Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Warner, New Line, Paramount, Universal ... The Studios/Networks Thread - Part 2

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Warner, New Line, Paramount, Universal ... The Studios/Networks Thread - Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-08, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since the format war is over do you they will get rid of those stupid f-ing blu-ray cases?
Old 01-09-08, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainRon
Since the format war is over do you they will get rid of those stupid f-ing blu-ray cases?
"But that's how you know it's a Honda!!!"
Old 01-09-08, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by redbill
hope most of America has good credit, when 1/2 a season goes for $90...
I think you missed Josh's joke.
Old 01-09-08, 04:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CaptainRon
In favor of what? The only thing I would consider an improvement is thinpaks like those used for SD DVD's, and even those are taller. But they are a little bit thinner.
Old 01-09-08, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
So Profile 2.0 quadruples the memory from 1.1 (which is 256MB).

I hope that does indeed result in faster Java.
no, not really. it quadruples the persistent storage, not the random access memory, so you probably won't see any faster Java processing strictly as a result of mere profile specs. to be completely accurate, profile 2.0 merely requires access to 1GB of persistent storage (onboard or offboard), so a player with an SD slot or a USB port can be considered profile 2.0 compliant if it also meets the rest of the specs.
Old 01-09-08, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Mordred
I think you missed Josh's joke.
you're right i did...

i get jokes
Old 01-09-08, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually, I really like the cases, both for HD DVD and Blu-ray. I think they are classy looking, and provide a sense of uniformity on my shelf. And the are easily distinguished from SD DVDs in stores.

Probably the only thing I'd change is that I'd make the logo less prominent on the spine.
Old 01-09-08, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts
Originally Posted by cardaway
In favor of what? The only thing I would consider an improvement is thinpaks like those used for SD DVD's, and even those are taller. But they are a little bit thinner.
it's not going to happen, but i wouldn't mind seeing a less obtrusive color (such as smoke gray) for the cases. the blue case (and the red HD DVD case, for that matter) sometimes really clashes with the cover art for the movie.
Old 01-09-08, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, once Blu-ray is the only HDM in stores, they might be more inclined to use a wider variety of colors. That might not be a bad thing.
Old 01-09-08, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I like the new HDM cases too. IMO there about as slim and short as you can go and still have things look nice.

Frankly I don't understand why DVD cases couldn't have been this small from the beginning.
Old 01-09-08, 04:47 PM

I like the new HDM cases too. IMO there about as slim and short as you can go and still have things look nice.

Frankly I don't understand why DVD cases couldn't have been this small from the beginning.

The size was used in order to achieve some uniformity between VHS & DVD.
Old 01-09-08, 04:49 PM

I want make a quick point about how funny it is to see the way people are going against their own best judgment to defend HD DVD. I have an HD DVD player and HD DVDs I invested in it, however I know I should in no way be defending by saying thins like "It's not over yet..." It is over, time to start searching for a Blu-Ray player.

Let's get serious here people.
Old 01-09-08, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
"But that's how you know it's a Honda!!!"
Classic
Old 01-09-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by redbill
hope most of America has good credit, when 1/2 a season goes for $90...
LOL I was thinking the same thing.
Old 01-09-08, 05:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kefrank
it's not going to happen, but i wouldn't mind seeing a less obtrusive color (such as smoke gray) for the cases. the blue case (and the red HD DVD case, for that matter) sometimes really clashes with the cover art for the movie.
I agree. Some of the art totally clashed with the bright blue borders the case creates.

I was just mentioning that to somebody yesterday when looking at the POTC:AWE slipcover for the BD version. Now that they might not have to match anything but blue and black, don't be surprised if there is a very blueish tone to most DVD and BD coverart images in the future.

Last edited by cardaway; 01-09-08 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-09-08, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kefrank
A color change would be welcome to me also. Both the blue and red cases add too much color to the cover art and alter ones perception of what is being designed. Whomever decided on wasting as much as 30% of the cover on the generic swoosh patterns should never be allowed near them again also.

Can't say I care for the closing latches a couple of the studios use, used to use, on the cases either. They are flimsy and don't even close all the way.
Old 01-09-08, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by abintra
Can't say I care for the closing latches a couple of the studios use, used to use, on the cases either. They are flimsy and don't even close all the way.
I tear these off every case. I hate 'em.
Old 01-09-08, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,193 Likes on 1,498 Posts
I tear these off every case. I hate 'em.
No need to do that. I just push them in all the way until they click into place (while the case is open). After that, they are "hidden" and it's like they aren't even there.
Old 01-09-08, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock
No need to do that. I just push them in all the way until they click into place (while the case is open). After that, they are "hidden" and it's like they aren't even there.
I know they do that - a lot of them come like that.

I just like 'em gone. It's one of my little opening rituals. I always get rid of all security tags and any security latches. Call me compulsive.
Old 01-09-08, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know they do that - a lot of them come like that.

I just like 'em gone. It's one of my little opening rituals. I always get rid of all security tags and any security latches. Call me compulsive.
I kinda like the tabs, but what I think is sort of nifty is that you can twist them off and then just stick them back in and they'll hold onto the bottom half of the case so they look like they're attached but you can just open the case normally and they just remain in place.
Old 01-09-08, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cultshock
With the little latch on some HD cases, I just push them in a bit to flex the hinge and they start closing fine. I actually like the HD DVD and BD cases and don't want them changed. I wish DVD had gone with cases this small.
Old 01-09-08, 09:04 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Universal going Blu too

Universal Ending Its HD DVD Exclusivity
Wednesday January 9, 8:19 pm ET
By Rafat Ali

What a week for the two camps: after Warner Bros. pulled out of HD DVD camp, and denials by Paramount of going completely Blu-Ray, comes the news from Variety that Universal's commitment to backing HD DVD exclusively has ended, though it has not pulled out of the camp completely. Universal, owned by NBC Universal (NYSE: GE - News), is not ready to pull out completely yet, and is committed to a series of promotions for the HD format in coming months, the story says.

Meanwhile, Paramount, which signed on with Toshiba last summer, has a clause in the deal that allows it to pull out of the contract if WB goes with Blu-ray, but it plans to keep backing HD DVD for now.
http://biz.yahoo.com/paidcontent/080...2_id.html?.v=1

Blu-ray could win high-def battle
HD DVD backers could switch sides soon Blu-ray nearer to triumph
By DIANE GARRETT, DIANE GARRETT, BEN FRITZThe two remaining studios backing HD DVD could switch sides soon, ending the high-def format war instantly.
Daily Variety has confirmed that Universal's commitment to backing HD DVD exclusively has ended. And Paramount has an escape clause in its HD DVD contract allowing it to release pics on Blu-ray after Warner Bros.' decision to back that format exclusively.
http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=20&cs=1

Last edited by Howiefan; 01-09-08 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-09-08, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I take it you didn't actually read the article.
Old 01-09-08, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Ah, yeah the article doesn't say when they will start on BD and it doesn't look like it is happening in the next few months.
Old 01-09-08, 09:07 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
I have and the article says Universal will now release on Blu-ray as well as on HD-DVD...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.