Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Reuters/USA Today: Warner Bros. will back only Blu-ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-08, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/product...-blu-ray_N.htm

<quote>
Warner Bros. will back only Blu-ray

NEW YORK/LOS ANGELES2008-01-04 20:22:49 GMT (Reuters) (Reuters) — Time Warner's Warner Bros. studio Friday said it would exclusively release high-definition DVDs in Sony Corp's Blu-ray format, dealing a big blow to Toshiba Corp's rival HD DVD technology.

Warner Bros, Hollywood's biggest seller of DVDs, representing about 18 to 20% of sales in the United States, was one of the few studios that backed both formats.

All sides of the format war had agreed it was confusing to consumers and a stumbling block for a potential multibillion-dollar industry.

Total DVD unit sales fell 4.5% in 2007, the first major year-over-year decline since the disc format debuted in 1997, according to Adams Media Research. Sales fell 4.8% to $15.7 billion.

"The window of opportunity for high-definition DVD could be missed if format confusion continues to linger. We believe that exclusively distributing in Blu-ray will further the potential for mass market success and ultimately benefit retailers, producers, and most importantly, consumers," Warner Bros Chairman and Chief Executive Barry Meyer said in a statement.

News Corp's 20th Century Fox, Walt Disney, and Lionsgate are among studios backing the Blu-ray format. Viacom's Paramount studios and General Electric's NBC Universal release movies in HD DVD format.

Warner said it would continue releasing in the HD DVD format until the end of May, although those releases would follow the standard DVD and Blu-ray releases.

(Reporting by Kenneth Li in New York and Bob Tourtellotte in Los Angeles, editing by Gerald E. McCormick)</quote>
Old 01-04-08, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
That's all she wrote folks. Time to sell my A2 and all my discs. Glad I didn't buy alot from that recent B1G1 HD-DVD sale at amazon.
Old 01-04-08, 02:55 PM

Wow..70% of the movies are now in Blu-Ray exclusive while 30% only in HD-DVD. Ouch.
Old 01-04-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm just glad I only own 40 HD-DVD discs. That's not so bad.

I just hope WB knows what they are doing and that BD is ready to start releasing more quality product, with FULL extras and features.

Yes, I was shocked to read this. Really was hoping they'd at least stay neutral. I have nothing against Blu-Ray, but since I have only the 360 HD DVD add-on, I'm not a happy camper to read this.
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah, it's over, but I won't be selling my player or my movies, in fact, I'll wait to pick up a lot of movies when they go on super sale.
Old 01-04-08, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

At the risk of sounding like a "Blu-ray fanboy" (which I'm not, since I currently own more HD DVDs than BDs), I think it's time to quote Mace Windu.

"This party's over."
Old 01-04-08, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boom! It's over (but not for a while still).
Old 01-04-08, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sbelli
Yes, I was shocked to read this. Really was hoping they'd at least stay neutral. I have nothing against Blu-Ray, but since I have only the 360 HD DVD add-on, I'm not a happy camper to read this.
That raises an interesting question for gaming.

Now that HD-DVD is soon to be a dying format by the end of 2008, will there be a BD add-on for 360?

And will the fact that the next gen of HD media will be exclusively BD encourage game makers to put more efforts into PS3 releases?

Interesting implications throughout.
Old 01-04-08, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
I've been buying Warner's titles on Blu-ray anyway, so no dramatic change for me. Will be interesting to see how the HD DVD camp reacts, if at all.
Old 01-04-08, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk God

I will say that I do appreciate the durability of the BD disks and have not been happy with the scratches on HD-DVD. I also like how fast my PS3 is to warm up. Other than that, I much prefer the HD-DVDs.

Not looking forward to the BD prices, however.
Old 01-04-08, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Figures. Guess I'll have to wait until BR prices go down because I'm not getting another machine anytime soon.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Disappointing.
DVD Talk Reviewer

A good reason to come out of retirement and congratulate Warner Brothers for bringing this asinine war to closure.

Pro-B
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I've been buying Warner's titles on Blu-ray anyway, so no dramatic change for me. Will be interesting to see how the HD DVD camp reacts, if at all.
The ONLY thing HD-DVD can do is attempt to buy Disney / BV over to the HD-DVD camp or at least neutral. Fox and Sony ain't going anywhere. But I doubt they will.

You will see tons of big sales on HD-DVD media as the spring rolls around. I may keep my player for awhile, just until HD-DVD releases migrate over.
Old 01-04-08, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
And will the fact that the next gen of HD media will be exclusively BD encourage game makers to put more efforts into PS3 releases?
I don't think so. I think you will see a cheaper BD plaer than the PS3 4Q of 2008, and I don't think it translates over to more games selling on the PS3. But I could be wrong.
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't friggin' believe this news, having just bought an A3 within the last month and opened up a bunch of HD-DVDs ...

Originally Posted by RoboDad
At the risk of sounding like a "Blu-ray fanboy" (which I'm not, since I currently own more HD DVDs than BDs), I think it's time to quote Mace Windu.

"This party's over."
So, I guess your saying "Mission Accomplished"?

Sad day for HD-DVD and will probably lead to its demise within the next 1-2 years. BUT, that doesnt make the players obsolete or anything.

I still plan to enjoy my current hd-dvds on my duo player.
Old 01-04-08, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Horrible news for HD-DVD supporters. I'd been hoping HD-DVD would win, but now I'm glad that I held off on buying anything.

It looks like I'll be getting a Blu-Ray player sometime in the future. I'm really not looking forward to reading The Digital Bits reaction, because I assume they'll be pretty cold to the HD-DVD crowd.
Old 01-04-08, 03:09 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In the short term those who chose HD DVD will be out take a hit, but in the long term we'll all come out ahead because I think there will be more movie choices available to us.
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Poor idea for Warner, but ah well. I prefer Red over Blue but am a dual supporter so it makes no real difference to me. I like how they tout the amazingness of neutrality only to neuter it a couple months later. Does this mean New Line will be Blu only as well?

Originally Posted by Jim
In the short term those who chose HD DVD will be out take a hit, but in the long term we'll all come out ahead because I think there will be more movie choices available to us.
I'd agree, but still stand by my earlier comments that Blu costs too damn much. It'll be a while before decent improvement in numbers would start to show for it.
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mikael79
Horrible news for HD-DVD supporters. I'd been hoping HD-DVD would win, but now I'm glad that I held off on buying anything.

It looks like I'll be getting a Blu-Ray player sometime in the future. I'm really not looking forward to reading The Digital Bits reaction, because I assume they'll be pretty cold to the HD-DVD crowd.
I just read it. All Bill said is that "you can't say we didn't warn you".
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
God Damnit. First Spider-Man, and now this.
Old 01-04-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jim
Jim is a wise man.
Old 01-04-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikael79
I'm really not looking forward to reading The Digital Bits reaction, because I assume they'll be pretty cold to the HD-DVD crowd.
same here.

I'm format neutral but this announcement still smarts a bit

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.