Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Lost: The Complete Fifth Season: December 8th

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 04-06-09, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

According to TVShowsOnDVD the release date is now set for December 8th for "Lost: The Complete Fifth Season". This is very similar to the release plan for the last seasons DVD/Blu release. The list price is $96.99.

Personally, I feel that list price is way too high for most casual viewers and the wait sounds like no fun at all to me. I wanted to re-watch all five seasons over this summer in preparation for it's final year. I guess I'll just watch all the BD sets up until it's premiere date next year.

In any case... this WILL be mine on December 8th.
Old 04-06-09, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Lost: The Complete Fifth Season: December 8th

Excellent news. Day 1 purchase for me. This season has been fantastic and the last 2 episodes have been terrific.
Old 04-06-09, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GenPion View Post
Personally, I feel that list price is way too high for most casual viewers and the wait sounds like no fun at all to me.
A) No one pays list.

B) Season 4 was released the same time last year.
Old 04-06-09, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post
Excellent news. Day 1 purchase for me. This season has been fantastic and the last 2 episodes have been terrific.
Good to hear. I've largely stayed away waiting for the eventual Blu-ray release. Sucks to wait so long, but it sounds like it'll be worth it.
Old 04-06-09, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by aintnosin View Post
A) No one pays list.

So if the list price was $199, you wouldn't have a problem with it since no one pays list, right?
Old 04-06-09, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jiggawhat View Post
Good to hear. I've largely stayed away waiting for the eventual Blu-ray release. Sucks to wait so long, but it sounds like it'll be worth it.
This season can be confusing, but each episode gets better and better. I think it's definitely the 2nd strongest season, behind the first.
Old 04-06-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So if the list price was $199, you wouldn't have a problem with it since no one pays list, right?
That's not the point. $96 is not out of line for the MSRP on season sets on BD.

I just get tired of people complaining about the MSRP as if that's the price they're going to pay.
Old 04-06-09, 02:12 PM

for a serie final season I don't really see the point of releasing it in december, for the previous years it was fine, there was christmas and also you could watch it before the new season started in January but now there's nothing to look forward to. I hoped they would have done like 24 and release it in may-june, but december?? pointless
Old 04-06-09, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Tom Army View Post
for a serie final season I don't really see the point of releasing it in december, for the previous years it was fine, there was christmas and also you could watch it before the new season started in January but now there's nothing to look forward to. I hoped they would have done like 24 and release it in may-june, but december?? pointless
Punctuate much?

This is not the final season. The final season starts in January 2010.
Old 04-06-09, 02:22 PM

obviously it is news to me. I thought there was only supposed to be 5 seasons?
Old 04-06-09, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just get tired of people complaining about the MSRP as if that's the price they're going to pay.
The list price directly relates to the actual selling price, hence the reason why people pay attention to the list. What you should do is just worry about what price you'll pay and not everyone else.

The Bourne set is only 3 movies, 3 discs, yet the LIST price is over $100, which means it's consistently a ridiculous $74.99 on Amazon, and higher at B&Ms. IF the LIST price was lower, the consistent selling price would be....you guessed it...LOWER. See how that works?

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 04-06-09 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-06-09, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The MSRP is way too high on this. Seasons 1 & 2 are coming out this summer with an MSRP of $69.99, which is also the MSRP for season 4. There's no reason for seasons 3 & 5 to be 40% more expensive, especially when there are only 16 episodes in season 5. I'm guessing we'll see this revised between now and December.
Old 04-06-09, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The list price directly relates to the actual selling price, hence the reason why people pay attention to the list. What you should do is just worry about what price you'll pay and not everyone else.

The Bourne set is only 3 movies, 3 discs, yet the LIST price is over $100, which means it's consistently a ridiculous $74.99 on Amazon, and higher at B&Ms. IF the LIST price was lower, the consistent selling price would be....you guessed it...LOWER. See how that works?
Agreed. The lower the list price the lower the actual cost. Since this has almost a $100 list price we can expect to see it on sale for $50 on Amazon if they follow the same pricing they did with Season 4 on BD. If not, it will likely sell at most online stores for a $60-$70 price. It will certainly be priced much higher in all B&M stores. If this list price had been lower then we would be seeing better deals all around. While this season is as good as Lost has always been, I was just sharing my opinion that I feel like $50-$60 for a shorter single season of a show On Blu-ray seems a bit high (especially for less devoted fans). I myself know people who don't even have it on DVD because it never goes on sale for around $20 a season. If it did, I would know some more people who own this show. I will be getting this day one irregardless but then Lost is my favorite show/movie/whatever so it's understandable. I'll start watching it on December 8th. For most people though, I think we can agree that the pricing is high. And we do have our right to voice this opinion. The Bourne set is a great example BTW. I own the first on HD-DVD (got it for $3). I didn't even enjoy the sequels as much, at least not to own, but most people wouldn't want to invest in Blu-ray at all with such a huge price gap between the DVD and Blu-ray set. You can easily get a brand new trilogy set for Bourne for $20. The Blu-ray set is basically three times that at least.

And aintnosin, pointing out the wait being no different than the wait for Season 4 on Blu-ray was unnecessary. I stated in my first post that "This is very similar to the release plan for the last seasons DVD/Blu release" implying the date/pricing model was the same.
Old 04-06-09, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I decided to wait for the complete series.
Old 04-06-09, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

6 seasons, not 5.
Old 04-06-09, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
I decided to wait for the complete series.
Same here. Sold my S1 AND S2 DVDs, and my S3 BD.
Old 04-06-09, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can't wait. Season 5 has been good so far. I'll be unloading my S1 and S2 pretty soon as well in anticipation of those early summer.
Old 04-06-09, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe you're confused because they decided to divide 48 episodes into 3 seasons instead of 2.

In any case, it does take time to put these together. It might be difficult to wrap up in May and have the set (with extras) out in 2 months.
Old 04-07-09, 09:22 AM

ah well, keep my comment on ice for the release of season 6 then
Old 04-07-09, 10:53 AM
Banned

A) No one pays list.

Yet, the sale price is based on the retail price. Season 4 list price was adjusted to $65 last year by the time of the release date.

Just because it was release in December last year doesn't mean that Disney has to make it a tradition. Believe it or not, fans of the show would like to revisit the 5th season before December. The summer is a perfect time for that, since most people have more spare time.

$96 dollars is out of line in 2009. Almost all studios have lowered their pricing structure regarding Blu-rays. They understand that in the economy we are in right now, they need to make adjustments so people adapt this new format.

As I said before, people may not be paying the list price, but store will be pricing this set 30% - 40% off the retail price. So if the price is $96, Amazon will be pricing it at $67. If the list price is $65 people will be paying $45.50, over a $20 dollar difference.
Old 04-08-09, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

They have lowered the Blu-ray list price to $69.99. That's good of them to have done that! It will get them more sales too. I hope this is no more than $50 on Amazon once it's formally announced and available for pre-order.
Old 04-08-09, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Just to clarify once and for all, there was supposed to be 5 seasons of LOST originally, but with the combination of the writers strike, and a golden opportunity for the network to weasel another year out of LOST by making shorter seasons and making up for it by having a sixth season, we're now having six. In just over a year, it will be all over. Man. What a ride.
Old 04-08-09, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But 6 seasons was decided prior to the writer's strike.

Basically after season 3, they want to settle on the end point for the series. They decided they needed 48 episodes to do that and they were thinking 2 seasons at 24 each, but this was never announced before they and ABC decided to do 3 more seasons at 16 episodes each. So it was never officially limited to 5 seasons. It was either unknown or 6 like it is now.
Old 04-08-09, 05:28 PM

I'm waiting for the complete series to hit blu-ray, I guess 12/2010.
Old 04-08-09, 08:42 PM
Suspended

I would like to wait for all 6, but there is no way I could do it. I just finished S4 and December seems like forever. Let alone waiting another year. Unless they include something that will want me to upgrade, I'll keep the individual BD sets.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.