Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray release announcements - Part II

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray release announcements - Part II

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-08, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD

What's with the rash of 25GB discs by Fox?
At least this movie deserves it.
Old 04-15-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
"Meet the Spartans", "Tinkerbell, "The Moody Blues in Concert". God, enough of the SHIT! Get to the real movies Blu-Ray!!
Old 04-15-08, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytripper
"Meet the Spartans", "Tinkerbell, "The Moody Blues in Concert". God, enough of the SHIT! Get to the real movies Blu-Ray!!
To be fair, day-and-date releases are always going to be hit or miss, and Image is releasing a diverse enough slate that The Moody Blues really isn't keeping anything better from coming out.

This is a slower time of year, but we're still getting movies like Predator, Juno, The Orphanage, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and The Chronicles of Narnia in the next month or so. I mean, we're even getting a Bollywood movie fer cryin' out loud, so there's a good bit of diversity. There's plenty of lousy stuff, yeah, but there are some movies worth seeing too.
Old 04-15-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
What's taking Sony so long to announce Leon? Grrr....
i hear ya. This is one of my biggest wants from Sony right now.
Old 04-15-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
To be fair, day-and-date releases are always going to be hit or miss, and Image is releasing a diverse enough slate that The Moody Blues really isn't keeping anything better from coming out.

This is a slower time of year, but we're still getting movies like Predator, Juno, The Orphanage, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and The Chronicles of Narnia in the next month or so. I mean, we're even getting a Bollywood movie fer cryin' out loud, so there's a good bit of diversity. There's plenty of lousy stuff, yeah, but there are some movies worth seeing too.
Yeah, but if there are people on the fence about switching to Blu-Ray, titles such as the one's I mentioned are only going to send them running in the opposite direction. As many people have mentioned, not releasing "Sweeney Todd" and "There Will Be Blood" was a huge misstep for them. And more classics now would certainly sway new buyers.
Old 04-15-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Yeah, but if there are people on the fence about switching to Blu-Ray, titles such as the one's I mentioned are only going to send them running in the opposite direction. As many people have mentioned, not releasing "Sweeney Todd" and "There Will Be Blood" was a huge misstep for them. And more classics now would certainly sway new buyers.
Are you disregarding everything BD released in 2006 and 2007? The selling point of the format shouldn't be based upon a handful of day & date titles.

BD titles take time to get manufactured. There was no way Paramount had time to get Sweeney Todd or There Will Be Blood out on shelves in 2 months. It takes time to author the disc, get them pressed and package, and sent to stores. I'm sure that exclusive bribe they signed with Toshiba is still an issue. I'm betting they're still ironing out issues from that behind the scenes.

Once all studios are consistently releasing titles on BD, that should be enough of a selling point to convince someone it's time to drop inferior dvds and move towards BD.
Old 04-15-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Are you disregarding everything BD released in 2006 and 2007? The selling point of the format shouldn't be based upon a handful of day & date titles.

BD titles take time to get manufactured. There was no way Paramount had time to get Sweeney Todd or There Will Be Blood out on shelves in 2 months. It takes time to author the disc, get them pressed and package, and sent to stores. I'm sure that exclusive bribe they signed with Toshiba is still an issue. I'm betting they're still ironing out issues from that behind the scenes.

Once all studios are consistently releasing titles on BD, that should be enough of a selling point to convince someone it's time to drop inferior dvds and move towards BD.
No, I'm not disregarding everything BD has released so far. But HD DVD has had far more better titles (IMO).
Old 04-15-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bill Hunt had checked with Warner Brothers about the upcoming The Perfect Storm BD. The HD DVD was one of their problem discs I believe. This is their response:

"The BD release we have produced for Perfect Storm includes the new 1080p master. This is a brand new encode of a brand new 1080p master."

I'm sold now.
Old 04-15-08, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
I'm sure that exclusive bribe they signed with Toshiba is still an issue.
i realize the format war is over and it doesn't really matter all that much, but can't we all be above using terminology like "bribe" by now? bribe implies some kind of shady impropriety, when it was an above-board business deal with significant incentives.
Old 04-15-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Bill Hunt had checked with Warner Brothers about the upcoming The Perfect Storm BD. The HD DVD was one of their problem discs I believe. This is their response:

"The BD release we have produced for Perfect Storm includes the new 1080p master. This is a brand new encode of a brand new 1080p master."

I'm sold now.
Awesome - sold.

Didn't the press release suggest it's an AVC encode?
Old 04-15-08, 02:50 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm sold now.
too bad I don't own a 50 foot screen
Old 04-16-08, 10:09 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Old 04-16-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yummy.
Old 04-16-08, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sold now.
Good to hear, looks like this will be the first HD DVD in my collection that gets replaced by BD.
Old 04-17-08, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

BD listed at DVDEmpire today:

Stargate: Continuum (7/29)
Old 04-17-08, 08:56 AM
Suspended

Per Mr. Cinemas thread...

http://www.reuters.com/article/indu...740482320080417

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Universal Studios, once Hollywood's top backer of the doomed HD DVD video format, will soon release all its new videos on the victorious Blu-ray rival at the same time as its standard DVDs.

The studio is set to announce Thursday that the program will kick off in the summer with the recent box office flop "Doomsday."

Universal's Blu-ray strategy includes plans to release about 40 titles in the second half of the year.

Among them are the studio's five big feature films of the summer, including "The Incredible Hulk," with Edward Norton, William Hurt and Liv Tyler; "Wanted," an action thriller starring James McAvoy and Angelina Jolie; "Hellboy II: The Golden Army"; "Mamma Mia," the adaptation of the musical starring Meryl Streep; and the sequel "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor," with Brendan Fraser and Jet Li.

Universal officially will enter the Blu-ray market July 22 with a trio of films from its "Mummy" action-adventure franchise: "The Mummy" and "The Mummy Returns," both starring Fraser, and the spinoff "The Scorpion King," with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

Also planned for domestic Blu-ray before the year is up are the catalog titles "American Gangster," "Knocked Up," "The 40-Year-Old Virgin," "Miami Vice," "End of Days," "U-571" and "Land of the Dead," among others.

Universal had been HD DVD's biggest studio backer ever since the next-generation optical disc format came to market in April 2006. But when Toshiba pulled the plug on the format in February, the studio wasted no time switching its allegiance to Sony's Blu-ray.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
Old 04-17-08, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Heroes: Season One' and 'Heroes: Season Two Blu Ray

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news...is_August/1659

Universal has announced their first TV-on-Blu-ray release, with plans to bring the first two seasons of 'Heroes' to the format this August.

Only hours after revealing their long-awaited debut wave of Blu-ray releases, Universal is already off and running with further announcements, now setting an August 26 Blu-ray debut for 'Heroes: Season One' and 'Heroes: Season Two' (the latter due day-and-date with the standard DVD set).

Due to the early nature of the news, there are not yet any tech specs or supplement details available for either set (although 'Heroes: Season One' is expected to contain an extras package comparable to the feature-packed HD DVD version released last year).

Universal has also not yet set a suggested list price for either 'Heroes' collection, but says full details should be revealed shortly, so we'll certainly keep you posted.
Old 04-17-08, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ghostbusters - October 21st?

This was copied from blu-ray.com. Originally posted on the Ghostbusters fan website. You have to be a member to read anything there.

"Ghostbusters: The Video Game & Blu-Ray Together!

You heard it here first!

Sony and Vivendi Games are both aiming for the same release date of Ghostbusters: The Video Game, and the new Ghostbusters Blu-Ray DVD. Both are hoping to be released on October 21st, 2008.. while neither is set in stone, both are likely to be released on the same day. Vivendi is working on a Best Buy Exclusive promotion, as well as promotions with Target and GameStop.

Sony and Vivendi are also teaming up for a DVD Cash Promotion. All copies of the Vivendi Ghostbusters: The Video Game for XBox 360, PS2, & Wii will come with a DVD cash credit good towards the purchase of the Ghostbusters Collectors Edition DVD (while supplies last)."
Old 04-18-08, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ghostbusters - October 21st?

This was copied from blu-ray.com. Originally posted on the Ghostbusters fan website. You have to be a member to read anything there.

"Ghostbusters: The Video Game & Blu-Ray Together!

You heard it here first!

Sony and Vivendi Games are both aiming for the same release date of Ghostbusters: The Video Game, and the new Ghostbusters Blu-Ray DVD. Both are hoping to be released on October 21st, 2008.. while neither is set in stone, both are likely to be released on the same day. Vivendi is working on a Best Buy Exclusive promotion, as well as promotions with Target and GameStop.

Sony and Vivendi are also teaming up for a DVD Cash Promotion. All copies of the Vivendi Ghostbusters: The Video Game for XBox 360, PS2, & Wii will come with a DVD cash credit good towards the purchase of the Ghostbusters Collectors Edition DVD (while supplies last)."
"Mother pussbucket!"
Old 04-18-08, 08:50 AM
Suspended

I'll have to call me buddy who works at Vivendi and ask...last I heard he was working on the GB game (or he alluded to me as much).
Old 04-18-08, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll have to call me buddy who works at Vivendi and ask...last I heard he was working on the GB game (or he alluded to me as much).
Paidgeek mentioned earlier this year that it was being worked on. I just hope that date is confirmed. And from what he said, alot of time and effort was spent on that title, so it should look great...I hope. Sony releases have been pretty damn solid the last year+.
Old 04-18-08, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Doughboy
"Mother pussbucket!"
I say that all the time!
Old 04-18-08, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If that's true, I'll be all over both of them like Slimer on Venkman.
Old 04-18-08, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
No love for Blu?
Old 04-18-08, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ectoplasm will never be the same again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.