Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Buy to give away free gift cards to HD DVD owners

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Best Buy to give away free gift cards to HD DVD owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-08, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JimRochester
But honey look! When you buy this washer and dryer it comes with a free Blu Ray player for only $350
Old 04-10-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tjubb
dern it, nothing for me yet. Bought an Xbox add-on last fall with the Heroes box set promo.
Bought the same item during the same sale and still no gift card for me in Connecticut. Starting to worry...
Old 04-10-08, 12:51 PM
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Bought the same item during the same sale and still no gift card for me in Connecticut. Starting to worry...
Starting to worry as well. In Wisconsin here and the mother ship is kinda close. I got the email and the phone call, yet no card.
Old 04-10-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Stiil no card here (Oregon), and I got the phone call.
Old 04-10-08, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by JB7
Starting to worry as well. In Wisconsin here and the mother ship is kinda close. I got the email and the phone call, yet no card.
Oh, good. I'm also in Wisconsin and got the call, but no card yet. I was also starting to get a bit worried, but I assume it'll come.
Old 04-10-08, 02:30 PM

Still waiting on mine in southern CA - player/warranty were purchased the first week they showed up in stores (2006)
Is anyone else in CA still waiting on theirs? It seems a lot of you got them over the weekend or Monday.

For those that have gotten them, are they in the standard best buy shipping materials (the blue/yellow things that reward zone certifications come in) or is it just a plain envelope?

Last edited by SPIDERone; 04-10-08 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-10-08, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Phone call...yes. Card...no. Massachusetts.
Old 04-10-08, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
Phone call...yes. Card...no. Massachusetts.
I live in Boston. I didn't get the phone call, but called when it was first announced to confirm that I would be getting one, yet haven't receive it yet. I guess I won't be using it for one of those BD box sets on sale this week.
Old 04-10-08, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like Amazon is doing the something similar now...

Amazon is following in the footsteps of brick-and-mortar retailers with an offer customers aren't likely to refuse -- a $50 credit to individuals who purchased HD-DVD players. Best Buy and Wal-Mart have already implemented similar policies.

Sony's Blu-ray recently achieved a permanent victory over rival high-definition format HD DVD. With Blu-ray backed by almost every major Hollywood studio, Toshiba raised the white flag on HD DVD. That left thousands of consumers with a device that will soon become obsolete as the industry distributes movies on Blu-ray discs.

Amazon is offering consumers who purchased an HD-DVD player before Feb. 23 a little consolation, a $50 coupon good for anything Amazon sells. Feb. 23 is when Toshiba announced it would stop making HD-DVD players.

"New technologies don't always work out as planned. We at Amazon.com value our customer relationships more than anything and would like to support customers who purchased these players by offering a credit good for $50 off any products sold by Amazon.com," the company said in an e-mail to customers who purchased the HD-DVD machines.

Priming the Pump

Amazon offered a promotional code for consumers to use during the checkout process. It's not an indefinite offer, though. The deal expires on April 9, 2009. There's one more catch -- purchases from third-party merchants on the site are not eligible.

The offer can't be used to pay for special-order titles, e-books or downloadable e-content, wireless service plans, gift certificates, gift wrap, taxes, or shipping and handling. The maximum credit for consumers who may have purchased multiple units is $500 for 10 players.

Amazon also took the opportunity to share some of its top offers on Blu-ray discs, HDTVs and other high-definition technology. The company also reminded customers that the Amazon Marketplace is open for them to sell items they might not want as they upgrade to new ones.

Amazon is not the first retailer to try to appease consumers who purchased HD-DVD players. Last month, Best Buy launched a similar program, awarding $50 to customers who purchased HD-DVD players. On Tuesday Wal-Mart said it is extending its return policy from 90 days to six months on HD-DVD players. Meanwhile, many retailers continue to sell the HD-DVD players they have in stock.

Amazon's Customer-Friendly Moves

"Amazon.com has always attempted to establish a reputation as a Boy Scout for online merchants," said Phil Leigh, senior analyst at Inside Digital Media. "This is just another item of evidence that it is continuing that philosophy."

The philosophy serves Amazon well, he noted, because it has instilled consumer trust and helped establish the e-tailer as a clear leader. Customers have an expectation that Amazon will treat them well, Leigh said.

"Amazon has put together a reputation for treating their customers well. That has led customers to be loyal to them and gravitate toward the Web site, even if they can find lower prices elsewhere," Leigh said. "This move is just another step in that direction."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20080410/tc_nf/59229
Old 04-10-08, 04:33 PM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts
Just received my $50 GC from Best Buy. I never got a phone call but did get the email. Live in Chicago with an O for the first letter of the last name.

This and the Amazon card couldn't of come at a better time! I now have Mario Kart Wii and GTA4 coming to me for a grand total of $10!
Old 04-10-08, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, I got my Best Buy card today. I'm the odd duck who ordered my HD-DVD player from Amazon (that GC came yesterday) but for some reason Best Buy thought I got it from them.

I had the whole shabang from them... email, telephone call, gift card... just no HD-DVD player.

Oh yeah, last name N and I live in WI
Old 04-11-08, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SPIDERone
For those that have gotten them, are they in the standard best buy shipping materials (the blue/yellow things that reward zone certifications come in) or is it just a plain envelope?

Just a plain envelope. Feels like it has a credit card in it.
Old 04-11-08, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SPIDERone
Still waiting on mine in southern CA - player/warranty were purchased the first week they showed up in stores (2006)
Is anyone else in CA still waiting on theirs? It seems a lot of you got them over the weekend or Monday.

I'm in SoCal and I'm still waiting. Got the email about the free gift card on 3/23.
Old 04-11-08, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Got mine yesterday, plain white envelope.
Old 04-11-08, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Wazootyman
Well, I got my Best Buy card today. I'm the odd duck who ordered my HD-DVD player from Amazon (that GC came yesterday) but for some reason Best Buy thought I got it from them.

I had the whole shabang from them... email, telephone call, gift card... just no HD-DVD player.

Oh yeah, last name N and I live in WI
Did you ever buy one from Best Buy but returned it?
Old 04-11-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by m0vi3fan
Did you ever buy one from Best Buy but returned it?
Nope. I've never even bought an HD-DVD disc there. Amazon all the way.
Old 04-11-08, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Wazootyman
Nope. I've never even bought an HD-DVD disc there. Amazon all the way.
That's just weird. But hey, free money! Woot!
Old 04-11-08, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Got my card today!

Oregon - last name "L".
Old 04-11-08, 08:07 PM
Political Exile

Received 485 Likes on 320 Posts
Got my card today. Paid $250 for an open box XA2, got 3 free movies instantly, and now $50 back. Fantastic.
Old 04-12-08, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I got $150.....dont know why.

I bought the A1 first weekend it came out, but I didnt think that qualified. I also bought the A3 last fall. Thats it.

I also bought the Sammy dual player, but I returned it. Who knows....im not complaining.

I also got my Amazon $50 this week.....niiiice week for me!
Old 04-12-08, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I never got an email, but received my card in the mail yesterday. I purchased the 360 add-on in October of last year (with the free Heroes deal), and live in Florida.
Old 04-12-08, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received my gift card yesterday. Had gotten an email on 3/24. I'm in IL and last name starts with N.
Old 04-12-08, 11:26 AM

D - Texas
I got a gift card on Thursday. I received $50, but was expecting at least $100. I had called them 2 weeks ago and they had confirmed that amount. I guess I'll have to wait until May to see if they send the rest.
Old 04-12-08, 12:35 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Still can't find a think to buy at Best Buy. Amazon + Prime + No Taxes has spoiled me. Even though its 'free' money, I can't bring myself to spend $26.50 with tax on a Blu-ray movie thats $19.99 at Amazon. I really wish the S350 or BD50 was out
Old 04-12-08, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Never got an email or phone call, but my GC came today. Impressive!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.