Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk

HD Talk The place to discuss HD DVD, Blu-ray and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 05-19-17, 10:26 PM   #1576
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Blue Underground and Synapse Films to release on Blu-ray

Synapse Films are working with the original Cinematographer of Suspiria, Luciana Tovoli on their restoration.

IMO, totally worth the wait.

Other forums will still find things to complain about.

http://www.theasc.com/site/news/luci...voli-suspiria/

DVDTalk "October Horror Movie Challenge"
2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009
Old 05-24-17, 04:45 PM   #1577
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianxcore View Post
Other forums will still find things to complain about.
I'm not saying everyone on Blu-ray.com is a fucking idiot (most are), but that specific Suspiria thread is like venturing into The_Donald sub on Reddit.

Don May, Jr. has been in this industry for nearly three decades and has never released a restoration that wasn't less than stellar. I realize most of them were not around during the DVD (or Laserdisc) era so they're not familiar with his work prior to Synapse. With that being said, I expect nothing less here, especially with how Suspiria has always been his "bucket list" restoration.

It's a shame the rights holders didn't give him access to the original film elements to Phenomena since that might be Arrow's first release that trumps the Synapse equivalent.
Old 08-25-17, 11:15 AM   #1578
DVD Talk Legend

Pre-Orders for Synapse Films' Steelbook Edition release of Suspiria are live!

Put in my order!

http://synapse-films.com/dvds/suspir...ion-steelbook/

DVDTalk "October Horror Movie Challenge"
2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009
Old 08-25-17, 11:38 AM   #1579
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

It would've been nice if there were a UHD BD tucked in there too, but I locked in my preorder just the same. I'm sure it'll be a stronger presentation than the Italian UHD BD release.
"When you're in your twenties, you wonder what everyone's thinking of you. When you're in your thirties, you don't care what people think of you. And when you reach your forties, you find out no one was ever thinking of you in the first place."
-Patton Oswalt
Old 08-25-17, 03:12 PM   #1580

..I just reserved my order...cant wait...
Old 08-25-17, 05:15 PM   #1581
DVD Talk Legend

$50 is painful but I'm in as well. Been waiting on this one for a long time!
Old 08-25-17, 05:53 PM   #1582
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Not a big surprise, but it look like the Blue Underground extras aren't coming over. Oh well.
Old 09-01-17, 01:33 PM   #1583
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
I asked Synapse about a possible Blu-ray (presumably combo) of The Kindred:
It's happening!

Quote:
On Thursday, we detailed the four-year-long quest by Synapse Films to restore Dario Argento’s horror classic, Suspiria. But, in chronological terms, that pales in comparison to the time genre fans have been waiting for the company to release the 1987 creature feature, The Kindred.

“About ten years ago, we announced The Kindred,” says Synapse Films President Donald May Jr. “We had purchased it and it got entangled in a horrible legal battle. It was no fault of ours, we just had to hold tight until everything was finalized.”

And what is the situation now?

“You know what? It’s Entertainment Weekly — I will let you guys know, you’re the first to hear about it,” says May. “Almost ten years later, I can now say that, yes, we are doing The Kindred, finally, for 2018. While we didn’t spend four years restoring it, it took us ten years to get out of all the legal mess to finally announce it again, ten years later. I could probably write a book as to what happened with The Kindred. [Laughs] We’ll do The Kindred on Blu-ray and DVD, because honestly it’s never been legally available on Blu-ray or DVD in the U.S. So, we’ll be the first company to actually release it.”

Directed by Stephen Carpenter and Jeffrey Obrow, The Kindred stars David Allen Brooks as a man who discovers he has a “brother,” the monstrous result of an experiment conducted by his scientist mother. Mayhem, unsurprisingly, ensues, in a film whose cast also features Rod Steiger, Amanda Pays, and Kim Hunter.

“It’s awesome, it’s really fun,” May says of the movie. “It was done at the tail-end of the era when everything was practical. So, you have practical effects with the creatures being made out of latex, with blood that’s made out of Karo Syrup, or whatever. There’s no computer effects in the film and that’s what we love about it. It’s a creature feature with practical gore and some really amazing prosthetic effects. I can also say that our version of The Kindred actually has more gore in it than the original U.S. version had. We ended up finding material which has extra gore which hasn’t been released here. You might think, Well, it’s a fairly unknown movie that doesn’t quite have the cachet of something like Suspiria. But we like to treat all the films that we do with the same type of respect. So, we’re doing The Kindred for next year and hopefully we’ll have a lot of extras for it.”
"When you're in your twenties, you wonder what everyone's thinking of you. When you're in your thirties, you don't care what people think of you. And when you reach your forties, you find out no one was ever thinking of you in the first place."
-Patton Oswalt