Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

HD/Blu-Ray Talks Break Down :( Blu-Ray wins? [merged]

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

HD/Blu-Ray Talks Break Down :( Blu-Ray wins? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-05, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
Not true. There is still the issue of frame rate. I'm not sure what Blu-Ray or HD-DVD will do, but broadcast HD in Europe still uses 50hz like PAL, while the US has 60hz like NTSC.
Surely new HD TVs will have no problem handling both? That way, depending on whether something was filmed at 24fps or 25fps, the Blu-Ray or HD-DVD disc would be able to playback at the correct speed.
Old 12-28-05, 02:17 PM
Banned

Sure will be interesting when people in other PAL countries watch DVD's. They're going to think everything sounds slow
Old 12-28-05, 02:31 PM

I bet the majority of them won't even notice the difference .
Old 12-28-05, 02:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deus
I bet the majority of them won't even notice the difference .
OK...let me know
Old 12-28-05, 03:29 PM
Banned

http://www.pioneer.co.jp/press/release159.html

NOICE.
Old 12-29-05, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SINGLE104
Not necessarily! It will be a vast sound improvement overall, for the Home Theater market and for audiophiles who are equipped with compatible 7.1 digital receivers, with a pair of surround back speakers to gain full benefit from the extra discrete channel. I am one of those audiophiles! . Dolby Lab will introduce their upcoming versions of the 7.1, and HD audio formats as well.

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/techno...ital_plus.html

http://www.dolby.com/promo/HD/trueHD.html
I think you misunderstood me, I'm all for improved sound performance etc. what I was talking about is the way they are wording it, DTS-HD extra super master audio etc... too long, keep it short and to the point. "DTS-HD" does just that. Is their logo gonna have "master audio" in it? I think aesthetically DTS-HD would be sufficient IMO.
Old 12-29-05, 08:43 AM
Banned

A great article on how Microsoft is trying to use their monopolistic control over the PC market to prevent a high definition optical storage:

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/s...leID=175400242

It seems that Microsoft has promised "coupons" to PC manufacturers for every PC they sell with a HD-DVD drive in it. It also appears that they don't want HD-DVD to win the war, just prevent a winner long enough for Microsoft to get their own solution out there.

Microsoft: Always working with the consumer in mind.
Old 12-29-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by joshd2012
A great article on how Microsoft is trying to use their monopolistic control over the PC market to prevent a high definition optical storage:

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/s...leID=175400242
Yes, this sounds like some kind of DIVX or VOD scheme:

Rather, the company envisions HD-DVD players tied to the network via subscription services. In essence, said a longtime Microsoft observer, by leveraging its .Net strategy, Microsoft "wants to become the telephone company of the living room."
Wow, this has all the things I love rolled right up in one:
  • Microsoft
  • Subscription service
  • PPV
  • DIVX
  • The Telephone Company
So Microsoft illegally steals Java/J2EE, bastardizes it into a proprietary solution called C#/.NET, pays Sun $20 million in a copyright infringement settlement then uses this stolen technology to try to foist a PPV system on everyone and become "the telephone company of the living room.".
Old 12-29-05, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Microsoft: Always working with the consumer in mind.
Unlike Sony, right?
Old 12-29-05, 10:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sracer
Unlike Sony, right?
As a consumer who wants HiDef movies, I see Sony pushing strongly to get this product to consumers and Microsoft doing everything to slow it down. I never said Sony was an angel, but come on, are you seriously going to take the stance that Sony has a similar market pull to Microsoft?
Old 12-29-05, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
As a consumer who wants HiDef movies, I see Sony pushing strongly to get this product to consumers and Microsoft doing everything to slow it down. I never said Sony was an angel, but come on, are you seriously going to take the stance that Sony has a similar market pull to Microsoft?
In consumer entertainment space... Yes. Sony has the muscle and resources to push through proprietary media formats. Sony also has its hooks into the key ingredient to making a format successful... content. Microsoft doesn't have that kind of pull. The only thing that MS can do is to leverage their dominance in the PC arena. But for some reason, you think that it is honorable for Sony to push Blu-Ray but dishonorable for MS to push HD. Each side is leveraging their strengths to see their interests succeed. Let's not let anti-MS sentiment cloud reality.

Sony is pushing strongly to get this product to consumers simply for money and not for some humanitarian reason. And Sony has proven that it is willing to go to any length possible to implement undefeatable DRM.
Old 12-29-05, 12:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sracer
In consumer entertainment space... Yes. Sony has the muscle and resources to push through proprietary media formats. Sony also has its hooks into the key ingredient to making a format successful... content. Microsoft doesn't have that kind of pull. The only thing that MS can do is to leverage their dominance in the PC arena. But for some reason, you think that it is honorable for Sony to push Blu-Ray but dishonorable for MS to push HD. Each side is leveraging their strengths to see their interests succeed. Let's not let anti-MS sentiment cloud reality.

Sony is pushing strongly to get this product to consumers simply for money and not for some humanitarian reason. And Sony has proven that it is willing to go to any length possible to implement undefeatable DRM.
I won't ever believe that Sony has as much muscle as you suggest. MiniDisc pretty much failed (at least here in the US). I expect Sony to push the technology that they produced! You can't criticize them because they are trying to sell what they have already invested heavily in. On the other hand, you have Microsoft - who don't have the media to put on these discs nor the processes to manufacture the hardware - heavily supporting HD-DVD because its either not Sony or to slow down the acceptance of high definition movies by the public. You can't see a difference there?
Old 12-29-05, 01:36 PM
Retired

They're both pushing they're format to make money. End of story. Neither is doing anything wrong or unexpected from big corporations.

You're just seeing things through your Sony blinders as usual.
Old 12-29-05, 05:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
They're both pushing they're format to make money. End of story. Neither is doing anything wrong or unexpected from big corporations.

Whatever you say Josh
Old 12-29-05, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll not pro Sony or Microsoft at all. Just want to see a product come to market asap. I'll buy the best one.

That said, Microsoft is skirting close to another Netscape like situation by forcing other vendors away from Blu-Ray. Even HP, who just decided to back them, admitted it in public. Same tactics, same company, same old story.

The question still stands as to why Toshiba has pushed back their launch twice. AACS holdup has been the main reason given to the press, which is true of course, but a lot of word is out there that Toshiba is having all kinds of problems getting the hardware to work. That would explain why the setup they had Cedia was having problems and kept shutting off/rebooting itself. Pretty sad given that HD-dvd was touted as being an easy upgrade from dvd. Then again, maybe they are having problems b/c most of the big CE companies are working with Sony.

I really don't think MS gives a damn about either HD-dvd or BR. If they did they would have worked towards getting HD-dvd in the X-box and AACS settled faster. The fact that they waitied so long to jump in the crowd makes me think they are just in it for concessions. MS wants iHD in and Java out.

Last edited by DthRdrX; 12-29-05 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-29-05, 08:41 PM
Retired

I agree. But still, MS is just doing what ever they can to try to make themselve the most money, and Sony is doing the same.

Sony just happens to be in a better position, and one that is more beneficial to consumers who want high def dvd movies available in a unified format as fast as possible.

But I still see it as too big corporations just trying to maximize profits. Probably easier for me to see it that way since I don't give two shits about high def dvds right now though.
Old 12-29-05, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I agree. But still, MS is just doing what ever they can to try to make themselve the most money, and Sony is doing the same.

Sony just happens to be in a better position, and one that is more beneficial to consumers who want high def dvd movies available in a unified format as fast as possible.

But I still see it as too big corporations just trying to maximize profits. Probably easier for me to see it that way since I don't give two shits about high def dvds right now though.
That's pretty much my thoughts as well. Criticizing Microsoft and turning a blind eye to Sony seems silly, but considering the poster, it kind of figures.

Last edited by fumanstan; 12-29-05 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-29-05, 09:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fumanstan
That's pretty much my thoughts as well. Criticizing Microsoft and turning a blind eye to Sony seems silly, but considering the poster, it kind of figures.
Yes, because EE Times has always been known for being in the back pocket of Sony.

I would say I'm disappointed, but these meaningless posts have become your calling card as of late, have they not? Why not try to add to the conversation instead following Hinkle like a lemming? Taking a dig at me shows nothing except your ignorance of the situation at hand.
Old 12-29-05, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes, because EE Times has always been known for being in the back pocket of Sony.

I would say I'm disappointed, but these meaningless posts have become your calling card as of late, have they not? Why not try to add to the conversation instead following Hinkle like a lemming? Taking a dig at me shows nothing except your ignorance of the situation at hand.
I'm not really interested in getting into a war of personal attacks with you. I simply don't appreciate your attitude towards what was intended to be a harmless post to begin with in the other thread, and your tendency to post in a way that belittles others. Your post here seems to support that assessment. I'm willing to bet you haven't noticed one other post from me, so no, I don't have a calling card, but the swipe back was deserved so I'll take it.

I don't see anything wrong with agreeing with Hinkle. I too, have little interest beyond the current DVD technology at this time, but being primairly a PC guy, the actions of Microsoft in these situations are newsworthy to me, and I read that particular news bit before I checked out this thread. Especially since I'm interested in figuring out what will be in my PC this time next year. Sorry for not adding a more personal twist like your post a couple posts up

Last edited by fumanstan; 12-29-05 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-30-05, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
That said, Microsoft is skirting close to another Netscape like situation by forcing other vendors away from Blu-Ray. Even HP, who just decided to back them, admitted it in public. Same tactics, same company, same old story.
This is true, but Microsoft doesn't give a shit because they can throw around their monopolistic power illegally and get away with it. I was hoping the FTC would break Microsoft into 2 separate companies while they had the chance. They stifle all sorts of innovation...

The Netscape thing is one example... they just destroy something then pay a paltry fine for their illegal activities.

Another example, is the blatant copyright/license infringement against Sun with Java/J2EE which Microsoft (again) illegally stole/modified. They created a proprietary product(s) out of it and called it stuff like "J sharp" and "C sharp". The stolen J2EE became .NET. So Java/J2EE illegally became C#/.NET. The price to Microsoft? A paltry $20 million settlement. Now they can compete with Sun for a measly $20 million investment. Again stifling innovation. Always tying everything so it only runs on Windows.

Another example is the whole anti-trust lawsuit that Micrsoft lost against the EU.

It sounds like something similar may be going on with HD-DVD and Microsoft.

That would explain why the setup they had Cedia was having problems and kept shutting off/rebooting itself.
Hmmm. It sounds like they're running Windows.

MS wants iHD in and Java out.
That's exactly what they want. Microsoft is constantly trying to remove support for Java from Windows, etc.. Once they steal something they have to destroy the original. Microsoft is 100% dedicated to destroy anything Java related because code written in Java is not OS specific and therefore doesn't have to run on Windows.

Don't think for a second that Microsoft doesn't want to become the "telephone company for the living room".

Sony might not be angels, but they're not from the same level of hell as Microsoft.
Old 12-30-05, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by awmurray
Sony might not be angels, but they're not from the same level of hell as Microsoft.
The recent DRM issues with Sony CDs would say otherwise.
Old 12-30-05, 10:39 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The recent DRM issues with Sony CDs would say otherwise.
Exactly.

And Sony wants just as badly to be the "telephone company of the living room."

Both companies eventually want to have a settop box that plays their games, hd movies, has tivo features etc.

And both will do anything to get to that point and beat the other.
Old 12-30-05, 10:42 AM
Banned

I wasn't aware that Sony was out there buying support for Blu-Ray. Please, enlighten me.
Old 12-30-05, 11:08 AM
Retired

They're lucky and in a position where they don't have to. If it was reversed, and HD-DVD was getting the lead, Sony would be out their buying support just like MS is now.

Big companies do whatever it takes to win. What's so hard to understand? And it's not negative.

I have nothing against sony. Hell I currently own a PS2, a Sony TV a Sony surround sound receiver and speaker system, a sony DVD player, a Sony CD play and a Sony Discman. And likewise I also own an X-box, use Windows XP and Microsoft Office every day.

They're both big companies doing what it takes to make the most money possible, Sony has the advantage in the high def DVD arena, so MS is more desperate and doing more to catch up. Nothing wrong with that, and nothing that Sony wouldn't be trying to do if in their shoes.
Old 12-30-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm surprised Michael Moore hasn't made a movie about MS yet.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.