Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

So ... How many of you have completely bailed on HD-DVD?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.
View Poll Results: How many of you have bailed on HD-DVD?
I supported only HD-DVD and will no longer buy HD-DVD titles
11.88%
I supported both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray and will no longer buy HD-DVD titles
34.48%
I just bought into HD-DVD and returned everything, player and all
5.75%
I will be going down with the HD-DVD ship
47.89%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

So ... How many of you have completely bailed on HD-DVD?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-08, 10:42 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I'm sure I'll pick up Beowulf and Fletch, but that's it for the HD DVD exclusives that have been announced so far.

I'll buy HD DVD exclusives as long as the format is supported, but that does kinda require Universal and Paramount/Dreamworks to bother to announce something, and they seem kind of reluctant to do that.
Gee.. wonder why that is. Could it be so a few folks think they haven't anounced anything yet... I should keep buying their HD-DVD titles.
Old 01-10-08, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Originally Posted by cardaway
Could it be so a few folks think they haven't anounced anything yet... I should keep buying their HD-DVD titles.
I don't follow your logic. If HD DVD has little/nothing on the horizon and Blu-ray has oodles of titles, how does that drive support for HD DVD?
Old 01-10-08, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I don't follow your logic. If HD DVD has little/nothing on the horizon and Blu-ray has oodles of titles, how does that drive support for HD DVD?
He's attacking anyone with a "wait and see attitude." BD's current supporters are lucky that people took a wait and see on BD, because it was stillborn.
Old 01-10-08, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

wow, a lot of hd-dvd supporters/zealots here... going down with the ship till the end is probably the "pride" feeling right now, kudos to you all anyway. i voted for #2, but honestly, i still do buy hd-dvd (2ndary market baby ).
Old 01-10-08, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Zodiac will be my last HD DVD... unless they have ridiculous blow-out sales once the format dies. Honestly, with the speculation that Paramount is prepping new Blu titles and Uni isn't far behind it's only a matter of weeks, not months, before the final nail is driven in the HD coffin. I didn't want it to lose, but the format war continuing means we all lose. I'm done until the huge deals hit.
Old 01-10-08, 01:38 PM

I actually haven't decided.
I bought a player from Amazon on the 25th with the 3 free discs offer. I opened the box and realized I needed a HDMI cable, so I didn't unpack it. The Warner news then arrived before the cable did, and the 3 free discs showed up yesterday. Donn't know if I should finish unpacking it now, or just re-pack it all.

Counting the rebate, I'll have 9 new movies I didn't previously own (plus 1 upgrade that I did own) and an up-converting player for my standard discs, plus a line on pretty cheap HD discs over the next few months. On the other hand, it's $179 I could put towards a PS3, or even to some completely different purchase like a widescreen computer monitor.
I guess by itself, it's not a bad *purchase* but it's a now bad *investment*. Is that enough of a difference?
Old 01-10-08, 01:55 PM

I bought my HD DVD player almost a year ago and I also have a PS3 and a stand alone Samsung Blu-ray player. I have over 100 combined HD DVD/Blu ray discs. I will continue to buy movies on both formats because isn't all about the movies anyway?

What happens if and when Indiana Jones, Jurrasic Park, The Godfather, Jaws, E.T. and other great titles become available?

I've always supported HD DVD and will continue to as long as a title is released that I am interested in.

BTW, I wonder how many HD DVDs will increase in value once they are OOP? I will keep my copy of Pan's Labyrinth on HD DVD. The first and last New Line HD DVD release.
Old 01-10-08, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Spaceknight
I guess by itself, it's not a bad *purchase* but it's a now bad *investment*. Is that enough of a difference?
How many electronics purchases, no matter what type, are a good "investment?"

Old 01-10-08, 01:59 PM

I am on the fence about picking up Eastern Promises and Zodiac on HD DVD. I am a supporter of both formats, because I have the PS3 and an A2, but will not buy anymore down the road unless there is a great HD DVD sale. Should I pick up Eastern Promises and Zodiac, or will they eventually come out on Blu-Ray?
Old 01-10-08, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Edubble
I am on the fence about picking up Eastern Promises and Zodiac on HD DVD. I am a supporter of both formats, because I have the PS3 and an A2, but will not buy anymore down the road unless there is a great HD DVD sale. Should I pick up Eastern Promises and Zodiac, or will they eventually come out on Blu-Ray?
Why wait? If you want them, buy them. It's not like they're going to all of a sudden stop working should they be released on Blu-ray.
Old 01-10-08, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Vipper II
Why wait? If you want them, buy them. It's not like they're going to all of a sudden stop working should they be released on Blu-ray.

Thanks! I will definitely grab those two.
Old 01-10-08, 03:04 PM

I'll wait on Uni/Paramount titles for HD-DVD, right now all focus is on BD
Old 01-10-08, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
the format war continuing means we all lose.
Your gonna have to explain this one.... How does the war going on, mean the customer loses. I have been buying up B1G1s seems like everyone week up until this announcement. The Studios lose if the war goes on.... The Consumer benefits, If the war continued each company would just continue to out due the other. With out competition that leaves the winner to do whatever the feel and put out crappy products because thats the only thing that the consumer can buy.
Old 01-10-08, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by clappj
How many electronics purchases, no matter what type, are a good "investment?"

OK, you got me on a bad choice of words
but that's a good point. computers are obsolete pretty much before you unpack them. This may be no different.

Let's put it this way: how does the upconversion on the A3 really compare to a plain upconverting player? Am I at least getting good value out of that?
Old 01-10-08, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cadrian
Your gonna have to explain this one.... How does the war going on, mean the customer loses. I have been buying up B1G1s seems like everyone week up until this announcement. The Studios lose if the war goes on.... The Consumer benefits, If the war continued each company would just continue to out due the other. With out competition that leaves the winner to do whatever the feel and put out crappy products because thats the only thing that the consumer can buy.
No, the studios will never continue to lose. If anything they will just bow out altogether, like Weinstein did. Then everyone gets zip.
Old 01-10-08, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by matome
If anything they will just bow out altogether.
I really doubt that.... Its also benefits the customer in Hardware and not just disc, If this WB cluster didnt happen, I bet Blu-Ray would be slashing prices on their players sooner then they will now.

Last edited by Cadrian; 01-10-08 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-10-08, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The end of the war doesn't signal the end of competition. I'm confused why some people keep parroting that idea. With one format, there will still be multiple studios and multiple player manufacturers vying for your dollar, just as there has been with SD DVD for eleven years. That kind of competition will lead to lower prices.

Also, all of the companies involved view HDM (at least for now) as a new growth market, rather than the stagnating market of SD DVD, so they will all be trying to find ways to provide (perceived) incentives for consumers to upgrade.
Old 01-10-08, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
I really doubt that.... Its also benefits the customer in Hardware and not just disc, If this WB cluster didnt happen, I bet Blu-Ray would be slashing prices on their players sooner then they will now.
perhaps, but they may bring the prices down anyway in an effort to overtake DVD, particularly if the studios urge them to.
Old 01-10-08, 07:31 PM

I will be going down with the HD-DVD ship 101 47.64%
Very surprised by such a high number. I thought that when I selected it that I would be in a very small minority.

My whole reasoning behind going with HD-DVD was that I want a cheap upconverting for my DVD collection for my Plasma TV. With the free movies by mail and instantly, it seemed like a no-brainer. Now, with WB move I am at a cross road. I don't need or want a PS3 and with the current players not 2.0, or whatever, I don't want to buy a player that is not going to suck!

I am just going to ride the ship down and if all else fails then I will buy DVD movies for cheap. At least I still have my HD-DVR and enough HD movies on Tv to keep me happy!
Old 01-10-08, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just bought a Panasonic BD30K tonight on eBay brand new for $340.00. I was actually surprised to get it for as little as I did. Nice to know it is coming with a 1 year warranty and the receipt for the 5 free movies.
Old 01-10-08, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Geiger
I just bought a Panasonic BD30K tonight on eBay brand new for $340.00. I was actually surprised to get it for as little as I did. Nice to know it is coming with a 1 year warranty and the receipt for the 5 free movies.
Not bad. When you get it, post your thoughts since that will be the player I'd get if I went BD.
Old 01-10-08, 07:44 PM

I reluctantly bought into HD DVD. Although it looks headed to the grave, I do not regret it.

I did not want a Blu-ray player - I did not want a PS3.
The fact that HD DVD may die does not change that fact.

I'll continue to buy HD DVDs that appeal to me. If, or more likely when, the format dies, I will go with it. I have an unwatched pile of SDs and TV shows that could keep me busy for months, maybe years at the rate I've been going. I'm busy at work, beginning to save money, trying to become more social since my move - all these factors point to the fact that I am buying less movies and watching even less!

I still appreciate my collection but at this time I am satisfied with the size of it although it isn't big and is missing many, many titles. In that sense, I've lost that hobbyist mentality. It may just be a phase, who knows?

My eulogy:

Thank you HD DVD. Your short time in my life was truly a blessing. We've been to the Himalayans to play with goats - they were so hot and fuzzy. You've transformed me, knocked me up and now I feel bourne again. I thought u were in control but you were also warned brother - the universe was against you. Maybe God wanted the look and sound of perfect to himself. Maybe your region-free capabilities were too good for this earth.

Damn it, you went to soon! Although I am sad, I will NEVER feel Blu. I will miss you, dear friend.

Last edited by beesonosu; 01-10-08 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-10-08, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Down with the ship.

There are still a good handful of catalog and import titles I want.
Old 01-10-08, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Not bad. When you get it, post your thoughts since that will be the player I'd get if I went BD.
Believe it or not, I was going to get a PS3 but I really don't want a gaming system as my blu ray player. Plus, I wanted this as it is already "future-proof." I could give a rats ass about BD Live though.

I will definitely post my opinions. Deftones bought one of these already. Don't know if he has set it up yet.
Old 01-10-08, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RoboDad
Also, all of the companies involved view HDM (at least for now) as a new growth market, rather than the stagnating market of SD DVD, so they will all be trying to find ways to provide (perceived) incentives for consumers to upgrade.
The only way will be cheapo players that play both Blu and SD . . . so cheap that you'll have no choice but to replace your old SD-only player with one. As for the now stagnate market, personally, I think they release too many titles each week on DVD. It's so hard to collect everything you want, either trying to keep track with what's been released before it's out of print or paying for it all in one swoop.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.