Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Iron Man BLU-RAY 9/30/08

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Iron Man BLU-RAY 9/30/08

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-08, 05:18 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Aren't those features mentioned exactly what's on the BD? I don't see BD50 mentioned either.
No. See my post above. EVERYTHING was removed except the Commentary tracks. Some was re-purposed in the U-Control, but not all. I had both titles.
Old 09-23-08, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is that dual layers reference for the dvd or the BD?

In Iron Man related news, I just received an email from Tower.com about the recall and they have issued me a refund. Looks like I'll just wait and get it on Tuesday.
Old 09-23-08, 05:26 PM
Suspended

In Iron Man related news, I just received an email from Tower.com about the recall and they have issued me a refund. Looks like I'll just wait and get it on Tuesday.
I'll dig up my press releases that came with my copies if you need to see them. I don't remember if they state BD50 either but the features were dropped because of space. They would not be able to fit on BD25 discs. Doomsday and Scorpion King 2 both said BD50 ...I think Universal is playing it safe and not announcing disc size anymore just in case they have to play a switch-a-roo.

As for Iron Man... (From HDD)

Here's the UPC's:
Defective: UPC: 097361385747
New "Fixed": UPC: 097361385709
Old 09-23-08, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Got the tower.com email as well. I'll probably just go and grab it in store on Tuesday from Target or something.

Dear Customer,

Please be advised that Iron Man (Blu-Ray) UPC/EAN: 097361385747 has been recalled by the manufacturer because it may not play on certain Blu-ray set top players due to differences in manufacturers' specs. We have issued a full refund for this item. The new release of the Iron Man (Blu-Ray) will be available on tower.com shortly.

Thank you for your understanding and we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Tower.com Customer Service

Have a question? Need to check the status of your order? Please visit our online customer service center at http://www.tower.com/help/help_home.cfm
Old 09-23-08, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahh, yes -- probably for the DVD, but it's rather unclear. Could be a reference to both, or it could be they're just a bunch of nose-pickin' slack-daddies who forgot to list separate layer specs for the BD!

With regard to the whole BD25/BD50 debate/debacle, how many replication plants are there which can currently do both? Could the manufacturers even handle cranking out every title on a BD50? So if there's any kind of waiting list to get BD50 titles made, I can see where a studio might want to fast-track some releases by pooping them out on BD25s. I certainly don't like it, but I can see how a bunch of immoral, greedy, scum-sucking, dirtbag studio types might choose to do that . . .
Old 09-23-08, 05:47 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by applesandrice
Ahh, yes -- probably for the DVD, but it's rather unclear. Could be a reference to both, or it could be they're just a bunch of nose-pickin' slack-daddies who forgot to list separate layer specs for the BD!

With regard to the whole BD25/BD50 debate/debacle, how many replication plants are there which can currently do both? Could the manufacturers even handle cranking out every title on a BD50? So if there's any kind of waiting list to get BD50 titles made, I can see where a studio might want to fast-track some releases by pooping them out on BD25s. I certainly don't like it, but I can see how a bunch of immoral, greedy, scum-sucking, dirtbag studio types might choose to do that . . .
Considering Paramount now has to scrap close to 100k BD50 discs..its gonna look a lot worse.

Mr. Cinema, can you update the OP with the UPC information? We're gonna get a ton of questions come Tuesday...or maybe someone should start a new thread warning about the possible delay?
Old 09-23-08, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

done
Old 09-23-08, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Considering Paramount now has to scrap close to 100k BD50 discs..its gonna look a lot worse.

Mr. Cinema, can you update the OP with the UPC information? We're gonna get a ton of questions come Tuesday...or maybe someone should start a new thread warning about the possible delay?

Whats the deal with the scrapped discs Gizmo? I havn't had much time to post or read the forum lately.

Off Topic: I got a job offer a few months ago to work at Cinram! I knew I should have taken it.
Old 09-23-08, 08:34 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Whats the deal with the scrapped discs Gizmo? I havn't had much time to post or read the forum lately.

Off Topic: I got a job offer a few months ago to work at Cinram! I knew I should have taken it.
Disc One is being recalled from all Iron Man BD sets. Why? Apparently issues loading on certain players (Sony and Samsung). Paramount has already sent some reviewers new discs, and all current ones (in retailers hands) are being shipped back to Paramount and being replaced. The Bad SKU and Good SKU are posted a few up as well as in the OP. As I said before, my copy worked just fine in my LG 200s and PS3...so it may just be a small sampling of people having the issue.

As for the bad discs..they will be destroyed. The Blu-ray hard coating does not allow them to be re-cycled in any way.
Old 09-23-08, 08:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Disc 1 worked fine on my PS3. I'm not going to bother with a replacement.
Old 09-23-08, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by Yavin
The DigitalBits is reporting that the discs available on release date next week will be the corrected ones.
Good for that. I'll have to jot those UPC's down to bring with me on the 30th.
Old 09-24-08, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Disc 1 worked fine on my PS3. I'm not going to bother with a replacement.
The PS3 was unaffected by this. Probably since everything gets tested at Sony on the PS3.

But what if in a couple of years you decide to buy a stand-alone?
Old 09-24-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
The PS3 was unaffected by this. Probably since everything gets tested at Sony on the PS3.

But what if in a couple of years you decide to buy a stand-alone?
In a couple of years, hopefully there'll be a higher level of consistency across the board in what the stand-alones can play.
Old 09-24-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I have the same concern. Since I'm theoretically getting the recalled disc from Tower that shipped, should I just keep it since I have a PS3? I may get a new player later, but was this something where older players had trouble and new players were fine or might it just not play in anything else?
Old 09-24-08, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Any idea if Columbia House will have the new discs ready for next week?
Old 09-24-08, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I got the same email from tower.com. If mine plays fine on my panny player (Im in Boston for 2 weeks so cant check), im gonna keep my free copy.
Old 09-24-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by RockStrongo
I got the same email from tower.com. If mine plays fine on my panny player (Im in Boston for 2 weeks so cant check), im gonna keep my free copy.
So you got the "full refund" e-mail, too...
Old 09-24-08, 12:18 PM
Suspended

I don't think Tower really "shipped" these though. Don't they typically give you tracking information days before they mail things out? (i.e. prep the item)
Old 09-24-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I don't think Tower really "shipped" these though. Don't they typically give you tracking information days before they mail things out? (i.e. prep the item)
I'm not sure, I've never ordered from them before...but we ordered Sarah Marshall on the same day (I think) and I still don't have it. If I just get that then I'll definitely know for sure. I am supposed to have four "shipped" things and none have tracking numbers, though.
Old 09-24-08, 12:25 PM

Does anyone know if the Target BD exclusive will suffer from this recall?
Old 09-24-08, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think what happened is the system issued the standard "shipped" email before they got their recall notice. Tower only gives tracking info if you pay for 2-day or next day service. I, like many on blu-ray.com, paid for 2-day service and not a single person received a tracking number. I'm 99.9% sure no one is going to receive the bad disc from them.

My Iron Man order was supposed to have been shipped on the 18th, same day as Forgetting Sarah Marshall. For FSM, I only paid for priority shipping and it arrived yesterday. They pulled the Iron Man orders in time.
Old 09-24-08, 01:38 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by ozzfan84
Does anyone know if the Target BD exclusive will suffer from this recall?
Probably even worse since those are in exclusive cases.
Old 09-24-08, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Probably even worse since those are in exclusive cases.
Hmm, that's the same thing I'm afraid of for the Future Shop and Best Buy exclusives in Canada
Old 09-24-08, 02:06 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Yavin
Hmm, that's the same thing I'm afraid of for the Future Shop and Best Buy exclusives in Canada
The only thing I can think of is Paramount sending each store just the discs and the clerks themselves open up each "exclusive" case and replace the disc, then re-shrinkwrap it back up. Ive done it before in the video game business...so it is possible.
Old 09-24-08, 02:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
The only thing I can think of is Paramount sending each store just the discs and the clerks themselves open up each "exclusive" case and replace the disc, then re-shrinkwrap it back up. Ive done it before in the video game business...so it is possible.
but some per-snickety folk can spot re-shrinkwrapped items and go all apeshit - I've worked behind the counter at a book/cd store and some of them need to get less anal about this kind of stuff.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.