Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Paramount Announces Sapphire Series (BD) -- Braveheart, Gladiator, Forrest Gump

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Paramount Announces Sapphire Series (BD) -- Braveheart, Gladiator, Forrest Gump

Old 06-16-12, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Paramount Announces Sapphire Series (BD) -- Braveheart, Gladiator, Forrest Gump

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I was just referring to in general though I think they are one of the worst studios overall. This is their 100th Anniversary and it hardly seems like they're doing anything special for it or rolling out some catalog titles. All they've done so far is taken some of their pre-existing releases and slapped a 100th Anniversary slipcover on them.
Yeah but the slipcover nerds are going apeshit over them. Like when they were 8 and the TV commercial would say "collect the whole set". They never lost that desire
Old 06-16-12, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: Paramount Announces Sapphire Series (BD) -- Braveheart, Gladiator, Forrest Gump

Ditching the blue borders that Paramount forced on the line makes way for more elegant presentations, like this:

Therefore, I'm more than happy to see the Sapphire Series' design template fall to the wayside, along with the somewhat-forced collector's dynamic that accompanied the line.
Old 03-10-14, 08:15 PM

In reading this site's review for the Forrest Gump Blu-ray, Sapphire Series, it states the following..."As mentioned earlier, Disc Two is where the newer, meatier material (in HD) is, starting with "Greenbow Diary" (25:59), which examines various stages in the production from a "fly-on-the-wall" perspective. The cast and crew from many of those scenes are interviewed, sharing their thoughts on the shots they completed. There are also brief glimpses at scenes that didn't make the cut.

Are these actual deleted scenes? If so, I would think this would be the version to get. Anyway, if anyone on here that has this copy can confirm one way or the other, it would be appreciated...thanks.
Old 03-11-14, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Two awesome BD review sites.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Forres...y/4736/#Review

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/277/forrestgump.html

No mention of deleted scenes.
Old 03-12-14, 12:00 AM
Banned

Probably one of those things where they show the deleted footage in the doc. Not a big deal. Happens a lot sometimes in features.
Old 03-17-14, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Oh yeah, I've checked out other sites' reviews, that is why I found this sites' review for FG somewhat confusing, as it seems to imply that there are deleted scenes included for the Sapphire Series release.

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Probably one of those things where they show the deleted footage in the doc. Not a big deal. Happens a lot sometimes in features.
If that's the case, I wonder why they didn't include the deleted scenes, if there are any, as a separate bonus feature.

Anyway, does anyone out there have the sapphire series release of Forrest Gump to confirm one way or the other? All I really care about when purchasing any release is that I have the original theatrical version, along with any other cuts, plus deleted scenes.
Old 03-17-14, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There has only been one Forrest Gump Blu-ray:

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparison....php?fid=15301
Old 03-17-14, 12:50 AM

There was also a Best Buy exclusive release over a year ago. Anyway, just wanting to have someone confirm, that has the sapphire release of Forrest Gump, about the possible deleted scenes.
Old 05-17-19, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I figured I'd give this thread a bump instead of starting a new one. Did anyone get the newly remastered bluray of Forrest Gump? I haven't watched it in years or bought any of the previous blurays. I like the look of the remaster and all the previous extras are included.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Forre...238653/#Review
Old 05-19-19, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
I figured I'd give this thread a bump instead of starting a new one. Did anyone get the newly remastered bluray of Forrest Gump? I haven't watched it in years or bought any of the previous blurays. I like the look of the remaster and all the previous extras are included.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Forre...238653/#Review
Just received my copy yesterday, but haven't looked at it yet.

BTW, the 2 other movies mentioned in the OP (Gladiator and Braveheart) have been released on 4K UHD.
Old 05-19-19, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The 25th anniversary bluray is the only release with the new remaster.
Old 05-20-19, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have the Diamond Luxe Edition. I really like that package design and wish we'd seen more of those.
Old 05-23-19, 01:00 PM

I just picked up the Forrest Gump steelbook from Best Buy, but haven't watched it yet.
Old 05-23-19, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by melasnus View Post

BTW, the 2 other movies mentioned in the OP (Gladiator and Braveheart) have been released on 4K UHD.
I've had Braveheart on my watchlist since it came out. Haven't seen much in the way of sales though. Stuck hovering around $20+.