Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

11th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-18, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 11th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Something that may be of interest to Twilight Zone fans. MeTV now airs the 1 hour episodes on Sunday nights at midnight, EDT.
Thank you. TZ is very near & dear to me.

Old 06-21-18, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I watched a few episodes of Pushing Daisies and liked it but didn't continue for some reason. I should get back to it someday.
Old 06-21-18, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I remember one year, The Force Awakens was the movie of the night on the EAA Campground. There often is at least one sci fi movie played during the week. It is possible that one of the Star Wars movies from the past few years might be played. The year that FA was played Harrison Ford introduced the movie, as he often appears at Airventure Oshkosh. He is an avid pilot and member of the EAA.
Old 06-21-18, 03:38 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

What do you think of putting in HP Lovecraft in place of Richard Matheson (in the dead category). I don't know what others think, I just still have plenty of HP Lovecraft that I haven't seen.
Old 06-22-18, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I haven’t seen it, but that show on AMC with James Cameron looks good LJG. There’s always Ancient Aliens, and I enjoy most of the UFO documentaries on Amazon Prime. Not sure if it is still on there, but there also used to be a show on Prime called A Century Of Science Fiction. That’s a show that covers a different subject every episode.
I may have to check out "A Century of Science Fiction..." Thanks for the recs!

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I really need to stop reading such stuff as it often piques my curiosity, I look up the mentioned title, often wind up purchasing a copy, and the piles grow... I have enough piles and truly need to concentrate on what I have that's still unwatched rather than add more... When it comes to SF/Fantasy titles I have little willpower to not make the purchase if it even marginally sounds interesting.
Me too...feel the same way though I'm really watching my budget lately! I try to rely on my library and Vudu/Prime as much as I can, then the ones I like, I'll add to my buy list. Doesn't always work, but I try!

Originally Posted by orlmac
What do you think of putting in HP Lovecraft in place of Richard Matheson (in the dead category). I don't know what others think, I just still have plenty of HP Lovecraft that I haven't seen.
Well, Lovecraft has been on the list as long as Matheson, or nearly. I guess I could combine him and Lovecraft as an either or, but honestly, I'd prefer not to. I mainly added C.S. Lewis as an either/or because he mainly just has The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe films out there and while I consider them classic fantasy, it was a little thin to have a listing just for him.

Any other opinions about replacing Matheson with Lovecraft?
Old 06-22-18, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I’m going to take a day today to do a little pre challenge viewing and listening. Starting by listening to an old episode of Coast To Coast AM that actually had both guests talking about science fiction. The first topic is future science, followed by Presidential UFO encounters.
Old 06-22-18, 08:00 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I have what is hopefully my last question. I started watching George Romero's first four Living Dead films but when I got to the third one (Dawn of the Dead) it's not listed as being science-fiction or fantasy. I could just skip it and go on to Land of the Dead but I thought I would check to see if I could get permission to count it toward the checklist so that I don't have to skip it.
Old 06-22-18, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by orlmac
I have what is hopefully my last question. I started watching George Romero's first four Living Dead films but when I got to the third one (Dawn of the Dead) it's not listed as being science-fiction or fantasy. I could just skip it and go on to Land of the Dead but I thought I would check to see if I could get permission to count it toward the checklist so that I don't have to skip it.
Once the challenge starts, you're good to go. It has zombies. While it doesn't have the sci-fi/fantasy tags, I think that's more oversight than anything...but yeah, this one is pretty easy to make a decision for!

Also, don't forget, there are wildcards available as well for movies that you think count but don't have the tags!
Old 06-24-18, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm going to focus on movies I haven't seen, as well as catching up on Westworld and Sense8.
Old 06-24-18, 06:35 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

i might work my way through The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings films. I have already watched the LOTR extended cuts about a year ago, but have not seen the Hobbit films. Any recommendations on watch order?
Old 06-24-18, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
i might work my way through The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings films. I have already watched the LOTR extended cuts about a year ago, but have not seen the Hobbit films. Any recommendations on watch order?
Technically The Hobbit comes first chronologically in Tolkien's universe, so I'd watch them first, then watch LOTR.
Old 06-24-18, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I’m not sure what I’m going to be working on. I’ll probably just wing things. Can’t wait till next Saturday night.
Old 06-24-18, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
Originally Posted by LJG765
Technically The Hobbit comes first chronologically in Tolkien's universe, so I'd watch them first, then watch LOTR.
Tolkien wrote "The Hobbit" (1937) before "The Lord of the Rings" (1954). "The Hobbit" sold so well the publishers asked for a sequel so he gave them "The Lord of the Rings" which was deemed too risky due to its length and was split into three books to help mitigate any losses.

I highly recommend reading "The Hobbit" before watching that trilogy. It's rather short and an easy read.
Old 06-24-18, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Tolkien wrote "The Hobbit" (1937) before "The Lord of the Rings" (1954). "The Hobbit" sold so well the publishers asked for a sequel so he gave them "The Lord of the Rings" which was deemed too risky due to its length and was split into three books to help mitigate any losses.

I highly recommend reading "The Hobbit" before watching that trilogy. It's rather short and an easy read.
I actually did a book report on “The Hobbit”. Then I saw the cartoon. I later found both it and the third book at a used book sale at my local library.
Old 06-25-18, 09:53 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

The Hobbit is the book that got me into reading waaaaaay back in the 7th grade.
Old 06-25-18, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I've read The Hobbit so many times. It was a staple of my summer reading diet in my adolescence and teenage years. Other books were added such as Dune, The Name of the Rose, and The Lord of the Rings as I grew up. I finally stopped when I went to college and stopped reading things that weren't for class.

I'm so excited for next month. I've been putting off seeing some new SF/F releases in theaters until the challenge gets underway. Unfortunately, I'm out of town on the first and have a family vacation in the middle of the month so my numbers may not be terribly impressive, but I'll get through as much as I can!
Old 06-25-18, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

My son and his family are coming in on the 1st. My daughter, her kids, and my wife and I are meeting them in Memphis for "Jurassic Quest" - a animatronic dinosaur exhibit on Sunday and then a trip to the zoo on Monday. I'm not so sure about the dino "exhibit" but am looking forward to the zoo. I've not been there in years and they've done lots of remodeling/upgrading of the exhibits. After that, it's to my house for a few days before they go home. It'll impact my numbers but I've gotten to where I just don't shoot for high ones any longer. It takes too much out of me and I'd rather enjoy what I watch than try to burn through a bunch of stuff. Suffice it to say that I've done "higher" numbers in the challenges before and just don't care to revisit that exhaustion level. It makes me a very grumpy person.
Old 06-25-18, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sounds like a lot of us are taking vacations or having company next month. I’ll be gone most of the last week in July myself. No sci fi movies playing on the week of Oshkosh at the theater in the grounds. Might watch Dunkirk though, as that is one of the movies playing.
Old 06-25-18, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yep, chronologically it makes sense to watch Hobbit then LOTR. But fortunately numbercrunch has already watched LOTR because some things in The Hobbit make more sense with that knowledge. Also, LOTR is a more satisfying watch to me, so it's better to end with that.
Old 06-25-18, 11:41 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback guys.
Old 06-26-18, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sounds like a lot of us are taking vacations or having company next month.
I have to admit to going on a road trip family vacation myself this month! I'm leaving at the end of the week and back the first week of July, back for a week, then several days at the lake with family again. I probably won't get big numbers either, but I know what I'll watch will be my favorites and things that I haven't seen before. I plan on watching at least shorts at night while on the road trip-I know I'll need something to wind down with!

Please keep asking questions though, as I have the thread on instant email notification so I'll def. see activity here and will be able to give answers when needed!

Originally Posted by davidh777
Yep, chronologically it makes sense to watch Hobbit then LOTR. But fortunately numbercrunch has already watched LOTR because some things in The Hobbit make more sense with that knowledge. Also, LOTR is a more satisfying watch to me, so it's better to end with that.
I agree, the LOTRs movies are much better (extended all the way!) than the Hobbits, though I do enjoy those too. I just think they're a bit bloated. I have not watched the extended editions of those yet, though I don't think more footage would make them less full! I think 2 would've been okay instead of 3!

The book, however, is my favorite of all of them! I need to re-read it soon!
Old 06-26-18, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I posted the list thread HERE.

Take a look at the checklist. The only change I made was combine Matheson and Lovecraft in the "He's Dead, Jim" list. If there are no other suggestions, it'll be official. I'll give another 24 hours for suggestions/comments/concerns, so tomorrow, Tuesday night, 12 a.m. Central is the deadline for those!
Old 06-26-18, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I agree, the LOTRs movies are much better (extended all the way!) than the Hobbits, though I do enjoy those too. I just think they're a bit bloated. I have not watched the extended editions of those yet, though I don't think more footage would make them less full! I think 2 would've been okay instead of 3!

The book, however, is my favorite of all of them! I need to re-read it soon!
"A bit bloated" is being kind. And yeah, I have the extended editions, but have only watched one so far, whereas I swear by the LOTR EEs.
Old 06-26-18, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
"A bit bloated" is being kind. And yeah, I have the extended editions, but have only watched one so far, whereas I swear by the LOTR EEs.
Yeah, the LOTR EEs add a lot to the story and really, I never notice the extra time. It's really does extend the story and adds in good content, explains more of the story as well. I can't imagine how adding time to the Hobbit would do the same!
Old 06-26-18, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I did a rewatch of LOTR for this year's action challenge spilling into the Oscars challenge, but I didn't get to the Hobbit films. Something to consider for this month. But we all know that summer is the time for vacations, plus my kids are out of school so I'll be spending what would've been movie time watching them play video games.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.