Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Reuters/USA Today: Warner Bros. will back only Blu-ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Reuters/USA Today: Warner Bros. will back only Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-08, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Raul3
But...

- They won't stop working, after BD is the only format.
- They look/sound the same as BD.

Or you just don't want to have 2 players in your home theater?
My VHS player still works too, friend.
Old 01-04-08, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Or you just don't want to have 2 players in your home theater?
Honestly I think thats me. *Looks over at the Cable Box, A2, Receiver, 360* lol

Or maybe it wouldn't be so bad, having 2 players
Old 01-04-08, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do these companies ever think about the consumers (apparently, they are in a bad way). Why would they freakin' release TWO hd players?! Why would they not release all movies on BOTH formats?! At least do one of these two choices for the sake of us! Now do they really want us to look at our HD-DVD players and really expect us to buy Blue Ray? Well...yes, of course! Still, I'm just angry right now. I've just wasted $180 dollars plus tax and now later (if the prices go down), going to spend more money on Blue Ray!!! Was it worth the fight? Was it really neccessary to start a war? I swear if they come up with another thing against blue Ray...if only thw world could be more convenient and intelligent of what they're doing...
Old 01-04-08, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by analogue
saw this posted on the hidefdigest forums, and i think this guy speaks for many.

"Great, now ALL of my entertainment dollars will support Sony if I buy BD. As if CD, multiple Hollywood movie studio ownership, PCs, gaming systems and home theater gear wasn't enough, you can't escape supporting this shithole company if you want any entertainment.

The lesser, incomplete and buggy format will win out now. Hooray?"
Actually, the PS3 is one of the best HD players (in either format). The main problem with Blu-Ray is that, yeah, you must have a PS3. Other way you'll have a lot of issues when they introduce new features or fix problems.
Old 01-04-08, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I do not see the point in continue to buy into a dying format. Unless it's a major release exclusive to HD-DVD, I just won't do it. Sooner than later, we will all be selling our HD-DVD media and replacing them with BD, just like we did with DVD when HD and BD came out.
DVDs weren't as good as HD-DVD or BD. HD-DVD and BD are essentially the same. So I can't see needing to upgrade.

When Sega got out of the console business, I felt no need to buy those games on the playstation that I already had on the Saturn. Okay, I didn't have a Saturn, but hopefully the point is made.

Congrat's to Blu for this one. Can't really say much other then that. There was an interesting article in the Toronto Star about the "next gen dvd" in general...decent read;

http://www.thestar.com/article/290297

According to research by NPD Group, only 11 per cent of HDTV set owners strongly intend to buy a Blu-ray or HD DVD player by spring. Almost three-quarters of those HDTV owners surveyed said standard DVD was good enough for them.

"This may emerge as a premium, luxury item, not a successor to DVD," said Ross Rubin, director for industry analysis at NPD.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

why would Universal go to BD? aren't they like Fox and Sony with Blu-Ray?
From all that I read, Universal really hates Sony. That makes me worrisome about being able to watch their movies in HD if (when) HD DVD finally formally ends. I hope it's not as long as it took Sony to release on VHS.
Old 01-04-08, 05:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Harry Lime
-mod snip-
i had a sony camcorder die after three months.
i had a sony 20" tube television that CAUGHT FIRE in my college dorm 2 years after purchase. i don't have pets, i clean daily, i keep my things in excellent condition..so i can't figure it out.

don't even get me started on losing over 100gbs of music when my first laptop, a sony vaio, had a hard drive failure.

i've had bad experiences with sony products. i would never consider a sony blu - ray player. the samsung one looks nice, i have a 40" LCD of theirs that i purchased in august, as well as two dvd players, a cell phone and a fridge, that i love to death.

i'm knocking sony as a company, not as a provider of the format.

Last edited by namja; 01-04-08 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-04-08, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
DVDs weren't as good as HD-DVD or BD. HD-DVD and BD are essentially the same. So I can't see needing to upgrade.

When Sega got out of the console business, I felt no need to buy those games on the playstation that I already had on the Saturn. Okay, I didn't have a Saturn, but hopefully the point is made.
Exactly! that's my point too.
Old 01-04-08, 05:10 PM
Banned

Actually, the PS3 is one of the best HD players (in either format). The main problem with Blu-Ray is that, yeah, you must have a PS3. Other way you'll have a lot of issues when they introduce new features or fix problems.
you MUST have a ps3? don't tell samsung, panasonic or sharp that.
Old 01-04-08, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You know, all my hard luck with my HD player was trying to tell me something. I had about 5 out of 7 HD-DVDs pixellate and/or freeze on my A-3. So I finally returned my A-3 for a replacement.

My replacement A-3 was to have been delivered FedEX yesterday. I was waiting at home for the delivery guy. Check my tracking number and it says "Delivered. Left at front door." Funny -- he didn't knock?!?!? I look outside -- no package. Check all floors in case he went to the wrong floor -- no package. Call FedEX -- "oh, sorry -- he delivered and left at the door of the wrong address. Sorry, driver must already have finished route for the day. It will have to be picked up from wrong address and delivered to you tomorrow".

Called this morning, all they can say is driver doesn't seem to have picked it up from the wrong address. (For all I know, someone could have stolen it from their door.) So I don't know what the heck is up with my A-3. Do I even want it now, as I only own about 12 HD DVDs right now?!?!?! BUT -- it's the only way to see "Streets of Fire" in anamorphic format!!!!!!!!!!!! Fricken' FedEX.
Old 01-04-08, 05:11 PM
Banned

I've had both since the start and while I am sad to see HD-DVD go (if nothing else to help keep prices in check), I am not shocked or panicked. I'll buy any HD-DVD exclusives of interest as long as they're released.
Old 01-04-08, 05:12 PM
Banned

You know, by that same argument, there have been quite a few homicides in my area that were all done by white guys. Can I knock all white guys now?
Old 01-04-08, 05:13 PM

I don't assume this is over. Nobody knows what will happen next.
Other studios could still switch to HD-DVD exclusive, especially ones that
haven't made the leap to HD yet at all.
Old 01-04-08, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by porieux
I don't assume this is over. Nobody knows what will happen next.
Other studios could still switch to HD-DVD exclusive, especially ones that
haven't made the leap to HD yet at all.
Optimistic but it ain't going to happen. I can't see how Universal or Paramount won't do everything in their power to switch to BR now. The only thing that will keep HD-DVD alive is if WB changed their minds a year from now, but I don't see that happening either.
Old 01-04-08, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, time to send back my (not even delivered yet) A-3 and the 20 some odd movies I bought/got with it. I will end up in total with about $391 in credit, so just about enough to buy a PS3. Only bad thing is that $391 got me an HD-DVD player and a crapload of movies, with the PS3 it will get me 6 (SM3 and the 5 rebate titles).
Old 01-04-08, 05:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Optimistic but it ain't going to happen. I can't see how Universal or Paramount won't do everything in their power to switch to BR now. The only thing that will keep HD-DVD alive is if WB changed their minds a year from now, but I don't see that happening either.
if the fans are die hard enough to boycott all wb releases, there may be something that could come out of it. but realistically..
Old 01-04-08, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
It's not really optimistic, just stating a fact that there are a lot of assumptions going around and we don't really know what will happen. I personally don't even care that much.
Old 01-04-08, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, now that it's out of my system: this sucks. When I went "red" I thought there was a chance it might be the wrong decision, but I wanted HD media, and the price of players was so attractive, so I couldn't resist. I kinda wish I didn't just buy 5 titles on BB's B3G2 sale, but it's not like they're not going to worj due to this decision by WB. I'll hold off on ALL HD DVD purchases from now on until they are drastically reduced in price. I think it's obvious this is the death knell for HD DVD and, supporter or not, I'm holding off on all hi-def purchases until they come out with a more affordable BR player.

Fuck.
DVD Talk Hero

I don't support Blu-Ray for a variety of reasons, but I was never against it.

That said, if this does indeed kill HD DVD, I will not be buying a Blu-Ray player until they can be had for $100.
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Can someone explain to me why everyone is running around going "we won! we won!" ? What, exactly, did you win? I don't quite understand...why does everyone care what format someone else bought a movie in? The panic about this is just ridiculous across the web.

I just jumped on to HD when the A2 was $98, and I don't see this as a loss. I still got 700 sd dvds that mostly I will not be re-buying, and the player will still upconvert them very well, so how exactly is it a loss? I have 8 HD movies...they're not going to suddenly disappear off my shelf. And I still plan on purchasing a PS3 or BR player somewhere down the line. Ideally, the LG dual-player would have been lovely, but budget constraints in '07 wouldn't allow for it.

This all just strikes me the same as the rampant fanboy-ism that runs around the gaming scene. Why hate one format over another? Do you hate MP3 because you like OGG that much better? Does it really matter at the end of the day? I guess people don't have anything better to do...
Old 01-04-08, 05:21 PM
Suspended

Check Mate!

Wow, i never knew about Paramount going only HD-DVD- i knew some of my Blu-ray titles were getting harder to find ( Trading Places, Coming to America, Hustle& Flow)

HD-DVD really tempted me a few times, with some of their exclusive titles, Glad i didn't cave in.

I think this is game set and match.
Old 01-04-08, 05:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
Can someone explain to me why everyone is running around going "we won! we won!" ? What, exactly, did you win? I don't quite understand...why does everyone care what format someone else bought a movie in? The panic about this is just ridiculous across the web.

I just jumped on to HD when the A2 was $98, and I don't see this as a loss. I still got 700 sd dvds that mostly I will not be re-buying, and the player will still upconvert them very well, so how exactly is it a loss? I have 8 HD movies...they're not going to suddenly disappear off my shelf. And I still plan on purchasing a PS3 or BR player somewhere down the line. Ideally, the LG dual-player would have been lovely, but budget constraints in '07 wouldn't allow for it.

This all just strikes me the same as the rampant fanboy-ism that runs around the gaming scene. Why hate one format over another? Do you hate MP3 because you like OGG that much better? Does it really matter at the end of the day? I guess people don't have anything better to do...
i'd never heard of OGG until now, thanks for teaching me something new.
Old 01-04-08, 05:25 PM

Prediction: Toshiba stops SD DVD player production and only does HD DVD

I'll still buy HD DVD titles for all, except for exclusives on BD

I supported the Atari Jaguar way past the day it was no longer supported and a lot of other formats...

This just means that my purchase of a BD player for the bedroom happens sooner.
Old 01-04-08, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts
Wow, good thing I bought Blu-Ray two days ago, and only have like 6 HD-DVDs. But hopefully the battle continues, so prices lower. Yeah, I want it both ways, what of it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.