Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Wars

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-10, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Star Wars

Nice to see Lucas is still on his mission to destroy my childhood, cheers buddy!
Old 08-15-10, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RayChuang
If I remember correctly, didn't an ex-wife of Lucas demand compensation if they "cleaned up" the original 1977, 1980 and 1983 releases? A compensation that could run into nearly an 8-figure sum? That's why Lucas only prefers the upgraded "Special Edition" releases that were never edited by his ex-wife.
I've heard that too. Is it a rumor or fact?
Old 08-15-10, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by acdcrocks1980
Everyone said the same thing when it was announced Avatar was coming out without any bonus features, and its the best selling bluray ever.
In so many ways, the community at DVDTalk does NOT reflect the buying habits of mainstream America. So when you say "everyone" I wonder do you mean on DVDTalk or did you take a cross section of the American people and get some statistics to back that up? I wonder how many DVDTalkers bought the bare bones edition?
Old 08-15-10, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I actually have to give Lucas credit for his ongoing tinkering; I don't think it speaks to the kind of "artistic visionary" his image has been crafted around, but at least it means that each time out we're not completely double-dipping. I was part of the "leave it alone" crowd once upon a time, but I've been presented with so many re-releases of so many other titles in the DVD era that I've come to actually look forward to the little moments where I pause and say, "Hey! That's not how that used to be!"
I don't mind him tinkering with the films either. But why can't he follow the lead of his peers like Spielberg and release the other versions as well? The Close Encounters of the Third Kind Blu-Ray has three versions of the movie on it. Lucas could include the previous editions if he wanted to. And that's the main complaint I see...not the tinkering but this arrogant attitude he takes that the previous versions of the movie suddenly now don't exist to him anymore because he decided to make some more changes.

I've never seen a director as unhappy with his own work as Lucas.
Old 08-15-10, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
- better contrast to eliminate Vader's "bubble gum" lightsaber
I don't think contrast is the issue, there's already too much in that 04 release to begin with. I just hope they fix most of the issues with that. Still boggles my mind we got these movies with as many errors as we did... doesn't anyone sit and watch them before they're ready to be mass produced?
Old 08-15-10, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by acdcrocks1980
you people all need to stop bitching, holy shit. Did anyone really expect the original releases in 1080p in this bluray set? Over 75% of the people who are saying they won't buy these on bluray because of that probably will. Just accept the fact that the original releases won't see release until after lucas dies.
I have. It would've been a welcome surprise to hear an announcement otherwise, one I was hoping might come after Lucas had been "weathered" over the years by the fans. And I guess you can consider me in the 25% of "honest" ones who won't. It's not out of protest, mind you, but simply because my interest in the universe has dwindled more and more with all the additions and tweaks Lucas has made. If he were to remaster them in their original form, then I'd cough up the money for those films.

Old 08-15-10, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts
Re: Star Wars Saga (all six films) CONFIRMED for "not too distant future"

Originally Posted by Ranger
One of the best parts of ROTJ was the first time we saw Luke with the green saber in action. I can see why the building was cut, would have ruined the surprise.
It's a decent little scene we've all wondered about for almost 30 years, but I have to agree with this. I think it will detract from that first moment on the skiff of Luke brandishing his saber.

Some of these things from the SE on, should be relegated to a deleted scenes section on the dvd/blu and not incorporated back in.
Old 08-15-10, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll probably buy this set for the special features only.
Old 08-15-10, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Watching the OT on Spike HD now. I often forget how much I love these movies. The only thing that I can't stand about the SE's is Greedo shooting first. Everything else I can live with, maybe not wooden Anakin in ROTJ but that doesn't anger me the way the Han thing does.
Old 08-15-10, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
Watching the OT on Spike HD now. I often forget how much I love these movies. The only thing that I can't stand about the SE's is Greedo shooting first. Everything else I can live with, maybe not wooden Anakin in ROTJ but that doesn't anger me the way the Han thing does.
I'd prefer the SEs didn't exist but I would feel much better if they following changes were excised:

Greedo shooting first.
Jabba and Han
The revamped dance number in Jabba's palace.

Other than that, the changes are tolerable.
Old 08-15-10, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jabba/Han is a horrible addition and ruins the flow of the movie but it's so cheesy that I can laugh at it. The dance number, like the pod race in Phantom, is so long and unnecessary that I don't know what he was thinking doing adding it in.
Old 08-15-10, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I'd prefer the SEs didn't exist but I would feel much better if they following changes were excised:

Greedo shooting first.
Jabba and Han

This.

I think most of the changes, especially the 2004 version, are for the better. Except the noted changes here.
Old 08-15-10, 03:14 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Get rid of those scenes along with the extended Wampa attack in Empire. Totally ruins the scene to show the Wampa sitting there pigging out.

Also, if they could bring back the original yub-yub music for the end of Jedi.
Old 08-15-10, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Timber

Greedo shooting first.
Jabba and Han

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
This.

I think most of the changes, especially the 2004 version, are for the better. Except the noted changes here.
So you're all okay with that total waste of a scene in Empire of Vader's re-dubbed line, and pointless travel back to his star destroyer with the alternate Jedi take shoved in there?

It completely kills the pacing and excitement of the sequence, but you're all okay with it?

That's the one massive mistake made for the SE of Empire.

Last edited by Nick Martin; 08-15-10 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-15-10, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
So you're all okay with that total waste of a scene in Empire of Vader's re-dubbed line, and pointless travel back to his star destroyer with the alternate Jedi take shoved in there?

It completely kills the pacing and excitement of the sequence, but you're all okay with it?

I guess we all react differently to the changes. That Empire change doesn't bother me nearly as much as the new/extended Emperor conversation where he tries to club us over the head with Vader's agenda.
Old 08-15-10, 03:44 PM

Greedo shooting first.
Jabba and Han

I agree...but I think I can deal with the Jabba/Han thing if they would put the fucking original song back at the end of Jedi, and remove that AWFUL "Weesa Free!!!" from the Gungan celebration. The Greedo incident, along with the Dance number and song at the end of Jedi are the three things I can't stand. I cringe when I hear that fucking song.

However...almost the entirety of the other changes are for the better. The one thing I'm surprised was never fixed was the lightsabers from the Vader/Kenobi fight at the end of A New Hope. How they got through both the '97 and '04 upgrades is beyond me.

Regardless...sign me up for these. I wonder if the supplements from the DVD box bonus disc are going to carry over? Empire of Dreams is fantastic...

Last edited by lordzeppelin; 08-15-10 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-15-10, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Martin

Dive off cliffs much?

I said for the MOST part.

The items you mentioned, while heralded by some like you as a sign of armeggedon, don't bother me all that much. I neither like nor dislike them.

Fuck. Is there a more polarizing topic than this one?
Old 08-15-10, 04:03 PM

Is it just me or did an entire thread disappear? There was some REALLY good, bicker-free conversation in that thread. What gives?
Old 08-15-10, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Is it just me or did an entire thread disappear? There was some REALLY good, bicker-free conversation in that thread. What gives?
You mean this one? I believe it was abandoned because thread subscribers were upset that the bicker-free conversation didn't include the kind of official confirmation that this thread had its beginning. You know, before it became about who hates what changes.
Old 08-15-10, 04:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you referring to this thread: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/572...nt-future.html

I split this off because it's got actual news.
Old 08-15-10, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fuck. Is there a more polarizing topic than this one?
It's only polarizing because Lucas refuses to release the original cuts in any decent format. IF they had been anamorphic on the DVDs I could have lived with that and been fine with them upcoverted on HDTV. In HD with zoom they look worse than most You Tube videos.

This will continue to be a very polarizing subject for this reason alone. My main question is how polarizing is this at Lucas Film? Does Rick McCallum or anybody else who works there just want to take Lucas out behind the ranch and beat him for being so stubborn about this?
Old 08-15-10, 05:39 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

How many of the "no-buys" will receive them as gifts I wonder.

I can't wait for these to come out.

The part with Han/Jabba wouldn't be so bad if they cut away from Han as he wallks behind Jabba and then cut back. There's a quick cut of Chewbacca right beforehand they could easily put in between those two shots that would make it work.

I'm watching Jedi on Spike right now too and I would also remove the Sarlaac pit "beak".
Old 08-15-10, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Greedo shooting first.
Jabba and Han

I can live with (while wincing) most of the changes. But the updated musical number is where I either close my eyes and go to mute or just switch the channel. Terrible. Just terrible.
Old 08-15-10, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
I can live with (while wincing) most of the changes. But the updated musical number is where I either close my eyes and go to mute or just switch the channel. Terrible. Just terrible.
For me, it's not even that "Lapti Nek" was particularly great...it's that "Jedi Rocks" is particularly bad.

And if you enjoy the fun kind of bad, I highly suggest you track down the single release of "Lapti Nek" with the club mix version. It belongs on every Star Wars fan's iPod, right next to Christmas with the Stars and the audio discs from The Star Wars Vault.
Old 08-15-10, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I have always contended if Lucas just spiffed up the special effects/got rid of the matte boxes and didn't change/add any physical scenes in the 3 OT movies, then I don't think there would be as much an uproar.

Once Lucas started tampering with actual scenes and actors, that is when he opened up a can worms with fans who like/dislike certain scenes. I personally hate the insertion of Hayden as a Force Ghost at the end of the ROTJ, let me repeat I fucking hate that change!!!! I know friends who thinks that changing Han shooting first is the worst change. Other say the Jedi Rocks number is the worst, etc.

I even think Lucas could have gotten away with changing Obiwans Hutt in SW, and the backround to Cloud City, and fans wouldn't have been in as much of an uproar, but taking out original actors (Sebastian Shaw for Hayden) to a movie is pretty creepy to me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.