movie itself is meh, but it's a tour de force technologically speaking. Dolby Atmos, 3D with lots of depth and some pop out (mostly debris and sparks), and shifting aspect ratios thanks to many IMAX shots. In fact, more of the film is presented in IMAX format than in widescreen. I don't have Atmos equipment yet, but the 7.1 Dolby TrueHD track really impressed with the usual bullets, explosions and car crashes we've come to expect from this series. The final battle looked especially good in 3D as there were many flying/floating shots.
Old 10-08-17, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may have found my new demo disc... Transformers: The Last Knight. The movie itself is meh, but it's a tour de force technologically speaking. Dolby Atmos, 3D with lots of depth and some pop out (mostly debris and sparks), and shifting aspect ratios thanks to many IMAX shots. In fact, more of the film is presented in IMAX format than in widescreen. I don't have Atmos equipment yet, but the 7.1 Dolby TrueHD track really impressed with the usual bullets, explosions and car crashes we've come to expect from this series. The final battle looked especially good in 3D as there were many flying/floating shots.
The last two Transformers films had some great 3D effects in their IMAX presentation (considering I thought Dark of the Moon's 3D sucked), but the shifting aspect ratios nearly drove me to suicide during their respective theatrical screenings. I thought Bay primarily shooting a majority of The Last Knight in IMAX's Alexa 65 rig would've eliminated that problem, but the film shifts between 1.90:1, 2.00:1, and 2.40:1 non-stop since Bay can't contain himself.

I hate myself, so I already own the last four films on Blu-ray. I picked up the 3D copy of Age of Extinction last Black Friday for $10, so I'll wait for a similar deal for The Last Knight.
Old 10-08-17, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
The last two Transformers films had some great 3D effects in their IMAX presentation (considering I thought Dark of the Moon's 3D sucked), but the shifting aspect ratios nearly drove me to suicide during their respective theatrical screenings. I thought Bay primarily shooting a majority of The Last Knight in IMAX's Alexa 65 rig would've eliminated that problem, but the film shifts between 1.90:1, 2.00:1, and 2.40:1 non-stop since Bay can't contain himself.

I hate myself, so I already own the last four films on Blu-ray. I picked up the 3D copy of Age of Extinction last Black Friday for $10, so I'll wait for a similar deal for The Last Knight.
Yes, the change in aspect ratios comes at a fast and furious pace in this film, and it left me wondering why he felt the need to change ratios from shot to shot. Makes no sense, and at first I noticed it every time it changed. I was able to ignore it eventually. (I think I was focused more on trying to spot 3D effects and trying to follow the plot this time around.) I was able to pick this up for $12 and change thanks to Amazon gift cards I had earned doing searches on Bing, so not paying full price was another bonus.
Old 10-08-17, 12:19 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

sounds awesome. maybe i'll give that a spin next weekend. i figure i know the answer, but do you have to watch Extinction to get into Knight?

Last edited by OldBoy; 10-08-17 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-08-17, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

i figure i know the answer, but do you have to watch Extinction to get into Knight?
Nope. All you really need to know is that at the end of the 4th film, Optimus Prime heads off into space to confront their "makers"
Old 10-08-17, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheBang
Nope. All you really need to know is that at the end of the 4th film, Optimus Prime heads off into space to confront their "makers"
I completely forgot how that one ended. So when I watched the new one, I was wondering why he was frozen in space.
Old 10-09-17, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

sounds awesome. maybe i'll give that a spin next weekend. i figure i know the answer, but do you have to watch Extinction to get into Knight?
Probably not, but Extinction does introduce you to Cade Yeager and his daughter, and pounds it into your head that he's a poor inventor. Well, there you go: you're caught up!
Old 10-10-17, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

WB Shop has an order page up for the 3D edition of Blade Runner 2049:

http://www.wbshop.com/product/blade+...+1000638709.do

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.