Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

11th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-18, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: 11th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

I致e been working my way through the original Lion Force Voltron the past few days, off and on. Sci Fi cartoons are some of my favorite shows. Soon I値l be up to the part when my favorite character, until Season 2 with Merla, joins. I知 referring to Lotor, as I am within a few episodes of the final Yurak episode.
Old 07-07-18, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

My weekend viewing plans got derailed. My son and his family have been in town, staying with us, this past week. They originally planned to leave this morning but he got in shortly after midnight from a one-day business trip he had to make and decided to stay another day and rest before the ~12 hr. drive home. I found that out this morning ~8 when I was thinking "Why hasn't he started to load the car?" That means I'll get little watched today and I had a full days worth of movies lined up. Oh well... I should get most of tomorrow.
Old 07-07-18, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
If you have Sorry to Bother You playing in your town, Go See It! It's a brilliant, savage AF takedown of corporate America and our obsessive need to find identity through buying and selling crap we don't need.
My local megaplex showed the trailer for this and I hoped that meant the theater would get the movie. Sadly that's not the case Sounds really good though. And while the trailer didn't make it clear, the movie is listed as science fiction.
Old 07-07-18, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
It was decent. I was a bit disappointed in many events of the movie, but I did enjoy myself while watching it. The ending makes the next sequel look like it ought to be a different type of Jurassic movie.
Thanks, sequels tend never to be as good as the original, but I am hoping for an entertaining flick.

Finally made it home, and am now watching an old favorite, "Return of the Killer Tomatoes." So bad it's good! And really, how can you go wrong with John Astin and George Clooney? I'm also introducing it to my niece who seems to be enjoying it so far...
Old 07-08-18, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was looking for something for my Challenge this morning, so I decided on an episode of Coast To Coast AM , from July 1. I had already listened to the second guest of that episode for this Challenge, so I wanted to listen to the first guest, Dawson Church. He talked about how mind creates matter, and an example is how if you are sick and you will yourself well, you will be healed.
Old 07-08-18, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If anyone has either HBO Go or HBO Now, I noticed that last night's movie premiere at 8:00 was Justice League. Haven''t watched it yet myself, so I don't know how the movie is, but might be an interesting view if you are looking for a superhero movie.

Along the same lines, I see Amazon Prime has the new Power Rangers movie. Been meaning to check that out, but kind of hard bringing myself to watch it, being a reboot of a show I loved.
Old 07-09-18, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

FTV if I am watching the Donner cut of Superman 2 if I have only seen the theatrical?
Old 07-09-18, 02:40 AM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Shadow kitty, Justice League is fantastic. I would definitely try and watch it this month.
Old 07-09-18, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saturday night I started Flash Gordon (2007) - the single season (for a reason) Sci-Fi Channel series and by Sunday afternoon had watched the first 5 episodes (one was the 2-part pilot). I don't quite know what to make of this one. It has some cheesiness - but I don't think it's intentional. It's full of fairly bad dialog, not so good scripts, no-name actors, several of which are woefully miscast, who are mostly not up to the limited demands of the scripts, and a *constant* soundtrack which I find very distracting. That made me consider that this seems to be the norm for most "serious" series these days. There's no silence - ever. Often the music does not fit the screen action or just serves to accentuate how bad the dialog actually is as it's attempting to add gravitas to a poorly acted/written scene that wants to come off as serious but isn't. I'll watch it all simply because that's what I do but I doubt I'll ever revisit this series.

I also watched a few BR upgrades:

Lost in Space, the ill-advised movie based on the TV series. Every time I watch it I think maybe I'll like it better but don't.

Red Planet, a somewhat maligned film that I enjoy.

Galaxy Quest, perhaps the best SF parody film ever made. Pure magic and tons of fun. Were I not of the opinion it'd be a pale imitation I'd love to see a sequel.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 07-09-18 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-09-18, 06:08 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
I think we elected it president.

If you have Sorry to Bother You playing in your town, Go See It!

thanks for the recommendation
Old 07-09-18, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Galaxy Quest, perhaps the best SF parody film ever made. Pure magic and tons of fun. Were I not of the opinion it'd be a pale imitation I'd love to see a sequel.
I came to this one late and while I don't love it, I think it's a fun watch. It'd be hard to do the sequel without Alan Rickman!
Old 07-09-18, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by shellebelle
Shadow kitty, Justice League is fantastic. I would definitely try and watch it this month.
I didn't like Justice League, but we all have different opinions.
Old 07-09-18, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I didn't like Justice League, but we all have different opinions.
I agree with yours, but I would give it a chance if you like the DC heroes.

Got through a Harry Potter marathon, which seemed to take forever, but now I miss those characters.
Old 07-10-18, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shellebelle
OK... so... I also have Wonder Woman, which I've not seen. Should I watch it before or after Justice League. I know JL came 2nd and her movie sets up the character so I guess the real question is are there spoilers for the WW movie in JL?
Old 07-10-18, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

OK... so... I also have Wonder Woman, which I've not seen. Should I watch it before or after Justice League. I know JL came 2nd and her movie sets up the character so I guess the real question is are there spoilers for the WW movie in JL?
I don't recall any spoilers, but I'd watch WW first.
Old 07-10-18, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with yours, but I would give it a chance if you like the DC heroes.
I like DC heroes, but generally do not care for most of the DC films after Tim Burton's Batman Returns (no - I do not like Nolan's Batman series - any of them). I actually enjoyed Batman vs. Superman, but have only seen the extended version. Mind you, it wasn't "great" but simply good enough that I'd consider a 2nd viewing. Something I can't say about most of the post Burton DC universe films.
Got through a Harry Potter marathon, which seemed to take forever, but now I miss those characters.
The first time I saw The Sorcerer's Stone I laughed at the CGI and thought it was pretty silly. They grew on me over time and I now really enjoy the series. I still think the CGI on the earlier ones, especially the first, is not well done but have become far more forgiving.
Old 07-10-18, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been enjoying having my niece here this week. She's been watching films with me every night and it's nice to share them with her.

Today we went to see Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. I went into it knowing it's a summer blockbuster/dino movie and was not disappointed. It was very action packed. Full of explosions and dino attacks. I'd give it a 7 out of 10, will watch again. It did totally set up for a sequel which I'm sure will be out in a summer or two. As long as Chris Pratt is in it, I'm sure I'll go watch it too.

Going to spoilers here:

Spoiler:
Liked how they teased with the little girl at the beginning of the film, that she was going to get involved and sneak onto the island like in JP3 (I think it was 3) but was glad they went in a different direction.

I also laughed at the 3 or 4 boot shots of Claire to show everyone she wasn't wearing high heels while running through the island. I heard Howard talking about how the movie was a lot easier because she didn't have to deal with the heels and I don't blame her!

I am wondering if Wu is going to be a major character in the next film...the last two, they have him show up for a few minutes to steal dino DNA and run off. I think it's about time he gets eaten!

I do agree that this isn't going to be the next classic, but if you're looking for an action packed film with dinosaurs and exploding volcanoes, this is for you!
Old 07-10-18, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like DC heroes, but generally do not care for most of the DC films after Tim Burton's Batman Returns (no - I do not like Nolan's Batman series - any of them). I actually enjoyed Batman vs. Superman, but have only seen the extended version. Mind you, it wasn't "great" but simply good enough that I'd consider a 2nd viewing. Something I can't say about most of the post Burton DC universe films.

The first time I saw The Sorcerer's Stone I laughed at the CGI and thought it was pretty silly. They grew on me over time and I now really enjoy the series. I still think the CGI on the earlier ones, especially the first, is not well done but have become far more forgiving.
I used to be a bigger DC fan than Marvel, but the movies over the years have converted me as I don't really read comics. Marvel has done a great job of setting up the characters and then expanding the universe while DC just threw a bunch of crap at you and waited to see what would stick...which seems to only be Wonder Woman at this point. I did, however, love the Nolan trilogy.

I had the same reaction after watching the Sorceror's Stone the first time. I actually pretty much hated everything about the movie, but I was convinced to give Chamber of Secrets a chance when it came out and ended up enjoying it, so I gave SS another chance. It's grown on me since then as well and the series as a whole is one of my favorites.
Old 07-10-18, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I hadn't read Sorcerer's Stone when it came out, and it felt clunky and way too careful to follow the book. Then the second one didn't have enough Hermione for me. But the third one might still be my favorite, and I really enjoy the series overall. I rewatch it every few years.
Old 07-10-18, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Prisoner of Azkaban is my favorite, too. It had a little bit of everything in it.
Old 07-10-18, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Prisoner of Azkaban is my favorite, too. It had a little bit of everything in it.
I知 always a sucker for a good
Spoiler:
time travel
story.
Old 07-11-18, 08:43 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Just saw A Quiet Place, it was really good. An intense ball of stress.
Old 07-11-18, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched Wonder Woman last night. IMHO it's the best DC movie in decades - since Burton's Batman Returns. While I have a few minor quibbles about the rewritten origin/history of the character it's not enough to matter all that much. I just wish they'd stop changing continuity and/or character origins/history for no good reason! It was such a good film that I'm somewhat excited to watch Justice League but all the "bad" press has me a bit worried...

DC vs. Marvel:

I, too, didn't read Marvel comics much and am far more a DC fan. After watching several of the X-Men films I grew to really enjoy the universe that Marvel's building and mostly look forward to any new chapter in the franchise. About the only ones I've not cared for at all are the Hulk films. But I'm also feeling a bit shop worn with all the superhero movies. For me, they've just about hit the saturation point where I'll no longer care unless it's a truly exceptional film. But, oddly enough, DC rules the small screen where I enjoy several of their current series. I have yet to see a series based on Marvel characters that I want to watch. I also wait a couple of years after a series starts and then sample a few episodes before purchasing those that are appealing on disc. No "live TV" on my set - it's not connected to cable or internet and gets disc only viewings.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 07-11-18 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-11-18, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If anyone has an Xbox, this might be of interest. As part of the Anime month sale, this week, Xbox is giving away Season 1 of Naruto Shipuden for free. I believe every week will be a different anime season. Because last week Season 1 of Dragon Ball Super was given away for free.
Old 07-11-18, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched Wonder Woman last night. IMHO it's the best DC movie in decades - since Burton's Batman Returns. While I have a few minor quibbles about the rewritten origin/history of the character it's not enough to matter all that much. I just wish they'd stop changing continuity and/or character origins/history for no good reason! It was such a good film that I'm somewhat excited to watch Justice League but all the "bad" press has me a bit worried...

DC vs. Marvel:

I, too, didn't read Marvel comics much and am far more a DC fan. After watching several of the X-Men films I grew to really enjoy the universe that Marvel's building and mostly look forward to any new chapter in the franchise. About the only ones I've not cared for at all are the Hulk films. But I'm also feeling a bit shop worn with all the superhero movies. For me, they've just about hit the saturation point where I'll no longer care unless it's a truly exceptional film. But, oddly enough, DC rules the small screen where I enjoy several of their current series. I have yet to see a series based on Marvel characters that I want to watch. I also wait a couple of years after a series starts and then sample a few episodes before purchasing those that are appealing on disc. No "live TV" on my set - it's not connected to cable or internet and gets disc only viewings.
Wonder Woman is the only DCEU movie that I've enjoyed.

It's bizarre about the TV side of things, because Agents of SHIELD and Daredevil's early stuff was pretty good, but Claok & Dagger, The Runaways, Luke Cage, etc. haven't been more than mediocre for me. On the DC side, Smallville was one of my favorites during its run. Arrow started off spectaular for the first couple of seasons and has become unwatchable to me now. I still like The Flash for the most part and Legends of Tomorrow has improved a great deal since it started, but Marvel's movies just blow away DC, although I agree we haven't had a good Hulk film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.