HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Wars

Old 01-31-11, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

re: Star Wars

Fixed. The news isn't that the Blu-rays will have the SEs, but that they won't have any other version as well.
Old 01-31-11, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Fixed. The news isn't that the Blu-rays will have the SEs, but that they won't have any other version as well.
So a potential quote from a site in another language with no source is just taken at face value? I think we all fully expect the primary presentation on these new Blu-Rays to be the same "Special Edition" from the DVDs or even a 2011 "Special Edition" with further tweaks. Until we know the contents of the Blu-Rays in full, there are lots of reasons this basic info could lead to reports that are inaccurate or only partially accurate.
Old 02-01-11, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The Digital Bits? "You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"
Old 02-01-11, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
The Digital Bits? "You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"
What has Bill Hunt done to warrant such disgust? What makes him the scorn of so many on this forum?

--THX
Old 02-01-11, 02:14 AM

i like him. i started to notice people hating on him here when he backed blu-ray over hd-dvd. but i always preferred blu-ray so it didn't matter to me.

i have since seen people point out that he gives some supposedly bad bd releases glowing reviews. maybe he is turning a bit into a harry knowles type who just says everything is awesome to make good with the studios to secure more releases?

i don't know. i only go there for news/rumors, not reviews.
Old 02-01-11, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I interpret that to mean that these will be further tweaked special editions of the films, and will not be including the original versions of the films.

I don't think it means that it's just using the 2004 DVD editions, but that's just my opinion.
Old 02-01-11, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by droidguy1119 View Post
So a potential quote from a site in another language with no source is just taken at face value?
It's a magazine, and the quote is from Vincent Marcas, marketing at 20th Century Fox.

Here's the relevant text from the interview with translation:
Hva med DVD-utgavene av Star Wars?

What about DVD editions of Star Wars?

De vil trolig vare eilgjengelige, men ikke i en ny utgave. Vi fokuserer na alt pa Blu-ray-utgavene

They will probably last eilgjengelige, but not in a new edition. We focus now on all Blu-ray editions

Når vil dere selge de sees Star Wars BD-ene separat. Selesagt ban en forbandler dele app boksene, om det er oushedig, men nar vil dere tilby dem seperat

When will you sell those seen Star Wars BD-one separately. Sele put a ban forbandler sharing app boxes, whether it is oushedig, but when will you offer them separately

Det har vi ingen dato for ennå

We have no dates yet

Hvilken version av filmen vil vi nå få se? George Lucas bar gjort manage revisjoner gjornom aresne

Which version of the film, we now see? George Lucas bar made manage revisions gjornom aresne

Dette vil bli de mest oppdaterte versjonen av filmene. Du har original versjonen, detter 1997-spesial-utgavene, sa dette bli special edition-klippet med enda mer bildeforbedringer, Lucasfilm har gjort remasteringen

This will be the most updated version of the films. You have the original version, this 1997 special editions, said this will be the special edition-clipped with even more enhancements, Lucasfilm has made no remaster

Hva sier du til fans som vil ha de tre original versjonene atgits?

What do you say to fans who want the three original versions atgits?

De versjonene som nå utgis på BD er de some er mest slik den visionen George Lucas har for filmene

The versions that are now published on BD is something they are most like The vision that George Lucas has for the films

George Lucas vil ed ikke utgi orignalene da

George Lucas will not release original oath then?

Det kan jeg ikke kommente

I can not comment on

Hva kan da si om ekstramaterialet pa BD-ene?

What can say about the extras on the BD-one?

Hver av trilogiene vil besta av fire discer, sa det blir en bonusdisc for hvert sett. Og i sagasettet, med alle seks filmene, blir det seks discer og tre discer med bonus. Si der blir det en disc mer med bonus.

Each of the trilogy consisting of four discs, said it is a bonus disc for each set. And the thing set, with all six films, the six disc and three disc with bonus. Say there is a disc with more bonus.
The translation's a bit rough, I had to transcribe the text from the low-res magazine image (page 8) into Google translate, and I don't think I read all the words correctly. Note that he says that the Blu-rays will have the most recent edition of the films, but he specifically doesn't comment on whether Lucas will release the original versions.

Source:
http://www.release.no/magazineView.asp?whichOne=2011-01

Last edited by Jay G.; 02-01-11 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-01-11, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rubix View Post
i like him. i started to notice people hating on him here when he backed blu-ray over hd-dvd. but i always preferred blu-ray so it didn't matter to me.
I never owned HD-DVD and now own a blu-ray player, but I found his enthusiastic support of blu-ray and disdain for HD-DVD to border on trollery. I never had an iron that fire, and even I found his attitude to be rather off-putting.

At the time, I was hoping for combo HD-DVD/Blu-ray players to become the standard...
Old 02-01-11, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm shocked... SHOCKED!
Old 02-01-11, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by pinata242 View Post
I'm far more stoked to see The Abyss basically confirmed for this year.
really? I thought Cameron was involved with the 3D-ing of 'Titanic'
Old 02-01-11, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giles View Post
really? I thought Cameron was involved with the 3D-ing of 'Titanic'
He is. Obviously, the man is able to walk and chew gum at the same time, because both The Abyss and True Lies are due this year.
Old 02-01-11, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by aintnosin View Post
He is. Obviously, the man is able to walk and chew gum at the same time, because both The Abyss and True Lies are due this year.
And both will be in my collection when released!
Old 02-01-11, 10:28 AM

well he IS 'King of the World'
Old 02-01-11, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And yet it took him 15 years to approve new transfers for either of these films because he was "too busy."
Old 02-01-11, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
And yet it took him 15 years to approve new transfers for either of these films because he was "too busy."
What with all the walking and the gum, it's asking quite a bit of him to do a third thing.
Old 02-01-11, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Latest special editions, could just mean it's GL's "latest" version of the movie. I'm pretty sure we will see CGI Yoda in TPM.

As for not including the OT, did anyone really expect that?
Old 02-01-11, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy View Post
Latest special editions, could just mean it's GL's "latest" version of the movie. I'm pretty sure we will see CGI Yoda in TPM.
I'll admit it: I hope there are more changes to Episodes IV, V, and VI. There are many other things that could be improved, and watching each new iteration is like seeing the movies for the first time again.

--THX
Old 02-02-11, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX View Post
I'll admit it: I hope there are more changes to Episodes IV, V, and VI. There are many other things that could be improved, and watching each new iteration is like seeing the movies for the first time again.

--THX
This is such a ridiculous statement. Are you for updating The Wizard of Oz and the 1930's landscapes that are in the movie? Are you for updating Ben Hur and CGI'ing a new Chariot Scene?

Ever classic movie doesn't need to be touched or tampered with as Lucas has done to the OT movies. Are you telling me you couldn't watch the OT movies before 1997? Are you telling me you couldn't watch ESB before 1997 because they didn't show the outside landscape of Cloud City?

Leave the movies alone......
Old 02-02-11, 05:36 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd like to see them fix the fucking black slug on the side of the Emperor's head in ROTJ once and for all...
Old 02-02-11, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX View Post

--THX
More like CertifiedINSANE
Old 02-02-11, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by coli View Post
This is such a ridiculous statement. Are you for updating The Wizard of Oz and the 1930's landscapes that are in the movie? Are you for updating Ben Hur and CGI'ing a new Chariot Scene?
Would those changes be done by the original creator?
Old 02-02-11, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
More like CertifiedINSANE
Old 02-02-11, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind View Post
Would those changes be done by the original creator?
Lucas as a storyteller from ' 97+ (actually '82+) has 'values' that seem to be in such diametric opposition to Lucas the storyteller of '77 & '80, that it's nearly impossible to believe they are the same artist. The Lucas of '77 & '80 wouldn't kill the forward momentum of a climactic scene just to insert an inessential shot of a spaceship landing.
The original creator of SW died a long time ago...from a certain point of view.
Old 02-02-11, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe View Post
I'd like to see them fix the fucking black slug on the side of the Emperor's head in ROTJ once and for all...
I thought I was the only one who can see that.
I have tried to point it to people in the past and people just don't see it.
Thank you.
I'm not crazy.

Yea...he should fix that!
What was he covering up anyway?????
It has perplexed me for years!
Old 02-02-11, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by coli View Post

Ever classic movie doesn't need to be touched or tampered with as Lucas has done to the OT movies. Are you telling me you couldn't watch the OT movies before 1997? Are you telling me you couldn't watch ESB before 1997 because they didn't show the outside landscape of Cloud City?

Leave the movies alone......
The way I see it is, we are not going to get the original originals any time soon, so I would like to new editions be altered again in hopes that some of the fuck ups from the 1997 and 2004 editions are fixed, like maybe making Han shoot first again.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.