Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

B1G1 Blu-Ray & HD DVD at Columbia House

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

B1G1 Blu-Ray & HD DVD at Columbia House

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-08, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by lizard
This sale is not available at CH.com.

Four days ago Columbia House drastically changed the structure and pricing of the CH.com club. It went from a pretty good deal, at times, to pretty crappy. The BOGOF sale offer at CH.com in January was the first ever and, quite likely, the last.
That's lame. You'd think they'd both be the same.

So in order to get BOGO on hi-def, I have to join ColumbiaHouse.com, buy 7 DVDs I don't need, and only then I can take advantage of the sale.
Old 02-25-08, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Are you kidding me? I thought it was understood that you can only do one pre-order and the other item has to be in stock. Did you by chance do a pre-order that comes out tomorrow?
Not exactly. One of my titles was Michael Clayton [Blu-ray] and Columbia House lists the release date as 3/18/08, which is the HD DVD release date, I believe. It is possible that it worked because the real release date is tomorrow and CH hasn't updated their website. The other title I ordered has a release date of 4/29/08.

We don't really know what the "rules" are for this promotion because it has never been done before. So, I'd suggest trying various pairings of titles rather than assuming that they won't work because pre-orders couldn't be paired using regular DVDs in previous sale offers.
Old 02-25-08, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not exactly. One of my titles was Michael Clayton [Blu-ray] and Columbia House lists the release date as 3/18/08, which is the HD DVD release date, I believe. It is possible that it worked because the real release date is tomorrow and CH hasn't updated their website. The other title I ordered has a release date of 4/29/08.

We don't really know what the "rules" are for this promotion because it has never been done before. So, I'd suggest trying various pairings of titles rather than assuming that they won't work because pre-orders couldn't be paired using regular DVDs in previous sale offers.
Pre-orders in March are working as free ones, April are not. This happens from time to time for the standard dvds too. CH just extends the free window at random.
Old 02-25-08, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MrChaos
Where exactly do you enter this code? I've looked everywhere on the final screen and have had no luck..
Lower-left hand corner on the website. You won't find the code entry box on the two order summary screens if I remember correctly, but all the pages where you see titles to order should have the box on the lower left.

Last edited by Dane Marvin; 02-25-08 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-25-08, 03:48 PM

I'm currently sitting on:

Jesse James
Shoot Em' Up
Pan's Labyrinth
Into The Blue
Hellboy
I Am Legend

$75.63 right now but $12.xx for shipping. Works out to be $12.xx per title excluding shipping and $14.xx including shipping. I can't seem to get that FS code that the OP posted to work! Even with shipping the deal comes out to $88.xx or $14.xx per title. Not bad at all.
Old 02-25-08, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Quite the contrary. Sale offers are extremely unusual at CH.com. The whole point of the club is simplicity.
So in order to get BOGO on hi-def, I have to join ColumbiaHouse.com, buy 7 DVDs I don't need, and only then I can take advantage of the sale.
That's pretty much it. This is why there hasn't been much discussion of Columbia House before. While we have been hoping that they might eventually allow HD titles to be used for enrollment, the market is probably too small for them to bother with such a club.

In addition to the regular club, you could enroll in the TV Edition club and pick up two box sets for $9.95 and then fulfill with HD discs as usual. That's what I did since there were two enrollment sets I wanted.

For those of us who already had unfulfilled CH accounts this is a great deal. For those who do not, and don't want a bunch of SD DVDs, this deal has no value. Sorry.

Last edited by lizard; 02-25-08 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-25-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm currently sitting on:

Jesse James
Shoot Em' Up
Pan's Labyrinth
Into The Blue
Hellboy
I Am Legend

$75.63 right now but $12.xx for shipping. Works out to be $12.xx per title excluding shipping and $14.xx including shipping. I can't seem to get that FS code that the OP posted to work! Even with shipping the deal comes out to $88.xx or $14.xx per title. Not bad at all.
Check the post above yours for the answer. I'm quite surprised that a DVD Talk member has Columbia House membership and doesn't know how to use a sale offer code. I would have thought it impossible.
Old 02-25-08, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
Check the post above yours for the answer. I'm quite surprised that a DVD Talk member has Columbia House membership and doesn't know how to use a sale offer code. I would have thought it impossible.
I don't order too often from them as there prices are typically way too high.

But 6 films for $75.63 is a deal I can't pass up Thanks for the help.
Old 02-25-08, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k

I wouldn't suggest joining for this sale alone, expecting a bunch of HDM sales and selection. This is mainly a kick-ass deal for those of us that kept our memberships and never expected any really good deals on HDM from them for a really long time. Color me surprised as I didn't plan on buying from them again since I don't buy SD-DVDs anymore.
Old 02-25-08, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
Is there a way to browse HD DVDs by themselves?
I try to keep a list of all of the HD titles in the List of High Definition Discs at Columbia House thread. Please note that some of them are marked as "missing", meaning that they are no longer available.

If one has an account then yes, one can get a list of just HD DVDs (or BDs). As you can see from the first post in the thread, the number of HD titles at Columbia House is limited. CH is not a store, it is a club, with all of the hassles that membership entails.
Old 02-25-08, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't order too often from them as there prices are typically way too high.

But 6 films for $75.63 is a deal I can't pass up Thanks for the help.
When I still bought standard def discs, I would get them for an average of $5-7 for the special editions. It was one of the only places I did get my discs because they were so cheap. The problem is you weren't trolling the Columbia House forum at DVD Talk for the B1G1 + free shipping sale offer codes or maximizing your FunCash.
Old 02-25-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I placed an order for two pre-orders without difficulty. You might want to shuffle the order in the cart and try again.

"Special" priced items, such as sets, won't work with this sale, FWIW.
I want Dewey Cox and Golden Compass for $32.96 before shipping, can't get it to work no matter which of the 2 goes in the cart first.

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
C'mon Hammer, you're making rookie mistakes.

Old 02-25-08, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is not much there for Blu-ray. Oh well.
Old 02-25-08, 04:58 PM
Cool New Member

Hey guys, check this out.

I didn't take advantage of it, but I noticed that they are doing triple funcash on certain award-winning titles. If you are already buying something at full price (like taking advantage of this sale) you can add cheap award-winning titles (I found Rain Man, which ended up being $3.18 after the 60% off) and get $6 funcach on each. So, I guess you could add a bunch of cheap titles and get almost double what you paid for them in funcash. Could be interesting to see what kind of deal you could get doing that...
Old 02-25-08, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are Blu-ray titles eligible as enrollment titles?
Old 02-25-08, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hammer99
I want Dewey Cox and Golden Compass for $32.96 before shipping, can't get it to work no matter which of the 2 goes in the cart first.
As Copper Blue said above, you may have run across a quirk in the Columbia House system. Pre-orders near to release date can often be taken as freebies but those farther out usually can't. Even the CH CSRs aren't usually aware of this — they think that pre-orders can't ever be taken as freebies.

Unless you can find other titles to pair with them, you are probably out of luck, unless this offer is repeated a few weeks from now.
Old 02-25-08, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by flashburn
Are Blu-ray titles eligible as enrollment titles?
No. Sorry.
Old 02-25-08, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No. Sorry.
Doh, that stinks! I wish I kept around one of my old accounts.
Old 02-25-08, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
When I still bought standard def discs, I would get them for an average of $5-7 for the special editions. It was one of the only places I did get my discs because they were so cheap. The problem is you weren't trolling the Columbia House forum at DVD Talk for the B1G1 + free shipping sale offer codes or maximizing your FunCash.
I was aware of the deals as I peruse this forum daily. Just since April of 2006 (when HD DVD hit) I stopped buying any real DVD's.
Old 02-25-08, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Grabbed Walk Hard and Pan's Labyrinth for an average of $20 per disc. Good deal!
Old 02-25-08, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
atonement was added today...and it gave it to me as one of the freebies (as well as Elizabeth the Golden Age).
Old 02-25-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
Grabbed Walk Hard and Pan's Labyrinth for an average of $20 per disc. Good deal!
Should have been like $16/disc average... unless you couldn't get the free shipping code to work. My brother and I both got it to go through without buying a third title.
Old 02-25-08, 07:51 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
Is it safe to preorder atonement and bee movie hd dvd? I dont want to deal with a cancelled buy 1 get 1 with columbia house. How long does the sale go? I could wait and make sure theyll be released.
Old 02-25-08, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by g
Is it safe to preorder atonement and bee movie hd dvd? I dont want to deal with a cancelled buy 1 get 1 with columbia house. How long does the sale go? I could wait and make sure theyll be released.
Cancelled B1G1s are great at CH. You get to keep the free one and they cancel the expensive one.
Old 02-25-08, 08:10 PM

I just got Michael Clayton and Assassination of Jesse James for $28 and change. Not bad considering I almost bought Clayton for $29.99 at Best Buy today. I also used the code and got free shipping on the order as well though I only purchased two movies.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.