Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Jaws - 8/14/12

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Jaws - 8/14/12

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-11, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Jaws - 8/14/12

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
This better be a fucking KILLER set. I don't want Jaws in some puny blue case.
I don't normally care about packaging, but I would love for Jaws to be in a nice steelbook. 2 disc set, original mono mix, every extra ever created for the film, and a solid transfer.

It sounds like that preliminary Universal list posted on the Criterion forums is starting to look accurate. I believe the poster had 8/14 for Jaws.
Old 12-22-11, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Jaws - 8/14/12

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
It sounds like that preliminary Universal list posted on the Criterion forums is starting to look accurate. I believe the poster had 8/14 for Jaws.
They did, as I noted in the Universal catalog thread.
Old 12-22-11, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know why people doubted that list so much to begin with since none of it looked outside the realm of possibility.
Old 12-22-11, 11:56 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I don't know why people doubted that list so much to begin with since none of it looked outside the realm of possibility.
A brand new poster who just registered on that site that same day just randomly decides to post a list of Universal titles - many of which are completely random picks from a hat. How anyone could actually believe that - once again, brand new member - is beyond belief.

We still don't have an official presser from Universal, but it's not like sites have not ran with rumors (or flat out jokes - BTTF) before. So far all the sites are linking to TDB as the source.

Hell, I hope that list is true since I only really want ET and the Pie movies.
Old 12-23-11, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

The list looked extremely legit to me. Any differences between the list and the actual dates I would chalk up more to the kind of last minute shuffling that goes on and not to the invalidity of the list/source.

Too many of the titles fell into exactly the kind of categories I would expect them to kick out in an anniversary promotion, from stuff like Airport and Pillow Talk, to the final spate of HD DVD re-issues. But what was most telling was all the re-packagings and re-issues. That is SO like something a big dumb corporation would trumpet during an anniversary celebration. If the list were some fans fake wet dream wish-list, you wouldn't see that kind of stuff in that kind of quantity.

On the whole I found it a very disappointing list with very little to get enthused about- another reason I suspected it had to be legit. Besides Jaws and a couple other titles, the things that most pique my interest are, sadly, the MOD releases. Even Billy Wilder can't get a good pressed DVD box set release anymore, let alone a set on BD.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 12-23-11 at 04:06 AM.
Old 12-23-11, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if that list turns out to be true (i personally think it's legit) then honestly no other studio could release catalog titles in 2012 and i'd still be very happy.
Old 12-23-11, 09:46 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
The list looked extremely legit to me. Any differences between the list and the actual dates I would chalk up more to the kind of last minute shuffling that goes on and not to the invalidity of the list/source.

Too many of the titles fell into exactly the kind of categories I would expect them to kick out in an anniversary promotion, from stuff like Airport and Pillow Talk, to the final spate of HD DVD re-issues. But what was most telling was all the re-packagings and re-issues. That is SO like something a big dumb corporation would trumpet during an anniversary celebration. If the list were some fans fake wet dream wish-list, you wouldn't see that kind of stuff in that kind of quantity.

On the whole I found it a very disappointing list with very little to get enthused about- another reason I suspected it had to be legit. Besides Jaws and a couple other titles, the things that most pique my interest are, sadly, the MOD releases. Even Billy Wilder can't get a good pressed DVD box set release anymore, let alone a set on BD.
It's exactly why it's pretty easy to fake one of these lists. Just simply look at films that are having their 5/10/15 etc. anniversary, and you could easily come up with something similar. Of course, there are lots of wildcards in that list, and still many HD DVD exclusives left off (not sure why you said final, there are plenty unannounced from the mentioned list(.
Old 12-23-11, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
It's exactly why it's pretty easy to fake one of these lists. Just simply look at films that are having their 5/10/15 etc. anniversary, and you could easily come up with something similar.
That's not the kind of thing posters on the Criterion Forum do, even new ones.
Old 12-23-11, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

What are the odds that THE SHARK IS STILL WORKING might be part of this set or (at the very least) released on home video at the same time? I don't know about you, but I've been waiting FOREVER to see it...I can't believe Universal hasn't made a deal with the filmmakers to release it.
Old 12-23-11, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Seeing as how they used parts of it to make that recent AMC doc, which has a better chance of popping up here, I'd say slim.

Luckily, I do have a friend with the full uncut version of TSISW. I need to remind him to make me a copy.
Old 12-23-11, 04:05 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

8 months to pull together something awesome - I'm optimistic
Old 12-23-11, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jaws has to be my all time favorite movie. I have collected VHS, DVD and now BD. I never really care or seek out any extras or cool features or packaging.

But for Jaws I am buying the biggest baddest special limited edition they come out with. I don't care if its $500 its mine.
Old 12-23-11, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Larry C.
Jaws has to be my all time favorite movie. I have collected VHS, DVD and now BD. I never really care or seek out any extras or cool features or packaging.

But for Jaws I am buying the biggest baddest special limited edition they come out with. I don't care if its $500 its mine.
Why would you pay $500 for a limited edition if you only care about the movie and not the features?
Old 12-24-11, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Why would you pay $500 for a limited edition if you only care about the movie and not the features?
He said for Jaws, he'd make an exception, hence the use of "But..."
Old 12-24-11, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
He said for Jaws, he'd make an exception, hence the use of "But..."
Mhmmm. For some reason I was reading it as him buying all editions of Jaws but not caring about the bonus features. My comprehension was clearly lacking yesterday.
Old 12-24-11, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah what I thought I said was that for Jaws I would watch EVERY extra because I love the movie so much. I literally can't get enough Jaws news, specials or info. If it had 1000 hours of bonus features I would watch it all.

I think it has to do because I grew up in Miami always on boats and in the ocean. I'm a Scuba diver and I love the ocean.

So I tend to like or at least be more forgiving for movies that have or is focused around the Sea.
Old 12-24-11, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know the sequels don't get much love (mostly deservedly) but something like the Jurassic Park set would be cool. All the movies and a Bruce model? heck yea
Old 12-24-11, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry C.
Yeah what I thought I said was that for Jaws I would watch EVERY extra because I love the movie so much. I literally can't get enough Jaws news, specials or info. If it had 1000 hours of bonus features I would watch it all.

I think it has to do because I grew up in Miami always on boats and in the ocean. I'm a Scuba diver and I love the ocean.

So I tend to like or at least be more forgiving for movies that have or is focused around the Sea.
When this came out it was more than a movie, it was an event. I remember stories about sharks in the papers and other media the whole summer.
Old 12-25-11, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I'm with Larry C...I just paid $250 this year for a limited edition BOOK (Memories from Martha's Vineyard - with a DVD of home movies and a piece of one of the original ORCA IIs included)...it's one of my all-time favorite movies, as well.
Old 12-25-11, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

That book is GREAT! One of the best movie-centric tomes I've ever seen. Would love to have it in a permanent HC, but $250 is far too rich for my blood. I ended up getting it from B&N.com. With a 25% off coupon it came to under $30.

As much as I love the original, I'm really hoping Jaws 2 gets released as well. I have no use for J3D, but still have a lot of affection for the first sequel.
Old 01-02-12, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Amity Six to base, call of the Marines.... We're comming HOME!!!!"
take a moment to mark the closing later tonight of Captain Jakes Amity Boat Tours, (JAWS:The Ride)
at my second home Universal Studios Orlando
Some of the best years of my life were as a skipper saving tourists from that bad ol shark JAWS.

heres hoping though probably unlikely there is something, be it the queue line videos or footage of the ride enviorment as a special feature on the upcomming bluray.

Still cant believe that JAWS is being replaced by an expansion of themed area based on a movie that isnt even a universal studios release.
Old 01-02-12, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whats replacing the ride?
Old 01-02-12, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ I was one of those tourists several times. That was always a cool ride. I felt sorry for the guys who ran that ride. Trying to keep up that kind of excitement and energy must have been tough. Within 10 minutes I would have been saying; Oh look a rubber shark, bang bang. Have nice day, can you give your little monster a fucking nap once in a while. The goddamn kid is 3 and you're taking him on a 15 hour day.
Old 01-02-12, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by xfilekr
Whats replacing the ride?
Harry "Freaking" Potter expansion, not even a attraction based on a universal studios movie
Old 01-02-12, 03:21 PM

I'm reading the book for the first time at the moment and enjoying it.

Can't wait for the blu ray, easily a top 10 movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.