Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

HD DVD/Blu-ray release calendar: Part 2

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

HD DVD/Blu-ray release calendar: Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DVDEmpire added the follwoing Magnolia Blu-Ray titles for preorder, all coming on 10/31:

Bubble
Enron: The Smartest Guys In The Room
One Last Thing
The War Within
Bikini Destination: Triple Fantasy
HDNet World Report Special: Shuttle Discovery's Historic Mission
Old 10-12-06, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
What is it with these combos? It doesn't make any sense to me still. If I'm not buying an HD-DVD player until 2008, why do I want a HD disc now? I could see them releasing two discs: the BD and HD DVD combo, but BD, HD DVD/DVD and DVD?
The logic behind these is that the studio thinks you might want a standard copy of the movie should you travel and have a portable player (Since there are no HD portables yet). It has little to do with customers they are hoping "might" buy an HD player down the road. Either way, I agree it's a pretty lame idea...the only GOOD use for them is if the format itself dies -- then at least you'll have a standard version.
Old 10-12-06, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The logic behind these is that the studio thinks you might want a standard copy of the movie should you travel and have a portable player (Since there are no HD portables yet). It has little to do with customers they are hoping "might" buy an HD player down the road. Either way, I agree it's a pretty lame idea...the only GOOD use for them is if the format itself dies -- then at least you'll have a standard version.
Also the fact that plenty of people have multiple DVD players in their home, but the same can't be said for HD DVD players....yet. I can see how it could be useful, but I just hate having to pay $5 extra for every combo title.
Old 10-12-06, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually like the idea of the combo for the portability factor, since I won't be able to enjoy any of the newer releases on the road for a while now. Plus, so many rooms in my house have TV/DVD's it would be nice to play it in those as well. Unless, of course, I want to buy a $3000 laptop or spend the same for an eventual portable player.
Old 10-12-06, 11:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by matome
I actually like the idea of the combo for the portability factor, since I won't be able to enjoy any of the newer releases on the road for a while now. Plus, so many rooms in my house have TV/DVD's it would be nice to play it in those as well. Unless, of course, I want to buy a $3000 laptop or spend the same for an eventual portable player.
Unfortunately, you don't have an HD DVD player.
Old 10-12-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Tis true, I was just hoping that Blu-ray would do something like that. I don't think $5 is too bad to pay for that convenience.
Old 10-12-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by flashburn
Also the fact that plenty of people have multiple DVD players in their home, but the same can't be said for HD DVD players....yet. I can see how it could be useful, but I just hate having to pay $5 extra for every combo title.
I'm pretty much in the same boat. I like the idea of combos (because you can play them in other rooms, the car, whatever). I actually don't mind the extra $5 or whatever, since I have the existing DVD usually anyway and can just trade it in to recoup that cost.

What gets me is the inconsistency of it. I see no pattern to how Universal (for example) is putting these things out. Either do it, or don't.

I pay a premium for, say, Fast Times at Ridgemont High... but I don't for The Thing? Makes no sense.

Ultimately, I'm ambivalent. The extra few bucks won't kill me, but it's not a feature I'd use often, so I wouldn't mind if it went away. The main benefit (for me) would be for titles that my wife loves or that are good family/children films. Those would definitely benefit from not being locked to my only HD display.
Old 10-12-06, 11:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by matome
Tis true, I was just hoping that Blu-ray would do something like that. I don't think $5 is too bad to pay for that convenience.
Blu-Ray can't. They're not allowed.
Old 10-12-06, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Excaliber, V for Vendetta, and Under Siege covers are up on themanroom.com. V is the same cover that was shown in Berlin a while back.
Old 10-12-06, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bboisvert
...Ultimately, I'm ambivalent. The extra few bucks won't kill me, but it's not a feature I'd use often, so I wouldn't mind if it went away. The main benefit (for me) would be for titles that my wife loves or that are good family/children films. Those would definitely benefit from not being locked to my only HD display.
[Rant] I'm not ambivalent: I want nothing to do with combos! Paying an "extra few bucks" adds up and I am trying to keep my costs down. I'm already paying about triple for HD DVDs versus what I paid for DVDs ($18 vs. $6).

Yes, I'd buy them if they were the same price as regular HD DVDs, but I wouldn't like it: I'd rather have the artwork on the top of the disc. But this business of trying to force us to buy a combo, when all most of us want is HD DVD, really annoys me.

So far I don't have a single one and have no plans to buy any in the future.

We spend so much time discussing relative player costs and tend to ignore the fact that many (most?) of us have spent far more on DVDs than we have on DVD players. The same will be true for HD DVD/BD.

The studios ought to release both combo and HD DVD only versions and let us vote with our wallets. I think that would set them straight in short order. [/Rant]

Last edited by lizard; 10-12-06 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-12-06, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by darkside
What a day. I took the advice of emailing Amazon about my HD DVDs taking so long to ship yesterday. I get a response late yesterday that the reason they take so long is because I'm using super saver shipping. They are the lowest priority and get shipped out of the warehouse last.
That's the exact same response I got.

Funny, I've been using Super Saver Shipping for a loooong time and have never had any issues with the actual shipping times. Delivery times take a bit longer, but the titles have always shipped out promptly. Now they're telling me that my 10/10 releases won't ship out until 10/15 and that is 'normal' for this method. Strange.

And I've yet to have any issues with a Super Saver order that contained no HD DVDs.

And, as you mention, I've also had shipping issues with HD DVD orders while using the Prime trial.

The issue is clearly with HD DVDs. But they choose to ignore it and blame the cheap shipping method. Nice.
Old 10-12-06, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
My guess would be that unlike regualr DVD's that likely are stocked in regional distro centers, the HD discs are probably coming from the same center for all orders. That would definitely slow it down. They may also be taking better inventory contorl measures with these discs to ensure accurate sales data.
Old 10-12-06, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

BTW, stupid question, but how does one know a Blu-Ray disc has MPEG2 or VC-1? Is it mentioned on the case?
Old 10-12-06, 05:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I believe you'll need to put it into a BD drive on a PC to find that information out.
Old 10-12-06, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I believe you'll need to put it into a BD drive on a PC to find that information out.
Or wait for reviews.
Old 10-12-06, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ahh OK. I was just wondering how they determine that for the reviews since Josh obviously seems to know.
Old 10-12-06, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Ahh OK. I was just wondering how they determine that for the reviews since Josh obviously seems to know.
The studio press release that officially announces the disc will usually include the specs. If not there, I wait for somone on AVS to check it in their PC BD-drive.
Old 10-12-06, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Am I the only person that has yet to find this weeks WB releases at the local Best Buy?
Old 10-12-06, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bboisvert
That's the exact same response I got.

Funny, I've been using Super Saver Shipping for a loooong time and have never had any issues with the actual shipping times. Delivery times take a bit longer, but the titles have always shipped out promptly. Now they're telling me that my 10/10 releases won't ship out until 10/15 and that is 'normal' for this method. Strange.

And I've yet to have any issues with a Super Saver order that contained no HD DVDs.

And, as you mention, I've also had shipping issues with HD DVD orders while using the Prime trial.

The issue is clearly with HD DVDs. But they choose to ignore it and blame the cheap shipping method. Nice.
I emailed them again and kind of made a point about the fact my regular DVDs have no delays with super saver. I also made me feelings pretty well known that I didn't appreciate them changing my shipping and charging me for it without asking. I again asked why this is only happening with HD DVDs.

I doubt I will get an answer, but maybe if we beat them up enough they will fix these shipping issues.
Old 10-14-06, 04:06 PM

For anyone interested, V is up for pre-order at Amazon and 10% off is working.

I haven't seen this one yet but it was recommended to me so it'll get a 'blind buy'.
Old 10-14-06, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by fataldog187
For anyone interested, V is up for pre-order at Amazon and 10% off is working.
Great! Thanks for the info.
Old 10-14-06, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts
Great news about V.

I'm really looking forward to this: http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Video-...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd
But I find it odd that there is no mention of it at http://www.videoessentials.com Do you suppose they finally fixed the audio errors?
Old 10-15-06, 02:05 PM
Banned

V is #1 HD DVD on Amazon and #50 overall. WOW!!!!
Old 10-15-06, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
V is #1 HD DVD on Amazon and #50 overall. WOW!!!!
Now #43
Old 10-16-06, 01:56 AM

Under Siege HD DVD is now up for pre-order on Amazon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.