DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

11th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-18, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: 11th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by davidh777
Thanks for the reminder that I have Blade Runner sitting in my Vudu queue! I should also try to fit in the new Alien.

Glad orlmac is including the Purge films. It was only a couple challenges ago that I checked them and saw they fit under the category of "social science fiction," or how people react when placed in certain situations. I think I've seen the second and third within the last year but not the first.
I remember when you checked them. I believe it was when I had rented the first one from Amazon and talked about the movie. I remember seeing it on a list of sci fi films on IMDB.
Old 06-30-18, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

I'll be getting a list up soon. Sci-fi and fantasy (along with horror) are my favorite genres, and I figure I'd have 40-50 "movies" in my list whether there was a challenge going on or not My ongoing tv viewing has been CW's Arrowverse shows (I'm a year and a half behind, just getting to the "Invasion" cross-over). And I'm still working my way through the original Dark Shadows, up to episode 751 (even though it's main genre is horror, it counts as fantasy too).

Couldn't wait until the challenge, but I finally got around to seeing Solo yesterday. I thought it was a fun, fast-paced, pulpy adventure ... exactly the sort of thing I would be wanting from a solo Solo movie. I guess I'll have to check the movie thread to find out why people hated it.
Old 07-01-18, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Finished my night's viewing. Watched the first ep of season six of Voltron: Legendary Defender, because I'm not waiting another month and it counts toward this challenge.

For my movies, I watched The Terrornauts (1967), which has an interesting sci-fi pedigree because it's based on a novel by Murray Leinster and John Brunner wrote the screenplay.

The Earth Dies Screaming (1964) is a bit of low-key fun, with no screaming in it. I liked that you could tell the Dennis Price's character was a bounder, by the fact that he put water, well seltzer water, in his whisky.
Old 07-01-18, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I started my challenge a little later than planned, due to a nap. I started with the 'Plato's Stepchildren' episode of Star Trek, on MeTV.
Old 07-01-18, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first challenge. I don't think I'll get a very high number as this month is very busy with work and Wimbledon, but I'll give it a try.

Things I may watch:

1). the new Doctor Who Season 12 blu ray. It should be arriving tomorrow and I want to start on it but my 8 year old daughter wants to watch it with me and she's not available until Wednesday. I may start on some of the special features but I was disappointed to see that they don't count for the challenge. Are there any objections to my including them under a spoiler tag in my list post?

2). Dark Shadows. I started watching this about ten years ago and hinge on it every now and then. I'm currently bogged down in the Adam storyline.

3). The X-Files. I stalled on my rewatch at the beginning of season 5 a few months back. Possibly Millennium will come in here but I'm surprised that 'fantasy' isn't listed as any of the genres for that show on IMDB.
Old 07-01-18, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Hope everyone is enjoying their start of the challenge! Enjoy!
Old 07-01-18, 08:34 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by captainshatner
This is my first challenge. I don't think I'll get a very high number as this month is very busy with work and Wimbledon, but I'll give it a try.

Things I may watch:

1). the new Doctor Who Season 12 blu ray. It should be arriving tomorrow and I want to start on it but my 8 year old daughter wants to watch it with me and she's not available until Wednesday. I may start on some of the special features but I was disappointed to see that they don't count for the challenge. Are there any objections to my including them under a spoiler tag in my list post?

2). Dark Shadows. I started watching this about ten years ago and hinge on it every now and then. I'm currently bogged down in the Adam storyline.

3). The X-Files. I stalled on my rewatch at the beginning of season 5 a few months back. Possibly Millennium will come in here but I'm surprised that 'fantasy' isn't listed as any of the genres for that show on IMDB.
Welcome aboard Captain! How’d you find us here at DVDTalk? And I expect to see some Trek in your list
Old 07-01-18, 09:28 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

I kicked things off with First Men in the Moon. A bit slow and long at an hour 40 minutes, but the Harryhausen effects were great.
Old 07-01-18, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Welcome aboard Captain! How’d you find us here at DVDTalk? And I expect to see some Trek in your list
I'm not sure really. To be honest I've been lurking for years but never actually posted until now.

Probably won't be doing any Trek. I got burned out on a TNG rewatch and started DS9 but paused quite a while back.

I did rewatch The Cage last week though and that still really holds up.
Old 07-01-18, 10:26 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

My major goal for this challenge is to watch all The Outer Limits (well, after episode 7). If I can knock out that and Handmaid's Tale S2, I will be satisfied.
Old 07-01-18, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If anyone is interested, El Rey Network has started their Godzilla marathon that they run every 4th of July weekend.
Old 07-01-18, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Catching up on the new Lost In Space, it's essentially Terra Nova done right.
Old 07-01-18, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I'm not sure really. To be honest I've been lurking for years but never actually posted until now.
Old 07-01-18, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Things I may watch:

Welcome! Glad you could join us!
Go ahead and count the special features for your watch list...I would not count them for the check list though!

You do get 3 wildcards for things without the sci-fi or fantasy tag, don't forget!
Old 07-01-18, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

T2). Dark Shadows. I started watching this about ten years ago and hinge on it every now and then. I'm currently bogged down in the Adam storyline.
Do you know what episode you're up to?

The writers end up with a lot of balls in the air during this storyline. It's a far cry from the "hardly anything ever happens" mode of the early days. But it can be a bit overwhelming. At a certain point, the creative team realized things had gotten out of control and they wrap everything up at breakneck speed over a handful of episodes (pretty much giving the show a fresh start for stories).

Once you get past the Adam story, you're introduced to someone who would go on to become once of the most beloved characters of the series:
Spoiler:
Quentin Collins
. And a new monster comes to Collinsport:
Spoiler:
a werewolf!
Old 07-01-18, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by brainee
Do you know what episode you're up to?

The writers end up with a lot of balls in the air during this storyline. It's a far cry from the "hardly anything ever happens" mode of the early days. But it can be a bit overwhelming. At a certain point, the creative team realized things had gotten out of control and they wrap everything up at breakneck speed over a handful of episodes (pretty much giving the show a fresh start for stories).

Once you get past the Adam story, you're introduced to someone who would go on to become once of the most beloved characters of the series:
Spoiler:
Quentin Collins
. And a new monster comes to Collinsport:
Spoiler:
a werewolf!
I've just watched the one where Barnabas finally has the dream. I so hope that the dream curse is now over!
Old 07-01-18, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by LJG765
Welcome! Glad you could join us!
Go ahead and count the special features for your watch list...I would not count them for the check list though!

You do get 3 wildcards for things without the sci-fi or fantasy tag, don't forget!
Thanks. Would a wildcard count for only one episode of Millennium or would multiple episodes of the same show count as one wildcard?
Old 07-01-18, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks. Would a wildcard count for only one episode of Millennium or would multiple episodes of the same show count as one wildcard?
One episode. I think more would really be pushing it... though I have no problems with you listing more in your list. They just wouldn't count for the challenge.

Watched my first entry a bit go. Trip to the Moon by Melies. Always an entertaing watch for me!

On a personal front, went to Gettysburg today and have to admit I had no idea how spread out it was...!
Old 07-02-18, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've just watched the one where Barnabas finally has the dream. I so hope that the dream curse is now over!
Ugh, that dream curse story line was the worst! I don't blame you for getting bogged down. So much filler (seeing the same thing over and over and over again). The viewers were the true victims of Angelique's curse!
Old 07-02-18, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Stuck inside due to storms today, so thought it was a good day to binge on sci fi. I started off by listening to an hour long segment of last night’s Coast To Coast AM , in which David Serada was discussing the mysteries of time and space with George Noory. Some of the things he discussed were Einstein’s theories, and do extra terrestrials believe in God.
Old 07-02-18, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Stuck inside due to storms today, so thought it was a good day to binge on sci fi. I started off by listening to an hour long segment of last night’s Coast To Coast AM , in which David Serada was discussing the mysteries of time and space with George Noory. Some of the things he discussed were Einstein’s theories, and do extra terrestrials believe in God.
I've seen Coast to Coast mentioned here quite a bit but have no idea what it is. Can you give a brief explanation?

Thanks.
Old 07-02-18, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Saw Avengers Infinity War again, and just in time to count!
Old 07-02-18, 03:23 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Peter Capaldi will be visiting a local convention in September, so I figure it's a great time to catch up on his Doctor Who years!
Old 07-02-18, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've seen Coast to Coast mentioned here quite a bit but have no idea what it is. Can you give a brief explanation?

Thanks.
It’s a syndicated radio show on late at night. Often times the topics cover sci fi or paranormal subjects. Other topics include conspiracy theories and alternative health. For $6.99 a month you can become a Coast Insider. That gives you access to the last five years of shows, as well as some of the best of the Art Bell episodes. You can listen to it on Android, iPhone and on the website on PC.
Old 07-02-18, 07:32 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

I started netflix Iron Fist show. anybody seen it?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.