Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 19th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 08-26-23, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Theme/Subset List / The Checklist / TCM Oct 2023 Schedule / Trivia Question #1 / Trivia Question #2 / Trivia Question #3 / The Ghana Giveaway

Theme Nights 2023 list is complete.

The Subset 2023 List w/ Physical Media and Streaming Guide is complete.

The current progress of the Checklist is on post #148.

The Discussion Thread is UP.

Subset Volunteers - 25

IMDB advanced title search

Horror Films by year starting 1895

Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 19th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-23, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 19th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I was able to cross Attend a live or virtual event off my checklist. A horror novel I've written is being published this month, and tonight I got to be a panelist and read an excerpt from it at book festival in Windsor. Tonight was their "Friday The 13th Evening", so it was me and a couple other Canadian horror authors.
Awesome! What's the name of your book?

I got to mark it off yesterday. I went to see the Welcome to Night Vale live show which was a lot of fun. The story centered around the residents of Night Vale finding doors they never noticed in their houses that led to attics they didn't know they had. Cecil, the main character, finds a slide projector full of photographs from a childhood vacation to the Grand Canyon that he didn't remember taking until he touched the projector. I had a fantastic time.
Old 10-13-23, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 489 Likes on 323 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 19th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Awesome! What's the name of your book?
Sacrifice of the Sisters Lot.

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I got to mark it off yesterday. I went to see the Welcome to Night Vale live show which was a lot of fun. The story centered around the residents of Night Vale finding doors they never noticed in their houses that led to attics they didn't know they had. Cecil, the main character, finds a slide projector full of photographs from a childhood vacation to the Grand Canyon that he didn't remember taking until he touched the projector. I had a fantastic time.
That sounds really cool. Do we all have dreams about suddenly finding hidden attics or rooms in our homes? I sometimes do.

A couple years ago I saw a production of The Woman In Black I thought was outstanding. Even though it was a community theatre (with sadly only a dozen people in the audience), I can't imagine a professional production being more effective. Made me wish I had the means to see live theatre more often.
The following users liked this post:
WillieMLF (10-16-23)
Old 10-14-23, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
C'mon man! The Friday The 13th series is easy-peasy. I don't know what it is, but I have found something to love in every one of those films. Watching Part VI again for this year's subset has been one of my highlights.
Finished the first 3 and that was a semi struggle lol. I put up with Freddy cause I like him but never was into Jason for some reason. My early go to's were Chucky and Freddy. The Chucky movies I can always get into.

Originally Posted by jholmes
I really enjoyed RENFIELD. I bought the blu ray and watched the extras. The cast and crew put a lot into the film. Cage had always wanted to play Dracula. I also quite like Nicholas Hoult. He really got my attention in A SINGLE MAN (2009) and loved him in WARM BODIES (2013). That man can even look good as a zombie.
I watched Renfield also for the challenge for the first time and loved it. Both Cage and Hoult killed it plus the lady cop. Def had me cracking up.

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I was able to cross Attend a live or virtual event off my checklist. A horror novel I've written is being published this month, and tonight I got to be a panelist and read an excerpt from it at book festival in Windsor. Tonight was their "Friday The 13th Evening", so it was me and a couple other Canadian horror authors.
I went to a pumpkin patch tonight. I forgot, do we add that as a viewing for a movie lol

jholmes (10-14-23)
Old 10-14-23, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Friday the 13th Part 2 ended up not happening because something came up and my friend who was going to host it had something to take care of. So I ended up watching the last two movies on my Mill Creek Fright Night set, Disc 1 , from Hamilton Books. And then I topped off my night with an episode from my Witchblade anime DVD set. Oh well. I guess it shows to make the most of last minute changes.
Old 10-14-23, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jacob_b
I went to a pumpkin patch tonight. I forgot, do we add that as a viewing for a movie lol
jacob_b (10-14-23)
Old 10-14-23, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

If anyone needs it.. a good copy of Alone in the Dark is on Youtube
Undeadcow (10-14-23)
Old 10-14-23, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 330 Likes on 201 Posts

Never Hike Alone 2 really felt like a fan film (in a bad way)
Old 10-14-23, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,114 Likes on 682 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Never Hike Alone 2 really felt like a fan film (in a bad way)
That sucks. I liked the first one and was going to check this one out.

Last night I watched the fan film I posted earlier, Friday The 13th: Vengeance (Part 1) and was surprised how polished it was.

It isn't perfect. The effects and kills are a little lackluster but the acting and story was better than expected. Surprisingly, there was more nudity in it than probably almost all the Friday the 13th movies combined!

I am definitely going to check out Part II.

It is miles ahead of Terror At Tenkiller!
Old 10-14-23, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok. this time I fucked around with the lighting and my camera setting and got better shots of the next round. If anyone wants to see a particular poster that I posted previously but a better shot with less glare, let me know.

This isn't the end. Have several others I will post as the challenge goes on. All the Universal Monster stuff and the Best Buy thread had me reconsidering those 4K sets that Amazon had on sale for $30 a piece so I reconsidered and impulse bought them last night since they were still on sale. Can't wait to see the main ones in 4K!

The following 7 users liked this post by Spiderbite:
Crocker Jarmen (10-14-23), jholmes (10-14-23), Surfinhank (10-14-23), Toddarino (10-14-23), Undeadcow (10-14-23), Voorheeshulk (10-22-23), WillieMLF (10-14-23) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-14-23, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not trying to count this, but still good for the season. If anyone is interested, YouTube has a huge collection of old Art Bell Ghost to Ghost specials. I’ve been listening to one a day for most of the past week.
The following 2 users liked this post by shadokitty:
Crocker Jarmen (10-14-23), Undeadcow (10-14-23)
Old 10-14-23, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 841 Likes on 554 Posts

Ok. this time I fucked around with the lighting and my camera setting and got better shots of the next round. If anyone wants to see a particular poster that I posted previously but a better shot with less glare, let me know.

This isn't the end. Have several others I will post as the challenge goes on. All the Universal Monster stuff and the Best Buy thread had me reconsidering those 4K sets that Amazon had on sale for $30 a piece so I reconsidered and impulse bought them last night since they were still on sale. Can't wait to see the main ones in 4K!

Fuck yes! These Creature ones are great.
Spiderbite (10-14-23)
Old 10-14-23, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Not trying to count this, but still good for the season. If anyone is interested, YouTube has a huge collection of old Art Bell Ghost to Ghost specials. I’ve been listening to one a day for most of the past week.
Thanks for the tip! Listened to Art every night back in the day, and have been wanting to dig up some of his old shows again. Even though I don't believe any of this stuff, some of his guests and subjects legitimately creeped me out.
shadokitty (10-14-23)
Old 10-14-23, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts

I had some decent momentum going today until I chose to put on Skinamarink. Holy shit, this movie about killed me. It seemed like a major exercise in tedium. It also largely succeeds in confusing and showing virtually nothing. I took a long deep nap during it, which necessitated me having to go back into it to finish it. I heard really good things about this movie, too. How did so many people not only endure this but like it? Any defenders here? I'd love to hear it.
WillieMLF (10-16-23)
Old 10-14-23, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I also use to listen to Art Bell regularly; that was great hocky trash presented with class and gusto. Thank you for the lead. Ill probably dig in after the movie challenge.
shadokitty (10-14-23)
Old 10-14-23, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

I just got mine yesterday
Spiderbite (10-14-23)
Old 10-14-23, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Got a late start today, as my mom is in town visiting my newborn nephew. Going to stay up late tonight. I’m watching 28 Days Later right now and this blu looks terrible. On to the theme movie once this is done.
Old 10-14-23, 09:10 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I had some decent momentum going today until I chose to put on Skinamarink. Holy shit, this movie about killed me. It seemed like a major exercise in tedium. It also largely succeeds in confusing and showing virtually nothing. I took a long deep nap during it, which necessitated me having to go back into it to finish it. I heard really good things about this movie, too. How did so many people not only endure this but like it? Any defenders here? I'd love to hear it.
No defender here. Only thing I can surmise as to the films success is the average person has a very low threshold of being entertained.
Old 10-14-23, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I borrowed it from my local library just to see what the hubbub is about. I am not looking forward to it though from everything I have read.

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
I just got mine yesterday
I got the first set in today and the 2nd set comes in next week. I watched The Wolf Man (1941) UHD tonight. It is so damn pretty that it literally looks like it could have been filmed yesterday and they chose B&W film.

I watched several films today. I definitely recommend the second Friday the 13th fan film I posted called Friday The 13th Vengeance 2: Bloodlines (2022). They dump the nudity for this but up the production value, kills, effects and gore. The last 30 minutes has Jason just going fucking cuckoo.

I also watched a Keanu Reeves film tonight (Knock Knock - 2015)where he truly has his Nicolas Cage moment. I have watched a lot of bad films so far this challenge and numerous bad actors and bad scenes, but I don't think I have laughed this hard at a scene or actor yet. Who wrote this? Was this Keanu ad-libbing? I don't know but I want more of it. Fucking fantastic.

No real spoilers in this scene if you haven't seen the movie. If you have seen the trailer or read the synopsis of the movie, then you get the gist already.

Old 10-14-23, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I also watched a Keanu Reeves film tonight (Knock Knock - 2015)where he truly has his Nicolas Cage moment. I have watched a lot of bad films so far this challenge and numerous bad actors and bad scenes, but I don't think I have laughed this hard at a scene or actor yet. Who wrote this? Was this Keanu ad-libbing? I don't know but I want more of it. Fucking fantastic.

No real spoilers in this scene if you haven't seen the movie. If you have seen the trailer or read the synopsis of the movie, then you get the gist already.

I posted this years ago. I'm sorry, but this is def one of the best horror monologues ever. I stand by it. Keanu is golden. And I think the movie was done by Eli Roth as his wife is one of the women in this film.
Old 10-15-23, 10:31 AM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

Based on reviews, I didn't watch it. Thanks for confirming that was the right call! I'm not a fan of vague, mumble-core horror. I was not a fan of Outwaters and Skinamarink sounded worse. Give me a gd story and have it make a modicum of sense please. If you can't do that, the visuals better be spectacularly atmospheric and mesmerizing (aka Dementia 1955).

I haven't seen Knock, Knock but it's on my list. Sounds fun.
Old 10-15-23, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jholmes
I haven't seen Knock, Knock but it's on my list. Sounds fun.
It is definitely fun...ny!

I tend to typically put myself in the protagonist's position when watching movies like this, but I kept getting that knocked out of my head due to laughing so much at Keanu's performance and dialogue in this movie. They are both simply atrocious but so goddamn funny that you can't the movie seriously in the slightest bit.

And the way the girls act after he sleeps with them. The breakfast scene is so beyond bad it is hard to describe. These two sexy, mature young women turn into 3-year-old toddlers the next day. And they continue to act like that for the rest of the movie. It is hilariously jarring.

I plan to watch the original movie, which I have never seen, before the end of the challenge which is called Death Game (1977) and it is streaming on AMC+/Shudder. One of the original women has a cameo in Knock Knock. There is actually a Spanish remake of Death Game from 1980 called Vicious And Nude. I don't see it streaming anywhere. Vicious and Nude (1980) - IMDb

Edited to add that it does appear you can find V&N streaming on Youtube.
The following 2 users liked this post by Spiderbite:
jacob_b (10-15-23), Undeadcow (10-15-23)
Old 10-15-23, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This afternoon I decided to look at the horror lists on icheckmovies, and decided to start modestly with the 101 Horror Movies You Must See Before You Die. As I perused the list, I was immediately able to check off something like 34 or 35. And I started with Der Golem ​​​​​​, the 1920 German Silent Film. It happened to be on YouTube, so was easy to find. I always remember seeing stills of the monster in some of my dad's old monster magazines as a kid.
Gobear (10-15-23)
Old 10-15-23, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

I plan to watch the original movie, which I have never seen, before the end of the challenge which is called Death Game (1977) and it is streaming on AMC+/Shudder. One of the original women has a cameo in Knock Knock. There is actually a Spanish remake of Death Game from 1980 called Vicious And Nude. I don't see it streaming anywhere. Vicious and Nude (1980) - IMDb

Edited to add that it does appear you can find V&N streaming on Youtube.
I thought I had seen Death Game, and was surprised to see it wasn't marked as watched on icheckmovies or Letterboxd. I later realized that the film I saw was a similar, earlier movie called Teenage Innocence (1973). It's not a horror movie, but you may want to check it out.
Old 10-15-23, 02:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Piper Laurie died yesterday. I am truly crushed. "Carrie" has always been one my absolute favorite horror films, due in large part to her mesmerizing performance.

Here's a really nice article from Variety that I encourage everyone who is a fan to read:

https://variety.com/2023/film/column...er-1235756697/
The following 4 users liked this post by Surfinhank:
Gobear (10-15-23), jholmes (10-16-23), Shack (10-15-23), WillieMLF (10-16-23)
Old 10-15-23, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

This afternoon I decided to look at the horror lists on icheckmovies, and decided to start modestly with the 101 Horror Movies You Must See Before You Die. As I perused the list, I was immediately able to check off something like 34 or 35. And I started with Der Golem ​​​​​​, the 1920 German Silent Film. It happened to be on YouTube, so was easy to find. I always remember seeing stills of the monster in some of my dad's old monster magazines as a kid.
Der Golem is also available on Blu-Ray from Kino. I own it, and it is an excellent film.

FYI, TCM is showing another Paul Wegener silent horror movie tonight, The Magician.

https://www.tcm.com/video/1457333/be...-magician-1926
shadokitty (10-16-23)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.