Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Canadian Blu-ray Releases - Complete List and Discussion

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Canadian Blu-ray Releases - Complete List and Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-09, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Re: Canadian Blu-ray Releases - Complete List and Discussion

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
* Outlander (1080p, DTS MA, Cropped) BD is 1.78:1, OAR is 2.35:1 - Special Features: YES
What I'm hearing is that it's not cropped, although the image has been opened up to 1.78:1. Fiddling with the aspect ratio is obviously never ideal, but for what it's worth, it's (reportedly) not cropped.

I don't have my copy in hand to be able to say for sure, and I'm wondering if I should cancel that part of my order from amazon.ca.
Old 05-27-09, 02:43 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
What I'm hearing is that it's not cropped, although the image has been opened up to 1.78:1. Fiddling with the aspect ratio is obviously never ideal, but for what it's worth, it's (reportedly) not cropped.

I don't have my copy in hand to be able to say for sure, and I'm wondering if I should cancel that part of my order from amazon.ca.
From HDD:
Unfortunately, the movie is NOT in the original theatrical aspect ratio. Alliance Films has made the terrible decision to put the movie on the disc at an aspect ratio of 1.78:1, not the film's original 2.35:1 aspect ratio. I suspected that it might be a case of them putting a full frame presentation on the disc, but after comparing the Blu-ray to the U.S. DVD release I have found this not to be the case. Alliance has cropped the film on each side to make the 2.35:1 film 1.78:1 on the disc. Quality wise the video is still a step up from the DVD, but then again the U.S. DVD is in the correct aspect ratio.

On the plus side--even though no mention is made on the packaging--all of the special features from the U.S. DVD release are present--including all of the deleted scenes (curiously presented in the correct aspect ratio), animatics, galleries, and the audio commentary--and the audio is available in English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and Dolby Digital 5.1 along with a French Dolby Digital 5.1 track.
I'm a bit stumped because I don't have either disc (nor ever will) and go by what others post when they get the disc. It's possible its been 'opened' up, but if they cropped the side...oy vey.
Old 05-27-09, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I went ahead and cancelled my order. Still have Fanboys on that docket, though...
Old 05-27-09, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went ahead and cancelled my order. Still have Fanboys on that docket, though...
Yup, bummed & just did the exact same think (kept my order for Fanboys also). I'm not going to support mucking with the OAR, plus I've read in several HD forums people stating that it has forced English subs.
Old 05-27-09, 04:12 PM
Suspended

Fanboys is 1.85:1...so even if they do crop it it won' be that bad. I canceled my pre-order anyway because the film was not funny enough to spend $25 on.
Old 05-27-09, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because it wasn't released here in Canada by Paramount, I hope to hell the Alliance release of CSI season 1 isn't screwed up, and at the same time doesn't have the reported defect mentioned in the review here.

It's supposed to be out June 9th.
Old 05-29-09, 03:47 AM

Argh, what a conundrum, I would have ordered the Outlander BD, but it sounds like half a screw up now...sigh. Guess I'll stick with DVD.
Old 05-29-09, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Alliance apparently hates pleasing consumers in general by their lack of genuine Blu-ray releases worth the support. In other words, they appear to be working hard to not get our money.
Old 05-29-09, 10:03 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by GenPion
Alliance apparently hates pleasing consumers in general by their lack of genuine Blu-ray releases worth the support. In other words, they appear to be working hard to not get our money.
Alliance wants to please the new Blu owners who want to "fill their screen". These cropping/unmatted presentations are the new full screen.
Old 05-29-09, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's disappointing about Outlander, especially since it actually had all the bonus features. I'll likely pass on buying this at all, since I'd rather wait for a possible BD than buy it on SD.
Old 05-29-09, 10:58 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
That's disappointing about Outlander, especially since it actually had all the bonus features. I'll likely pass on buying this at all, since I'd rather wait for a possible BD than buy it on SD.
At this point a domestic Blu-ray release is unlikely from Weinstein unless another studio scoops them up and puts out their catalog. I can't see them going back and releasing this in Blu (even if they start to release Blu-ray movies again -which looks like a 50/50). So far they have 2 out of 12 HD DVD titles released and the other 10 were not even planned. I really hope we get Halloween 2 on Blu-ray
Old 05-29-09, 11:56 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Copper Blue
INETVIDEO has Cop Land for $15.99 and they list it as the 116 min extended cut (Woohoo!). Also a free shipping deal right now. I just hope the picture quality is up to par. The UK release got brutal reviews.
Don't trust anything on the cover art for Canadian releases. Its been proven wrong many times (1080p, Special Features etc). I always wait until someone has a copy and can confirm.
I grabbed a couple of copies from inetvideo.. I'll confirm when I get it. Its the cheapest so far.
Old 05-29-09, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I broke down and bought the Outlander DVD so I could see the film. $15 isn't too bad. Felt weird though - this is the first movie I've bought on DVD since Charlie Wilson's War and In Bruges last year.

If I like it I'll wait for the UK BD which will hopefully be region free and OAR. The current French BD apparently has forced French subs.
Old 05-29-09, 04:23 PM
Suspended

Fanboys: No extra's and the back of the box states 1.78:1 as the aspect ratio. Fanboys is a BD25 disk. AVC encoded (1080p24) with a 24 bit DTS HD MA soundtrack. Film section is 17.5GB in size.
Chocolate: 1080i
Cop Land: Has a runtime of 1:44:50 according to BDInfo, so that makes it the theatrical cut I believe.
Old 05-29-09, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
Because it wasn't released here in Canada by Paramount, I hope to hell the Alliance release of CSI season 1 isn't screwed up, and at the same time doesn't have the reported defect mentioned in the review here.

It's supposed to be out June 9th.
A little OT, but FWIW, I rented CSI Season 1 from Netflix and had no problems at all with that 1st disc on a Panny BD30, FW 2.8.
Old 05-29-09, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

At this point a domestic Blu-ray release is unlikely from Weinstein unless another studio scoops them up and puts out their catalog. I can't see them going back and releasing this in Blu (even if they start to release Blu-ray movies again -which looks like a 50/50). So far they have 2 out of 12 HD DVD titles released and the other 10 were not even planned. I really hope we get Halloween 2 on Blu-ray
I know what you're saying. I'll just wait it out until a few more options appear.

As for H2, let's wait and see how much it sucks before we clamor for a BD. Although, I'd find it very odd if this didn't somehow get a Blu release.
Old 05-29-09, 05:49 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I know what you're saying. I'll just wait it out until a few more options appear.

As for H2, let's wait and see how much it sucks before we clamor for a BD. Although, I'd find it very odd if this didn't somehow get a Blu release.
I liked Zombies Halloween so unless Halloween 2 is really, really bad, I will get it. So I hope it comes in a Blue case.
Old 05-30-09, 07:23 AM

Fanboys: No extra's and the back of the box states 1.78:1 as the aspect ratio. Fanboys is a BD25 disk. AVC encoded (1080p24) with a 24 bit DTS HD MA soundtrack. Film section is 17.5GB in size.
Chocolate: 1080i
Cop Land: Has a runtime of 1:44:50 according to BDInfo, so that makes it the theatrical cut I believe.
The scan of the back of Cop Land says that it will include the directors cut. I know that Alliance cases frequently have wrong info so I'm very anxious to get the real facts once someone gets it. I'm also curious how the reported aspect ration change looks.
Old 06-03-09, 07:28 AM

^ Well Cop Land is out, has anyone received it or found any reviews?
Old 06-03-09, 08:11 PM

Can anyone comment on the quality of the Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind Blu Ray that Amazon.ca has listed as released this Tuesday? Has a US date been set?
Old 06-03-09, 08:27 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by greekboy
Can anyone comment on the quality of the Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind Blu Ray that Amazon.ca has listed as released this Tuesday? Has a US date been set?
Universal delayed the release of Eternal here in the US (notice how Bruce Almighty, another Carey flick, came out yesterday?)
Old 06-04-09, 02:10 PM
Suspended

Updated OP!

Added two new titles (Final Destination 2 and 3)
Old 06-04-09, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Awesome! I'm an enormous fan of Final Destination 2, and even though 3 doesn't exactly rank up there, I'll pick it up just for Mary Elizabeth Winstead.
Old 06-04-09, 02:16 PM
Suspended

Awesome! I'm an enormous fan of Final Destination 2, and even though 3 doesn't exactly rank up there, I'll pick it up just for Mary Elizabeth Winstead.
Id wait...with #4 coming out I bet Warner will release the first 3 in a boxset.
Old 06-05-09, 10:21 AM

One Week comes-out on Blu-Ray June 16th. Best Canadian-made movie I've seen in years. Easy buy at C$27.95 for me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.