Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Reuters/USA Today: Warner Bros. will back only Blu-ray

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Reuters/USA Today: Warner Bros. will back only Blu-ray

Old 01-04-08, 04:19 PM
  #151  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,693
1. that digital bits guy must be lovin' this
2. whoever started the rumor (fact) that WB would go BD... keep postin'!
3. people can stop chanting that Sony formats always fail.
young is offline  
Old 01-04-08, 04:20 PM
  #152  
DVD Talk Legend
 
darkside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 19,847
The only thing that sucks is the fact many of the Warner releases are missing stuff on BD (or flat never released on BD) so its not as easy as just replacing them all with the BD versions.
When I get around to replacing my A2 it will be with a dual format player. No need to get rid of all of my Warner HD DVDs.

Last edited by darkside; 01-04-08 at 04:59 PM.
darkside is offline  
Old 01-04-08, 04:22 PM
  #153  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Originally Posted by Yavin
Now everyone who is in the red camp (myself included) needs to rethink their entire buying strategy.
Not really. I haven't bought a SD dvd since I got into HD over a year ago. I'll still buy HD-DVDs until they quit coming out.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 01-04-08, 04:23 PM
  #154  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 200
Starting today I will only buy blu-ray unless it is a HD-DVD exclusive title. Glad I own both.
larry47591 is offline  
Old 01-04-08, 04:23 PM
  #155  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 15,541
have to say I am very surprised at this news, and it's timing.

I was really expecting an HD DVD exclusive announcement, and not this soon.

I've been steadily replacing my WB HD DVD's with Blu-Ray's from all the WB BOGO's, but I still wouldn't dream of selling of my A1, A20 and HD DVD's until every movie on HD DVD is available on Blu. And even then, I would likely only replace many of those titles if the PQ was better on Blu (seems unlikely), or both my players broke.

Hell, I'll still be buying day and date HD DVD exclusives until I know for a fact Universal and/or Paramount will be releasing them on Blu. if my HD DVD player has to become my Universal/Paramount/DreamWorks machine, then so be it.
bunkaroo is offline  
Old 01-04-08, 04:25 PM
  #156  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
GreenMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 5,326
Thank god I don't have to listen to people speculate any more.

My preference is still HD-DVD for its region-free / optional AACS / no BD+ nature, so that's what I'll continue to prefer. Not like the players are going to implode or anything. I still expect to see some good dual-format players to come out to get people through the transition. I would like, because I really dislike using the PS3 as a BD player.

Funny, because my favorite studios seem to be Warner, Universal and Paramount. Looks like that 2 disc BD (OK, 4 discs if you count my wife's discs) collection is going to get a boost this year.

I'm hoping to see some people dumping stuff on ebay. I could use an XA2 or some cheap HD-DVDs.


You guys better start dumping those HD-DVDs fast on ebay and rebuying in BD!

*starts searching ebay for panicked HD-DVD firesales*
GreenMonkey is offline  
Old 01-04-08, 04:26 PM
  #157  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
BuckNaked2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 5,954
This really sucks. I though it was going to go the other way, if any decision was made at all.

The timing is awful with CES starting this weekend.
BuckNaked2k is offline  
Old 01-04-08, 04:27 PM
  #158  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Sand Point
Posts: 2,249
I own both formats, but even if HD-DVD dies, it's not like my HD-DVD movies will suddenly cease to work the very next day.
Legolas is offline  
Old 01-04-08, 04:28 PM
  #159  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,661
Originally Posted by young
1. that digital bits guy must be lovin' this
I said it before, but no, he isn't. And I dislike the guy about as much as anyone, but it's only fair to hit him when he's fighting back.

Originally Posted by bill hunt

Blu-ray now has 70% exclusive access to Hollywood studio content. Didn't we say this format war would finally end in 2008? Not a moment too soon as far as we're concerned. Our bet is that Universal and Paramount announce Blu-ray support by mid 2008, if not sooner. No studio is going to want to be the last one holding the bag now.

You sure can't say we didn't tell you this was coming, folks.
DVD Josh is offline  
Old 01-04-08, 04:28 PM
  #160  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Canuckistan
Posts: 10,027
Originally Posted by Legolas
I own both formats, but even if HD-DVD dies, it's not like my HD-DVD movies will suddenly cease to work the very next day.
That's in the next Toshiba firmware update
Shazam is offline  
Old 01-04-08, 04:28 PM
  #161  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 469
Originally Posted by Ocelot
You know, the hd-dvd camp didn't really do much over the past few months. The biggest news was Paramount going hd-dvd exclusive and even that, it was MS's move. Honestly, all i see is hd-dvd supporters/zealots cheering. Region code this and that, have you even look at the price of the imports? Even then i don't give a damn, why? Well, bunch of you said HD is niche niche market. To me, foreign films are a tinier niche niche within the niche niche.

I agree with the higher cost of BD player and that's that. However, please don't compare the PS3 with the A2...
i'm in new zealand buddy, region codes are a serious issue for me
steelpotato is offline  
Old 01-04-08, 04:29 PM
  #162  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 200
I am not going to get read of my 100 hd but I will not buy anymore unless it is HD-DVD exclusive.
larry47591 is offline  
Old 01-04-08, 04:29 PM
  #163  
DVD Talk Legend
 
stingermck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NC
Posts: 15,077
One good thing, this does give MS, Toshiba, and co a few days to think of something huge, to counter this.
stingermck is offline  
Old 01-04-08, 04:30 PM
  #164  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,383
Originally Posted by young
3. people can stop chanting that Sony formats always fail.
BD at this point is a slightly more successful failure than HD DVD. It certainly isn't a success, yet.
Qui Gon Jim is offline  
Old 01-04-08, 04:31 PM
  #165  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: IL
Posts: 1,799
One of my concerns is what will WB support continue to be for the Web-enabled features of their HD-DVDs? It's available for now, but for how long?
flix1 is offline  
Old 01-04-08, 04:31 PM
  #166  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 15,982
Well, I've been buying dual-format titles on BD for a year now. I still think it will take about 3 years for titles to catch up - Universal won't just dump 200 titles onto the market at once.

I just hope the B1G1 deals continue.
Drexl is offline  
Old 01-04-08, 04:31 PM
  #167  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,229
Welp, makes no difference to me. I recently got into it and don't have many movies, about 36 between both formats. I will keep my HD-DVDs until the player dies and then I will just grab a player off ebay. By that time I am sure some other format will be out.
DVDsAreMyLIFE is offline  
Old 01-04-08, 04:32 PM
  #168  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Fort Fun, Colorado
Posts: 645
Warner's decision really surprises me. I envisioned them continuing to support both formats for at least another year. Does this mean the death of HD DVD? Maybe a heart-attack, but I don't think the patient is dead yet.

I'm in the process of building a HTPC, it was to be my method of becoming format neutral...this plan will continue, though I might wait a bit longer before buying the LG dual format drive. The stand-alone BD players are still too expensive for me to buy into.

So I guess at this point it becomes a wait-and-see affair. If prices on software go up because of this, I'll sit out the HDM game, and enjoy what I have right now.
bretski is offline  
Old 01-04-08, 04:35 PM
  #169  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,834
What would be funny would be if Disney went HD DVD exclusive.

(No, it won't happen).
The Bus is offline  
Old 01-04-08, 04:35 PM
  #170  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: orange county, ca.
Posts: 23
i just got back from the caribbean an hour ago.
i had an amazon box at the front door with an A3 and FIFTEEN HD DVDS.
i opened it, set it up, turned on my computer, checked dvdtalk..
AND NOW I'M ABOUT TO KILL MYSELF.

god speed hd dvd, it was fun while it lasted.
now, what to do with my 40ish others?
analogue is offline  
Old 01-04-08, 04:36 PM
  #171  
DVD Talk Legend
 
stingermck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NC
Posts: 15,077
Hmm, do we need a separate "What the f*ck do we do now?" thread, or leave it in here?
stingermck is offline  
Old 01-04-08, 04:37 PM
  #172  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,473
Originally Posted by stingermck
One good thing, this does give MS, Toshiba, and co a few days to think of something huge, to counter this.
So what do you think they can come up with in two days? Getting Troma to become an HD-DVD exclusive studio?
Deftones is offline  
Old 01-04-08, 04:37 PM
  #173  
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 969
Originally Posted by David Levine
So if WB would've gone HD-DVD exclusive instead would you still be upset because they'd be ditching a lot of other people as customers?
Since your argument makes no sense what so ever I will correct you. If I supported Blu ray right before the Paramount switch I would do the same. If I supported Blu Ray and Paramount ditched me as a customer I would return any unopened Blu Rays.
cinten is offline  
Old 01-04-08, 04:38 PM
  #174  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 492
I wonder if all the Amazon BOGOs (both HD-DVD and Blu-ray) have occurred because of competition? I would hate to see all the sales go away because of this announcement. Iíve been buying Blu-rays on these BOGOs when the prices are right for awhile. I wonít get a player until early next week. Iíve had the Toshiba A2 since the Wal-Mart sale.

Hopefully the consumer will not end up with higher disc prices.
TexasDVDer is offline  
Old 01-04-08, 04:39 PM
  #175  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Chrisedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Part of the Left-Wing Conspiracy
Posts: 6,853
Regarding the HP sets, I don't have a problem with the 20 or so HD-DVD's I have, but I purposely didn't get the HP discs, because I want all 7 movies in the same format. I have 1-4 on SD, and will just get by with out 5-6 until the 7 movie set comes out.

Bummer news, but it was gonna go one way or the other. I told the wife I want a PS3 now.
Chrisedge is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.