Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 7th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 7th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-16, 09:29 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: The 7th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

I have now officially completed the checklist. It's taken me a little over 81 1/2 hours with 129 movies/episodes watched. I'm still going to watch a Speed Racer, 90 minutes of shorts and Fantastic Planet to cover both the "R" rated movie and a Criterion movie Wednesday night but even without those I have had a very successful challenge. Thanks to LJG765 for yet another successful challenge!
Old 08-29-16, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Tonight at 9PM (EST) PBS is repeating the first part of their two-part documentary, "The American Experience: Walt Disney." It's very good and it qualifies for this challenge.

Old 08-30-16, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I finished He-Man. The one thing they skipped out on was why it was cancelled. I had to internet that.

It got a lot better towards the end. Skeletor was more amusing, an episode where Orko was basically the monkey paw for Beastman and Trap Jaw, and He-Man acting without thinking and getting a guy crushed under a pile of rocks.

They had a promo for the New Adventures of He-Man. That looked awful. He-Man isn't anime.
Old 08-30-16, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Paprika is phenomenal! The visuals were breathtaking - some of the best I've seen during this challenge. In particular there is a fanciful yet menacing parade that weaves its way through the film. Also, the character designs are excellent, feeling both surreal and very human. It's a shame that Satoshi Kon died so young. This film has definitely joined Millennium Actress among my favorite anime features if not my favorite films.
Old 08-30-16, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I finished He-Man. The one thing they skipped out on was why it was cancelled. I had to internet that.

It got a lot better towards the end. Skeletor was more amusing, an episode where Orko was basically the monkey paw for Beastman and Trap Jaw, and He-Man acting without thinking and getting a guy crushed under a pile of rocks.

They had a promo for the New Adventures of He-Man. That looked awful. He-Man isn't anime.
I am a big fan of He-Man. Basically, after 130 episodes, they moved their resources to the She-Ra cartoon. While the POP toyline was geared towards girls, the cartoon was meant for both boys and girls. The Horde from the MOTU toyline served as the main enemies and He-Man and other MOTU characters appeared in quite a few episodes. You even have debuts of some other MOTU characters like Stondar and Snout Spout.
Old 08-30-16, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

My son *loves* He-Man and owns almost all of the toys. A local toy store went OOB one Christmas season and had everything at 50% off or better. I purchased Castle Greyskull, Skeletor's Castle, the flying bird car and spire (which sits on top of Greyskull), the mechanical spider, a few other vehicles plus all the figures he was missing, several of the Horde figures and a couple of the skeleton/bone carriers. I spent ~$80 for it all. He was thrilled (me too for the savings)! Like most parents of that time I thought the show existed for the sole reason to sell the toys. I didn't care for it but made him a couple of tapes full of episodes to watch whenever he wanted. Since then I've actually sat down and watched a few episodes with my grandson. They're far better than I'd given them credit for back then and quite enjoyable.

When that new series came out he watched *one* episode and proclaimed it "a bunch of junk" and "That's *not* He-Man!"

When BCI released the first sets of episodes I picked them up for him as a Christmas Stocking stuffer. He was thrilled (and ~24 at that time)! He has zero interest in She-Ra which I've always found surprising.

My grandson likes He-Man but is happy with the 10 episode "sampler" BCI released. Neither he or his sisters have ever seen a episode of She-Ra.

I always thought both shows ended when they had enough episodes to do daily airings in syndication.
Old 08-30-16, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I watched some She-Ra, for the Horde but that was about it. It was a little too close to Strawberry Shortcake, My Little Pony, and Rainbow Brite for me to enjoy.

For the next couple of days I'm going to try and finish the last season of Clone Wars and then the Shaun the Sheep movie.
Old 08-30-16, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I've always enjoyed He-Man in years past, and I still enjoy She Ra, so was surprised I didn't get into it this year. I have the Mill Creek Season One set, as well as the 10 episode release, and both BCI releases of Season One of She Ra. I think I just wasn't in the right mood for He Man this time. I might try to watch some more episodes, because I want to finish He Man before I start She Ra.
Old 08-30-16, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

I watched some She-Ra, for the Horde but that was about it. It was a little too close to Strawberry Shortcake, My Little Pony, and Rainbow Brite for me to enjoy.
I have vague recollections of that. But I only saw that one at work somewhat "out the corner of my eye" as I'd be working on commercial production in another part of the room while it was on the air. The guy running master control once made the mistake of telling the rest of us in the Control Room he thought She-Ra/Princess Adora was "hot."
Old 08-30-16, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I have to admit, I was much more into He-Man than She-Ra. I don't remember disliking it, but I know I never watched it regularly...

We're almost to the end of the challenge and it feels like this month flew by! I am down to two marks on the checklist, but I'm not sure I'll finish it just because I don't seem to be in the mood for them. I do have one more film that just came into the library that I hope to squeak in, A Scanner Darkly. Never watched it before, it was on one of the icheckmovies lists, so I thought I'd give it a shot. My goal is to pick it up tomorrow and watch it tomorrow night.

I think I'm going to try to work on the checklist to have it ready for next year this week, so please keep an eye out on this thread while watching for the prize winners and give any suggestions for adding to it or changes you've been wanting. I do plan on making it more "watch x number of films out of y number of options." I don't plan on removing anything at this point, though.

Thanks!
Old 08-30-16, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just a reminder that tomorrow, at dusk, starts the Criterion Challenge and it overlaps this one to Sept. 1 at dawn. Akira was mentioned, but I also believe there are 2 or 3 other films that qualify for both. Fantastic Planet, (which I watched earlier this challenge-it was odd but not too bad. Watchable, though) Fantastic Mr. Fox, and Watership Down are the others that I found that are eligible. Please post here if you spot any others!
Old 08-30-16, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LJG765
Just a reminder that tomorrow, at dusk, starts the Criterion Challenge and it overlaps this one to Sept. 1 at dawn. Akira was mentioned, but I also believe there are 2 or 3 other films that qualify for both. Fantastic Planet, (which I watched earlier this challenge-it was odd but not too bad. Watchable, though) Fantastic Mr. Fox, and Watership Down are the others that I found that are eligible. Please post here if you spot any others!
Under stop motion animation, Jason And The Argonauts is eligible. If I'm home, I plan to use that for my double credit viewing.
Old 08-31-16, 06:44 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Under stop motion animation, Jason And The Argonauts is eligible.
I guess King Kong (1933) is also eligible as a stop motion animation flick.

I thought Criterion released Plague Dogs, but I can't find anything about it.
Old 08-31-16, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TheBigDave

I thought Criterion released Plague Dogs, but I can't find anything about it.
I own King Kong too, but didn't know it was released by Criterion.
Old 08-31-16, 07:07 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

I own King Kong too, but didn't know it was released by Criterion.
It was their second release after Citizen Kane.
Old 08-31-16, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Robocop had baby stop motion Robocops and ED-209.
Old 08-31-16, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Under stop motion animation, Jason And The Argonauts is eligible. If I'm home, I plan to use that for my double credit viewing.
Originally Posted by TheBigDave
And these qualify as well, then!
Old 08-31-16, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A few years ago, I actually managed to snag a used copy of the Criterion Collection Edition of Robocop from Amazon at a decent price.

Don't remember how much animation is in them, but would Monty Python And The Holy Grail, and Life Of Brian also be eligible for double credit. I happen to have the Criterion Collection Edition of Life Of Brian.
Old 08-31-16, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A few years ago, I actually managed to snag a used copy of the Criterion Collection Edition of Robocop from Amazon at a decent price.

Don't remember how much animation is in them, but would Monty Python And The Holy Grail, and Life Of Brian also be eligible for double credit. I happen to have the Criterion Collection Edition of Life Of Brian.
I'm going to say no on that one. I have watched both and the animation is just short bits. It really needs to be at least 50% of the film (or like King Kong, have a major part in the film).
Old 08-31-16, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm going to say no on that one. I have watched both and the animation is just short bits. It really needs to be at least 50% of the film (or like King Kong, have a major part in the film).
I didn't plan to use them anyway. Like I said, I honestly didn't know, since it had been years since I had seen either film.
Old 08-31-16, 01:54 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Going to have to go for double Challenge credit here obviously. Probably Watership Down for me, maybe the commentary track since I watched the film fairly recently.
Old 08-31-16, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Paprika is phenomenal! The visuals were breathtaking - some of the best I've seen during this challenge. In particular there is a fanciful yet menacing parade that weaves its way through the film. Also, the character designs are excellent, feeling both surreal and very human. It's a shame that Satoshi Kon died so young. This film has definitely joined Millennium Actress among my favorite anime features if not my favorite films.
I have the novel PAPRIKA is based on, but I haven't read it yet. I should add that one of my favorite singers, Megumi Hayashibara, does the voice of the main character. She's also the voice of Faye Valentine (Cowboy Bebop), female Ranma (Ranma 1/2), Lina Inverse (Slayers), Rei Ayanami (Neon Genesis Evangelion), Musashi in Pokémon, and dozens of others. Of course you don't hear her voice unless you watch the Japanese-language versions.
Old 08-31-16, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I have the novel PAPRIKA is based on, but I haven't read it yet. I should add that one of my favorite singers, Megumi Hayashibara, does the voice of the main character. She's also the voice of Faye Valentine (Cowboy Bebop), female Ranma (Ranma 1/2), Lina Inverse (Slayers), Rei Ayanami (Neon Genesis Evangelion), Musashi in Pokémon, and dozens of others. Of course you don't hear her voice unless you watch the Japanese-language versions.
Every time you talk anime, I get excited and daunted! I have so much I need to see! I've only watched the English dubs of Cowboy Bebop and Pokémon, and I need to watch the Japanese-language version of the former. I loved that series so very much.

Yesterday evening, I watched The Animatrix for the first time since I saw it a decade ago. It was just as good as I remember, perhaps better. There are imagines from several of the shorts that have stayed with me for years. The look of the neo-noir segment "A Detective Story" fills me with such joy. Also, the trippy visuals of "World Record" and the joyful experiments of the characters in "Beyond" stand out.

Last edited by mrcellophane; 08-31-16 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-31-16, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

I managed to cross a couple DC movies off my list this month, and I ended up watching the bonus episodes and features as well. The features are rich with comics history.

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Every time you talk anime, I get excited and daunted! I have so much I need to see! I've only watched the English dubs of Cowboy Bebop and Pokémon, and I need to watch the Japanese-language version of the former. I loved that series so very much.

Yesterday evening, I watched The Animatrix for the first time since I saw it a decade ago. It was just as good as I remember, perhaps better. There are imagines from several of the shorts that have stayed with me for years. The look of the neo-noir segment "A Detective Story" feels me with such joy. Also, the trippy visuals of "World Record" and the joyful experiments of the characters in "Beyond" also stand out.
I'm sitting on a ton of anime too and keep thinking I'll take a dent out of it some July or August. I just rewatched The Matrix and would like to revisit The Animatrix. I recall the neo-noir piece being a highlight as well.
Old 08-31-16, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Going to have to go for double Challenge credit here obviously. Probably Watership Down for me, maybe the commentary track since I watched the film fairly recently.
I saw this awhile ago and have to admit, while it helps in Sporcle quizzes, it really was not a favorite of mine. Way too bloody for my tastes!

Watched A Scanner Darkly tonight. It was alright but not really my tastes. It's half the topic/half the rotoscope animation. It's never been my favorite type of animation. Oh well.

Tomorrow I'll pick prize winners after the challenge is officially ended at dawn. Keep an eye out for the announcement sometime tomorrow!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.