Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

HD/Blu-Ray Talks Break Down :( Blu-Ray wins? [merged]

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

HD/Blu-Ray Talks Break Down :( Blu-Ray wins? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-05, 11:33 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
They're lucky and in a position where they don't have to. If it was reversed, and HD-DVD was getting the lead, Sony would be out their buying support just like MS is now.

Big companies do whatever it takes to win. What's so hard to understand? And it's not negative.

I have nothing against sony. Hell I currently own a PS2, a Sony TV a Sony surround sound receiver and speaker system, a sony DVD player, a Sony CD play and a Sony Discman. And likewise I also own an X-box, use Windows XP and Microsoft Office every day.

They're both big companies doing what it takes to make the most money possible, Sony has the advantage in the high def DVD arena, so MS is more desperate and doing more to catch up. Nothing wrong with that, and nothing that Sony wouldn't be trying to do if in their shoes.
So you're argument is, that you assume Sony would react the same way, even though they currently are not, nor have they in the past with previous media formats. Hell of a convincing argument you're making there.

If we could please leave the assumptions behind, and stick with the facts, CES starts in just over a week and Sony is going to officially announce Blu-Ray. Is there any similar conference going on at either CES or at another venue?
Old 12-30-05, 11:34 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by awmurray
Another example, is the blatant copyright/license infringement against Sun with Java/J2EE which Microsoft (again) illegally stole/modified. They created a proprietary product(s) out of it and called it stuff like "J sharp" and "C sharp". The stolen J2EE became .NET. So Java/J2EE illegally became C#/.NET. The price to Microsoft? A paltry $20 million settlement. Now they can compete with Sun for a measly $20 million investment. Again stifling innovation. Always tying everything so it only runs on Windows.

Microsoft is 100% dedicated to destroy anything Java related because code written in Java is not OS specific and therefore doesn't have to run on Windows.
When did this become slashdot?

I guess you don't realize that .NET code is not OS specific.

It also sounds like you don't know how .NET works. I could be wrong but with the crazy stuff you're saying, who knows.
Old 12-30-05, 11:35 AM
Retired

It's a fair assumption as all big companies go to any length to make a profit.

And sony has shown themselves more than willing to fuck over consumers in the process with the DRM on their latest CDs.

One's just as bad as the other, and the assumption is by no means a stretch for most reasonble people.
Old 12-30-05, 02:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
It's a fair assumption as all big companies go to any length to make a profit.

And sony has shown themselves more than willing to fuck over consumers in the process with the DRM on their latest CDs.

One's just as bad as the other, and the assumption is by no means a stretch for most reasonble people.

So I guess Microsoft has just been unlucky when they get fined for unfair business practices and monopolistic activity. Over and over.

And Sony BGM is not the same operation as Sony Computer Entertainment or Sony Electronics.
Old 12-30-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chemosh6969
When did this become slashdot?

I guess you don't realize that .NET code is not OS specific.

It also sounds like you don't know how .NET works. I could be wrong but with the crazy stuff you're saying, who knows.
I'm not aware of a CLR that runs on any UNIX platform.... or for that matter, any non Windows platform... For that matter, why would anyone want to? If they did, they'd just wind up with Java. Re-inventing the wheel.

From The Code Project:

JVM is available for most of the platforms (hence your Java program is really platform independent); while CLR (at the time of writing of this article) is only available for Microsoft Windows platforms (hence a .NET program is not really platform independent, it only promises to be platform independent). Microsoft has not unveiled any future program to develop CLR for other platforms; though it is inevitable that third parties would come up with CLRs for non-Microsoft platforms.

Last edited by awmurray; 12-30-05 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-30-05, 03:51 PM
Banned

I'm not aware of a CLR that runs on any UNIX platform.... or for that matter, any non Windows platform... For that matter, why would anyone want to? If they did, they'd just wind up with Java. Re-inventing the wheel.
Basically.

Microsoft basically set it up but wants us to make the final step.

The main thing I like about .NET is being able to have different people use different programming languages on the same project. I haven't had that experience yet but if it was ever needed it would be nice.

I took a class that was basically a class on how .NET works on the inside and some command line type programming along with making web programs like services. The last week was making GUI which was fine with me because who needs to spend a lot of time on that.

That was the most useful programming class I had ever taken since we learned a lot about what it is and what it can do instead of going off of some book like Learn Programming in 24 Hours like other classes.

I remeber in one of my other classes we were talking about .NET and since I took that other class, I was a little more familiar with the insides than the teacher was. I mentioned that there was some group trying to get Perl up and running with .NET and this guy in the class went insane for the next few weeks in class on how it wasn't possible and he called Microsoft last night and some other large software developers and they confirmed what he was talking about.

Those were the days.
Old 12-30-05, 04:01 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by fumanstan
... but considering the poster, it kind of figures.

Originally Posted by joshd2012
I would say I'm disappointed, but these meaningless posts have become your calling card as of late, have they not? Why not try to add to the conversation instead following Hinkle like a lemming? Taking a dig at me shows nothing except your ignorance of the situation at hand.

Guys, I'd suggest that you keep the comments directed at the topic and drop the digs at each other.
Old 12-30-05, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So by your logic, Sony should be hated since their software (either Columbia or SCE) will only run on their system, BR or PSx.

Believe me Sony is no angel and neither is Microsoft.
Old 12-31-05, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is anyone posting in this thread whose name isn't Josh?
Old 01-01-06, 10:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sony might not be angels, but they're not from the same level of hell as Microsoft.
There worse. As Josh said, just look at their latest DRM issues. Not to mention every piece of Sony hardware I've ever owned was a poorly made piece of crap.

I've sworn Sony off for good, except for their DVDs. I only buy those out of a necessity to own those particular films.

Kind of funny since I'd prefer Blu-Ray win. Either way, when I do buy a hi-def DVD player, it won't be a Sony brand.

As for Microsoft, I would have ditched them a long time ago. But I do not like Linux and Macs are too expensive for my tastes. That said, I don't use Windows Media Player or Internet Explorer. I use Firefox instead and I used media players such as Media Player Classic, Zoom Player, and BSPlayer.
Old 01-01-06, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

[QUOTE=Terrell] Not to mention every piece of Sony hardware I've ever owned was a poorly made piece of crap.[QUOTE]

Well, the "hardware" that I've bought from Sony has been quite good, particularly the TVs...and the picture quality has been second to none.
Old 01-01-06, 11:54 AM
Premium Member

Received 718 Likes on 476 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrell
Not to mention every piece of Sony hardware I've ever owned was a poorly made piece of crap.
You are probably in the minority on this; and a very small minority.

Originally Posted by Terrell
As for Microsoft, I would have ditched them a long time ago. But I do not like Linux and Macs are too expensive for my tastes. That said, I don't use Windows Media Player or Internet Explorer. I use Firefox instead and I used media players such as Media Player Classic, Zoom Player, and BSPlayer.
Stick it to the man (oops, you didn't)!
Old 01-01-06, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by The Cow
You are probably in the minority on this; and a very small minority.
Hardly. Go to any hardware forum and look for posts on Sony. In pretty much any product category, their merchandise is notorious for breaking down shortly after the warranty expires, as if specifically engineered for that purpose.

Once upon a time, decades ago, Sony was renowned for high quality Japanese electronics. But around the late 80s/early 90s the company went through a major shift in direction and is now equated with high prices and mediocre quality.

Sony is the Bose of anything that Bose doesn't do.

Last edited by Josh Z; 01-01-06 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-01-06, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by DavidH

Well, the "hardware" that I've bought from Sony has been quite good, particularly the TVs...and the picture quality has been second to none.

I only buy Denon and Sony for the most part and my Sony gear has been problem free, some for years. Two of my three HD sets are Sony and as usual, blow away the PQ of other brands I've tried. My new Wega numbs the mind.
Old 01-01-06, 07:44 PM
Retired

The only sony items I've had problems with were a discman several years back that crapped out after a couple years, and a boombox I bought last year that stopped playing cds after 6 months.

Other than that I've been very pleased with my Wega TV, receiver, speakers, newer discman etc.

I just don't think they're by anymeans an angel corporation, nor any better than MS. Just a typical big company only out for their bottomline.
Old 01-01-06, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeesh. At least try to make seem like you know what the hell you're talking about. .NET has *nothing* like the stupidity that is J2EE. ASP.NET is *nothing* like the junk that is JSP. And do you really think that a .NET remote component resembles anything like an EJB? Do you even know what an EJB is?

Fuck, if you're stupid enough to think that C# is a ripoff of Java, maybe the C++ consortium should sue Java for ripping them off! LOL.

And there's the Mono project. I'll let you look that up. Maybe you know how to use Google.

Mod Note: Take your tone down a notch, thanks

Last edited by Gallant Pig; 01-02-06 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-02-06, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shazam
Yeesh. At least try to make seem like you know what the hell you're talking about.
You need to follow your own advice. If you knew how to use google, you could verify everything I've said:

From CNET News concerning how C# was illegally modified from Java:

Originally Posted by CNET
Microsoft is advocating its own Java-like language, C# (pronounced "C-sharp"), for the task. Analysts say C# offers many features similar to Java.

Though Microsoft may clone Java, it won't be allowed to say its products are Java-compatible.
.NET has *nothing* like the stupidity that is J2EE. ASP.NET is *nothing* like the junk that is JSP.
Not true. The two are very similar because Microshaft stole it and modified it. Dot-NET is the answer/clone to J2EE. C# is the answer/clone to Java. ASP is the answer/clone to JSP.

I worked on a major project at Glaxo last year. They used Java/J2EE for one part and C#/.NET for the other side. I've used both, so I do know what I'm talking about.

They even had to buy me a C#/.NET Developer Kit so I could prototype some things. It cost them $1,800. My Java/J2EE Developer Kit cost them $0.

And do you really think that a .NET remote component resembles anything like an EJB? Do you even know what an EJB is?
Well I've been in the business for 15 years as a consultant so I deal with this stuff all the time. I battle the Microsoft borg for their competitors. I have worked/battled with them behind the scenes in standards committees. And I have worked on the internal code of the EJB engine for a major commercial J2EE Application Server (one of the big 2). I have also worked on the internal code for the JSP/Servlet Container on the same product.

Fuck, if you're stupid enough to think that C# is a ripoff of Java, maybe the C++ consortium should sue Java for ripping them off! LOL.
Read the above. It is a ripoff of Java. And I think I do know "what the fuck" I'm talking about. DO you?

I don't come to your job and knock the broom out of your hand do I?

Originally Posted by moderator
Mod Note: Take your tone down a notch, thanks
Thanks, mod.
Old 01-02-06, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Hardly. Go to any hardware forum and look for posts on Sony. In pretty much any product category, their merchandise is notorious for breaking down shortly after the warranty expires, as if specifically engineered for that purpose.

Once upon a time, decades ago, Sony was renowned for high quality Japanese electronics. But around the late 80s/early 90s the company went through a major shift in direction and is now equated with high prices and mediocre quality.

Josh,

You can find the same number of complaints for other companies as well on any Internet forum.

Also, please show me the evidence that their merchandise is specifically designed to break down shortly after warranty expires. I and people I have known have owned MANY Sony products for a number of years. The quality has been just as good as any other manufacturer. And the performance, particularly with video (TVs in particular) have been outstanding. Talk to any well qualified ISF tech who have vast experience calibrating TVs and they will tell you good well Sonys perform. The Wegas - CRTs and SXRD - are the best in their respective price class.

I get the feeling Sony is being largely attacked for, in fact, manufacturing a large number of high performing products, and the fact they are large and have been successful over the years. It's quite interesting how people on this forum love to bash large, successful companies (MicroSoft comes to mind). I suspect in many cases it has to do with certain political leanings or philosophies.
Old 01-02-06, 09:16 PM
Banned

awmurray, what's so bad about C#? Is it just because it's from Micro$oft?

It's like a combination of C and C++ with some Java features built into it.

I'm all for the advancement in programming languages and I don't care who makes the product if it makes it easier to get my stuff done.
Old 01-02-06, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
Sony's greatest hits:

* paying radio stations to play their music.
* putting viruses on CDs.
* removing the widescreen side on DVDs clearly labeled as including one.
* removing entire scenes from TV seasons labeled as "COMPLETE".
Yea right, because we all know only Sony does all the above.

I havn't had any complaints with any of my Sony gear.
Old 01-03-06, 07:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh Z

Why is it then, if you go to the highly respected AVS Forum, they continually praise Sony products? Why is that the resently released SXRD projector being considered the best projector on the market? Why is it that Sony continually leads in the digital camera market?

A better question, why are you bashing Sony?
Old 01-03-06, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Never had a problem with my Sony DVD players (one is six years old the other, four) and they have had HEAVY usage over the years. Same with my Playstations and Cybershot cameras.
Old 01-03-06, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chemosh6969
awmurray, what's so bad about C#? Is it just because it's from Micro$oft?

It's like a combination of C and C++ with some Java features built into it.

I'm all for the advancement in programming languages and I don't care who makes the product if it makes it easier to get my stuff done.
The problem I have with it is that it's a clone of Java. Microsoft has a history of "borrowing" other people's innovations, modifying it, calling it their own and using it's monopolistic power to force it on people. If you use C#, you're going to be running on a server running some form Microsoft OS and server software. That is why C# was invented-- so you'd be tied to MS Windows.

For example, the project I'm on now is a programming API used by other developers. It is designed such that the spec can be implemented using any technology you care to. The implmentation that has been developed uses Java. And therefore it has been ported to handheld PCs already (a design requirement). Now, if C#/.NET were the implementation choice, it would not run on the handheld PCs or any of the UNIX platforms (another design requirement). You would be tied to using MS Windows and Internet Explorer which is what they want.

I just don't want to see the same thing happen to HD-DVD or whatever the next generation of home media format is.

It is interesting that Blu-Ray uses Java and that MS wants to get rid of that. They've been trying to for years. They DON'T want a platform independent language. They want people to use Windows only.

I've been coding long enough to remember the days that Microsoft was giving competing developers hobbled developer DLLs to code to. This made sure that competing products to MS Word, MS Excel and others would perform slower because the DLLs were written inefficiently on purpose.

They are not interested in fair competition. It would have been nice if the FTC had split MS into an OS company and the "other software" company to remove this tight coupling. Then they couldn't have stomped on Netscape and forced a browser on the public that -again- only runs on Windows. There are many other examples.

EDIT: Wanted to add that I'm not partial to either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. I'm watching the developments, but I don't actually want one side or the other to win at this point. But it was alarming to hear that Microsoft might have ulterior motives to supporting HD-DVD and may be using their clout-- possibly illegally (again)-- to influence the outcome. That's what I'm concerned about.

Interestingly, the Java vs C# example was only one of the examples I gave regarding how MS illegally uses their power to influence the market.

Last edited by awmurray; 01-03-06 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-03-06, 08:39 AM
Banned

Although I'm not Sony's biggest fan, I'm not entirely sure why. My parents have had the same Sony big screen TV since I was in high school and it still works great. Doesn't LOOK great by today's standards but...still works. And I had a Wega for a few years and it gave me a GREAT picture.

I think I used to hate their portable CD players because they broke all the time. Everything else works great though.
Old 01-03-06, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Adam Tyner over at AVS found something iteresting. Hd-dvd titles are starting to show up on the amazon.com. Earliest titles make it look like a March Launch. Among them:

Aeon Flux (6/6/06)
Braveheart (10/31/06)
Four Brothers (4/11/06)
The Italian Job (4/4/06)
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (4/11/06)
The Manchurian Candidate (6/6/06)
Sahara (5/9/06)
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (3/14/06)
U2 - Rattle & Hum (3/28/06)
The Ultimate Star Trek Movie Collection (11/7/06)
We Were Soldiers (5/23/06)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.