Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Buy to give away free gift cards to HD DVD owners

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Best Buy to give away free gift cards to HD DVD owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-08, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
I spent over 3,000 bucks last year at Best Buy because they:
A)Have most of the electronic stuff I am interested in buying.
B)Have at least some incentive program (Reward Zone) for you to spend your money there.
C)Interest free for months at a time on any purchase.
D)Are most often willing to not only match printed ads for me but willing to go online and match Wal-Mart and other local stores prices. This allows me to get my stuff there for the same price I could get it elsewhere and get at least 3 months interest free for using my Best Buy card.
Old 03-19-08, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I bet they want people to buy PS3's or Blu Ray Players. Well... they are right. And if they offer to let us trade in HD-DVD's for the Blu-Ray equivalent or for another select title, then hell yes, I'll for sure do it then.
Old 03-19-08, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They can keep it if they want my hardware (statement made above says they dont), I've got close to 100 titles on HD and dont intend on getting rid of them anytime soon.

I'm just wanting Toshiba to sell the rights or at least make a BD player that still has the HD decoder on it.

I'll just spend about $40 on Blue cases!
Old 03-19-08, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by GenPion
I bet they want people to buy PS3's or Blu Ray Players. Well... they are right. And if they offer to let us trade in HD-DVD's for the Blu-Ray equivalent or for another select title, then hell yes, I'll for sure do it then.
Now if they did that (give a decent return, I wouldn't expect 1:1), I might consider doing that.

I'm just wanting Toshiba to sell the rights or at least make a BD player that still has the HD decoder on it.
Any reason they won't do that?
Old 03-19-08, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, some people will find a way to be cynical and negative about anything.

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
I was merely pointing out that it is a business decision to sell merchandise for a profit.
Like every other business decision in the history of planet Earth. Doesn't make it evil.

offer to trade it in for a fraction of its value
This is not a trade in. It's a free gift card for making a previous purchase, which the customer does not have to return. The customer get to keep the player that the customer personally made the decision to buy, even when the customer knew the risk of the eventual outcome of the format war. In addition, the customer gets $50 free, that Best Buy was in no way obligated to give to the customer.

and then give a small enticement to return to spend more money.
If you consider $50 a "small enticement,", then good for you. I, however, am very pleased by this news. Furthermore, you are in no way obligated to spend more than the $50 when you return to the store. If you do choose to spend more than $50, that is your own choice as a free-thinking individual and consumer. You do not even have to return to the store and use the $50 gift card. You can use it as a coaster. You can cut notches in it and use it as a hair comb. You can, in fact, write "Return to Sender" on the envelope in your mailbox that has the Best Buy logo in the upper left-hand corner. In fact, don't do that; instead, PM me for my address and I will be happy to have you forward it to me. It is $50, FREE, without any obligation on your part, and which the company was in no way obligated to give to its customers.

Originally Posted by True_Story1011
I know most times that I go to Best Buy, I'm spending more that $50 on any given release day.
How much more than $50 do you spend? $60? Ok then, $60 out of your pocket vs. $50 giftcard + $10 out of your pocket. I'll take the latter option, thanks.

Holy moley jeez Louise, people!
Old 03-19-08, 10:06 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Hmm...how many HD DVD players did I buy from them?
I know I bought an A2 and A3 in November...I can't remember the rest. Hopefully there will be a way to track those without a receipt since most mailed it in for the 5 FREE by mail.
Old 03-19-08, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Since most people will likely spend more than the value of their gift cards, the answer is that this is a marketing strategy.

I will bow out of the discussion since so many people are enamoured with the wonderful gesture Best Buy is extending. I was merely pointing out that it is a business decision to sell merchandise for a profit, offer to trade it in for a fraction of its value and then give a small enticement to return to spend more money.

Good luck!
wow. You're being critical of a company for giving $50 gift cards to thousands of customers. I'd hate to see your response if they didn't do that. Any other retailers offering up an incentive for those who bought a HD DVD player? Is Toshiba doing anything? I don't believe so. The creator of HD DVD so far has said "tough shit" to their customers. I'm glad Best Buy is taking a different approach.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 03-19-08 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-19-08, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Wow, some people will find a way to be cynical and negative about anything.

Like every other business decision in the history of planet Earth. Doesn't make it evil.

This is not a trade in. It's a free gift card for making a previous purchase, which the customer does not have to return. The customer get to keep the player that the customer personally made the decision to buy, even when the customer knew the risk of the eventual outcome of the format war. In addition, the customer gets $50 free, that Best Buy was in no way obligated to give to the customer.

If you consider $50 a "small enticement,", then good for you. I, however, am very pleased by this news. Furthermore, you are in no way obligated to spend more than the $50 when you return to the store. If you do choose to spend more than $50, that is your own choice as a free-thinking individual and consumer. You do not even have to return to the store and use the $50 gift card. You can use it as a coaster. You can cut notches in it and use it as a hair comb. You can, in fact, write "Return to Sender" on the envelope in your mailbox that has the Best Buy logo in the upper left-hand corner. In fact, don't do that; instead, PM me for my address and I will be happy to have you forward it to me. It is $50, FREE, without any obligation on your part, and which the company was in no way obligated to give to its customers.

How much more than $50 do you spend? $60? Ok then, $60 out of your pocket vs. $50 giftcard + $10 out of your pocket. I'll take the latter option, thanks.

I need to rest my eyes after reading all of that. Good points though. You would win in a Lincoln-Douglas debate.
Old 03-19-08, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well since I own both HD and BD I can spend upwards of $100, if purchasing at retail.

But the real gripe I had with this was - I dont get my $5.00 bounce-back coupons, so what makes me think I'm going to get a $50 GC?

I'm not complaining about MAYBE getting GC cash, but not until its in my mailbox.
Old 03-19-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well since I own both HD and BD I can spend upwards of $100, if purchasing at retail.

But the real gripe I had with this was - I dont get my $5.00 bounce-back coupons, so what makes me think I'm going to get a $50 GC?

I'm not complaining about MAYBE getting GC cash, but not until its in my mailbox.
Have you not emailed or called Best Buy customer service regarding your missing coupons?
Old 03-19-08, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can understand that. I'm treating this the same way that I treated the "5 free" HD-DVD and Blu-Ray deals: I'm not looking for it until it comes, and then it will be a nice surprise.

Still, though, even the possibility of a $50 GC in my mailbox is better than no possibility of a $50 GC in my mailbox.
Old 03-19-08, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I wish the actual HD-DVDs were considered an "add on"

Kudos to the often-maligned-in-forums-though-I've-never-had-a-problem-with Best Buy...

Last edited by Pointyskull; 03-19-08 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-19-08, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish I had four hands so I could give this gesture four thumbs up!
Old 03-19-08, 10:19 AM

I wonder if purchase through Best Buy's business website will qualify for this. That's where I got an A3 ($99 A2 that they subsituted an A3 with) when everyone was going crazy with the Wal Mart $99 A2 last November.
Old 03-19-08, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well i looked for the receipts earlier and couldn't find them so i check my CC statements for dates of purchase and called BB. they had it in their RZ system and so hopefully i will get the 2 GC's.
Old 03-19-08, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hmm... wonder if this will include the HD-A3 I bought in December from bestbuybusiness.com
Old 03-19-08, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Have you not emailed or called Best Buy customer service regarding your missing coupons?

Yuppers, they told me that they were sent out and to 'check my records'.
Old 03-19-08, 10:29 AM
Suspended

I can't even login to my reward zone account right now...keeps saying wrong password. I need to change my address!
Old 03-19-08, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can understand that. I'm treating this the same way that I treated the "5 free" HD-DVD and Blu-Ray deals: I'm not looking for it until it comes, and then it will be a nice surprise.

Still, though, even the possibility of a $50 GC in my mailbox is better than no possibility of a $50 GC in my mailbox.

exactly!

I was pumped as soon as i got the mailer for the 5FO and the BD Test Offer.

But you can write about something all day long.

Until the masses get it into their grubby little hands, (in my case large hands) color me skeptical ( I think that color is lavender!)
Old 03-19-08, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I wish I had four hands so I could give this gesture four thumbs up!
here you go, I'll help!

Old 03-19-08, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I can't even login to my reward zone account right now...keeps saying wrong password. I need to change my address!
You're not alone. They must be doing some site maintenance.
Old 03-19-08, 10:40 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
You're not alone. They must be doing some site maintenance.
Ok, phew! Thought I was going crazy for a minute there.
Old 03-19-08, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Ok, phew! Thought I was going crazy for a minute there.
I called and they told me it should be up and running in the next 24 hours or so. I was getting worred as well.
Old 03-19-08, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts
So I bought one of the HD-DVD add-ons like along time ago. When it first came out. Wonder if I qualify.
Old 03-19-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also bought my first XA1 from them in April 06 (without service plan), but I doubt that qualifies.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.