Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-14, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - #2, but we try harder

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
According to my collection in Blu-ray.com, I bought about 115 titles in 2013. Of those, I know of only one that was a 2013 film. All others were catalog titles and/or upgrades.

I can't see coming anywhere close to that number in 2014. On my wishlist, only 5 titles have announced release dates, and I clearly do not care for the contemporary crop of films. I find most to be disposable, with limited rewatch value. I may buy Gravity, but there is nothing else on the horizon which piques my interest in the slightest.
I only buy a couple of new releases a year, with the rest Criterion, a few catalogs, box sets, or imports.

Last edited by bruceames; 01-07-14 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-07-14, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anybody notice that there were no remarks of 4k coming to physical during the 4k presentations? Sony made no mention of it.
Old 01-07-14, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Blu-ray still does well when it is priced under $20. Retailers show less and less urgency for decent media pricing outside of the Christmas shopping season and special studio-promoted discs.
I agree...and it has to do with what movie is being released. Avengers and TKDR is going to do a ton better on BR than "Les Miserables" or "Django Unchained".

If you put out a product people want to see on DVD and BR, the consumers will buy it (maybe not as much as 5 years ago)...look at Averngers, Hunger Games, TDKR, Brave.
Old 01-07-14, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant

But, the VQ on Streaming has gotten much better on Netflix. So, now I can see Renting movies online more often or just waiting until they come out on NetFlix.

Not for me. The recent problems with a Comcast/Netflix pairing means I am capped at 720p @ 3000kbps, but rarely getting better than crappy DVD quality. Comcast customers such as myself were getting "superHD" for a short time, but now neither company will acknowledge a problem on their side, giving customers the runaround.

Yay streaming!
Old 01-07-14, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,041 Likes on 858 Posts

Originally Posted by Home Media Magazine
subscription streaming — a market segment led by Netflix — rose an estimated 32.1% to $3.16 billion, from $2.39 billion in 2012.
I assume that number doesn't include Amazon Prime. So many murky things about data like this, such as combo packs being included in BD numbers.
Old 01-07-14, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JTH182
Not for me. The recent problems with a Comcast/Netflix pairing means I am capped at 720p @ 3000kbps, but rarely getting better than crappy DVD quality. Comcast customers such as myself were getting "superHD" for a short time, but now neither company will acknowledge a problem on their side, giving customers the runaround.

Yay streaming!
I live in an area with Fiber to my house. I pay an an extra $10 a month ($54 a month total) to get 10meg download and 100meg upload...and with NO limit at all.
-This makes my Netflix really scream, even more so when I use my PS3 instead of my Samsung HDTV.

I could pay another $145 a month and get TRUE 1,000meg up and down, but my wallet does not have that kind of money in it, if it did I would go for it.

Just read on my Internet Provider's website, my fiber connection to my house is "Netflix Super HD Enabled", SuperHD movies do look really good.

Last edited by Iron_Giant; 01-07-14 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-07-14, 07:30 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

December 28:

Old 01-07-14, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 339 Likes on 258 Posts

Yay!
Old 01-09-14, 09:10 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Blu-ray up 5% YoY!!!!!

http://www.degonline.org/wp-content/...ent-Report.pdf

DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group today released its year-end 2013 Home Entertainment Report, compiled by DEG members, tracking sources and retail input.*
Consumer Spending Tops $18 Billion Led by Digital, Blu-ray Sales Electronic Sell-Through Spending Soars 50 Percent Compared to 2012 Video-on-Demand Grows 5 Percent in 2013
Stability in home entertainment continued for the second straight year in 2013 as total consumer spending rose nearly one percent to $18.2 billion. Results were boosted by the growing awareness and acceptance of digital services and products offered by both online and brick and mortar retailers. Electronic sell-through (EST) –– now branded as DIGITAL HD jumped 50 percent for the year, surpassing $1 billion for the first time, while video-on-demand (VOD) spending rose five percent in 2013 from a year earlier. New platforms such as Comcast’s digital movie sellthrough service and Target Ticket, and media hub consoles like Microsoft’s Xbox One and Sony’s PlaysStation 4 contributed to growth by expanding consumer access to entertainment.
Among the highlights for 2013:
• Consumer spending on EST climbed close to 50 percent compared to 2012 representing $1 billion in consumer spending dollars.
• Overall spending on digital content rose 17 percent in 2013.
• Blu-ray Disc spending remained consistent, up about five percent for the year.
• The number of Blu-ray homes continues to grow, with total household penetration of all Blu-ray
compatible devices (including BD set-tops, PS3s and HTiBs) now at more than 72 million U.S. homes
according to numbers compiled by the DEG with input from retail tracking sources.
• There are now more than 15 million UltraViolet accounts and most major retailers support UltraViolet.
• Consumers purchased more than 38 million HDTVs in 2013. HDTV penetration is now at more than 96
million U.S. households according to numbers compiled by the DEG with input from retail tracking
sources.
• Strong consumer interest in the new Ultra HD/4K technology bodes well for the home entertainment
industry.
• Among the best-selling titles of the year are: Despicable Me 2 (Universal Studios Home Entertainment),
Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 (Summit Entertainment), The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Warner Bros. Home Entertainment), Wreck-It Ralph (Walt Disney Studios), Skyfall (MGM), Star Trek Into Darkness (Paramount Home Media Distribution), Monsters University (Walt Disney Studios), Iron Man 3 (Walt Disney Studios), Man of Steel (Warner Bros. Home Entertainment) and The Croods (Dreamworks Animation/Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment).
If you would like to discuss the DEG’s Year-End 2013 Home Entertainment Report, please contact the DEG. Regards,
Lyndsey Schaefer Director
DEG
424-248-3662 [email protected]
*Please note, these numbers are preliminary. Final numbers will be released in late January. Please contact the DEG for an updated version.
Old 01-09-14, 09:10 AM
Suspended

Wow, a whole 5%. Nearly every Blu SKU comes with a DVD and Digital Copy but the sale goes to Blu-ray.

$5 says retailers will continue to shrink space in store devoted to Blu-ray and DVD this year even with that substantial growth.
Old 01-09-14, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Wow, a whole 5%. Nearly every Blu SKU comes with a DVD and Digital Copy but the sale goes to Blu-ray.

$5 says retailers will continue to shrink space in store devoted to Blu-ray and DVD this year even with that substantial growth.
Probably why the DEG doesn't have a separate category for Blu-ray. Besides, sales are so bad, in spite of all the help from DVD and UV/DC, that isn't even worth having its own category. So they just throw it in with DVD.

Optical disc market share grew by only 3.9% last year, to 30.5%

Average cost of a Blu-ray disc dropped from $18.87 in 2012 to $18.54 in 2013.

DVD's cost $10.95 on average in 2013 vs. $11.39 in 2012

Last edited by bruceames; 01-09-14 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-09-14, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Total sell-through market share by category in 2013:

DVD: 59.2%

Blu-ray: 27.6%

Digital HD: 13.3%
Old 01-09-14, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 571 Likes on 356 Posts

I bet the diminishing sales of BD and DVD have to do with everyone holding out for 4k and 8k.
Old 01-09-14, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I bet the diminishing sales of BD and DVD have to do with everyone holding out for 4k and 8k.
No... It's the holding out for 3D conversions.

fitprod
Old 01-09-14, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 834 Likes on 703 Posts

Considering the shrinking retail shelf space available for it, Blu-ray didn't do so badly. Physical media is getting squeezed out of retail stores. It has certainly affected the CD market, as a lot of music was always impulse purchases. CD would hang around a lot longer if retail stores didn't decide en masse to largely eliminate that category.
Old 01-09-14, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 136 Posts

I think it's worth repeating that Best Buy seems to be the only major retailer squeezing out media at a fast pace. I'm not saying it won't happen elsewhere, but I am just not seeing that at Target, Walmart or Fry's around here. I mean they're not expanding either, but certainly aren't redoing their media sections every 6 months.

I wouldn't use a company which has repeatedly demonstrated its shortcomings on how to run a retail chain as an example of what the rest of the retail industry may or should do.
Old 01-09-14, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 339 Likes on 258 Posts

Wal-Mart really varies by store- I've been to a few where I spent about an hour browsing media, while others I've scanned in a few minutes and walked out thinking what a pathetic selection.
Old 01-09-14, 09:34 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I think it's worth repeating that Best Buy seems to be the only major retailer squeezing out media at a fast pace. I'm not saying it won't happen elsewhere, but I am just not seeing that at Target, Walmart or Fry's around here. I mean they're not expanding either, but certainly aren't redoing their media sections every 6 months.

I wouldn't use a company which has repeatedly demonstrated its shortcomings on how to run a retail chain as an example of what the rest of the retail industry may or should do.
Target has reduced space (and combined DVD and BD, just like Best Buy). My Wal-Mart has very little BDs now besides a dump bin.
Old 01-09-14, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 834 Likes on 703 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo

All chains have cut space for media, they've simply mixed DVD and Blu-ray together. That makes it more difficult to tell the shrinkage in total SKUs carried.
Old 01-10-14, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,806 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Wal-Mart really varies by store- I've been to a few where I spent about an hour browsing media, while others I've scanned in a few minutes and walked out thinking what a pathetic selection.
Yeah, Wal-Mart does vary by store.

The WM nearest me has a relatively small DVD/blu-ray selection. I've been in others that have twice as many as any Best Buy currently does.

Target still has a fairly sizable selection, but it seems like it's the same stuff they've had for the past three years.
Old 01-10-14, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 203 Posts

DVD will still be around for a long while, until the Studio just drop it like the did with VHS.
The bolded is never going to happen. It still accounts for over half the sales and revenue. We have been round and round about this. Blu will never ever make up that lost revenue nor will streaming. End of story. Sorry.
Old 01-10-14, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, Wal-Mart does vary by store.

The WM nearest me has a relatively small DVD/blu-ray selection. I've been in others that have twice as many as any Best Buy currently does.

Target still has a fairly sizable selection, but it seems like it's the same stuff they've had for the past three years.
Yes it definitely varies by store and by area, which is why I am careful to not indicate national trends based on limited exposure.

As far as Target goes, if they still have the same amount of end caps and aisles dedicated to media, then it really doesn't matter if they've mixed the media types. They may have less SKUs, but we've been taking about space, not SKUs. Maybe a lessening a of SKUs is their precursor to reducing shelf space, but again, that has not been the case around here. Perhaps the Target stores around here follow a different floor plan than other Targets.
Old 01-14-14, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Best Buy near me has a good size DVD/BR section. Though they have now mixed the DVD/BR together, which I do not like.
Old 01-14-14, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
Best Buy near me has a good size DVD/BR section. Though they have now mixed the DVD/BR together, which I do not like.
I don't mind that because that's how I keep mine at home. But I also keep my collection in straight alphabetical order. What kills me about stores is how they separate by genre or even price range (like Target).

Just put everything in order so I can go down my list and grab what I need!
Old 01-14-14, 05:12 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

January 4:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.