Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Paramount Announces Sapphire Series (BD) -- Braveheart, Gladiator, Forrest Gump

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Paramount Announces Sapphire Series (BD) -- Braveheart, Gladiator, Forrest Gump

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-10, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Paramount Announces Sapphire Series (BD) -- Braveheart, Gladiator, Forrest Gump

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Sorry, not with an increased MSRP over other Paramount catalog releases.
fyi the SRP is $29.99 which is the same as many other recent Paramount catalog titles, e.g. Stardust, Road to Perdition, Escape from LA, and Minority Report.

It may be part of their "premium" line, but they're not charging a premium for it.

Originally Posted by Drexl
I would say they're 3 for 5 (are there just 5?) so far, with Braveheart, Forrest Gump, and Saving Private Ryan (fixed) being good. And, they released an improved Gladiator later.
Godfather I and II were re-released under the Sapphire brand so technically there are 7.
Old 09-13-10, 07:40 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Paramount Announces Sapphire Series (BD) -- Braveheart, Gladiator, Forrest Gump

Originally Posted by doctorthodt
fyi the SRP is $29.99 which is the same as many other recent Paramount catalog titles, e.g. Stardust, Road to Perdition, Escape from LA, and Minority Report.

It may be part of their "premium" line, but they're not charging a premium for it.

Godfather I and II were re-released under the Sapphire brand so technically there are 7.
They must have lowered the price of the line then (it was $34.99 or $39.99 when it launched, an increase over other Paramount catalog). But since Paramount release so few titles anymore it's hard to judge if that price is higher then other 'new' catalog releases.
Old 09-13-10, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thankfully they're running out of best picture winners to screw up under this label. Titanic will undoubtedly be a Sapphire release, but JC wouldn't allow it to be anything short of flawless. And yes I'm aware that SPR didn't win best pic. But what else would they conceivably release as a Sapphire title?
Old 09-13-10, 08:04 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Thankfully they're running out of best picture winners to screw up under this label. Titanic will undoubtedly be a Sapphire release, but JC wouldn't allow it to be anything short of flawless. And yes I'm aware that SPR didn't win best pic. But what else would they conceivably release as a Sapphire title?
Titanic will be a 3D release.
Old 09-13-10, 08:24 PM

Im guessing Terms Of Endearment will be next? I'm sure they will asspull other movies for various reasons, like Best Director or Best Actor wins.

Titanic won't be out until 2012 at the earliest. There might not even be a Sapphire Series by then...
Old 09-13-10, 08:48 PM

But what else would they conceivably release as a Sapphire title?
Chinatown.

Good Burger.
Old 09-13-10, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Titanic will be a 3D release.
3D only? No 2D included for those who have NO interest in 3D and never will?

Since I wasn't a fan of Avatar (never saw it), how does that even work? Did that film get released in 3D and just come with some cheap glasses? Does it still look good for those who watch it without the desire of the "3D experience"?
Old 09-13-10, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All 3D Blu-Ray releases are also viewable in 2D. But I'm betting Titanic will get a separate 2D release before the 3D one hits Blu-Ray.
Old 09-14-10, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone think I can still mail in my old Gladiator disc? Think the exchange program ended?
Old 09-14-10, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MrStayPuft
Anyone think I can still mail in my old Gladiator disc? Think the exchange program ended?
I'm sure it's still going on. It has only been a few weeks.
Old 09-19-10, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A glowing review from The Beav:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-r...ty_blu-ray.htm
Old 09-19-10, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by biglou114
Good Burger.
Oh...how I've missed this joke. Well done...

I've been waiting to re-buy Gladiator, but since I sold the first Blu release a month or so back, the damn thing hasn't been on sale. It HAS to hit $15 again soon, right?
Old 09-20-10, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
Oh...how I've missed this joke. Well done...

I've been waiting to re-buy Gladiator, but since I sold the first Blu release a month or so back, the damn thing hasn't been on sale. It HAS to hit $15 again soon, right?
I'm hoping for another Amazon $10 Black Friday deal, probably in vain.

Given the exchange program, I regret selling my old version of Gladiator, although I made a nice profit on it. Never, never believed that Paramount would fess up and do a remaster and an exchange. Oh well, the new release will be cheap someday...
Old 09-20-10, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by lizard
I'm hoping for another Amazon $10 Black Friday deal, probably in vain.
Should be a $10 BF deal like last year....why wouldn't there be?
Old 09-20-10, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Should be a $10 BF deal like last year....why wouldn't there be?
Because they did it last year so Amazon will choose other titles for Black Friday loss leaders this year?
Old 09-24-10, 05:57 PM
Cool New Member

Sent mine in for replacement 08SEP received 21SEP
Old 10-03-10, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by smokinscurvy
Sent mine in for replacement 08SEP received 21SEP
Do I need to call, then mail the disc or just mail it to them directly?
Old 10-04-10, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

just mail
Old 11-09-10, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hi folks, I picked up a copy of Gladiator today but I am still a bit confused if I bought the corrected version. My copy has a yellow UPC code, and the words 2-Disc Set is missing on the back side of the slipcover. However, the words 2-Disc Set is present on the backside of the actual case. Did I buy the correct one? I popped in the disc and I have no idea if the "banding" or "blocking" is present or not. I don't know how it looks like.

Anyone's input would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-09-10, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you can't even tell the difference then why does it matter?
Old 11-09-10, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by QuikSilver
Hi folks, I picked up a copy of Gladiator today but I am still a bit confused if I bought the corrected version. My copy has a yellow UPC code, and the words 2-Disc Set is missing on the back side of the slipcover. However, the words 2-Disc Set is present on the backside of the actual case. Did I buy the correct one? I popped in the disc and I have no idea if the "banding" or "blocking" is present or not. I don't know how it looks like.

Anyone's input would be much appreciated. Thanks!
I'm pretty darn sure that a yellow UPC means you got the new one, regardless of whether "2-Disc Set" is present.
Old 11-10-10, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for your input.
Old 11-13-11, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazon has the Braveheart/Gladiator 2-pack for only $13.99 for those who haven't bought these yet.
Old 11-19-11, 06:24 AM

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

^Just got mine and Gladiator has a white UPC. That is the old version, correct?
Old 11-19-11, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If spears randomly disappear in the sky in the opening battle scene, you have the old version.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.