Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Wars

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-11, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
re: Star Wars

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
alright, tiger.
Sorry. I don't mean to become so aggressive about this point, but it really bothers me whenever people have adamant opinions about something despite what the actual truth and nature of the subject may be. In this case, the prevailing opinion is that you'd be a fool to want to watch a movie on a three inch screen. The technology, though, allows for a lot more diversity than just viewing on the iPod itself and that's never acknowledged by the anti-DC camp.
Old 03-03-11, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
Why, when you can just watch the actual movie dvd ? It just doesn't make sense to watch a movie on a tiny iPod screen.
I guess you have the technology to drag your TV/Blu-ray player wherever you go. I fly often and, while I may not watch the entire movie, it's a nice option to have.

I don't seek 'em out. I buy a Blu-ray, it happens to have one so why not use it if I feel like it. Very simply...it's my choice to use it, just like it's YOUR choice not to.
Old 03-03-11, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I guess you have the technology to drag your TV/Blu-ray player wherever you go. I fly often and, while I may not watch the entire movie, it's a nice option to have.
Exactly. I travel quite a bit for my job and I love how easy it is to throw 4 or 5 movies on my iPad and have something to watch sitting in an airport, on a plane, in a hotel, etc. I wouldn't pay any kind of premium for a digital copy and they don't affect my buying habits, but I definitely appreciate when a movie includes one.
Old 03-04-11, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And shortly after I posted my opinion I read that TOM is being readied for a 3d theatrical release next year

With this schedule by 2020 or so we will see the real IT release on blue ray or the next format
Old 03-04-11, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Sorry. I don't mean to become so aggressive about this point, but it really bothers me whenever people have adamant opinions about something despite what the actual truth and nature of the subject may be. In this case, the prevailing opinion is that you'd be a fool to want to watch a movie on a three inch screen. The technology, though, allows for a lot more diversity than just viewing on the iPod itself and that's never acknowledged by the anti-DC camp.
Not to go into the debate more, but what would be the point of watching a digital copy on your computer that you would then hook up to your TV set... I mean you have the Blu-ray. But other than that I totally get it.

As for the anti-DC camp, well the point is that we don't have a choice to buy a Blu-ray without digital copies. Nope nearly every new release we're all stuck with an extra disc that we'll never use. So, yeah that's why everyone gets upset.
Old 03-04-11, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Not to go into the debate more, but what would be the point of watching a digital copy on your computer that you would then hook up to your TV set... I mean you have the Blu-ray. But other than that I totally get it.

As for the anti-DC camp, well the point is that we don't have a choice to buy a Blu-ray without digital copies. Nope nearly every new release we're all stuck with an extra disc that we'll never use. So, yeah that's why everyone gets upset.
Pretty simple, not everyone has their computer hooked up to a TV, and they could also be watching on a laptop. That and many digital copies come with portable versions, which make it easy for people to watch on their smart phones.

I don't see why people would be upset about a disc they won't use. Leave it in the case and never touch it. Who cares.
Old 03-04-11, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Digital copies are really only useful on an iPhone or iPad or non-apple equivalents. Why would you want to watch that version on a computer screen or TV? The quality is crappy even compared to a regular ol' DVD, and especially compared to a Blu-ray disc!
Old 03-04-11, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe because you want to watch it when you are not home?
Old 03-04-11, 11:49 AM

Everything you could ever want to know about digital copies.
Old 03-04-11, 11:50 AM

I'm in the camp that doesn't understand why people give a rat's ass about digital copies. If I want to watch a movie, I'll watch a movie.... not a teenie ass phone screen
Old 03-04-11, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last year I bought this thing called an iPad that has a significantly bigger screen than an iPhone or iPod. Whenever I travel, it's a pretty good way to pass the time to have the option of having about 6 movies on there. I used to not care about the Digital Copies and just left them in the case of the Blus that I had bought but now I just add it to iTunes.
Old 03-04-11, 12:39 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I have an HT with an 84" screen. Watching a film on anything else is a waste of time. If I lived at a bus station I might be stoked about a digital copy.

We're talking about Star Wars here...fucking STAR WARS! Star Wars on an iPad?! Why don't I watch Lawrence of Arabia in black & white on a 1954 Phillco with an oval shaped 7.5" screen?
Old 03-04-11, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I have an HT with an 84" screen. Watching a film on anything else is a waste of time. If I lived at a bus station I might be stoked about a digital copy.

We're talking about Star Wars here...fucking STAR WARS! Star Wars on an iPad?! Why don't I watch Lawrence of Arabia in black & white on a 1954 Phillco with an oval shaped 7.5" screen?
An iPad at a 1.3-foot distance gives the same 30-degree viewing angle that you get at an 11.4-foot distance with your 84" screen. Sure, there are plenty of other issues that make a nice television a superior and preferable viewing option, but the iPad is far from the shitty viewing experience that you seem to think it is.
Old 03-04-11, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Last year I bought this thing called an iPad that has a significantly bigger screen than an iPhone or iPod. Whenever I travel, it's a pretty good way to pass the time to have the option of having about 6 movies on there. .
Wow, only 6? Sounds like a pain in the ass.
Old 03-04-11, 02:33 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher
Sure, there are plenty of other issues that make a nice television a superior and preferable viewing option.
So many in fact that it actually negates your entire arguement.
Old 03-04-11, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you all go back to hating on Star Wars and people that like Star Wars instead of each other's display portable display preferences (when applicable)?
Old 03-04-11, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

For fuck's sake, not that David Lynch clip again. Have you seen David Lynch's last movie? It's unwatchable on any screen larger than three inches!

David Lynch also passionately argues that chapter stops are evil and destroy the "continuum" of watching a movie. Do you agree with that too?

Basically, what I'm saying is that David Lynch is a nutjob. (And I used to be a fan.) His opinions on Digital Copies mean about as much to me as Charlie Sheen's opinions on sobriety.

I have no problem watching movies on my phone when I travel or during my daily commute. I am sick to death of this "How dare you watch movies on a 3-inch screen? The horror... The horror..." attitude.
Old 03-04-11, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Coincidentally, David Lynch was asked to direct Return of the Jedi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJQ4vCu-S0U
Old 03-04-11, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
Coincidentally, David Lynch was asked to direct Return of the Jedi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJQ4vCu-S0U
That would have been awful. We all saw the wonders he did with his mainstream sci-fi epic disaster Dune. Ricard Marquad did a perfectly good job. And I don't want to hear any more crap about the ewoks which probably were up to George Lucas, not Marquad. And anyway, I love the ewoks and so does my 5 year old son!
Old 03-04-11, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
Wow, only 6? Sounds like a pain in the ass.
A digital copy can take up like 2 gigs so even if you have the 64gb iPod Touch (the biggest model currently available, though there are rumors of a 128gb) it's never going to store movies the same way someone with a high-capacity iPod will store their entire music collections.

I've had like 3 on mine at once but I quickly removed them because I never watched them. If I had a long daily commute or was planning on a long, boring road trip as a passenger I might put one or two on though.
Old 03-04-11, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Because my laptop and iPod can go places my Blu-ray player isn't going. Again, the Digital Copy is not a primary format; it's the one that I can carry with me without being bogged down with discs I don't want to lose, have stolen, etc. while I'm not at home.

Do you pitch a fit over commentary tracks you'll never listen to or behind-the-scenes featurettes you don't care to watch that are on a second disc? Because those cost studios money to produce, too, and they factor into the price.

Originally Posted by al_bundy
And shortly after I posted my opinion I read that TOM is being readied for a 3d theatrical release next year

With this schedule by 2020 or so we will see the real IT release on blue ray or the next format
This ain't Twitter; you've got more than 140 characters to use. Please spell out titles for those of us who have no idea what the hell you're talking about.
Old 03-04-11, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mabuse
So many in fact that it actually negates your entire arguement.
maxfisher: For a lot of reasons, sleeping in my house is superior to sleeping in a hotel. But, when I travel, a hotel's really not all that bad and I'm glad to have it for convenience.

Mabuse: Sleeping in one's house is so much better than sleeping in a hotel that it negates your entire argument. I don't understand you. Maybe if I lived in a bus station.

George Lucas: Sweet! The geeks are too busy with nonsense arguments and exaggerated comparisons to notice I'm adding Ewoks to every movie for the Blu-rays.
Old 03-04-11, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by maxfisher
George Lucas: Sweet! The geeks are too busy with nonsense arguments and exaggerated comparisons to notice I'm adding Ewoks to every movie for the Blu-rays.
The prequels could use some Ewoks!
Old 03-04-11, 04:01 PM

I only asked about DC's because I live away from home, without a TV, and only my laptop to watch any movies.

In theory, I could do the wrong thing and pirate movies, which I don't do.

Or, like Back to the Future, I could get the digital copies on my computer which I greatly appreciated and used. I wish MORE movies came with digital copies quite frankly, because a lot of the older titles don't come with them, but those are movies I kind of like more. I have just about 30 Digital Copied movies on my HD, I quite enjoy being able to watch the movies away from home
Old 03-04-11, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TerryAlexFan
I only asked about DC's because I live away from home, without a TV, and only my laptop to watch any movies.
The question is: where do you hang your hat? 'Cause that's home, TV or not.

I wish MORE movies came with digital copies quite frankly, because a lot of the older titles don't come with them, but those are movies I kind of like more. I have just about 30 Digital Copied movies on my HD, I quite enjoy being able to watch the movies away from home
I've got 14, including two cuts of Watchmen (theatrical and director's). What's interesting with Disney is that they only include DCs with their new releases. However, when you redeem the Disney Magic Rewards code you get the option of paying to add the digital version to be streamed from your Disney Movie Rewards page. (I haven't done it, so I don't know if you get to download it as well.)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.