Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

HD DVD officially dead. Universal and Paramount going Blu.

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

HD DVD officially dead. Universal and Paramount going Blu.

Old 02-20-08, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It will be a good day when I can watch Jaws and Jurassic Park on Blu-Ray...Ya there's plenty more I'm waiting for. Well I'm surprised HD hit the button so soon. I thought they would stay in for at least another year. Anyone think it will bring the price of Blu-Ray down? Instead of msrp of 35 maybe $25? probably won't happen.
Old 02-20-08, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mike2
Anyone think it will bring the price of Blu-Ray down? Instead of msrp of 35 maybe $25? probably won't happen.
I think that will depend on what happens now WRT adoption. If this spurs enough sales, the prices should come down some.

One thing I'd really like to see (though this has nothing to do with the format war or lack thereof) is for them to do price drops on former new releases. It's ridiculous that titles that were day and date in 2006 are still priced as new. Anything that has been out for six months or more should be priced as a catalog title. Of course, not to sound like a broken record, but Fox needs to realize that catalog titles should be priced lower than new releases.
Old 02-20-08, 08:50 AM

Ya I agree 100% with that. Fox is really going overboard with the older releases. Meanwhile BV puts out great titles reasonably lower than Fox. Fox is also killing everyone with their bare-bones releases. Kingdom of Heaven being a huge letdown.
Old 02-20-08, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 309 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by mike2
Anyone think it will bring the price of Blu-Ray down? Instead of msrp of 35 maybe $25? probably won't happen.
i doubt MSRP of BDs will come down as a direct result of this announcement. certainly not to an average of $25. i mean, plenty of new standard DVDs still have an MSRP of $30+.
Old 02-20-08, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 309 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
One thing I'd really like to see (though this has nothing to do with the format war or lack thereof) is for them to do price drops on former new releases. It's ridiculous that titles that were day and date in 2006 are still priced as new. Anything that has been out for six months or more should be priced as a catalog title. Of course, not to sound like a broken record, but Fox needs to realize that catalog titles should be priced lower than new releases.
yeah, amazon seems to have dropped the price to reasonable levels on most of the catalog titles that have been on the "shelf" for awhile now, but the B&Ms sure haven't. i think that will come as more titles begin to saturate the market.
Old 02-20-08, 09:40 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Of course, here's a twist. Maybe an entirely new codec will be invented...

fidodido,

A typical HD movie would be around 18-20GB. If you go to the Blu-ray forum site or whatever, they have all the Blu-ray releases and their relative size.
You're right, but the downloaders will go with reduced quality at smaller sizes. So, when I provided the 5 GB estimate, I'm basing that upon the use of a current codec, such as MP4 (Xvid/DivX). IIRC, even using WMV HD provided 1080p resolutions at sizes that could fit on current DVDs (5-9 GBs).

They will take a hit on video/audio quality, but then, that's to be expected. So long as it's still "HD" to most eyes, then people will be happy.
Old 02-20-08, 09:52 AM
Suspended

Just a comment for those complaining about pricing on disc and players:

Keep in mind, that Blu-Ray is still in its infancy. While this reveals quite a bit about the age of some of the contributors here, many of us remember paying $300+ for our first DVD player, some even $1000. And movies...while many remember the golden days of the 800.com sale, I can distinctly remember how happy I was to use a 50% coupon at Music Boulevard to pick up movies for just $14 (MSRP was ~$28 on many titles).

The fact is that pricing on Blu-Ray is no different (factoring in inflation, it's probably about 50% cheaper) than DVD was when it started out. Now we regularly see movies on sale for $3.99, but it took us nearly 10 years to get here.

Last edited by fidodido; 02-20-08 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-20-08, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by fidodido
many of us remember paying $300+ for our first DVD player, some even $1000. And movies...while many remember the golden days of the 800.com sale,
Ah the good ole days! Haha.....I paid $600 for a Sony DVD player. I loved the 800.com sales and reel.com $20 off coupons...I also used to order alot from dvdexpress.com (i think thats what it was called).
Old 02-20-08, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Those good 'ole days were apparently long gone by the time I got into DVD.

Hell I remember paying back in 2000 $25 each for Swingers (the original non-anamorphic), Groundhog Day (non-SE) and My Cousin Vinny. Maybe that's why the $25-$28 prices right now on new releases and Fox catalog don't bother me so much, as I assume in the next year or so those prices will get better.
Old 02-20-08, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RockStrongo
Ah the good ole days! Haha.....I paid $600 for a Sony DVD player. I loved the 800.com sales and reel.com $20 off coupons...I also used to order alot from dvdexpress.com (i think thats what it was called).
I paid $750 for my first Panasonic DVD player. And that was in 1997 dollars. That's one of the reasons that I don't quite get the lamenting over paying $300-400 for a Blu-ray player in today's dollars, especially when it is pretty clear that the format is still in the late stages of the early adopter phase of its existence. If entry level players are still stuck at that price point in two years, THEN will be the time to be concerned.

My perspective is that anyone who makes statements at this point in time such as "I won't be buying into Blu-ray until there are sub-$200 players and $15 titles" isn't an early adopter.

The other thing that really puzzles me is the way people keep pining for BOGOs and other unrealistic deals. Doesn't anyone else remember what happened to all of the dealers from the late '90s who offered such "great" incentives? They all went out of business.
Old 02-20-08, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by RoboDad

My perspective is that anyone who makes statements at this point in time such as "I won't be buying into Blu-ray until there are sub-$200 players and $15 titles" isn't an early adopter.
Have to agree with this. While I waited for DVD players to go sub-$200 (took until 3.5 years into the format BTW), I knew I was paying a premium for being an early adopter when I shelled out the cash for the BDP-S1 the month it came out. I knew I wanted no part of the Samsung player, and at that point the PS3 was barely out and still in high demand for the '06 holiday season. I happily paid the price to be an early adopter.

To this day I think the build quality of the BDP-S1 is excellent. It's built like a tank. Sure it's only 1.0 and loads Java stuff slowly, but it's been totally solid on playback. Sony even added TrueHD decoding to it well after they had newer models out. Even though I now have a PS3 and the Panny BD30, I will still use my BDP-S1 for all non-DTS-HD titles.
Old 02-20-08, 12:23 PM
Cool New Member

finally!!! Have been waiting for the end of the war. Now just see if we get better players and lower prize.
Old 02-20-08, 12:24 PM
Cool New Member

finally!!! Have been waiting for the end of the war. Now just see if we get better BR players and lower prize of the discs.
Old 02-20-08, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
I consider myself a relatively early adopter and I paid just over $200 for a brand new HD DVD player 6 months ago. I definitely jumped in early, but the player wasn't unreasonably priced so it was easy to do. Why shouldn't I expect a sub-$200 Blu-ray player at this point?

Sony can make what is arguably the best Blu-ray player on the market, throw a "next-gen" gaming system on top of it and sell it for $400, so why am I being asked to pay the same amount (or more) for a stand-alone player?

The economies are all fucked up this round. It's not like it has been before.
Old 02-20-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Draven
Why shouldn't I expect a sub-$200 Blu-ray player at this point?

Sony can make what is arguably the best Blu-ray player on the market, throw a "next-gen" gaming system on top of it and sell it for $400, so why am I being asked to pay the same amount (or more) for a stand-alone player?

The economies are all fucked up this round. It's not like it has been before.
Old 02-20-08, 12:33 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From what I understand, the game console makers get several dollars per game sold whereas the player manufacturers get very little if any for each movie sold. The game console makers can make up their hardware losses with game sales and the same can't be said for movies. So the economics are very different for the two.
Old 02-20-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I consider myself a relatively early adopter and I paid just over $200 for a brand new HD DVD player 6 months ago. I definitely jumped in early, but the player wasn't unreasonably priced so it was easy to do. Why shouldn't I expect a sub-$200 Blu-ray player at this point?
Because, as I said, HDM is still in the early adopter phase, and sub-$200 prices are not expected during that phase. Due to Toshiba artificially lowering prices and subsidizing many of their prices, many people who aren't early adopters now think they are. Unfortunately, that isn't the case.

As has been discussed many times before, Sony was heavily subsidizing the PS3 (that is no longer the case, but even now they appear to be just barely breaking even on it, as opposed to actually making a profit), but that is due to the cutthroat nature of the gaming console business, not the HDM business. All of the game console manufacturers cut the margins on their consoles to the bone, and often subsidize them, because the make up for it on every software disc sold. Every XBox 360 title sold generates a royalty to Microsoft, just as every PS3 title sold does for Sony. The same cannot be said of all of the Blu-ray player manufacturers. They don't get a "cut" of the software sales, and for Sony and Panasonic (who do both get a cut) to significantly subsidize their player prices would cause multiple lawsuits, and ultimately kill the format.
Old 02-20-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Because, as I said, HDM is still in the early adopter phase, and sub-$200 prices are not expected during that phase. Due to Toshiba artificially lowering prices and subsidizing many of their prices, many people who aren't early adopters now think they are. Unfortunately, that isn't the case.

As has been discussed many times before, Sony was heavily subsidizing the PS3 (that is no longer the case, but even now they appear to be just barely breaking even on it, as opposed to actually making a profit), but that is due to the cutthroat nature of the gaming console business, not the HDM business. All of the game console manufacturers cut the margins on their consoles to the bone, and often subsidize them, because the make up for it on every software disc sold. Every XBox 360 title sold generates a royalty to Microsoft, just as every PS3 title sold does for Sony. The same cannot be said of all of the Blu-ray player manufacturers. They don't get a "cut" of the software sales, and for Sony and Panasonic (who do both get a cut) to significantly subsidize their player prices would cause multiple lawsuits, and ultimately kill the format.

It has to really hurt for the standalone manufacturers, then, having to compete with the PS3. Given that, it's rather amazing that they all stuck it out with Blu-ray. Not that they would've been better off producing HD DVD players and then having to compete with Toshiba's price cuts, but . . . ahh, crap. It makes my head hurt.
Old 02-20-08, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by applesandrice
It has to really hurt for the standalone manufacturers, then, having to compete with the PS3. Given that, it's rather amazing that they all stuck it out with Blu-ray. Not that they would've been better off producing HD DVD players and then having to compete with Toshiba's price cuts, but . . . ahh, crap. It makes my head hurt.
That is why the PS3 did an outstanding job with carrying the war to where it is today. Considering that all of the big four: Panasonic, SHARP, Phillips, and SONY will be reaping royalties once that market switches into mass mode their reasoning was quite clear - I truly do not believe that there is any way they could be disapointed with PS3's performance in a mass market simply because the after early-adopters crowd is more likely to not consider PS3 as the best BR machine.

On the HDDVD side of things, as many have addressed it before, slashing the prices to the level they did during the adopting phase was practically a suicide. It is very clear what happened.

Pro-B
Old 02-20-08, 01:23 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any estimates on what the HD-DVD loss will mean to Toshiba's bottom line? I read alot about how a Blu-ray loss could effectively cripple Sony, considering that they placed all of their eggs in that one basket. I never heard the same about Toshiba, but I have to think the impact of all this will be quite substantial.
Old 02-20-08, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
On the HDDVD side of things, as many have addressed it before, slashing the prices to the level they did during the adopting phase was practically a suicide. It is very clear what happened.
For sure!
Who doesn't hate high quality, low priced players!

Old 02-20-08, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by clappj
For sure!
Who doesn't hate high quality, low priced players!

I did not see any high-end manufacturers flocking to match the low pricing Toshiba introduced, did you? Yet, I did see plenty of high-end Blu machines, profile 1.0, introduced.

Pro-B
Old 02-20-08, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6533835.html

Amazon, DVD Empire back Blu-ray
Online retailers to formally endorse the high-def format
By Susanne Ault -- Video Business, 2/20/2008

FEB. 20 | Online retailers Amazon.com and DVDEmpire.com are the latest dominoes to fall in Blu-ray’s direction.

Both are formally endorsing Blu-ray as their high-definition format choice, one day after Toshiba conceded defeat in the format war by announcing it would soon stop production of HD DVD players. On Toshiba’s heels, Universal Studios Home Entertainment said on Tuesday it is flip-flopping from exclusive HD DVD support to now exclusive Blu-ray backing.

Amazon and DVD Empire are not immediately removing existing HD DVD products that are up for sale. Each Web site continues to have a clearly marked HD DVD software section filled with hundreds of offerings. But both will be publicly supporting the BD format in their merchandising strategies going forward.

“The high-definition landscape is rapidly changing, and consumers are looking for guidance on how to make the best high-definition buying decisions,” said Peter Faricy, VP of movies and music at Amazon. “Our customers have clearly voiced their support for the Blu-ray format. Blu-ray titles have increased from just over half of our high-definition sales to over three-quarters of our high-definition sales since early January. In order to best serve our customers, Amazon is recommending Blu-ray as the preferred digital format and will continue to carry the ‘Earth’s Largest Selection’ of Blu-ray products.”

Still, Amazon recognizes there could be lingering demand for HD DVD titles, as more than 1 million accompanying hardware devices have sold since launch. In a corporate statement, the retailer promised to “continue to carry a wide assortment of HD DVD products, including the broadest selection of HD DVD movie titles.”

Similarly, DVD Empire also is being accommodating to consumers who have found themselves on the losing end of the stick.

“DVDEmpire.com will now be putting its support behind the Blu-ray format,” said Shannon Nutt, the site’s editorial director. “However, we want those who own HD DVD players to know that for the time being, we will continue to fill orders and provide HD DVD titles for those who wish to buy them.”

In the coming weeks, DVD Empire is planning to put its entire HD DVD inventory on sale. It’s not clear the scale of the discounts that will be offered. DVD Empire has likewise not canceled any outstanding orders for still expected HD DVD titles, which include Paramount Home Entertainment’s Bee Movie on March 11.

Amazon has not specified upcoming sales. But the site is a well-established spot to find both Blu-ray and HD DVD software deals.

DVD Empire’s Nutt believes consumer interest in high-definition should grow now that there is only one choice to be had. But the dust from the format war is far from settled.

“We congratulate Blu-ray on winning the format war, and also applaud Toshiba and HD DVD for knowing when to pack it in and not dragging this battle out for any longer than necessary,” explained Nutt. “Blu-ray still has an uphill battle in getting home video consumers on-board with their high-def format, and DVD Empire looks forward in assisting them in their effort to educate and get consumers excited abut Blu-ray and what it has to offer.”
Old 02-20-08, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by matome
http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6533835.html
"In the coming weeks, DVD Empire is planning to put its entire HD DVD inventory on sale. It’s not clear the scale of the discounts that will be offered. DVD Empire has likewise not canceled any outstanding orders for still expected HD DVD titles, which include Paramount Home Entertainment’s Bee Movie on March 11.

Amazon has not specified upcoming sales. But the site is a well-established spot to find both Blu-ray and HD DVD software deals."
Can't wait to see what the prices are during the DVD Empire sale and if Amazon will follow their lead with lower prices too. Maybe Shannon will let us know about the sale before it hits slickdeals, etc.
Old 02-20-08, 02:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist

Pro-B
Yes, it is very clear what happened: Warner Bros. blindsided them. Toshiba pulling out of the HD DVD business at this point in the game had nothing to do with the pricing on their players.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.