Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Walt Disney Animated classics 2011 Bluray plans

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Walt Disney Animated classics 2011 Bluray plans

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-11, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Walt Disney Animated classics 2011 Bluray plans

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Is there even a big audience for that set?
I am getting the set but, I am going to take and transfer all the BD discs
Lion King, Lion King 3D, Lion King 2, and Lion King 1 1/2 into my Lion King Diamond Edition Metal Pack. just leave the DVDs and Digital copy disc in the box set and sell it off for a little bit of money.
I just wish they would have given us a digi book release like th French release, now that is a beautiful set.
Old 09-20-11, 03:34 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
I Primarily mentioned morning report because that was the most obvious change to the film made back then. yes what you are talking about with the cloud formation animation with mufasa along wtih the aligators in I just cant wait to be king are as they were in the original theatrical release (aside from it being in 3D of course)and laser disc release. aside from some additional score music being placed over the end credits to accomidate for the added "3D special release" crew members.

anyways getting back to what i said no one is forecing you to watch it in 3D, you can watch it in 2D, you get both options so to me complaining about it in 3D is unnecessary, you have the choice not to watch it that way.
According to someone in our Movie forum you are wrong about the bolded part. According to him the new 3D version removes "Morning Report" but retains all the alterations made in 2004 for IMAX and DVD.

Can anyone else who has seen the 3D or 2D rerelease in theaters right now clarify this?
Old 09-21-11, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse
According to someone in our Movie forum you are wrong about the bolded part. According to him the new 3D version removes "Morning Report" but retains all the alterations made in 2004 for IMAX and DVD.

Can anyone else who has seen the 3D or 2D rerelease in theaters right now clarify this?
well I know what i saw back in July when the screening was shown, otherwise i would not have mentioned it.
Old 09-21-11, 11:23 AM

So what are the chances that the sequels will get a separate release anytime soon?
Old 09-21-11, 12:16 PM
Banned

well I know what i saw back in July when the screening was shown, otherwise i would not have mentioned it.
Are you suggesting that Disney prepared two versions of the Lion King in 3D? One version that you saw in July and another version that was released in theaters last Friday?
Old 09-21-11, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are you suggesting that Disney prepared two versions of the Lion King in 3D? One version that you saw in July and another version that was released in theaters last Friday?
I am not suggesting anything, Just stating i know what i saw in July when i watched the Test screening here in hollywood.
No one else has commented on the matter and its been in theatres for almost a week now. like i said i wouldnt have mentioned it if it wasnt what i saw, there would have been know reason for me to have even brought it up back then. perhaps someone who has the french bluray release can chime in.
Old 09-21-11, 05:58 PM
Banned

Let's face it, whatever you saw in July is what was released last Friday. They didn't make two different versions in 3D.

I don't mean to take this out exclusivly on you, but you really bummed me out because you repeatedly assured me that the film had been reverted back to its original version. You were downright belligerent about it in this post:

do you really want to go here buddy boy! i mean really?
Not only have i seen the movie in theatres durring its original theatrical run, I saw it at the El cap at the world premiere. The changes in animation that were done for dvd special edition have been undone for the 3D bluray release, it is the true theatrical cut. I like how YOU who havent seen the 3D version of the movie yet have the gull to tell me that ive never seen the original theatrical cut in theatres. Not only have i seen it but i owned the vhs, the laser disc, the dvd as well. and and i stand by what i said the movie looked great last monday night in 3D. I trust my own eyes more than i trust you or josh.

And dont tell me i dont care about presentation, I was a union projectionist at the most famous theatre in the world for over a decade. Presentation is very important to me.
To say that this casts doubt over your cognitive skills and self-proclaimed expertise would be an understatement, but look at it this way Amity, this is your chance to be a big man...
Spoiler:
...because it takes a BIG MAN to apologize.

Last edited by Mabuse; 09-21-11 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-21-11, 07:45 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I got Lion King today on BD (3D + 2D). What do you need confirmed?
Old 09-21-11, 08:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I got Lion King today on BD (3D + 2D). What do you need confirmed?
Just if they put back in the gratuitous sex scene and bank robbery.
Old 09-21-11, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Why is there so much hate for the box set? I want it and I will get it. I wasn't a big fan of the 2nd one but I found the 3rd one quite humorous.
Old 09-22-11, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by The Monkees
Why is there so much hate for the box set? I want it and I will get it. I wasn't a big fan of the 2nd one but I found the 3rd one quite humorous.
I don't hate on the box; I'm just glad I can buy the first movie by itself. I'm content to have the sequels on DVD. I think it's great Disney is offering the box for those who want it.
Old 09-25-11, 11:51 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

For those that care, inside the Lion king 3D Case is an advertisement for 1.5 and 2.0 coming out in '2012'. Both will be Combo Packs (BD+DVD) with Slip Covers.
Old 09-25-11, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Let's face it, whatever you saw in July is what was released last Friday. They didn't make two different versions in 3D.

I don't mean to take this out exclusivly on you, but you really bummed me out because you repeatedly assured me that the film had been reverted back to its original version. You were downright belligerent about it in this post:

To say that this casts doubt over your cognitive skills and self-proclaimed expertise would be an understatement, but look at it this way Amity, this is your chance to be a big man...
Spoiler:
...because it takes a BIG MAN to apologize.
I am not going to apaologize for what I know I saw in July at the test screening, and was even mentioned by the speaker (Don Han, whom I think would be one to know what they changed) prior to the start of the screening that animation that had been changed to accomidate the IMAX release of Lion King (which is what the DVD release was made from) had been reverted back in the 3D edition.

I stand by what i said, i know what i saw and heard that day.
Have you even ventured out to a theatre to check out the rerelease for yourself to see?

Last edited by AmityBoatTours; 09-25-11 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-25-11, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Monkees
Its the manner in which the discs are stored in the drum, that is the source of the hate for the box set
Old 09-28-11, 09:31 AM

I was told this is where people are supposed to talk about Disney animated BDs, though there's not much talk happening right now.

I'm thinking about just buying The Lion King 2D set (not having a 3D TV) and wanted to know if anything from the 3D set is missing in the 2D set except the 3D and digital copies of the movie?

I read every review off DVD-Basen (including Blu-Ray.com), and none of them explicitly said if the 2D BD disc contains every extra (apart from 1) found on the 3D BD or digital copy discs, or if only the 2D BD disc contains all the disc-based extras. From reading the reviews ("between the lines"), I gathered it's the latter.

If any of this is incorrect, please post:
- 2D BD disc: contains ALL of the extras (many of which are missing from the previous 2-DVD edition)
- 3D BD disc: has only 1 extra which is a quick introduction about 3D (therefore anyone owning the 3D set must insert the 2D disc to watch the extras)
- Digital copy: does NOT contain any extras
- DVD: wasn't mentioned in any reviews... does it have any (different) extras?

BTW, most reviews praised the 3D as much better than your average 2D to 3D conversion, but at least 2 reviews said the conversion was nothing to get too excited over. I'm still debating whether the 3D set is worth $5 more, and knowing how the extras are spread across the discs will help me make that decision. Thanks.
Old 09-28-11, 10:02 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Manzana
I was told this is where people are supposed to talk about Disney animated BDs, though there's not much talk happening right now.

I'm thinking about just buying The Lion King 2D set (not having a 3D TV) and wanted to know if anything from the 3D set is missing in the 2D set except the 3D and digital copies of the movie?

I read every review off DVD-Basen (including Blu-Ray.com), and none of them explicitly said if the 2D BD disc contains every extra (apart from 1) found on the 3D BD or digital copy discs, or if only the 2D BD disc contains all the disc-based extras. From reading the reviews ("between the lines"), I gathered it's the latter.

If any of this is incorrect, please post:
- 2D BD disc: contains ALL of the extras (many of which are missing from the previous 2-DVD edition)
- 3D BD disc: has only 1 extra which is a quick introduction about 3D (therefore anyone owning the 3D set must insert the 2D disc to watch the extras)
- Digital copy: does NOT contain any extras
- DVD: wasn't mentioned in any reviews... does it have any (different) extras?

BTW, most reviews praised the 3D as much better than your average 2D to 3D conversion, but at least 2 reviews said the conversion was nothing to get too excited over. I'm still debating whether the 3D set is worth $5 more, and knowing how the extras are spread across the discs will help me make that decision. Thanks.
I don't know if this answers your question, but supposedly some of the prior DVD supplements aren't physically on the Lion King's bluray, but in the 'virtual vault' portion of the bluray, one word: lame.
Old 09-28-11, 02:28 PM

For those that care, inside the Lion king 3D Case is an advertisement for 1.5 and 2.0 coming out in '2012'. Both will be Combo Packs (BD+DVD) with Slip Covers.
Great news. Thanks.
Old 09-28-11, 08:54 PM

So is this the original theatrical release?
Old 09-29-11, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dizzlle01
Yes it is.
Old 09-29-11, 08:25 AM

awesome... will be canceling my boxset preorder.

So what's the cheapest way to get the single disc now? use the coupon that'll be coming up instore?
Old 09-29-11, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by dizzlle01

Some say yes. Some say no.

We'll find out Oct. 4th.
Old 09-29-11, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 924 Likes on 656 Posts

It's probably what was just in theaters. The IMAX version with animation tweaks (gators/"SEX" removed) minus the Morning Report number.
Old 09-29-11, 12:08 PM
Banned

Yes it is.
You're really sticking with this? Why do you want to misslead people? Let's say you are right and what you say you saw really happened...that's NOT the version that just went to theaters, which therefore casts a huge shaddow over what version of the movie we will get on Blu. How can you so confidently say "Yes it is." Even if you turn out to be right you MUST admit that right now there is doubt.
Old 09-29-11, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The suspense is killing me!
Old 09-29-11, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.