DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-16, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 464 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Thanks for the heads up. Roku is a veritable treasure trove of movies.
You never know what they'll play on B-Movie TV, and the quality of the video can be anywhere from sub-VHS to DVD. Lots of DTV stuff.

The Monster Channel is another streaming channel I check out now and then. They often play a half-hour themed trailer compilation show. I've seen a couple that were sci-fi themed. They have a schedule on their website, but last time I looked it was a month behind.

I kind of wish I hadn't passed on watching the streaming channels in favor of the on demand channels for so long. As I said, I'm a bit hooked on the surprise element seeing what they play next. It's really eaten into my other movie watching time though, and I have a few borrowed movies here I need to watch. People are starting to ask about their movies.

Last edited by Dimension X; 06-25-16 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-25-16, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
You never know what they'll play on B-Movie TV, and the quality of the video can be anywhere from sub-VHS to DVD. Lots of DTV stuff.

The Monster Channel is another streaming channel. They often play a half-hour themed trailer compilation show. I've seen a couple that were sci-fi themed.

I kind of wish I hadn't passed on watching the streaming channels in favor of the on demand channels for so long. As I said, I'm a bit hooked on the surprise element seeing what they play next. It's really eaten into my other movie watching time though, and I have a few borrowed movies here I need to watch. People are starting to ask about their movies.
Another streaming channel is a collection of channels, Film On TV. I think it's a private channel, and for this challenge, there are a few sci-fi channels, including one of my favorites that plays a lot of Gamera movies, Bloodzillathon.
Old 06-25-16, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 464 Likes on 275 Posts

Another streaming channel is a collection of channels, Film On TV. I think it's a private channel, and for this challenge, there are a few sci-fi channels, including one of my favorites that plays a lot of Gamera movies, Bloodzillathon.
It sounds familiar, but I don't have it now. I might have dumped it when I thought I didn't want streaming channels, just VOD. I'll add it and check it out. I have about 11 minutes to kill before another B-Movie starts.

EDIT: I do have that one already. I've looked at it a couple of times, but it's kind of overwhelming. I need directions. I see "Horror." Are the sci-fi channels in there? I'll give it a closer look if the 10:00 movie doesn't interest me.

Speaking of horror, I think I'll probably use the roku a lot this Oct. I didn't have it last October.

Last edited by Dimension X; 06-25-16 at 08:56 AM.
Old 06-25-16, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dimension X
It sounds familiar, but I don't have it now. I might have dumped it when I thought I didn't want streaming channels, just VOD. I'll add it and check it out. I have about 11 minutes to kill before another B-Movie starts.

EDIT: I do have that one already. I've looked at it a couple of times, but it's kind of overwhelming. I need directions. I see "Horror." Are the sci-fi channels in there? I'll give it a closer look if the 10:00 movie doesn't interest me.

Speaking of horror, I think I'll probably use the roku a lot this Oct. I didn't have it last October.
I think they are under movies.

Edit:

I also have Film On on my phone and tablet.

Last edited by shadokitty; 06-25-16 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-25-16, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 660 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
How does the Battlestar Galactica (2004) series hold up?

I haven't seen it yet and was thinking about watching it for the challenge. But then I noticed it's 75 episodes (+2 movies). That'll take up most of the month and won't leave much time for other movies.

So is it still one of the best sci-fi shows ever, or was it overhyped? Are all four seasons worth watching? Or does it fall apart in later seasons?
I very much enjoyed the entire series both during the original airings and the single time I've watched my DVDs. There is a part of S3 (I believe) where it got a bit "iffy" with the overall plot lines but it *did* get better (being vague so as not to give anything away). I wasn't upset over the ending like many were although I *did* see it coming several episodes before it happened. I felt it was actually a pretty good end. I *do* like it much better than the original series.

Yes, I own both and have the original on BR - haven't upgraded the remake yet. I still need to watch the new one on DVD to see if it looks "good enough" on the HDTV - my original series DVD set had playback issues (crappy Uni DV18 flippers) and I got a new BR copy of the "Ultimate" version for ~$23 - yes, the one with both FS and WS discs along with Galactica 1980 (which I've never seen - that BR set is still unwatched although I *did* open it to see if it had the "bad" disc so I could get it replaced - it did and I got a replacement disc).
Old 06-26-16, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm just curious, as it doesn't matter to me one way or another, but I know alien shows count, so does that mean monster shows, like the ones on Destination America count too?
Old 06-26-16, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I might try this challenge. I'll probably mix movies with tv shows, so I don't burn myself out on either one.

For tv, I might watch that Xena set that recently came out, the newer Outer Limits series, or Star Wars: The Clone Wars. I'm also thinking about digging out the Twilight Zone that stars Mickey Rooney to listen to the commentary because I heard Mickey was a giant grouch during it.

Is it just me or is the original Outer Limits not all that great? I started watching season 1 and while there were some decent episodes, there was a lot more duds and I stopped watching it. I recall having a better time with the series from the 90s.

For movies, I'll just grab whatever seems good at the time from my unwatched pile. I recently started keeping them in an actual pile to force myself to watch them instead of putting them on a shelf and forgetting about them for years.
Old 06-27-16, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm just curious, as it doesn't matter to me one way or another, but I know alien shows count, so does that mean monster shows, like the ones on Destination America count too?
Haven't watched those, but as long as they have a sci-fi or fantasy tag, they'll count. If they don't and you do watch them, you do have 3 wildcards you could use for them.
Old 06-27-16, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I might try this challenge. I'll probably mix movies with tv shows, so I don't burn myself out on either one.

For tv, I might watch that Xena set that recently came out, the newer Outer Limits series, or Star Wars: The Clone Wars. I'm also thinking about digging out the Twilight Zone that stars Mickey Rooney to listen to the commentary because I heard Mickey was a giant grouch during it.
There ya go... reading my mind again!!

I've already lined up Xena and Stargate SG1 for a couple of the TV series I'll use for "filler" or late evening viewings. I'm also leaning towards the original Battlestar Galactica BR set since it's sitting there staring at me for a viewing... My grandson wants to watch that one with me and since I get off work early during the summer months I think we can get in a episode or two a day.
Is it just me or is the original Outer Limits not all that great? I started watching season 1 and while there were some decent episodes, there was a lot more duds and I stopped watching it. I recall having a better time with the series from the 90s.
It's just you... I *love* the original Outer Limits - even those "dud" episodes. But then I watched many of them as a kid during the original run so there's quite a bit of nostalgia at work there. I must admit that I thought the idea of a "remake" was horrible but picked up those "Best of" sets and really enjoyed the ones I've watched so far (a couple of the discs). Enough so that I've purchased S1, S2, and S7 with a eye towards the other seasons as funds/pricing allow. They, too, are in the unopened piles just waiting...

For movies, I'll just grab whatever seems good at the time from my unwatched pile. I recently started keeping them in an actual pile to force myself to watch them instead of putting them on a shelf and forgetting about them for years.
I have a bunch of movies I've picked up this year just itching to be watched. Some are BR upgrades but most are new acquisitions (although not all will be first time viewings).

Mine are scattered in 6-8 different piles (my wife asked if I was building a wall of DVDs) and I need to go through them and get the genres back together again. I *try* to keep the different genres in separate piles but if one starts to get too high I just dump 'em on a shorter one with no regard as to genre. It doesn't take long for them to get totally unorganized... again...
Old 06-27-16, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

How does the Battlestar Galactica (2004) series hold up?

I haven't seen it yet and was thinking about watching it for the challenge. But then I noticed it's 75 episodes (+2 movies). That'll take up most of the month and won't leave much time for other movies.

So is it still one of the best sci-fi shows ever, or was it overhyped? Are all four seasons worth watching? Or does it fall apart in later seasons?
I've only watched it in its entirety twice in quick succession and loved it both times. I haven't revisited it in years, and several friends are convinced that I won't be as enthusiastic about it when I do. A bit of context: I loved this series when I watched. I would hear no argument against it and found the entire show a joy to watch - start to finish.
Old 06-27-16, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
There ya go... reading my mind again!!

I've already lined up Xena and Stargate SG1 for a couple of the TV series I'll use for "filler" or late evening viewings. I'm also leaning towards the original Battlestar Galactica BR set since it's sitting there staring at me for a viewing... My grandson wants to watch that one with me and since I get off work early during the summer months I think we can get in a episode or two a day.
I went through that set earlier this year and liked it. Later in the series when they were on Earth, there was an episode starring the witch from Dark Shadows dressed up as a vampire for a Halloween party.

There was also preview for the new series/movie that looked good, with the cylons doing all the manual labor until they turn against us but then it looks like most of it ends up taking place in space. I'd love to see a rise of the machines type deal over outer space battles, especially with the cgi they were showing.
Old 06-27-16, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,041 Likes on 858 Posts

I loved the new Battlestar Galactica. When people ask if they should watch it, I always suggest watching the miniseries that kicked it off. If you're not hooked by then, it may not be for you.
Old 06-27-16, 10:21 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I loved the new Battlestar Galactica. When people ask if they should watch it, I always suggest watching the miniseries that kicked it off. If you're not hooked by then, it may not be for you.
Oddly enough, I hated the miniseries. But after hearing all the hype I went ahead and watched the first episode (was it called "33" ?) and fell madly in love.
Old 06-28-16, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just wanted to let people know the checklist is finalized. I'll put it into spoilers here but I have updated the lists in the first post of this thread and also the first post of the list thread.

Not discussed but changed: I removed Alan Rickman from the actors list as he is now in the "He's Dead, Jim" list. Also, I kept Scarlett Johansson and Harrison Ford in the actors list. Johansson because I do feel like there is already more men actors than women, and she is fairly prolific in the sci-fi genre. I kept Ford, well, because I like him. If someone really objects, well, I'll consider them for removal next year.

I also adjusted a couple of the numbers of how many you have to watch. Nothing drastic.

Oh, please let me know if something got changed or spelled wrong that I missed. Proofreading while tired isn't the most helpful...

Spoiler:
*Watching enough shorts or TV to count as one entry, you can use that one entry as a check on the checklist, as long as each of them count for whatever you're checking. You can mix and match what you've seen to make a check, they all don't have to be grouped together as a single entry on your watch list.

3 Wildcards allowed

Watch one film from every decade, starting with the 1900s.
--- 1900(No time limit but must be at least complete short film) - (optional)
--- 1910(No time limit but must be at least complete short film) - (optional)
--- 1920 -
--- 1930 -
--- 1940 -
--- 1950 -
--- 1960 -
--- 1970 -
--- 1980 -
--- 1990 -
--- 2000 -
--- 2010 -

Watch films in at least two languages other than English.
--- First language -
--- Second language -

Watch a film in 12 of the following:
--- Watch a MST3K/Rifftrax/Cinematic Titanic/Hosted version of a sci-fi/fantasy film -
--- Watch a film featuring laser blasters -
--- Watch a film made on a low budget (ex. Corman or Castle movie) -
--- Watch a film based on a novel -
--- Watch a film which was nominated for a Hugo or Saturn Award-
--- Watch a Documentary Feature -
--- Watch a Film From the Criterion Collection (Doesn't have to be Criterion Version) -
--- Watch a film with commentary -
--- Watch a film and at least two sequels -
--- Watch a film that takes place underneath the Earth -
--- Watch a film that takes place in space -
--- Watch a film that takes place on or under the sea -
--- Watch an animated film -
--- Watch a film with special effects by Ray Harryhausen -
--- Watch a film that takes place in the "future" but the year has already come and gone -
--- Watch a film and its remake/reboot

He's dead, Jim. Watch 5 out of the following:
--- Written by/inspired by/or related in some way to the late Gene Roddenberry -
--- Written by/inspired by/or related in some way to the late Ray Bradbury -
--- Written by/inspired by/or related in some way to the late Phillip K. Dick -
--- Written by/inspired by/or related in some way to the late Edgar Rice Burroughs -
--- Written by/inspired by/or related in some way to the late Jules Verne -
--- Written by/inspired by/or related in some way to the late HP Lovecraft -
--- Written by/inspired by/or related in some way to the late Richard Matheson -
--- Watch a film starring Christopher Lee -
--- Watch a film starring Alan Rickman -
--- Watch a film starring Anton Yelchin -

Watch 12 films directed/produced/written by:
--- James Cameron -
--- Steven Spielberg -
--- Terry Gilliam -
--- Tim Burton -
--- Hayao Miyazaki -
--- David Cronenberg -
--- James Whale -
--- Ridley Scott -
--- Paul Verhoeven -
--- Robert Wise -
--- Robert Zemeckis -
--- The Wachowskis -
--- Jerry Warren -
--- J. J. Abrams -
--- Samuel Z. Arkoff -
--- David Twohy -
--- Richard Fleischer -
--- William Cameron Menzies -
--- Kevin Connor -
--- Alex Proyas -
--- Fritz Lang -
--- George Melies -
--- George Miller -
--- George Lucas -
--- John Carpenter -
--- Luc Besson -

Watch a film for each rating
--- G -
--- PG -
--- PG-13 -
--- R -
--- X/NC-17(Optional) -
--- Unrated -

Watch a film in 28 of the following subgenres:
--- Alien invasion -
--- Horror
--- Dystopian Society -
--- Post-Apocalyptic -
--- Alternate History -
--- Robot/Android -
--- Immortality -
--- Space Opera/Serial -
--- Mutants (non-critter) -
--- Comic Book -
--- Mad Scientist -
--- Comedy -
--- Time travel -
--- Giant Critters -
--- Prehistoric -
--- Paranormal -
--- Kaiju -
--- Tech Noir -
--- First Contact -
--- Space Soldiers -
--- Magical Beings -
--- Future Crimes -
--- Animalcadabra -
--- Myths & Legends -
--- Worst Movie Ever -
--- Arthurian Fantasy -
--- Based on fairy tale -
--- Urban Fantasy -
--- High Fantasy -
--- Sword and Sorcery -
--- Dark Fantasy -
--- Martial Arts Fantasy -
--- Disaster -
Not sure what qualifies? Check here for a description http://www.wattpad.com/3632123-fanta...sci-fi-fantasy

Watch a film starring 20 of the following actors:
--- James McAvoy
--- David Warner
--- Edward James Olmos
--- Sir Ian McKellen
--- Liv Tyler
--- Peter Dinklage
--- Charlize Theron
--- Julianne Moore
--- Peter Jason
--- Zoe Saldana
--- Ian Holm
--- Boris Karloff
--- Gary Oldman
--- Lionel Atwill
--- Evelyn Ankers
--- Abbott & Costello
--- Peter Graves
--- Hugh Marlowe
--- Hugh Jackman
--- Susan Cabot
--- Keanu Reeves
--- Tommy Kirk
--- Raquel Welch
--- Will Smith
--- Roddy McDowall
--- Arnold Schwarzenegger
--- Kurt Russell
--- Sigourney Weaver
--- Vincent Price
--- Milla Jovovich
--- Arthur Franz
--- Doug McClure
--- Harrison Ford
--- Andy Serkis
--- Charleton Heston
--- Nick Frost
--- Morgan Freeman
--- Michelle Forbes
--- Michelle Rodriguez
--- Keith David
--- Scarlett Johansson
--- Patrick Stewart
--- Christopher Lloyd
--- Peter Weller
--- Brian Thompson
--- Kenneth Tobey
--- Faith Domergue
--- Akira Takarada
Old 06-28-16, 04:22 AM

Received 518 Likes on 373 Posts

I think I'll just plan on watching the first season of Battlestar Galactica (2004). If I like it, maybe I'll do two seasons. But I don't think I'll try for the whole series. That way I'll have time for movies and other shows.
Old 06-28-16, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I'll just plan on watching the first season of Battlestar Galactica (2004). If I like it, maybe I'll do two seasons. But I don't think I'll try for the whole series. That way I'll have time for movies and other shows.
Amazon UK has a pretty good price on the region free BR set (£25.00 after VAT is removed) and with the exchange rate pretty good right now (~£1.33857 against $1 according to XE.com) it's ~$38 shipped to the US. It also appears to come in standard BR cases rather than the cardboard things in the US release. Because of that I started rewatching my DVD set last night to see if it's "bad enough" to warrant a double-dip. So far I'm pleased with the DVD quality and am leaning against the double-dip upgrade but enjoyed the miniseries enough (again) that I plan to continue with S1 in spite of also participating in the Historical Challenge.

Spoiler:

Hmmm... considering how it ends, could it be considered "history?"

No... I'm not serious.

So... looks like I might be watching *both* series concurrently. *That* should be interesting.
Old 06-28-16, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 84 Likes on 47 Posts
Re: The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Disscusion Thread

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
There were two direct remakes of ISLAND OF LOST SOULS, both entitled THE ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU, one from 1977 with Burt Lancaster and one from 1996 with Marlon Brando. Which one did you see?
Surely not "remakes" but subsequent adaptations of the HG Wells novel..?
Old 06-28-16, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Disscusion Thread

Originally Posted by ntnon
Surely not "remakes" but subsequent adaptations of the HG Wells novel..?
Fair enough. I have the Wells novel and one of these days I'll get around to reading it.
Old 06-28-16, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just a couple more days until the challenge starts! Sounds like people are getting their watch lists ready! I have to admit, I'm going to play it by ear this year, at least for the first week or so. I won't get a chance to start until late Friday or Saturday as I'll be traveling home, but am eager to get started myself!

I've just finalized the prizes with GoldenWheels (HamiltonBooks) and have to say, I think this is one of the most generous prize packages I've seen! GoldenWheels is contributing several bonus prizes and I hope that they'll catch more than my eye...

I'll post them either later tonight or tomorrow afternoon once I get a bit more time to sit down and get all the info in one spot.
Old 06-28-16, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LJG765
Just a couple more days until the challenge starts! Sounds like people are getting their watch lists ready! I have to admit, I'm going to play it by ear this year, at least for the first week or so. I won't get a chance to start until late Friday or Saturday as I'll be traveling home, but am eager to get started myself!

I've just finalized the prizes with GoldenWheels (HamiltonBooks) and have to say, I think this is one of the most generous prize packages I've seen! GoldenWheels is contributing several bonus prizes and I hope that they'll catch more than my eye...

I'll post them either later tonight or tomorrow afternoon once I get a bit more time to sit down and get all the info in one spot.
I know I've been counting the days
Old 06-29-16, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No checklisting for me this year. I was fortunate to win a prize last year. Plus, I would like to catch up on some TV shows like Agents of SHIELD and Heroes Reborn.
Old 06-29-16, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by popcorn
No checklisting for me this year. I was fortunate to win a prize last year. Plus, I would like to catch up on some TV shows like Agents of SHIELD and Heroes Reborn.
I always do the checklist with the understanding that I'm not going to finish it. I think I finished one of the less intense lists for one challenge, but never the huge one for this challenge.

I'm leaving tomorrow to visit friends (and some family) for an extended weekend of fruity cocktails, board games, and outdoor theater, so I'm going to get off to a very slow start. All of this talk of Battlestar Galactica has me in the mood to do a rewatch over the month. I'll also continue watching Star Trek: Voyager which is going to get really good - I just know it!

Other than that, my only real plans are to finally watch some of the film franchise boxsets I've acquired. I still have lots of Matrix and Alien films to get through!
Old 06-29-16, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm in for BSG as well!
Old 06-29-16, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm going to bounce between different series over the month, and watch whatever movies strike my fancy at the time. I just can't wait. I can't believe only one more day. I might start more UFO documentaries or Prophets of Science Fiction during the Historical Challenge to whet my appetite.
Old 06-29-16, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

This and the B-Movie challenge are where I can hit my unwatched pile pretty hard! I just have to not let myself get distracted by new stuff, or streaming stuff too much. It's also a great chance to put a dent in my 3D Blu-Ray content as well. This'll be my first year with a 3D set up at home. When I finally had all the pieces I already had about 50 3D titles!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.