Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Walt Disney Animated classics 2011 Bluray plans

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Walt Disney Animated classics 2011 Bluray plans

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-11, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Re: Walt Disney Animated classics 2011 Bluray plans

I guess Disney is choosing to ignore Return to Neverland (released to theaters in 2002)? I don't think I saw it as part of the "50 Animated Motion Pictures" video.
Old 08-24-11, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
I guess Disney is choosing to ignore Return to Neverland (released to theaters in 2002)? I don't think I saw it as part of the "50 Animated Motion Pictures" video.
It did have a theatrical run--taking in $109 million at the box office, not too shabby for a February release. It's not on the formal list (shown here on Wikipedia), though. My guess is that, since it was originally conceived as a direct-to-video release, it's a second-class citizen in the Disney canon.

EDIT
I scrolled down and see that Return to Never Land is on a separate list of animated titles released by DisneyToon Studios. It seems to be their DTV department, as other titles they've produced include Bambi II, Jungle Book II and the three Tinker Bell movies. So it isn't having a theatrical release that makes the difference; it's that it wasn't made by Disney proper.
Old 08-25-11, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Return to Neverland was a cheapquel, same as Jungle book II (also released theatrically) the cheapquels were all made by walt disney television animation not the feature animation dept.
same goes for all the pooh theatrical movies that disney released back in the 90s and the 00's
Old 08-25-11, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
It did have a theatrical run--taking in $109 million at the box office, not too shabby for a February release. It's not on the formal list (shown here on Wikipedia), though. My guess is that, since it was originally conceived as a direct-to-video release, it's a second-class citizen in the Disney canon.

EDIT
I scrolled down and see that Return to Never Land is on a separate list of animated titles released by DisneyToon Studios. It seems to be their DTV department, as other titles they've produced include Bambi II, Jungle Book II and the three Tinker Bell movies. So it isn't having a theatrical release that makes the difference; it's that it wasn't made by Disney proper.
thats what i mentioned above thanks for backing it up. (although return to neverland actually only made 46 million back in 2002, still impressive for a cheapquel)
Ducktales the movie was actually the first of these animated features that disney feature animation didnt have any involvement with, following through with a goofy movie and the ones you mentioned as well.
Old 08-25-11, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
thats what i mentioned above thanks for backing it up. (although return to neverland actually only made 46 million back in 2002, still impressive for a cheapquel)
Ducktales the movie was actually the first of these animated features that disney feature animation didnt have any involvement with, following through with a goofy movie and the ones you mentioned as well.
Per Box Office Mojo, the domestic take was $48,430,258 and the worldwide (i.e., domestic + foreign) was $109,862,682. So we were both pretty much right, though according to The Price Is Right rules, I was more right than you were.
Old 08-30-11, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My Best Buy accidentally had the display and everything set up early (suppose to be this sunday)
So i picked one up, they also have a sign up that said maximum 2 per person.
when i went to the counter it rung up but the sales girl after ringing it up (nothing on the computer tried to prevent the presale though) and she noticed what it said on the back about 9/4-10/4 and then she said it wasnt suppose to be on display till sunday, but she called a manager on the radio who went ahead and authorized her to go ahead and sell it to me since they had the end cap up and it wasnt an actual movie, i did notice though when i went to leave a few minutes the manager and a stock person was taking the end cap down and the metalpacks off the shelf.

After we didnt get one for Bambi, i thought for sure Bestbuy was done with these. Its very nice, simple and elegant and very classy.

Its a shame that Bambi will sort of be the odd man out in the Diamond Collection and not have a steelbookish case.

Last edited by AmityBoatTours; 08-30-11 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-31-11, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 269 Likes on 187 Posts

Its a shame that Bambi will sort of be the odd man out in the Diamond Collection and not have a steelbookish case.
Futureshop in Canada will have a metal case edition of Bambi on October 11th. (No shipping to the USA, unfortunately.)

Pictures here:

http://www.hidefninja.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11594
Old 09-01-11, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Futureshop in Canada will have a metal case edition of Bambi on October 11th. (No shipping to the USA, unfortunately.)

Pictures here:

http://www.hidefninja.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11594
yeah i had heard about it, it just sucks that something wasnt worked out to where BB would carry the cases for the Diamond edition titles atleast.
Old 09-01-11, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Amity, what's the deal with steelbook? Were there details posted earlier in the thread that I missed? What was the price on that case?
Old 09-01-11, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by John Galt
Amity, what's the deal with steelbook? Were there details posted earlier in the thread that I missed? What was the price on that case?
Its actually a metal pack, pretty good quality still though.
its 7.50 down for the deposit on the movie or trilogy set.
I dont believe it was posted on here, and i only found out about them myself the other day when i got mine, thanks to the stock person having accidentally set the end cap up on tuesday instead of this sunday.
The official release date for the pre order is sunday the 4th.
If i were you I would be at your local bestbuy at open sunday morning before the hoarders strike, as there are only 20 each store.
now my bestbuy had signs up that said limit 2 per person, before the manager took the endcap down as i was leaving.
but not sure if thats just my bestbuy or if others will have limits set on them as well.
I got my one copy i am happy.
Old 09-12-11, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 466 Likes on 320 Posts

Not sure where else to put this info. For those that like steelbook/ironpack/titaniumcase/whatever, Best Buy has several for upcoming releases with pre-order:

Lion King
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&type=category

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

Cars 2 (not yet active)
Old 09-12-11, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Is that POTC case in stores yet? I want to get it to match the other 3 POTC steelbooks.
Old 09-12-11, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 466 Likes on 320 Posts

I didn't see the POTC case as of last Tuesday. But it's a new week, and I think things like these pre-order steelbooks might go up on Sunday, not Tuesday, so it could be up now.
Old 09-12-11, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mh4268
Is that POTC case in stores yet? I want to get it to match the other 3 POTC steelbooks.
Local bestbuy said the sticker on the box said display begining Sunday Sept 18th
Old 09-12-11, 11:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Was the box set delayed? Someone in the DVDTalk section said it was delayed until January but can't find any info.
Old 09-13-11, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Local bestbuy said the sticker on the box said display begining Sunday Sept 18th
Thanks, I didn't see it when I got the Lion King and didn't want to run out there for no reason.
Old 09-17-11, 12:17 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_Ipn...=youtu.be&hd=1

Yeah....I'll pass. That looks ridiculous.
Old 09-17-11, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I can get just the first movie, without 3D or any special packaging I'll grab it
Old 09-17-11, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

The metal pack is available online with free shipping to home in case anyone couldn't find them in stores:

Lion King
Old 09-19-11, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Monkees
Was the box set delayed? Someone in the DVDTalk section said it was delayed until January but can't find any info.
I havent heard anything like that and amazon pre order is still up.
i doubt they have canceled it.

this doesnt have anything to do with your post but i just wanted to mention:

30 million dollar opening weekend for the 2 week limited engagement of Lion King 3D, I bet Disney is second guessing not having a wide release domesticly for Beauty and the Beast 3D this year, first B&B 3D sells out a majority of the show times durring its 2 week Exclusive limited engagement at El Capitan, then Lion King 3D opens wide in first place and bringing in 30 million dollars. going into the weekend it was projected to be number 1 but with only 15 million, A huge win for the weekend for disney doubling that projected gross.
B&B 3D could have easily had a 20 million dollar opening weekend

Last edited by AmityBoatTours; 09-19-11 at 02:13 AM.
Old 09-19-11, 07:34 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_Ipn...=youtu.be&hd=1

Yeah....I'll pass. That looks ridiculous.
Yep. Di$ney can try to make that into the 'circle of life' when they shove that drum up their a$$
Old 09-19-11, 08:19 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there even a big audience for that set?
Old 09-19-11, 08:23 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Is there even a big audience for that set?
I didn't think so either, but considering it was #1 this past weekend, i'm guessing there is somewhere. Which is sad.
Old 09-19-11, 08:25 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

really? Damn.
Old 09-19-11, 11:03 AM

I want the sequels, I just don't want that boxset. I hope they get released individually eventually.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.