The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Old 08-04-16, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 116 Likes on 69 Posts
Re: The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by LJG765
And we are down to one person needing to claim (ntnon!)

That leaves prize pack 2, Sci-Fi Movie Freak, Science Fiction: The Fantastic Chronicle of Movie Posters, Mystery Science Theater 3000: Volume II.
Excellent! Sounds good, thank you.
Old 08-04-16, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Congrats to ntnon who just claimed the last prize pack. #2:
1. Sci-Fi Movie Freak
2. Science Fiction: The Fantastic Chronicle of Movie Posters
3. Mystery Science Theater 3000: Volume II!

Originally Posted by ntnon
Excellent! Sounds good, thank you.
Thanks to everyone for a great challenge and I hope to see you all next year!
Old 08-05-16, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey, ntnon, please check your private messages! Thanks!
Old 08-08-16, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

All prizes went out Friday, sorry I didn't update here! Congrats to those who won, thanks to LJG for running the challenge!
Old 08-08-16, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
All prizes went out Friday, sorry I didn't update here! Congrats to those who won, thanks to LJG for running the challenge!
Awesome! Thank you for being so generous!
Old 08-08-16, 08:04 PM

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for a great challenge, LJG765, and, as always, thanks for the great prizes GoldenWheels!
Old 08-08-16, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I actually started a "new" series right before the end. Something made me think of Babylon 5 and what it might look like on my HD set so I got out S1 and started watching. Surprisingly it looks very good!...
Well... I spoke too soon! I've now seen all of S1 and part of S2. While there *are* episodes which look very good there are just as many which have lots of noise/grain present on many shots. From what I've read about the show and its trip to home media it was the rather lax method used. When it was transferred they just used a DVE (digital video effects) process on the broadcast versions to "blow up" or "stretch" the video to fit the screen rather than crop/upscale. The producers intended it to be cropped and upscaled (it was shot open matte, on Super 35mm film, so it could be released as WS later by cropping the image although the original TV run was 4:3). It really needs to see a remaster and rereleased as the producers intended.
Old 08-10-16, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,083 Likes on 891 Posts

B5 has long been on my to-watch list, and I've started the first season twice without finishing. I'm told it's totally worth getting through that first season, and I think I might need to just suck it up and watch it someday regardless of challenge month.

Right now I'm having a Harry Potter marathon because of the recent Sheep game, for no credit. I'm enjoying the movies, though.
Old 08-10-16, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
B5 has long been on my to-watch list, and I've started the first season twice without finishing. I'm told it's totally worth getting through that first season, and I think I might need to just suck it up and watch it someday regardless of challenge month.
I'd forgotten just how many "big reveals" there are in the first part of S2. And the mystery gets deeper with those reveals, not less. My grandson has been watching some of it and I'm having to fill in the blanks for the episodes he misses. It's really annoying as there have been a few that answer some of his questions so I've just stopped to let him watch that one with me. It's throwing off my pace... but at least he's watching some SF with me.
Old 08-10-16, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 175 Likes on 132 Posts

Now that I got my Blu Ray of The Force Awakens, I'm considering doing a rewatch of the Star Wars movies.
Old 08-11-16, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 220 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
My prize package arrived today, full of fiery turtle goodness! Thanks again to LJG765 and Golden Wheels!
Old 08-11-16, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Gobear
My prize package arrived today, full of fiery turtle goodness! Thanks again to LJG765 and Golden Wheels!
Great choice GoBear. I have the MST3K set, and War Of The Monsters.
Old 08-12-16, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a couple months late but Comet TV is going to have a Godzilla marathon on labor day
http://www.comettv.com/this-month/

live stream of the channel
http://www.comettv.com/watch-live/
Old 08-12-16, 01:50 PM

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm late with this, but thanks for a great challenge LGJ765 and thanks for being so generous Golden Wheels!
Old 08-12-16, 02:13 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
It's a couple months late but Comet TV is going to have a Godzilla marathon on labor day
http://www.comettv.com/this-month/

live stream of the channel
http://www.comettv.com/watch-live/
Well, at least the first film will count for the September Challenge!
Old 08-12-16, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My prize package arrived today! WooHoo! Stuff for October's Horror Challenge!

Thanks again, Goldenwheels!
Old 08-14-16, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A little late for the challenge, but tonight on the History Channel, there is a special for the 50th anniversary of Star Trek if anyone is interested.
Old 08-14-16, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 296 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
A little late for the challenge, but tonight on the History Channel, there is a special for the 50th anniversary of Star Trek if anyone is interested.
Thanks for the heads-up.

(Now if only I can figure out which channel number on my cable system applies to the History Channel.)
Old 08-14-16, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Thanks for the heads-up.

(Now if only I can figure out which channel number on my cable system applies to the History Channel.)
Ditto - on both!

The cable system here just changed all the channels to new ones (went all digital to force *everyone* to have to get one of their boxes even if you have a digital set). Since I watch a hour or so a month I'll have to get out the paper they sent showing where everything landed.
Old 08-15-16, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I rather enjoyed that History Channel Star Trek Anniversary special. I was all set to give it a pass when they showed Abrams and Pegg early on as it looked like it'd be more a huge promotional piece for those reimagined universe films rather than a true homage to the originals. I'm glad I stuck around. Overall it was quite good and entertaining. And relegating the new films to a roughly 5 minute bit at the end was fitting, although I could have done without them being mentioned at all as, IMHO, they truly don't belong in the Trek Universe created by Roddenberry.

I *did* stay annoyed at the method they used when showing older 4:3 material. Just pillarbox it for goodness' sake! we don't need distorted side-field crap in that area to fill up our WS sets! I found it far more distracting than "helpful."

The interview segments with Nimoy were wonderful! As were the segments with Nichols and Koenig. I kept wishing they'd have found a way to include Shatner and Takei. Of course they may have approached the pair and were declined. Considering how Takei was treated with the recent movie I can see him wanting to distance himself from a new production possibly fearing the producers would want to focus more on that than with the original series and films. The Okuda's were also noticeably missing (or did I just miss a short segment with them?).

And was it just me or did this not seem to have as many commercials as other History Channel productions? I felt like I got far more program than normal.

This being the 50th anniversary year I'm currently planning to track the days and watch the correct episode on the correct day and time as often as possible. The premier date, September 8th, was on a Thursday in 1966 and is on Thursday this year making it more special. For that 1966 year I'm even considering watching the correct Batman and F-Troop episodes going in and That Girl coming out of Star Trek since that's what I watched that night in that year.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 08-15-16 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-15-16, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I rather enjoyed that History Channel Star Trek Anniversary special. I was all set to give it a pass when they showed Abrams and Pegg early on as it looked like it'd be more a huge promotional piece for those reimagined universe films rather than a true homage to the originals. I'm glad I stuck around. Overall it was quite good and entertaining. And relegating the new films to a roughly 5 minute bit at the end was fitting, although I could have done without them being mentioned at all as, IMHO, they truly don't belong in the Trek Universe created by Roddenberry.

I *did* stay annoyed at the method they used when showing older 4:3 material. Just pillarbox it for goodness' sake! we don't need distorted side-field crap in that area to fill up our WS sets! I found it far more distracting than "helpful."

The interview segments with Nimoy were wonderful! As were the segments with Nichols and Koenig. I kept wishing they'd have found a way to include Shatner and Takei. Of course they may have approached the pair and were declined. Considering how Takei was treated with the recent movie I can see him wanting to distance himself from a new production possibly fearing the producers would want to focus more on that than with the original series and films. The Okuda's were also noticeably missing (or did I just miss a short segment with them?).

And was it just me or did this not seem to have as many commercials as other History Channel productions? I felt like I got far more program than normal.

This being the 50th anniversary year I'm currently planning to track the days and watch the correct episode on the correct day and time as often as possible. The premier date, September 8th, was on a Thursday in 1966 and is on Thursday this year making it more special. For that 1966 year I'm even considering watching the correct Batman and F-Troop episodes going in and That Girl coming out of Star Trek since that's what I watched that night in that year.

I'm sick with a felon, and it started last night, so missed it, but I can catch it on demand on Sling TV. Now if only Sling would fix On Demand on the Roku. I can only watch On Demand on my tablet.