Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Buy to give away free gift cards to HD DVD owners

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Best Buy to give away free gift cards to HD DVD owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-08, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 363 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by chanster
Ok, for folks that purchased in-store..I see major problems. I called with my receipt in hand. The guy said they aren't set up to see In-store transactions (without a rewardzone card).

To his credit, he manually entered the information, which took something like 30 minutes, but he didn't even ask for the receipt number. He gave me a confirmation number.

So what I see here is a lot of problems for people that bought in-store. I bought 2 players from Best Buy.com. I did a return/rebuy in store to get another free HD-DVD. Hopefully the one that I just picked up via in-store pickup will show up OK, but I know for a fact that in-store purchases are going to be a pain in the but.

So thanks Best Buy, but be warned if you bought in-store without a reward zone card.
I purchased in store and the person I talked to only asked me for the customer service pin # at the bottom of the receipt. Does that pin # have something to do with the rewardzone card?
Old 03-19-08, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kahuna
I purchased in store and the person I talked to only asked me for the customer service pin # at the bottom of the receipt. Does that pin # have something to do with the rewardzone card?
Not necessarily. It's a reference code that the rep will be able to pull up the transaction so they can verify the purchase. If you used your RZ card, it would show up when they pull the information.

Hmm, I'm hoping that they include Feb 23rd since that's when I bought it. I'll call in later to verify when I have access to my receipt. Seems to be conflicting information here.
Old 03-19-08, 08:11 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
$51.30 for an A30 and 6 movies. LOL Best Buy.
Old 03-19-08, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
$51.30 for an A30 and 6 movies. LOL Best Buy.
I would bet you could get better than $50 for just the 6 movies alone on Ebay, even now.

Even after the announcement, I still made money on most of the HD-DVD's I sold.
Old 03-19-08, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Hmm, I'll definitely take the free $100. I used my reward zone for both players. The A3 was already a steal with all the free movies and getting $50 more back on it is pretty much free money.
Old 03-20-08, 09:14 AM
Suspended

wow, what will you hear next?

Powerball giving back $ or free lotto tickets to losing players?

if i were best buy i wouldn't do anything, it's the chance you take.

i didn't see them doing anything to people who bought Sega Saturn, or any of the other number off fads/ products that didn't take off.
Old 03-20-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hopefully I'll automatically get the GC. I picked up my A2 last summer for $299 + Matrix set for $80 which netted me 2 free HD-DVDs instantly + the 5 freebies (which I sold 4 of).

Of course I funded it by selling my Oppo 970 and my Xbox add-on for about $280 total.

That A2 is now my backup player. I did notice they set the date 2-3 days after the xbox addon went to $50. Smart.
Old 03-20-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I emailed Amazon about my early December purchase of the A35 and mentioned that BB is giving gift cards to those that purchased a bad format. They sent me back the form letter about it being too old to do anything about
Old 03-20-08, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by lcnickell

i didn't see them doing anything to people who bought Sega Saturn, or any of the other number off fads/ products that didn't take off.
I think its a bit different than the lottery. One week Best Buy is pushing the product in their ads and the next week the product is dead. I can completely see why they did this and applaud them for it.

I think the publicity alone was probably worth it for them. Smart move on their part.
Old 03-20-08, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by lcnickell

Yeah, they aren't giving $50 giftcards to PS3 owners who actually bought it to play games.
Old 03-20-08, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sbelli
Yeah, they aren't giving $50 giftcards to PS3 owners who actually bought it to play games.

QFT

This coming year though, look out for the PS3 there going to have ton of games that are good!...

Like 4!
Old 03-20-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by True_Story1011
QFT

This coming year though, look out for the PS3 there going to have ton of games that are good!...

Like 4!
4 or 5 really good games and a shitload of movies are enough for me in a year. 5 good games = 300 bucks and about a hundred or so hours of your life.
Old 03-20-08, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sbelli

I have been finding more and more stuff to play though. PS3 is coming around from a games standpoint and its still the best Blu-ray player on the market.
Old 03-20-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Of course I had to buy mine from CC. Sweet if you got it from BB, though. This is really awesome of them.
Old 03-20-08, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I bought two XBox HD DVD add-ons back around November.

My BestBuy RewardZone only shows the past 90 days of activity, and my receipts are long gone.....so, I guess I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 03-20-08, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I bought two XBox HD DVD add-ons back around November.

My BestBuy RewardZone only shows the past 90 days of activity, and my receipts are long gone.....so, I guess I'll believe it when I see it.
Or you could just call them like some of us did.
Old 03-20-08, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I heard about this at work yesterday and I just knew someone on DVDTalk would find a way to bitch about it!

I think it's good for everyone. It's good for Best Buy and it's good for us.

= J
Old 03-20-08, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I heard about this at work yesterday and I just knew someone on DVDTalk would find a way to bitch about it!

This comment doesn't seem particularly constructive. The Best Buy offer has good points and bad points. Do you mean to suggest limiting the discussion to comments only about the good?
Old 03-20-08, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by applesandrice
This comment doesn't seem particularly constructive. The Best Buy offer has good points and bad points. Do you mean to suggest limiting the discussion to comments only about the good?
The offer has bad points? A company is sending everyone who took a chance and bought a player of an upcoming format, which ended up dying, a $50 gift card. I'm sorry, but I don't see the downside.

= J
Old 03-20-08, 05:42 PM
Banned

The downside is that it gives people less to complain about. I would never have expected free gift cards in this kind of situation, but I'll gladly take however many they'll send. I know I bought 4 there, I might have bought a 5th there also. Even if its just $50 for one, that's a couple free movies or an almost free video game, cool by me.
Old 03-20-08, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by applesandrice
Bad points as in someone wasn't included in the date range or something?

I'm with Tarantino on this one, I cannot possibly fathom how someone can bitch about this, but it was easy money that somebody here would.
Old 03-20-08, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
Or you could just call them like some of us did.

or you could wait till after May 1 to call if you didn't receive one like the web site says to do.

the impatience of people over $50 is baffling.
Old 03-20-08, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BravesMG
Bad points as in someone wasn't included in the date range or something?

I'm with Tarantino on this one, I cannot possibly fathom how someone can bitch about this, but it was easy money that somebody here would.
Yep. There is NEVER a downside to getting a free gift card. The person who criticized the deal doesn't even own a HD DVD or BD player. Good luck trying to figure that one out.
Old 03-20-08, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Good luck trying to figure that one out.
I'd try, but it makes my brain hurt.

Last edited by bretski; 03-20-08 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-20-08, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
The CSR told me that their plan was for everyone to have their gift cards by the end of May. Hoping to get mine by the time GTA IV hits the shelves.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.