Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

So ... How many of you have completely bailed on HD-DVD?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.
View Poll Results: How many of you have bailed on HD-DVD?
I supported only HD-DVD and will no longer buy HD-DVD titles
11.88%
I supported both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray and will no longer buy HD-DVD titles
34.48%
I just bought into HD-DVD and returned everything, player and all
5.75%
I will be going down with the HD-DVD ship
47.89%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

So ... How many of you have completely bailed on HD-DVD?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-08, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to take the same approach towards HD-DVD as I do with videogame systems once they've been discontinued. I'm just going to keep and enjoy what I bought already (which, thankfully, is only about 15 titles) and during any upcoming fire sales that may come, I'm going to stock up on all the titles I've always wanted to get and couldn't afford. There is nothing gained, in my opinion, in selling my HD-DVDs at a loss just so I can buy it again in Blu and I'm not expecting Blu-ray disks to be that cheap anymore now that the format war is supposedly over.

I must admit I've purchased more Blu-ray disks than HD-DVD over the past few months only because of all the B1G1 free sales that have skewed the numbers in Blu's favor. If they had as many sales on the HD-DVD side, I would have gladly purchased that format instead. A real shame that Warner couldn't wait a little longer before it made its decision.
Old 01-09-08, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Even though I have a PS3, I will continue to use my XA1 and support HD-DVD UNTIL HELL FREEZES OVER!!!

( Why isn't THAT an option? )

-Tek!

Last edited by The Edit King; 01-09-08 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-09-08, 05:29 PM

I never got on with HD -DVD although I was really close. I work at a large IT shop and we have an internal classified ad system. Any given day there are 20ish postings. Since Monday 5 people have posted 360 hd dvd drives, no actual players yet.
Old 01-09-08, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I need to go to the European Amazon sites and buy HD DVDs that interest me. I don't see thse coming out in Blu in the next year.
Old 01-09-08, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm keeping my players and I still have 65 titles even after swapping some for BD. I'm sure I will keep most of those, but I don't think I will be buying any more HD DVDs unless there is a fire sale and I can pick them up dirt cheap. I'll rent what exclusives remain and focus my buying on BD.
Old 01-09-08, 06:35 PM

I decided to go down with the ship. If a title I like is offered on both formats Ill buy blu. If it's HD-DVD exclusive and I want it, Ill buy it. I figure I can still watch them, why not have the best available format.
Old 01-09-08, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm neutral and will continue to favour red due to their standardization.
Old 01-09-08, 07:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm going to continue to buy movies on HD-DVD. I have to wait a little for my budget to be in better shape. Luckily their are too many titles out yet I want however my next pruchase will be Zodiac. In the meantime, I'll be renting them from NetFlix.
Old 01-09-08, 08:31 PM

Still need to get...

Zodiac
Land of the Dead (re-issue )
Channels
Lost In Translation

After that I'm done.
Old 01-09-08, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Yavin
I guess it falls under "going down with the HD-DVD ship".
So we "purple" folks are going down with the HD-DVD ship?

I have the LG combo PC drive, and I will continue to support HD-DVD as long as titles are available.
Old 01-09-08, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Darknite39
I'm getting rid of my sealed HD-DVD titles, switching them out for Blurays when possible (I still don't know when I'll be able to afford a Blu player). The only "new" HD-DVD release I can't wait for on Blu is Zodiac. I'm going to keep my Xbox addon and continue to use it with my new computer; if and when HD-DVDs are cleared out, I'll pick some more up that I've been holding off on until I could afford them.
I've been thinking about the above statement since I made it. How fucking stupid would it be to trade HD-DVDs for Blurays when I don't even know when I'm going to get a Bluray player? It's not like my addon player takes up much room!

I just opened my sealed movies and will enjoy them until my HD-DVD player dies. And if/when HD-DVDs are cleared out, I'll be in line with the rest of the people here trying to buy them up!
Old 01-09-08, 09:15 PM
Banned

Going down with the ship, yeah!
Old 01-09-08, 09:21 PM

It doesn't make any sense for me to keep buying HD-DVD since I won't be able to count on them to eventually be playable on someone else's player in the future (like say, relatives during the holidays).

I only have 10 HD-DVD's and 5 of those came free. Still, I do feel like Warner pulled the rug from under me. Especially seeing that now that I bought a Sony BDP=S300 Blu-Ray, it's clearly inferior to my Toshiba HD-A20. but, what's a guy to do?

I'm just hoping the wife doesn't notice the Blu-Ray player where the HD-DVD used to be. It's hard to justify spending another 400 bucks on another player when for months, I've been touting how great the HD-DVD player is, in comparison to Blu-Ray. But I felt I had to buy it NOW before Sony starts hiking up the price and pulling their 10 free disc offer.
Old 01-09-08, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Although I am getting a PS3, I'm sticking with HD DVD. The only BD titles that really interest me are the Disney/Pixar releases so I'm fine with getting HD DVD's for everything else I might want.
Old 01-09-08, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Going down with the ship, yeah!
Same!
Old 01-09-08, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Okay I am back from China as of yesterday. I tried keeping up with some of the news, but haven't been posting. I was pretty floored to say the least, but I didnt have any doom and gloom feelings when I read the news.

So i opened my mail and find Best Buy reward coupons. $20 off on 3 Blu Rays and then a $20 RZ certificate. I figured I'd go up and get a nice $40 off 3 discs. I picked up Simpsons movie, 3:10 To Yuma and Live Free and Die Hard. I mentally added them up and I would still owe around $70 for the 3 discs! After all these BOGO sales I just couldnt do it.

I picked up Zodiac and happily paid $10 for it after my RZ certificate. So yeah I still support HD DVD.
Old 01-09-08, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Of course I should add that once WB stops producing HD DVD's I'll obviously be getting my WB titles on BD.
Old 01-09-08, 10:00 PM

i was actually just about to put an order in at amazon for a player and some hd-dvd movies the day before WB dropped their bomb. i already have a blu-ray and i was gonna go purple and get one of the packages that amazon was offering, but decided to just exercise some patience and wait for the titles to hit blu. in a sense, i'm glad i waited one more day, but then again...it's not like i would have been purchasing something that would crap out in a few months.
Old 01-09-08, 10:43 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
I am one that just recently bought into HD. I was going to return everything that I could, including the player, and then ebay the two open titles I have and the open 360 add-on.

But now I'm leaning towards keeping about half of everything. I returned a bunch of titles, and plan to return the A2. But now I think I'll just keep the 360 add-on and 5 or so titles that fit three criteria.

1 - They were titles that I really wanted to own in some format anyway.
2 - They were free and/or can't easily be returned.
3 - They have features not found on the SD versions.

So looks like I'll be keeping 300, The Untouchables, Children of Men, Blood Diamond, Lucky Numer Slevin, and maybe Transformers. I'm kind of worried about the fact that a couple of them are combo discs though.

I still may change my mind and return/ebay everything, figure I have another week or so to decide.
Old 01-10-08, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Universal and Paramount are still red, So I still buy red. Also, I have enough HD DVD that I will keep a player or a combo player so bring on the fire sales.
Old 01-10-08, 08:55 AM

HD DVD are the good guys. Blu Ray seem like cocky little shits.

HD DVD will hold out no matter what people say. I know it. Toshiba told me so.
Old 01-10-08, 08:58 AM

I'm still with HD-DVD. If anything I hope this news brings the price of titles down then i'll buy a ton more...

Last edited by MadCow666; 01-10-08 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-10-08, 10:21 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Zodiac may have been the last new day and date release I will purchase. Nothing on the HD DVD slate interests me at all.
Old 01-10-08, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Zodiac may have been the last new day and date release I will purchase. Nothing on the HD DVD slate interests me at all.
I'm sure I'll pick up Beowulf and Fletch, but that's it for the HD DVD exclusives that have been announced so far.

I'll buy HD DVD exclusives as long as the format is supported, but that does kinda require Universal and Paramount/Dreamworks to bother to announce something, and they seem kind of reluctant to do that.
Old 01-10-08, 10:37 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I'm sure I'll pick up Beowulf and Fletch, but that's it for the HD DVD exclusives that have been announced so far.

I'll buy HD DVD exclusives as long as the format is supported, but that does kinda require Universal and Paramount/Dreamworks to bother to announce something, and they seem kind of reluctant to do that.
Which is a problem as Universal and Paramount are not doing shit...again. They pulled this crap last year and Blu-ray over took them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.