Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Why is this sig being allowed in the forum?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Why is this sig being allowed in the forum?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-18, 10:27 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: Why is this sig being allowed in the forum?

What the heck did he specifically do? Has it been erased?

Guys like creek and snake make this place what it is. Getting rid of them is a quest to make this place something different than what it is. That’s Don Quixote stuff. You can’t change what it is.
Old 07-06-18, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,196 Likes on 1,501 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet

Thank you mods for removing easily the most toxic poster on the entire site.
Old 07-06-18, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
What the heck did he specifically do? Has it been erased?

Guys like creek and snake make this place what it is. Getting rid of them is a quest to make this place something different than what it is. That’s Don Quixote stuff. You can’t change what it is.
Sure you can. They just did. And for the better.
Old 07-06-18, 12:21 PM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

Folks, I remind you not to discuss banned posters. There are legitimate reasons for this. If you have something specific you want to talk to us about, you can PM me or one of the other mods. I'm about to go out of town for over a week with little communication, so I may not get back right away.
Old 07-06-18, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by VinVega
Some people want more heavy handed moderation here. At the same time another group will crucify the mods and admins if they start to get more heavy handed and start handing out quick suspensions and bans for in thread remarks. Some here want the mods to police thought. There are active campaigns to have users banned here. I get complaints that the forum is too liberal and at the same time I get complaints that it's too conservative. At the end of the day, it's all about the rules. Does the post/comment in question violate one of the rules? I try to let people express themselves here even if I don't agree with the sentiment. Maybe the other mods would like to chime in. Having a shitty opinion is allowed here, but calling another poster a piece of shit isn't. kefrank's rules quotes provide enough gray area to shut down the sig. If this were the first comment about the sig, I don't know if I would do anything about it, but now that I've had multiple people bringing it to my attention, I'm removing the inflammatory language in the sig. It's probably not a good idea to champion personal attacks in your sig.
The mods and admins need to be consistent, instead of favoring some over others. When that happens...you get the current problem.

And by the way, I've been called many derogatory and defamatory names, to no consequence.

If you guys up there really want to start making a difference, make an announcement, make it firm, and treat everyone with respect on the same level and punish everyone according to what they did fairly, without favoring one over the other just because they agree with your personal politics.

Also, sigs and avatars...should not be conspicuously and blatantly used for attacking a political group and/or person and/or group.

If you can't muster the balls to say what you want to say in a forum, a sig and avatar should not be allowed to use this passive-aggressive behavior.

In fact, why not just go into vB and uncheck the Avatar and Sig allowances in Politics. Problem solved.

As far as active campaigns to get others banned, the solution is simple. 30-day Suspension to those who are actively trying to get others banned. If it continues...permanent ban. Actively running campaigns on DVD Talk against others is wrong. Most of us don't know each other. To call each other names, spread lies, spread assumptions about others without direct evidence, is wrong, and should not be tolerated or minimized.

And honestly, I think the politics forum should just go away. It's a big fat puss-filled sore on DVD Talk's butt. It was once a nice place to discuss things. But for some reason, it was just left to its own devices over the last few years, and those devices got extremely rusty, and are a monkey wrench in DVD Talk's operation model, imo.

I asked for a Conservative Forum or hell just a forum that wasn't of the same mindset as the current forum, for those who had a different opinion, to have a place to go without being targeted...that did not happen.

The politics forum is now just a place where a small group of people have free reign to talk shit and get away with it, without any consequence.

Using the same familiar words and name-calling as the current media uses (Left and Right)...should not be tolerated, either.

And VinVega, why are complaints even set to "ON" in the Politics forum. I mean really. It's just a place of insults and semi-fact finding missions. The politics forum should be a forum where users should be on their own, without manipulating the reporting system to get their way. And you know who these people are, what subjects and posters I'm talking about.

I realize this might be an IB requirement, but like I said above...you guys really need to think about just deleting the forum entirely and coming up with something else. It's like a bar with the same half-dozen drunks, repeating the same barely-legible stories, and when a new guy comes in to say something or a different point of view...they get attacked.
Old 07-06-18, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Well, they finally banned creekdipper. It’s a start. I hope the mods and admins look at other troublesome political forum posters as well.

Thank you mods for removing easily the most toxic poster on the entire site.
And yet you'd be scolding them if they did something different, and probably would go on a posting tirade of unfairness until you were told to stop.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you were publicly calling me and a few others racists a while back.

That's not only against IB rules, but defamatory and wrong on multiple levels of behavior.

You're actively pursuing banning members just so you can only hear your own message being repeated back to you in a place that barely holds a dozen participants, spreading disinformation about those when they don't agree with you, and then calling them derogatory names and pushing that narrative until you get your way.

This is why Politics needs to be deleted. Erased. Forgotten. It's a shithole of a place where people go to hear their own one-sided theories repeated back at them by "approved" members, and anyone else is attacked for their opinions that would disagree, and it doesn't even stop there. The people that disagree are called disgusting names, and continue to whine and beg to the mods to ban those posters.

DVD Talk should be about media and technology. Not politics. We tried. We failed miserably.
Old 07-06-18, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Yeah, we lost the “nice place to discuss things” when Trump took over. When you call for paying the legal fees for beating up protestors, suggesting that 2nd Amendment people should take care of your opponent, mock disabled people, berate women, disparage minorities and transgender people, and on and in and on, you cannot complain that the Politics forum isn’t “nice” anymore.

And the President is the king of “disgusting names”. He sets the tone. And yes, he is a misogynist and a racist, without question. So yeah, that’s something that gets discussed these days. Sorry it’s not “nice” enough.
Old 07-06-18, 01:29 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
...just so you can only hear your own message being repeated back to you...

...It's a shithole of a place where people go to hear their own one-sided theories repeated back at them by "approved" members
Yeah. Damn people wanting their stupid Safe Spaces and trigg--

I asked for a Conservative Forum or hell just a forum that wasn't of the same mindset as the current forum, for those who had a different opinion, to have a place to go without being targeted...that did not happen.
so... you wanted a space on the forum where you could feel... safe... to speak your conservative views without being challenged? Kind of a... oh, what do they call them... a "safe space?" Hmm. A novel idea. I'm sure there are some racial minorities and LGBT groups among many others that may be on board with this kind of radical new idea, where, away from their own houses/apartments, they can just relax and be themselves without being targeted or forced to defend their existence to those who don't understand them. Maybe it'll catch on some day and these spaces for safety will be applauded by all.
Old 07-06-18, 01:53 PM
Admin

Also, sigs and avatars...should not be conspicuously and blatantly used for attacking a political group and/or person and/or group.

If you can't muster the balls to say what you want to say in a forum, a sig and avatar should not be allowed to use this passive-aggressive behavior.

In fact, why not just go into vB and uncheck the Avatar and Sig allowances in Politics. Problem solved.
So we should be policing avatars...

And VinVega, why are complaints even set to "ON" in the Politics forum. I mean really. It's just a place of insults and semi-fact finding missions. The politics forum should be a forum where users should be on their own, without manipulating the reporting system to get their way. And you know who these people are, what subjects and posters I'm talking about.
but the political forum should be no holds barred with no RTP button?
Old 07-06-18, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 740 Likes on 380 Posts

I hope it's not considered breaking the rules to say thank you.
Old 07-06-18, 02:30 PM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 551 Likes on 380 Posts

And yet you'd be scolding them if they did something different, and probably would go on a posting tirade of unfairness until you were told to stop.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you were publicly calling me and a few others racists a while back.

That's not only against IB rules, but defamatory and wrong on multiple levels of behavior.

You're actively pursuing banning members just so you can only hear your own message being repeated back to you in a place that barely holds a dozen participants, spreading disinformation about those when they don't agree with you, and then calling them derogatory names and pushing that narrative until you get your way.

This is why Politics needs to be deleted. Erased. Forgotten. It's a shithole of a place where people go to hear their own one-sided theories repeated back at them by "approved" members, and anyone else is attacked for their opinions that would disagree, and it doesn't even stop there. The people that disagree are called disgusting names, and continue to whine and beg to the mods to ban those posters.

DVD Talk should be about media and technology. Not politics. We tried. We failed miserably.
VinVega - DVD Polizei has brought up an interesting point and I will ask the question in another thread.
Old 07-06-18, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

If my opinion is that someone is a bigot, based on their posts, am I not allowed to point that out?
Old 07-06-18, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
Yeah, we lost the “nice place to discuss things” when Trump took over. When you call for paying the legal fees for beating up protestors, suggesting that 2nd Amendment people should take care of your opponent, mock disabled people, berate women, disparage minorities and transgender people, and on and in and on, you cannot complain that the Politics forum isn’t “nice” anymore.

And the President is the king of “disgusting names”. He sets the tone. And yes, he is a misogynist and a racist, without question. So yeah, that’s something that gets discussed these days. Sorry it’s not “nice” enough.
Yeah, unfortunately the President has set the tone for the whole country at this point and it is bleeding into everything, including this forum. Everything is getting so divided these days, and if anything he is just encouraging it. What is happening in the politics forum now is just a symptom of that, is that reason enough to nuke it? I personally don't think so.
Old 07-06-18, 03:27 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

If someone calls for closing the Politics forum, just ban them from that forum. Problem solved.
Old 07-06-18, 03:43 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 116 Likes on 75 Posts

You generalize and oversimplify.
Old 07-06-18, 03:44 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
If someone calls for closing the Politics forum, just ban them from that forum. Problem solved.
Yup. Or maybe even a 30-90 day suspension from that forum if that's feasible.*

Also, dare I be so bold as to suggest that new accounts should have to wait 30 to 90 days to post in politics at all? We don't currently have a huge problem of new folks coming in to stir shit up, but it wouldn't be too difficult for them to do so. Putting a limit like that on politics would curb that behavior... unless it's a huge/manual strain on the admins, and not something that could be automatically lifted after the appropriate time.

*Asking for a friend: If I talk shit about book talk, can I be banned from that sub?
Old 07-06-18, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

People who post racist (or often thinly-veiled racist) comments get butthurt over being called "racists"? I think you lost that claim to self-righteous indignation a while back.
Old 07-06-18, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
People who post racist (or often thinly-veiled racist) comments get butthurt over being called "racists"? I think you lost that claim to self-righteous indignation a while back.
Originally Posted by Psi
You generalize and oversimplify.
Originally Posted by Trevor
Originally Posted by cultshock
Yeah, unfortunately the President has set the tone for the whole country at this point and it is bleeding into everything, including this forum. Everything is getting so divided these days, and if anything he is just encouraging it. What is happening in the politics forum now is just a symptom of that, is that reason enough to nuke it? I personally don't think so.
Originally Posted by slop101
If my opinion is that someone is a bigot, based on their posts, am I not allowed to point that out?
And this is just a quick example of when somebody with another opinion enters the Politics Forum.

While everyone should have a right to express themselves, that forum makes it impossible to have a decent and mature conversation. To think that forum has any kind of tolerance of other views, is laughable. And this is why I requested another forum, but got shot down, and yet DVD Talk is supposed to be friendly to everyone? I smell bullshit, and it's entirely coming from the Politics Forum. Again, if you don't have a particular mindset of a half-dozen political zealots, you won't get a decent conversation at all. So, again I ask, what's the purpose of that forum if it's simply an echo chamber for a few people who don't like to have others criticize their political views with maturity and respect. It's being used as a hateful message board, and the justification is..."Because Trump won the election."

Another point, if the politics forum was so great and inviting, why don't we see more anti-Trump users? Hell, I only see the same ones. Even anti-Trumpers (other than the ones who are already there) won't post there. That should say something. There is no discussion going on. Just a bunch of, "Yeah, fuck that guy." or "Yeah, that's right, man." The politics forum is toxic, to use a current term. It's a bad representation of what DVD Talk wants to be.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 07-06-18 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-06-18, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan
Also, dare I be so bold as to suggest that new accounts should have to wait 30 to 90 days to post in politics at all?
This is a good idea, if it can easily done. We've already had a couple banned members create new accounts in order to (briefly, until found out) stir more shit up over there.
Old 07-06-18, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And this is just a quick example of when somebody with another opinion enters the Politics/Gutter Forum.

While everyone should have a right to express themselves, that forum makes it impossible to have a decent and mature conversation.
Actually, my post that you quoted was referring to both sides being divided and arguing more, I wasn't pointing just at you or just conservatives at all, honest (but it was the current president that has made things worse in this regard IMO).
Old 07-06-18, 05:49 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Actually, my post that you quoted was referring to both sides being divided and arguing more, I wasn't pointing just at you or just conservatives at all, honest (but it was the current president that has made things worse in this regard IMO).
But you are one of the many that just gave a thumbs up to one of the more hateful posts I've seen, the same Trump = Hitler, Trump Supporters = Nazis type comment that get spewed on a regular basis.

Originally Posted by Red Hood
We are dealing with people who think that blacks, latinos and gays should be eliminated from society completely. We didn't reason with Nazis for the same reasons we aren't going to reason with Trump supporters. They are evil, their whole agenda is evil and we shouldn't normalize or be civil to them.
Totally agree with this sir.
Old 07-06-18, 06:08 PM
Admin

America has become angrier over each new administration it seems. We need to figure out a way to dial back the anger, at least at each other here. The constant lashing out at each other here is leading the forum down a dark path. It was never designed to be like this. I know I'll probably be attacked just for expressing this, but that is my feeling.

And I think part of the problem is we need some more mods. I don't think we're keeping up with the volume and that's part of the problem as well. We are working on that.
Old 07-06-18, 06:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dan
Yup. Or maybe even a 30-90 day suspension from that forum if that's feasible.*

Also, dare I be so bold as to suggest that new accounts should have to wait 30 to 90 days to post in politics at all? We don't currently have a huge problem of new folks coming in to stir shit up, but it wouldn't be too difficult for them to do so. Putting a limit like that on politics would curb that behavior... unless it's a huge/manual strain on the admins, and not something that could be automatically lifted after the appropriate time.

*Asking for a friend: If I talk shit about book talk, can I be banned from that sub?
You want a rule to prevent something that isn’t even happening?
Old 07-06-18, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If "Trump supporters" is going to be considered a "generalization", there is probably going to have to be a lot more clarification given for the terms used in the posted rules. I know I certainly don't consider it anything like the posted examples, but I'll try and go along with whatever clarifications are given.
Old 07-06-18, 06:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Draven

So everything is Trump’s fault? Just like when everything was Obama’s fault. I get it.

What name does Trump post under here?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.