Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Reuters/USA Today: Warner Bros. will back only Blu-ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Reuters/USA Today: Warner Bros. will back only Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-08, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TexasDVDer
I wonder if all the Amazon BOGOs (both HD-DVD and Blu-ray) have occurred because of competition? I would hate to see all the sales go away because of this announcement. I’ve been buying Blu-rays on these BOGOs when the prices are right for awhile. I won’t get a player until early next week. I’ve had the Toshiba A2 since the Wal-Mart sale.

Hopefully the consumer will not end up with higher disc prices.
B1G1's were certainly due to the war, but it's not something that could go on forever. Both sides want to make money eventually.
Old 01-04-08, 04:42 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I wonder if [banned former member] is on suicide watch. Maybe they've got him in the same ward as Britney.
Old 01-04-08, 04:43 PM
Banned

If Blu-Ray becomes the norm, then eventually their sales patterns will be just like DVDs -- initially cheapest during release week with different stores offering different prices and maybe even freebies -- then prices will gradually drop down until they need to clear room for more stock and many popular titles go into the bargain bin. They're not going to be $30 forever... unless it's at Barnes and Noble or Borders, in which case those $30 titles will be $40 forever.
Banned

Originally Posted by Deftones
So what do you think they can come up with in two days? Getting Troma to become an HD-DVD exclusive studio?
i would keep my player to see toxie in hd!
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by cinten
Since your argument makes no sense what so ever I will correct you. If I supported Blu ray right before the Paramount switch I would do the same. If I supported Blu Ray and Paramount ditched me as a customer I would return any unopened Blu Rays.
And when you support formats and not movies, you will always lose.
Old 01-04-08, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Legolas
If Blu-Ray becomes the norm, then eventually their sales patterns will be just like DVDs
Maybe so, but imo, Bluray will NEVER overtake DVD (i didnt think hd-dvd would either).

The big stores use DVDs as loss leaders to get people in the door. I do not know if they will do that for BD movies.
Old 01-04-08, 04:46 PM

Now if Universal will follow... I wasn't impressed with the quality on Paramount's BDs anyways. I shall go celebrate by watching a Warner Blu-ray!!!!!
Old 01-04-08, 04:48 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I think so, too. I am neutral, but thanks to Amazon BOGO sales I have many more Blu-Rays than HD-DVD. I think I only have about 15 HD-DVDs plus the 5 free I'm still waiting for, but they are not going anywhere. I figure by the time my HD-A35 croaks, I can repurchase all the HD-DVDs in BD. I just hope this does not spell the end for the Amazon BOGOs, I like them.
Old 01-04-08, 04:49 PM
Banned

Oh snap!
Old 01-04-08, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't understand it either, how people are not going to buy hd-dvds anymore. They player will still be working.
For me, blu ray and hd-dvd look the same, sound the same. It's just the features that are better in the hd-dvd side. Yeah, there are some really bad transfers in BD, but there are some really bad transfers in hd-dvd too.
I'll continue buying both formats, and in Warner case check all the features in both formats and choose the one I like more.
Old 01-04-08, 04:51 PM
Banned

I just bought the Toshiba A3 from Bestbuy 8 days ago. I wonder if they will take it back minus the UPC label...lol
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
At least the SD side of my combo-discs won't explode like the HD sides are going to...
Banned

Originally Posted by Raul3
I don't understand it either, how people are not going to buy hd-dvds anymore. They player will still be working.
For me, blu ray and hd-dvd look the same, sound the same. It's just the features that are better in the hd-dvd side. Yeah, there are some really bad transfers in BD, but there are some really bad transfers in hd-dvd too.
I'll continue buying both formats, and in Warner case check all the features in both formats and choose the one I like more.
i'll continue to buy them, now i have to worry about getting a blu - ray player because WB had a great lineup of movies this year. i was so excited about getting sweeny todd on hd, but i suppose i'll just have to pony up the money for a new player. it's just unfortunate, especially the timing.
Old 01-04-08, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Purged a couple of obnoxious posts.
Old 01-04-08, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DiedLaughing
Now if Universal will follow... I wasn't impressed with the quality on Paramount's BDs anyways. I shall go celebrate by watching a Warner Blu-ray!!!!!
I also wonder who's next: Universal or Dreamworks/Paramount? Paramount is supposed to be locked into HD DVD till the end of the year, but there may be an out in the contract if/when something like today happened. I think the quicker that the lossless Transformers comes out on BD, the more $ they will make. In any event, I bet Michael Bay/Spielberg/et all are happy today!
Old 01-04-08, 04:53 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Hammer99
In any event, I bet Michael Bay/Spielberg/et all are happy today!
I hope Spielberg gets off his ass and starts readying Jaws and Jurassic Park for BD releases. Stupid asshole, doesn't he understand I'm trying to throw money at him?
Old 01-04-08, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
It's about fucking time. Looks like my first Blu-Ray player will probably cost less than my first DVD player. Awesome.
Old 01-04-08, 04:54 PM
Banned

where's weinstein during all this? i still want grindhouse!
they better make an appearance tomorrow.
Old 01-04-08, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Raul3
I do not see the point in continue to buy into a dying format. Unless it's a major release exclusive to HD-DVD, I just won't do it. Sooner than later, we will all be selling our HD-DVD media and replacing them with BD, just like we did with DVD when HD and BD came out.
Old 01-04-08, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by analogue
i'll continue to buy them, now i have to worry about getting a blu - ray player because WB had a great lineup of movies this year. i was so excited about getting sweeny todd on hd, but i suppose i'll just have to pony up the money for a new player. it's just unfortunate, especially the timing.
For me, there's one movie I'd want in HD that WB offers... The Dark Knight. I am seriously considering getting a BR this year, it's between a PS3 or a dual player.
Old 01-04-08, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

why would Universal go to BD? aren't they like Fox and Sony with Blu-Ray?

Also, what about the rest of the world? how is this going to affect?
I think in Europe is more like 50-50, at least in sales, of course we are talking they sell 10K discs(both formats) a month
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
How much are dual players now anyway? How are the quality, and does the different BR profiles affect them?
Banned

saw this posted on the hidefdigest forums, and i think this guy speaks for many.

"Great, now ALL of my entertainment dollars will support Sony if I buy BD. As if CD, multiple Hollywood movie studio ownership, PCs, gaming systems and home theater gear wasn't enough, you can't escape supporting this shithole company if you want any entertainment.

The lesser, incomplete and buggy format will win out now. Hooray?"
Old 01-04-08, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I do not see the point in continue to buy into a dying format. Unless it's a major release exclusive to HD-DVD, I just won't do it. Sooner than later, we will all be selling our HD-DVD media and replacing them with BD, just like we did with DVD when HD and BD came out.
But...

- They won't stop working, after BD is the only format.
- They look/sound the same as BD.

Or you just don't want to have 2 players in your home theater?
Old 01-04-08, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This really sucks. Thankfully I only own a handful of HD-DVDs, and watch most of them from Netflix, so I'm not too peeved. I was planning on going format neutral eventually anyway. At least this means we should be seeing some good player sales sooner or later.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.