Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Warner, New Line, Paramount, Universal ... The Studios/Networks Thread - Part 2

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Warner, New Line, Paramount, Universal ... The Studios/Networks Thread - Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-08, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim
I don't think so, but I'm not sure why. I just read on another forum that Sony announced the PS3 will be made 2.0 compliant.
Do we even know what 2.0 compliant entails?
Old 01-06-08, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Geiger
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...8&postcount=82

I posted that you sold them already as I checked out your auction. Shame you settled for $8 a disc.
Yeah, doesn't bother me any though. I had another lot of 7 sell for $80. Most of my HD's were bought for free, or $7 with 4 for 1 trade in's at Movie Stop with lots of old crappy SD-DVD's.
Old 01-06-08, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Peep
Does that mean that the PS3, with its 40-80G hard drive and wireless connectivity (instead of Ethernet), would now be considered 2.0 compliant?
No, but it could become so.
Old 01-06-08, 10:09 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Jericho
No, but it could become so.
Well, we'd like to think that but I don't think Sony has every officially confirmed that.
Old 01-06-08, 10:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
1.1 is far more complex than 2.0, and the PS3 has all the hardware necessary to be 2.0. I have every confidence that it will be upgraded.
Old 01-06-08, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
1.1 is far more complex than 2.0, and the PS3 has all the hardware necessary to be 2.0. I have every confidence that it will be upgraded.
That one should be a given. If we get that and DTS MA it will be a happy day.
Old 01-06-08, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Well, we'd like to think that but I don't think Sony has every officially confirmed that.
It would seem that they just have.

At the Sony booth, they are showcasing two new prototype BD-Live players. The Sapphire 3 and 4 will both be Profile 2.0. Sony also has indicated that the PS3 will get a BD-Live upgrade sometime in the future
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=813
Old 01-06-08, 10:41 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Damed

Cool. More of a reason to pass on SA players.
Old 01-06-08, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Damed

Great news! Thanks.
Old 01-06-08, 10:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Awesome!
Old 01-06-08, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since I don't quite understand...can someone explain this 1.1 versus 2.0 stuff? I have no clue what either entails or even means.
Old 01-07-08, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by abrg923
Since I don't quite understand...can someone explain this 1.1 versus 2.0 stuff? I have no clue what either entails or even means.
Basically, 1.1 players don't have internet capabilities but 2.0 players do.

Here's a great rundown:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/1186

Last edited by jiggawhat; 01-07-08 at 12:16 AM.
Old 01-07-08, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by abrg923
OK, I was apparently misinformed. In addition to the internet connectivity and 1 GB of local storage (both of which the PS3 already has), there are additional audio and video decoders that are part of 2.0. So, once the PS3 is updated with those decoders, it will be 2.0 compliant.
Old 01-07-08, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RoboDad
OK, I was apparently misinformed. In addition to the internet connectivity and 1 GB of local storage (both of which the PS3 already has), there are additional audio and video decoders that are part of 2.0. So, once the PS3 is updated with those decoders, it will be 2.0 compliant.
You actually read that incorrectly. Let me explain and hopefully it clear things up:

1.1 adds decoders for secondary PiP video and audio, plus 256 MB of local storage capability. (PS3 is using the cell processor power in lieu of the additional audio and video decoders, which in this case makes it 1.1 compliant if updated with firmware 2.10.)

2.0 includes those secondary video and audio decoders, a larger 1 GB of local storage capability, and an internet connection. (What he means is that it includes the decoders above but in the PS3's case it is the cell processor that is doing the work of the decoders. The PS3 already has enough storage and the internet capability to be 2.0, it just needs the firmware to be updated so discs can use its capabilities.)
Old 01-07-08, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by darkside
Finished most of my Warner HD DVD to Blu-ray swap and was surprised at how many discs I will keep on HD DVD.

Happy Feet - lossless only on HD DVD
Phantom of the Opera - lossless only on HD DVD
Superman Returns - lossless only on HD DVD
What does "lossless" mean?
Old 01-07-08, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jiggawhat
You actually read that incorrectly. Let me explain and hopefully it clear things up:

1.1 adds decoders for secondary PiP video and audio, plus 256 MB of local storage capability. (PS3 is using the cell processor power in lieu of the additional audio and video decoders, which in this case makes it 1.1 compliant if updated with firmware 2.10.)

2.0 includes those secondary video and audio decoders, a larger 1 GB of local storage capability, and an internet connection. (What he means is that it includes the decoders above but in the PS3's case it is the cell processor that is doing the work of the decoders. The PS3 already has enough storage and the internet capability to be 2.0, it just needs the firmware to be updated so discs can use its capabilities.)
Thanks for trying to clarify (and you're right, I did misread it), but that still doesn't answer the question I have, which is, if the only difference between 1.1 and 2.0 is the internet capability and storage space, what does the firmware need to be updated to do that it doesn't already do under 1.1? What is missing to make it 2.0 compliant?

Last edited by RoboDad; 01-07-08 at 03:25 AM.
Old 01-07-08, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RoboDad
Thanks for trying to clarify (and you're right, I did misread it), but that still doesn't answer the question I have, which is, if the only difference between 1.1 and 2.0 is the internet capability and storage space, what does the firmware need to be updated to do that it doesn't already do under 1.1? What is missing to make it 2.0 compliant?
Even though the PS3 has those hardware specs, Blu-Ray discs don't yet have access to the networking or storage. That's why most people agree it's a very simple software upgrade, but still one that must be done.
Old 01-07-08, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by akolang2
What does "lossless" mean?
The audio. The ones listed have TrueHD soundtracks on the HD DVD, but only standard lossy Dolby Digital on the Blu-ray. I can hear the difference so I am sticking with the HD DVDs until the Blu-rays get a new release including either TrueHD or PCM.
Old 01-07-08, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I've heard numerous times from Sony execs that the PS3 is their flagship BD Player and whatever updates BD will get, the PS3 will get. So, until a final BD Profile comes out, that's probably your best bet.
Old 01-07-08, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Dave
I was asking more along the lines between Universal and Paramount, what % of the total "movie" market share do they own.
I did some research about this near the beginning of the format. I looked at various things: box office over the past decade, IMDB's Top 250, lists by AFI and Sight & Sound, etc. I weighted things differently, and the end result was pretty much the same (all in order of relative size):

Tier 1 studios, who have the majority of titles: Warner Bros, Disney/BV
Tier 2 studios: Paramount/DW, Sony, Universal, Fox
Tier 3 studios: LGF, Weinstein, independents

As we all automatically realized once we heard, WB going Blu was the killing blow. Paramount and Universal aren't small fish and they're not dead in the water, but they control, at very best, 25% of the HDM market. And the truth is, catalogue titles don't matter to most people. Yes, The Searchers is nice but I'd be willing to bet 300 outsold it in the first day or two.

My only hope is that WB does put I Am Legend on HD DVD.
Old 01-07-08, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This was posted on The Digital Bits:

"I think it would be wise at this point for the Blu-ray Disc Association and its member studios and manufacturers to make a peace offering of sorts to HD-DVD supporters. Warner and the rest of the BDA should make some kind of offer to HD-DVD enthusiasts that would allow them to exchange a few of their HD-DVD discs for Blu-ray versions of the same titles, or to provide some kind of additional discount on Blu-ray players to those who have purchased HD-DVD players prior to December 31st 2007, to help them migrate to Blu-ray more easily and painlessly. It would be a nice gesture. It's not like both camps aren't giving tons of free discs away already in "buy one get one free" offers. It might cost the BDA a little up front, but the goodwill it would generate among enthusiasts would be worth the expense, I think. It would be a nice way to welcome HD-DVD consumers into the Blu-ray fold, and it's a way to help put this format war foolishness - and the acrimony that it's inspired online - behind us. It's worth considering."

"One last note this evening: That idea I floated yesterday, that the BDA should offer an olive branch to HD-DVD consumers? I mentioned it to senior BDA executives this evening, and I think you can safely say that they're going to move forward with something along these very lines in the weeks ahead. We'll post more when we can, but the idea was definitely warmly received. In fact, plans are already in the works. We'll post more on this as things develop."
Old 01-07-08, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd be down with some sort of Blu-Ray player subsidy. I have no interest in trading any of my HD DVDs for Blu-Ray discs, though.
Old 01-07-08, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Shit, I just bought a player last night. I bet they will do some kind of discount now and I will miss out on it for acting too soon...
Old 01-07-08, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema

"I think it would be wise at this point for the Blu-ray Disc Association and its member studios and manufacturers to make a peace offering of sorts to HD-DVD supporters. Warner and the rest of the BDA should make some kind of offer to HD-DVD enthusiasts that would allow them to exchange a few of their HD-DVD discs for Blu-ray versions of the same titles, or to provide some kind of additional discount on Blu-ray players to those who have purchased HD-DVD players prior to December 31st 2007, to help them migrate to Blu-ray more easily and painlessly. It would be a nice gesture. It's not like both camps aren't giving tons of free discs away already in "buy one get one free" offers. It might cost the BDA a little up front, but the goodwill it would generate among enthusiasts would be worth the expense, I think. It would be a nice way to welcome HD-DVD consumers into the Blu-ray fold, and it's a way to help put this format war foolishness - and the acrimony that it's inspired online - behind us. It's worth considering."

"One last note this evening: That idea I floated yesterday, that the BDA should offer an olive branch to HD-DVD consumers? I mentioned it to senior BDA executives this evening, and I think you can safely say that they're going to move forward with something along these very lines in the weeks ahead. We'll post more when we can, but the idea was definitely warmly received. In fact, plans are already in the works. We'll post more on this as things develop."
I'm excited about this possibility. Makes me think that I should wait a bit longer before sending in my rebate for the 5 free-by-mail HD-DVDs. I have a feeling that, with my luck, the day after I cut out the A3's UPC and mail it in for the rebate there will be news that owners of Toshiba players can get some sort of discount off a Blu-Ray player ... but it will require sending in the original UPC.
Old 01-07-08, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema

Really, WB is the only one that can do this, and the list of titles would be short.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.