Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Walt Disney Animated classics 2011 Bluray plans

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Walt Disney Animated classics 2011 Bluray plans

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-11, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,436 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Re: Walt Disney Animated classics 2011 Bluray plans

Originally Posted by The Monkees
Incorrect. I thought the same thing but if you buy it at DMC you have your choice and you should also have a choice when you get it in a retail store of a DVD case or a BD case.
What are you saying is incorrect? I have it, it's in my house and it's in a DVD sized case. If it's not from DMC, then whatever. I bought it used. I just thought it weird that I found it two weeks before it's retail release date.
Old 08-08-11, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
What are you saying is incorrect? I have it, it's in my house and it's in a DVD sized case. If it's not from DMC, then whatever. I bought it used. I just thought it weird that I found it two weeks before it's retail release date.
I believe he was pointing out that you can also get it in a Blu-ray case...which I had already pointed out in the post before his.
Old 08-08-11, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I imagine both the classic and the new Winnie the Pooh movies will make their way onto Blu in the fall?
Old 08-08-11, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 466 Likes on 320 Posts

The new one is up for pre-order already (no date yet): http://www.amazon.com/Winnie-the-Poo.../dp/B005ELMC1U

I would hope "Many Adventures" would be coming too, but no word yet.

Going back to 3D for a second, with this batch of upcoming 3D releases, what Disney movies are we missing in Blu-ray 3D? Up, Toy Story 1/2/3. Any others?
Old 08-10-11, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B.
The new one is up for pre-order already (no date yet): http://www.amazon.com/Winnie-the-Poo.../dp/B005ELMC1U

I would hope "Many Adventures" would be coming too, but no word yet.

Going back to 3D for a second, with this batch of upcoming 3D releases, what Disney movies are we missing in Blu-ray 3D? Up, Toy Story 1/2/3. Any others?
I think just the disney/pixar ones you metnitoned as well as UP 3D
And now that disney is pretty much Day and date with their 3D titles, they have done a kick a$$ job of catching up on their catalog 3D releases this year. now if they could pick up the steam on their non Diamond edition Animated classics we would be all set, I have a feeling 2012 will be disneys big year in that aspect
Old 08-19-11, 01:45 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Did everyone see DVD Savants info about the restoration of 20,000 Leagues? He saw a screening in Hollywood. Sounds like too much restoration (crossing the line into revisionism) to me, but I'll reserve judgment.

A quick report on the opening night of this year's technical symposium The Reel Thing here in Hollywood, mounted by the Association of Moving Image Archivists (AMIA):

The first night's opening screening, provided by Disney, was the 'world premiere' of a 4k digital restoration of their CinemaScope blockbuster 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Disney executives gave a brief explanation of what was done to maximize the film's colors; they also said that no "grain management" or "sharpness enhancement" was applied to the picture. They even presented the film exactly as it had been premiered for Christmas of 1854, with a Donald Duck cartoon.

The execs explained very clearly the improvements made to the picture. 20,000 has numerous shots plagued by the "CinemaScope Mumps" -- any actor in a close-up (or a tight two-shot) looks horizontally squashed, and always has. It was an early flaw of the anamorphic process. By scanning the original negatives, Disney reclaimed more "real estate" on the horizontal axis. Bits of image area to the extreme left and right had always been unused because it was covered by magnetic soundtracks. For the shots with "Mumps", the extra width allowed the digital compositors to squeeze the image slightly -- without blowing it up -- putting Captain Nemo's face back into proper proportions. It really helps.

I'm not sure, but I think that something similar was done to Warners remasterings of A Star Is Born and Love Me Or Leave Me, both of which no longer seem to have squashed-head close-ups in new DVD and Blu-ray versions.

Two other notes. We were told that the density (and slight softness) of original Technicolor prints effectively hid the many wires used to manipulate the giant squid's arms in the stormy battle scene. When scanned at 4k, the sharpness and less-dark blacks revealed more wires. So Disney painted them out, as they weren't originally visible. I also heard noted editor & film expert Rick Mitchell say something after the show that immediately got my attention. When the bomb goes off, one view of the exploding island with the sub in the foreground was filmed flat, and allowed to stretch out horizontally. That's apparently been fixed as well. I was looking for it and thought I missed it; Mitchell pointed it out.

I'm off to the first full day of presentations and screenings and will report in the evening .... Thanks for reading, Glenn Erickson
Regarding the shot of the explosion filmed flat and then stretched to anamophic, I believe that was done deliberately in order to make the explosion look like a mushroom cloud. "Fixing" it would be a big mistake.
Old 08-19-11, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Did everyone see DVD Savants info about the restoration of 20,000 Leagues? He saw a screening in Hollywood. Sounds like too much restoration (crossing the line into revisionism) to me, but I'll reserve judgment.
They even presented the film exactly as it had been premiered for Christmas of 1854
Regarding the shot of the explosion filmed flat and then stretched to anamophic, I believe that was done deliberately in order to make the explosion look like a mushroom cloud. "Fixing" it would be a big mistake.
Didn't realize this movie was that old.
Seriously though, this was and is one of my favorite live action Disney movies. Most of the changes sound like cleanup work to me. Fixing limitations in the technology from back then. I dont see any guns turning into walkie talkies, or Greedo shooting first here. Unless there was more to the article than was quoted?
Old 08-19-11, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,311 Likes on 955 Posts

Can't wait to see it with the restoration done. Can't imagine how great it will look.
Old 08-19-11, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

20,000 Leagues on BD here we come (hopefully sooner rather than later)!
Old 08-20-11, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse

Those changes all seem reasonable to me. Like jjcool said, they're all technical in nature.
Old 08-21-11, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

bringing the thread back to the subject of the ANIMATED CLASSICS line.
Amazon now has pre orders up for Meet the Robinsons 3D,Chicken Little 3D and Bolt 3D
Old 08-21-11, 07:03 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
Amazon now has pre orders up for Meet the Robinsons 3D,Chicken Little 3D and Bolt 3D
Does not compute.
Old 08-21-11, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm always looking for more 3D content, but I just can't get excited about these 3 titles. In fact, I tried watching Meet the Robinsons last night and quit after 30 minutes. That one's strictly for kids IMHO. Haven't seen Chicken Little, but it sure looks like another one that only kids would enjoy. Saw Bolt 3D in the theater back in the day, but I didn't care for it (especially the cat). Now that Disney is releasing Lion King and Beauty & the Beast in 3D, I hope they continue the trend and release more of their classic 2D animated titles in 3D.
Old 08-21-11, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
I'm always looking for more 3D content, but I just can't get excited about these 3 titles. In fact, I tried watching Meet the Robinsons last night and quit after 30 minutes. That one's strictly for kids IMHO. Haven't seen Chicken Little, but it sure looks like another one that only kids would enjoy. Saw Bolt 3D in the theater back in the day, but I didn't care for it (especially the cat). Now that Disney is releasing Lion King and Beauty & the Beast in 3D, I hope they continue the trend and release more of their classic 2D animated titles in 3D.
I kinda like Meet the Robinsons and Chicken Little, actually. I got both on Blu-ray as anniversary selections with Disney Movie Rewards (one in each of the last two years), having not seen either before that. I readily concede they're not in the same league as The Lion King or The Princess and the Frog, but I found I liked more than I disliked about each of them.
Old 08-21-11, 11:18 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

None of those are classics... Just crappy Disney movies that came out that happen to be getting 3D Releases.
Old 08-21-11, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Bolt was a good movie, I didn't see the other 2 movies though.
Old 08-21-11, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,278 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I kinda like Meet the Robinsons and Chicken Little, actually. I got both on Blu-ray as anniversary selections with Disney Movie Rewards (one in each of the last two years), having not seen either before that.
For what it's worth, I'm right there with you. Well, mostly, I guess. I really, really like Bolt and Meet the Robinsons. Chicken Little was better than I thought it'd be -- my expectations were really low since seemingly everyone, everywhere can't stand it -- but I don't know if I'd say I thought it was good, exactly.
Old 08-21-11, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 938 Likes on 661 Posts

Yeah, Bolt is solid, MtR is pretty good and Chicken Little is not good.
Old 08-22-11, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
None of those are classics... Just crappy Disney movies that came out that happen to be getting 3D Releases.
Gizmo they are and always have been considered by disney studios to be officially part of the walt disney animated classics line.
Bolt was number 48, meet the robinsons was 47 and Chicken Little was 46

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5gqg3-5srs4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-22-11, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Does not compute.
they have always been apart of walt disney pictures animated classics line, just as Dinosaur is part of it as well.
Old 08-23-11, 08:54 AM
Suspended

Gizmo they are and always have been considered by disney studios to be officially part of the walt disney animated classics line.
Bolt was number 48, meet the robinsons was 47 and Chicken Little was 46

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5gqg3-5srs4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
How can a 5 year old flick be a "classic" Or a 3...or a 2? They may be part of the ANIMATED line, but certainly not "classic". I apparently have a container of salsa that can be called "classic" if I go by Disney's standard.
Old 08-23-11, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How can a 5 year old flick be a "classic" Or a 3...or a 2? They may be part of the ANIMATED line, but certainly not "classic". I apparently have a container of salsa that can be called "classic" if I go by Disney's standard.
They're Classics with a capital "C," and anyone who's going to keep up with Disney just has to accept this. But first, you really ought to keep up with your kitchen.
Old 08-23-11, 09:17 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
They're Classics with a capital "C," and anyone who's going to keep up with Disney just has to accept this. But first, you really ought to keep up with your kitchen.
No capital "C" in the Title of this thread

But thankfully I don't like many of their animated titles so I'll gladly be skipping on these "classics".
Old 08-23-11, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

When Lion King came out on VHS a year after it was in theaters it was a "Masterpiece" same with all the other Disney animated titles from around that time. (Classics or Masterpieces) it's just the name of the line of films.
Old 08-23-11, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No capital "C" in the Title of this thread

But thankfully I don't like many of their animated titles so I'll gladly be skipping on these "classics".
They instituted it as the official name for their theatrical animated releases that were created by walt disney feature animation back when they started releasing animated titles that were not produced in house.
Back around the time Walt Disney Television animation began being used on features (under the name Disney Toon Studios), like Duck Tales The movie, and A Goofy movie, and of course with the Cheapquels which were being released theatrically (only over seas at first), as well as other releases not produced WDFA such as the countless pooh movies from the 90s and 00's (although the latest pooh movie is the 51st animated classic, as that was produced by WDFA)

the monkees is also correct about the Lion King being promoted as a masterpiece for its home video release along with a few other titles.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.