Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Paramount Announces Sapphire Series (BD) -- Braveheart, Gladiator, Forrest Gump

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Paramount Announces Sapphire Series (BD) -- Braveheart, Gladiator, Forrest Gump

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-11, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Paramount Announces Sapphire Series (BD) -- Braveheart, Gladiator, Forrest Gump

Originally Posted by John Galt
^Just got mine and Gladiator has a white UPC. That is the old version, correct?
Mostly likely, yes. I had an old version, called up Paramount, they gave me an address, mailed it in and got my new one 3 days later. Not bad.
Old 11-19-11, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Paramount Announces Sapphire Series (BD) -- Braveheart, Gladiator, Forrest Gump

^Just got mine and Gladiator has a white UPC. That is the old version, correct?
Did you buy Gladiator by itself, or did it come from the 2-pack?

I got the 2-pack and mine is the corrected copy. Here are ways to check based on the packaging.

Yellow sku and the words "2-Disc Set" above Paramount logo on the ACTUAL COVER INSERT.

White sku WITHOUT the words "2-Disc Set" above the logo.

To tell during the movie, if the GLADIATOR title remains black the entire time, you have the corrected version. If it starts to turn yellow/gold at any time, it's supposed to be the old crappy version.

I sampled the new disc the other night and it looked fantastic. I loved the cold bluish tint in the opening battle scene. Just superb photography.
Old 11-19-11, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by QuikSilver
Hi folks, I picked up a copy of Gladiator today but I am still a bit confused if I bought the corrected version. My copy has a yellow UPC code, and the words 2-Disc Set is missing on the back side of the slipcover. However, the words 2-Disc Set is present on the backside of the actual case. Did I buy the correct one? I popped in the disc and I have no idea if the "banding" or "blocking" is present or not. I don't know how it looks like.

Anyone's input would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Does "2-disc set" appear on the actual cover insert? If it does, you have the corrected copy. also see the note above about the GLADIATOR title.
Old 11-20-11, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Did you buy Gladiator by itself, or did it come from the 2-pack?

I got the 2-pack and mine is the corrected copy. Here are ways to check based on the packaging.

Yellow sku and the words "2-Disc Set" above Paramount logo on the ACTUAL COVER INSERT.

To tell during the movie, if the GLADIATOR title remains black the entire time, you have the corrected version. If it starts to turn yellow/gold at any time, it's supposed to be the old crappy version.

I sampled the new disc the other night and it looked fantastic. I loved the cold bluish tint in the opening battle scene. Just superb photography.
I bought the 2 pack. It has the white UPC and does say "2 Disc version" above the Paramount logo. The whole reason I bought this was to replace the old version that I had.
Old 11-20-11, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, unless i'm mistaken, the corrected copy has some commercial for the Sapphire Series, which the uncorrected copy does not...
Old 11-20-11, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought the 2 pack. It has the white UPC and does say "2 Disc version" above the Paramount logo. The whole reason I bought this was to replace the old version that I had.
Just to clarify. 2-DISC SET is shown above the Paramount logo on the case artwork, right? I'm not referring to the slipcover.

The best way to check is make sure the GLADIATOR title stays black the entire time. If it doesn't, you have the old copy.
Old 11-21-11, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Amazon has Saving Private Ryan right now for $14.00 with two hours remaining
Old 11-22-11, 07:12 AM

Just to clarify. 2-DISC SET is shown above the Paramount logo on the case artwork, right? I'm not referring to the slipcover.

The best way to check is make sure the GLADIATOR title stays black the entire time. If it doesn't, you have the old copy.
Right, it's on the artwork, there was no slipcover. I haven't opened it because it seems pretty obvious it's the old version. I'm just planning on swapping it out locally during the holidays.
Old 11-22-11, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Right, it's on the artwork, there was no slipcover. I haven't opened it because it seems pretty obvious it's the old version. I'm just planning on swapping it out locally during the holidays.
Yep. That's the old version. Did you get this from Amazon?

They are apparently still sending out the old copies of Gladiator in the single release. This is the first time I've heard anyone getting the old version in the Braveheart/Gladiator 2-pack.
Old 11-25-11, 06:51 AM

^Yeah, in the 2 pack with Braveheart.
Old 11-26-11, 05:27 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I just got my 2 pack today, and my Gladiator has a white UPC sticker on the case, but it does say "2-DISC SET" above the logo in the bottom right of the back art. I guess I can pop it in to be sure, but it looks like I may have gotten the old one.
Old 11-27-11, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Take off the UPC sticker and you should see that you have actually have a yellow UPC on the case below that. That's how mine was.
Old 11-27-11, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a picture of the one I got in a two pack from Amazon a week ago:
Spoiler:
As cgray said, the yellow UPC was under the white two pack UPC sticker on the Gladiator shrinkwrap. The disc also has "R2" on the inner ring. The two movies are in individual shrinkwrapped cases, then shrinkwrapped together and covered by a slip cover.
Old 11-27-11, 06:08 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by lizard
the yellow UPC was under the white two pack UPC sticker on the Gladiator shrinkwrap. The disc also has "R2" on the inner ring. The two movies are in individual shrinkwrapped cases, then shrinkwrapped together and covered by a slip cover.
Okay, thanks. The UPC underneath was also white, and I checked the inner ring and I do not see any R2 on any of the numbers. I guess I'll contact them tomorrow.
Old 11-27-11, 07:15 PM
Political Exile

This is still the current replacement instructions?

Send disc 1 with name, address & phone for a replacement set.
Here is the address: PHE Marketing, C/O Deluxe Media Mgmt, PO Box 801464, Valencia, CA 91380-1464
Old 11-28-11, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

I'd try contacting them first to make verify the replacement instructions:

888-889-9456
[email protected]
Old 11-30-11, 04:50 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Todd B.
I'd try contacting them first to make verify the replacement instructions:

888-889-9456
[email protected]
Thanks, I did call the number, and they gave me the same mailing instructions that I posted above.
Old 06-15-12, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Are we going to see something new from this series? Feels like its been forever since they released a new film.
Old 06-15-12, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They may have bailed on it.

Titanic and Chinatown were obvious choices. Unless something like Terms of Endearment gets that banner, I don't know if they'll keep the series alive.
Old 06-15-12, 09:50 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

The line is dead.
Old 06-15-12, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, it's done. Titanic would have been an obvious title to release under that banner if it was still going...
Old 06-15-12, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

God Paramount sucks ass
Old 06-15-12, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It doesn't really matter anyway. It was pretty much just a label for special editions. The Titanic release won't be any less special without the Sapphire banner.
Old 06-15-12, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I was just referring to in general though I think they are one of the worst studios overall. This is their 100th Anniversary and it hardly seems like they're doing anything special for it or rolling out some catalog titles. All they've done so far is taken some of their pre-existing releases and slapped a 100th Anniversary slipcover on them.
Old 06-15-12, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I was just referring to in general though I think they are one of the worst studios overall. This is their 100th Anniversary and it hardly seems like they're doing anything special for it or rolling out some catalog titles. All they've done so far is taken some of their pre-existing releases and slapped a 100th Anniversary slipcover on them.
But, they did a big group photo, including such luminaries as Jack Nicholson, Dustin Hoffman, and... Rosie Huntington-Whiteley. It has the likes of Robert De Niro, Martin Scorsese, Kirk Douglas, and... Justin Bieber.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/...o?mbid=twitter

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.