Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Old 08-04-16, 05:22 PM
  #601  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,063
Received 116 Likes on 69 Posts
Re: The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by LJG765
And we are down to one person needing to claim (ntnon!)

...
That leaves prize pack 2, Sci-Fi Movie Freak, Science Fiction: The Fantastic Chronicle of Movie Posters, Mystery Science Theater 3000: Volume II.
Excellent! Sounds good, thank you.
Old 08-04-16, 09:10 PM
  #602  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
LJG765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,986
Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Congrats to ntnon who just claimed the last prize pack. #2:
1. Sci-Fi Movie Freak
2. Science Fiction: The Fantastic Chronicle of Movie Posters
3. Mystery Science Theater 3000: Volume II!

Originally Posted by ntnon
Excellent! Sounds good, thank you.
Thanks to everyone for a great challenge and I hope to see you all next year!
Old 08-05-16, 01:31 PM
  #603  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
LJG765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,986
Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Hey, ntnon, please check your private messages! Thanks!
Old 08-08-16, 12:49 PM
  #604  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
GoldenWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,291
Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts
Re: The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

All prizes went out Friday, sorry I didn't update here! Congrats to those who won, thanks to LJG for running the challenge!
Old 08-08-16, 07:51 PM
  #605  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
LJG765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,986
Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
All prizes went out Friday, sorry I didn't update here! Congrats to those who won, thanks to LJG for running the challenge!
Awesome! Thank you for being so generous!
Old 08-08-16, 08:04 PM
  #606  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 316
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Thanks for a great challenge, LJG765, and, as always, thanks for the great prizes GoldenWheels!
Old 08-08-16, 09:19 PM
  #607  
DVD Talk Legend
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 10,573
Received 718 Likes on 513 Posts
Re: The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I actually started a "new" series right before the end. Something made me think of Babylon 5 and what it might look like on my HD set so I got out S1 and started watching. Surprisingly it looks very good!...
Well... I spoke too soon! I've now seen all of S1 and part of S2. While there *are* episodes which look very good there are just as many which have lots of noise/grain present on many shots. From what I've read about the show and its trip to home media it was the rather lax method used. When it was transferred they just used a DVE (digital video effects) process on the broadcast versions to "blow up" or "stretch" the video to fit the screen rather than crop/upscale. The producers intended it to be cropped and upscaled (it was shot open matte, on Super 35mm film, so it could be released as WS later by cropping the image although the original TV run was 4:3). It really needs to see a remaster and rereleased as the producers intended.
Old 08-10-16, 01:15 PM
  #608  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 53,045
Received 1,083 Likes on 891 Posts
Re: The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

B5 has long been on my to-watch list, and I've started the first season twice without finishing. I'm told it's totally worth getting through that first season, and I think I might need to just suck it up and watch it someday regardless of challenge month.

Right now I'm having a Harry Potter marathon because of the recent Sheep game, for no credit. I'm enjoying the movies, though.
Old 08-10-16, 02:14 PM
  #609  
DVD Talk Legend
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 10,573
Received 718 Likes on 513 Posts
Re: The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by davidh777
B5 has long been on my to-watch list, and I've started the first season twice without finishing. I'm told it's totally worth getting through that first season, and I think I might need to just suck it up and watch it someday regardless of challenge month.
I'd forgotten just how many "big reveals" there are in the first part of S2. And the mystery gets deeper with those reveals, not less. My grandson has been watching some of it and I'm having to fill in the blanks for the episodes he misses. It's really annoying as there have been a few that answer some of his questions so I've just stopped to let him watch that one with me. It's throwing off my pace... but at least he's watching some SF with me.
Old 08-10-16, 06:43 PM
  #610  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,406
Received 175 Likes on 132 Posts
Re: The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Now that I got my Blu Ray of The Force Awakens, I'm considering doing a rewatch of the Star Wars movies.
Old 08-11-16, 03:39 PM
  #611  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,298
Received 220 Likes on 133 Posts
Re: The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
All prizes went out Friday, sorry I didn't update here! Congrats to those who won, thanks to LJG for running the challenge!
My prize package arrived today, full of fiery turtle goodness! Thanks again to LJG765 and Golden Wheels!
Old 08-11-16, 04:00 PM
  #612  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,406
Received 175 Likes on 132 Posts
Re: The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Gobear
My prize package arrived today, full of fiery turtle goodness! Thanks again to LJG765 and Golden Wheels!
Great choice GoBear. I have the MST3K set, and War Of The Monsters.
Old 08-12-16, 11:31 AM
  #613  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mister Peepers
Posts: 7,882
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

It's a couple months late but Comet TV is going to have a Godzilla marathon on labor day
http://www.comettv.com/this-month/

live stream of the channel
http://www.comettv.com/watch-live/
Old 08-12-16, 01:50 PM
  #614  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 827
Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Re: The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

I'm late with this, but thanks for a great challenge LGJ765 and thanks for being so generous Golden Wheels!
Old 08-12-16, 02:13 PM
  #615  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 36,891
Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts
Re: The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
It's a couple months late but Comet TV is going to have a Godzilla marathon on labor day
http://www.comettv.com/this-month/

live stream of the channel
http://www.comettv.com/watch-live/
Well, at least the first film will count for the September Challenge!
Old 08-12-16, 03:27 PM
  #616  
DVD Talk Legend
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 10,573
Received 718 Likes on 513 Posts
Re: The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

My prize package arrived today! WooHoo! Stuff for October's Horror Challenge!

Thanks again, Goldenwheels!
Old 08-14-16, 06:04 AM
  #617  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,406
Received 175 Likes on 132 Posts
Re: The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

A little late for the challenge, but tonight on the History Channel, there is a special for the 50th anniversary of Star Trek if anyone is interested.
Old 08-14-16, 08:25 AM
  #618  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12,686
Received 296 Likes on 227 Posts
Re: The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by shadokitty
A little late for the challenge, but tonight on the History Channel, there is a special for the 50th anniversary of Star Trek if anyone is interested.
Thanks for the heads-up.

(Now if only I can figure out which channel number on my cable system applies to the History Channel.)
Old 08-14-16, 08:52 AM
  #619  
DVD Talk Legend
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 10,573
Received 718 Likes on 513 Posts
Re: The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by shadokitty
A little late for the challenge, but tonight on the History Channel, there is a special for the 50th anniversary of Star Trek if anyone is interested.
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Thanks for the heads-up.

(Now if only I can figure out which channel number on my cable system applies to the History Channel.)
Ditto - on both!

The cable system here just changed all the channels to new ones (went all digital to force *everyone* to have to get one of their boxes even if you have a digital set). Since I watch a hour or so a month I'll have to get out the paper they sent showing where everything landed.
Old 08-15-16, 11:38 AM
  #620  
DVD Talk Legend
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 10,573
Received 718 Likes on 513 Posts
Re: The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

I rather enjoyed that History Channel Star Trek Anniversary special. I was all set to give it a pass when they showed Abrams and Pegg early on as it looked like it'd be more a huge promotional piece for those reimagined universe films rather than a true homage to the originals. I'm glad I stuck around. Overall it was quite good and entertaining. And relegating the new films to a roughly 5 minute bit at the end was fitting, although I could have done without them being mentioned at all as, IMHO, they truly don't belong in the Trek Universe created by Roddenberry.

I *did* stay annoyed at the method they used when showing older 4:3 material. Just pillarbox it for goodness' sake! we don't need distorted side-field crap in that area to fill up our WS sets! I found it far more distracting than "helpful."

The interview segments with Nimoy were wonderful! As were the segments with Nichols and Koenig. I kept wishing they'd have found a way to include Shatner and Takei. Of course they may have approached the pair and were declined. Considering how Takei was treated with the recent movie I can see him wanting to distance himself from a new production possibly fearing the producers would want to focus more on that than with the original series and films. The Okuda's were also noticeably missing (or did I just miss a short segment with them?).

And was it just me or did this not seem to have as many commercials as other History Channel productions? I felt like I got far more program than normal.

This being the 50th anniversary year I'm currently planning to track the days and watch the correct episode on the correct day and time as often as possible. The premier date, September 8th, was on a Thursday in 1966 and is on Thursday this year making it more special. For that 1966 year I'm even considering watching the correct Batman and F-Troop episodes going in and That Girl coming out of Star Trek since that's what I watched that night in that year.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 08-15-16 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-15-16, 11:54 AM
  #621  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,406
Received 175 Likes on 132 Posts
Re: The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I rather enjoyed that History Channel Star Trek Anniversary special. I was all set to give it a pass when they showed Abrams and Pegg early on as it looked like it'd be more a huge promotional piece for those reimagined universe films rather than a true homage to the originals. I'm glad I stuck around. Overall it was quite good and entertaining. And relegating the new films to a roughly 5 minute bit at the end was fitting, although I could have done without them being mentioned at all as, IMHO, they truly don't belong in the Trek Universe created by Roddenberry.

I *did* stay annoyed at the method they used when showing older 4:3 material. Just pillarbox it for goodness' sake! we don't need distorted side-field crap in that area to fill up our WS sets! I found it far more distracting than "helpful."

The interview segments with Nimoy were wonderful! As were the segments with Nichols and Koenig. I kept wishing they'd have found a way to include Shatner and Takei. Of course they may have approached the pair and were declined. Considering how Takei was treated with the recent movie I can see him wanting to distance himself from a new production possibly fearing the producers would want to focus more on that than with the original series and films. The Okuda's were also noticeably missing (or did I just miss a short segment with them?).

And was it just me or did this not seem to have as many commercials as other History Channel productions? I felt like I got far more program than normal.

This being the 50th anniversary year I'm currently planning to track the days and watch the correct episode on the correct day and time as often as possible. The premier date, September 8th, was on a Thursday in 1966 and is on Thursday this year making it more special. For that 1966 year I'm even considering watching the correct Batman and F-Troop episodes going in and That Girl coming out of Star Trek since that's what I watched that night in that year.

I'm sick with a felon, and it started last night, so missed it, but I can catch it on demand on Sling TV. Now if only Sling would fix On Demand on the Roku. I can only watch On Demand on my tablet.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.