HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray release announcements - Part II

Old 04-14-08, 08:15 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
Thread Starter
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 21,620
Blu-ray release announcements - Part II

Continuing from HD DVD & Blu-ray Release Announcements 2007-2008.

As a quick reference for this first post, High Def Digest keeps a pretty up-to-date list of releases on their website.
Adam Tyner is online now  
Old 04-14-08, 09:49 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wild Wonderful...
Posts: 1,750
I hope this thread shows more announcements
True_Story1011 is offline  
Old 04-14-08, 10:19 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 18,044
Natural Born Killers - June 10

"Warner Home Video has announced that they will release the Oliver Stone film 'Natural Born Killers' for Blu-ray on June 10th as a "coffee book" edition. The film, which stars Woody Harrelson and Juliette Lewis, will be presented in its theatrical form, and not of the four minute longer Director's Cut. Video will be presented as 1080p VC-1 accompanied by a 5.1 Dolby TrueHD soundtrack."

www.blu-ray.com

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 04-14-08 at 12:01 PM.
Mr. Cinema is offline  
Old 04-14-08, 10:29 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,889


It will have both versions!
Zen Peckinpah is offline  
Old 04-14-08, 10:40 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,404
"Coffee Book" means like Bonnie & Clyde, right?
Gizmo is offline  
Old 04-14-08, 10:51 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 707
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
"Coffee Book" means like Bonnie & Clyde, right?
Yup.
dkny75 is offline  
Old 04-14-08, 10:59 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,404
Cool. Sale for me. I still need to get Bonnie and Clyde.
Gizmo is offline  
Old 04-14-08, 12:01 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 18,044
Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah


It will have both versions!
I edited my post. It's just now been confirmed to have only the theatrical cut.
Mr. Cinema is offline  
Old 04-14-08, 12:09 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,404
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I edited my post. It's just now been confirmed to have only the theatrical cut.
Bummer. Never seen this film before...is the DC cut available on DVD?
Gizmo is offline  
Old 04-14-08, 12:46 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,119
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Bummer. Never seen this film before...is the DC cut available on DVD?
Yeah, but only in a really awful-looking non-anamorphic transfer.
wergo is offline  
Old 04-14-08, 02:14 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wild Wonderful...
Posts: 1,750
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I edited my post. It's just now been confirmed to have only the theatrical cut.
Anyone else?
True_Story1011 is offline  
Old 04-14-08, 02:45 PM
  #12  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,494
from this website re: Warner's not owning the Director's Cut:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=1212

"As per GGX's post from the first page, WARNER DO NOT OWN THE DIRECTOR'S CUT. They only have the rights to the theatrical cut. Warner refused to release Stone's director's cut in the mid-1990's. By his contractual right to have his director's cut released, Stone made a deal with Vidmark/Trimark Pictures to release the extended version. Lionsgate bought the Trimark library a few years ago and now they probably own the rights. "

wow, what a loss for Warner Bros. hate to say this but that decision awhile back has come to haunt them on this release.
Giles is offline  
Old 04-14-08, 02:51 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,055
Originally Posted by Giles
from this website re: Warner's not owning the Director's Cut:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=1212

"As per GGX's post from the first page, WARNER DO NOT OWN THE DIRECTOR'S CUT. They only have the rights to the theatrical cut. Warner refused to release Stone's director's cut in the mid-1990's. By his contractual right to have his director's cut released, Stone made a deal with Vidmark/Trimark Pictures to release the extended version. Lionsgate bought the Trimark library a few years ago and now they probably own the rights. "

wow, what a loss for Warner Bros. hate to say this but that decision awhile back has come to haunt them on this release.

Isn't the difference something ridiculously minor, though? like, a few seconds or something?

And now that I've asked, I'm off to imdb to check . . .


Okay, they list 118 min (theatrical) vs. 122 min (director's cut). A missed opportunity, I'm sure, but I doubt the added four minutes would change my opinion of the film.

Last edited by applesandrice; 04-14-08 at 02:55 PM.
applesandrice is offline  
Old 04-14-08, 02:53 PM
  #14  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,494
well, a few seconds here and there, it's alot more visceral in the gore department - you also get to see
Spoiler:
Tommy Lee Jones head on a stick


from imdb:

"The Director's Cut features more than 150 shots removed from the theatrical version prior to release in order to get a R rating"

Last edited by Giles; 04-14-08 at 02:56 PM.
Giles is offline  
Old 04-14-08, 02:59 PM
  #15  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,494
Originally Posted by applesandrice
Okay, they list 118 min (theatrical) vs. 122 min (director's cut). A missed opportunity, I'm sure, but I doubt the added four minutes would change my opinion of the film.
I don't know... any film that has the MPAA sanitizing film violence for the massess, bothers me. Sometimes the violence quota helps, like for Robocop for instance.
Giles is offline  
Old 04-14-08, 03:09 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,055
Originally Posted by Giles
I don't know... any film that has the MPAA sanitizing film violence for the massess, bothers me. Sometimes the violence quota helps, like for Robocop for instance.

Yeah, but at least in the case of Robocop, I liked the movie to begin with. I don't know if a few added bits of gore would completely change my initial opinion of a film . . .

To be fair, though, it's been years upon years since I saw NBK, and it was only on VHS. Maybe one of these days I'll get 'round to revisiting it.
applesandrice is offline  
Old 04-14-08, 03:11 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,889
Originally Posted by Giles
well, a few seconds here and there, it's alot more visceral in the gore department - you also get to see
Spoiler:
Tommy Lee Jones head on a stick
I've only grown to experience NBK through the director's cut, but the other shot I distinctly remember that couldn't have possibly been in the theatrical was
Spoiler:
the hole in Wayne Gale's hand that had been shot through
which got a big WTF when I saw this my freshman year of high school.
Zen Peckinpah is offline  
Old 04-14-08, 03:14 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Bill Geiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly Suburbs
Posts: 12,918
Originally Posted by True_Story1011
I hope this thread shows more announcements
so much for that!
Bill Geiger is offline  
Old 04-14-08, 03:21 PM
  #19  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,494
the topic header should actually read: Blu-ray release announcemets/discussion
Giles is offline  
Old 04-14-08, 03:29 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,404


The studio has now issued the full media release for 'Meet the Spartans,' which it says will also feature an 87-minute Unrated version with material too racy for theaters. The BD-25 single-layer presentation boasts 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 video and DTS-HD Lossless Master Audio 5.1 Surround (48kHz/24-bit), plus French and Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround and subtitle tracks.

Extras shared between both the Blu-ray and DVD include audio commentary with the cast and crew, a pair of featurettes ("Meet the Spartans: The Music" and "Prepare for Thrusting"), "Know Your Spartans Pop Culture" trivia game, gag reel, a set tour, and theatrical trailers.
What's with the rash of 25GB discs by Fox?
Gizmo is offline  
Old 04-14-08, 03:33 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 18,044
The movie is only 87 minutes long. I doubt it needs more than a BD-25. Is this innocent BD-25 question a way for you to try and suggest BD50s are an issue? Meet the Spartans has lossless audio and 1080p video, and matches the dvd in features. What's the issue you have with that?

Their upcoming catalog titles in May/June are going to be on BD50. Patton, Butch Cassidy, The Longest Day, Mrs. Doubtfire, Master and Commander all will be BD50s.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 04-14-08 at 03:37 PM.
Mr. Cinema is offline  
Old 04-14-08, 05:49 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wild Wonderful...
Posts: 1,750
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD

Oh...Sweet... Jesus...

Help us!
True_Story1011 is offline  
Old 04-14-08, 06:35 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 6,610
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
The movie is only 87 minutes long. I doubt it needs more than a BD-25. Is this innocent BD-25 question a way for you to try and suggest BD50s are an issue? Meet the Spartans has lossless audio and 1080p video, and matches the dvd in features. What's the issue you have with that?
+1

I would be UP IN ARMS if Fox released an 87-minute piece of cinematic trash on a BD-50. That would be a massive waste on many levels.

Similarly, if Witless Protection, which was just announced, gets released on a BD-50, I'm going to choke. I'm already mildly annoyed that such a terrible movie is taking up valuable BD production lines at all.
kefrank is offline  
Old 04-14-08, 07:38 PM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 330
Originally Posted by wergo
Yeah, but only in a really awful-looking non-anamorphic transfer.
Only in the USA.

The international versions of "Natural Born Killers" have a good anamorphic transfer of the Director's Cut.
HumanMedia is offline  
Old 04-14-08, 08:33 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,916
What's taking Sony so long to announce Leon? Grrr....
PopcornTreeCt is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.