Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Paramount Announces Sapphire Series (BD) -- Braveheart, Gladiator, Forrest Gump

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Paramount Announces Sapphire Series (BD) -- Braveheart, Gladiator, Forrest Gump

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-10, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Paramount Announces Sapphire Series (BD) -- Braveheart, Gladiator, Forrest Gump

Just send it in
Old 09-03-10, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Paramount Announces Sapphire Series (BD) -- Braveheart, Gladiator, Forrest Gump

Sent mine on August 23rd and got it September 1st via FedEx.
Old 09-03-10, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally showed up, a little over a month.
Old 09-03-10, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Just send it in
Same here, sent in yesterday.
Old 09-08-10, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

American Beauty reviewed:

http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/?p=51491
Old 09-08-10, 09:15 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Just the short review - Paramount continues making the Sapphire wave a fucking joke.

But...with this release, they just upped their catalog releases about 14% for the year 2010.
Old 09-08-10, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Just the short review - Paramount continues making the Sapphire wave a fucking joke.

But...with this release, they just upped their catalog releases about 14% for the year 2010.
I had such high hopes for the line when it was announced. Maybe they'll re-release American Beauty when the realize they left off the newly created 2-hour documentary with PIP.
Old 09-08-10, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Am I the only one that thought the Sapphire line was only going to be an excuse to raise the MSRP on major catalog titles, and that the quality of the transfers and extras would be hit or miss like always?
Old 09-08-10, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^I confess that I was naïve enough to believe that the Sapphire Series was an excuse to raise prices on catalog titles AND provide top notch high def releases on BD.

It sure didn't take long for the second part of that couplet to be disproved.
Old 09-08-10, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They gave the BD 4s for audio and video, and all the DVD extras are included. Is something missing?
Old 09-08-10, 11:39 AM
Suspended

That site is a joke among reviewers. Oops, now he might sue me!
Old 09-10-10, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gladiator exchange was pretty painless. Mailed 8/30, arrived 9/10.

American Beauty is rental for me anyway. When you're middle aged and stuck in a crappy job, the last thing you want from your entertainment are movies about middle aged guys in crappy jobs
Old 09-10-10, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
They gave the BD 4s for audio and video, and all the DVD extras are included. Is something missing?
It looks "pretty good" as opposed to "excellent", and no new extras for a prestige film that was put on disc 10 years ago. Pretty disappointing. A new audio commentary with the cast, a new documentary, and truly eye-popping visuals. That's what I think everyone would have appreciated.
Old 09-10-10, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lizard
^I confess that I was naïve enough to believe that the Sapphire Series was an excuse to raise prices on catalog titles AND provide top notch high def releases on BD.

It sure didn't take long for the second part of that couplet to be disproved.
I was dumb enough to think that anything with the Sapphire name would get special treatment and be some of the best, if not the best, in BD releases.

I'm not horribly pissed with how the film looks and it has a lot of replay value in my home, so it's been missed since I sold mine the moment this release got mentioned, but it shouldn't be a Sapphire release and they should have done better with a film that I also believe to be a classic even if it hadn't been a Sapphire release.
Old 09-10-10, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brent L
I shipped mine out yesterday from here in SC so I'll keep you all updated on mine as well.
I got mine today!
Old 09-10-10, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

The B&M retailers seem to be getting the remastered Gladiator discs with yellow UPCs on the back - not on a sticker over the case like SPR, but inked directly onto the insert....no more searching for cases sans "2 Disc Set".
Old 09-11-10, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, I picked up a yellow UPC copy today at Best Buy.

It's funny that the yellow copies have the '2 Disc set' text added back on them. Also, my disc has ' BVDL-103860A1' marked on it, no mention of R1 or R2...
Old 09-11-10, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

In my worst nightmare I imagine there's some kind of difference between the non-2-disc set version and the yellow UPC version.
Old 09-13-10, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Blu-ray.com's review of American Beauty gives the transfer negative marks. Seems like the Sapphire Series is to be avoided - luckily they haven't released anything I'm interested in yet.
Old 09-13-10, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm doubly disappointed in no new extras for AB, especially the infamous deleted scenes. I don't care what Ball thinks about them, I think they should at least be seen for posterity, if nothing else.
Old 09-13-10, 05:07 PM
Suspended

The film was supposed to released lady year too

Sapphire line = big fucking joke
Old 09-13-10, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
The film was supposed to released lady year too
Every year is lady year!
Old 09-13-10, 06:10 PM
Suspended

Damn iPhone.
Old 09-13-10, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Blu-ray.com's review of American Beauty gives the transfer negative marks. Seems like the Sapphire Series is to be avoided - luckily they haven't released anything I'm interested in yet.
A Sapphire release is just like any other catalog title - it may be good, or it may not, depending on when the transfer was done and what decisions were made. As always, it pays to check out what it looks like before buying.

I would say they're 3 for 5 (are there just 5?) so far, with Braveheart, Forrest Gump, and Saving Private Ryan (fixed) being good. And, they released an improved Gladiator later.
Old 09-13-10, 07:28 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Drexl
A Sapphire release is just like any other catalog title - it may be good, or it may not, depending on when the transfer was done and what decisions were made. As always, it pays to check out what it looks like before buying.

I would say they're 3 for 5 (are there just 5?) so far, with Braveheart, Forrest Gump, and Saving Private Ryan (fixed) being good. And, they released an improved Gladiator later.
Sorry, not with an increased MSRP over other Paramount catalog releases. It's a special release given a special title given a special slip cover.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.