DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-16, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts
Re: The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Disscusion Thread

Originally Posted by brainee
If anyone wants to watch a great pre-code movie that does fall under sci-fi ... for the last Halloween challenge I saw the 1931 version of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde for the first time. I was really impressed by how visceral it was.

Island of Lost Souls is another great one from that time. Even after all this time, I think they're both the best movie adaptations of their respective classic novels.
Ditto on both of those as well. What stuns me about ISLAND is that the director, Erle C. Kenton, never made another film that comes close. Which makes me wonder who the real auteur on that was. If you've never seen it, you should. The studio creation of that island and all these weird creatures running around it was just incredible as is the makeup job on all the actors playing the beasts-turned-men.
Old 06-18-16, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

If anyone wants to watch a great pre-code movie that does fall under sci-fi ... for the last Halloween challenge I saw the 1931 version of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde for the first time. I was really impressed by how visceral it was.

Island of Lost Souls is another great one from that time. Even after all this time, I think they're both the best movie adaptations of their respective classic novels.
Originally Posted by BobO'Link
^I'll second both of those. They're great films. Island of Lost Souls (1932) is one of my all-time-favorite films and still disturbing: "Are we not men?"
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Ditto on both of those as well. What stuns me about ISLAND is that the director, Erle C. Kenton, never made another film that comes close. Which makes me wonder who the real auteur on that was. If you've never seen it, you should. The studio creation of that island and all these weird creatures running around it was just incredible as is the makeup job on all the actors playing the beasts-turned-men.
From the sound of it Island of Lost Souls reminds me of when I watched The Island of Dr. Moreau for this challenge a year or two ago.
Old 06-19-16, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I know we've gone away from the topic, but I was discussing the Tarzan films with someone and they had a couple good points, so I'm going to change my ruling. I'm going to make an exception for the Tarzan films so that they can be watched for the challenge, however, they won't count for the check list. I think that's fair. You can still watch them and get credit. Hope this helps!
Old 06-20-16, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shadokitty
From the sound of it Island of Lost Souls reminds me of when I watched The Island of Dr. Moreau for this challenge a year or two ago.
There were two direct remakes of ISLAND OF LOST SOULS, both entitled THE ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU, one from 1977 with Burt Lancaster and one from 1996 with Marlon Brando. Which one did you see?

And there's recently been a documentary (I forget the title) about a failed initial version of the second remake.
Old 06-20-16, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There were two direct remakes of ISLAND OF LOST SOULS, both entitled THE ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU, one from 1977 with Burt Lancaster and one from 1996 with Marlon Brando. Which one did you see?

And there's recently been a documentary (I forget the title) about a failed initial version of the second remake.
I think I saw the one with Marlon Brando.
Old 06-20-16, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I think I saw the one with Marlon Brando.
"Lost Souls: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stankey's The Island of Dr. Moreau" is the doc. And it's absolutely fantastic (and still on Netflix I believe). So many great stories ... Kilmer's dickishness ... Brando's insanity ... the original "Mini-Me" ... Stanley's undercover crashing of the set ... Fairuza Balk's escape attempt ... debauchery by the extras. It's so crazy one could think its a mockumentary comedy instead of a real doc.
Old 06-20-16, 08:11 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

"Lost Souls: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stankey's The Island of Dr. Moreau" is the doc. And it's absolutely fantastic (and still on Netflix I believe). So many great stories ... Kilmer's dickishness ... Brando's insanity ... the original "Mini-Me" ... Stanley's undercover crashing of the set ... Fairuza Balk's escape attempt ... debauchery by the extras. It's so crazy one could think its a mockumentary comedy instead of a real doc.
Sounds like a great candidate for the cross-Challenge double credit hours!
Old 06-20-16, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I was going to ask the same question... I enjoy all three versions but Island of Lost Souls is my favorite. The Brando film is deliciously fun and my 2nd favorite version. I don't consider it to be the train-wreck the critics call it.
Originally Posted by Trevor
Sounds like a great candidate for the cross-Challenge double credit hours!
It's also on Amazon, but not available "free" with Prime streaming. It's cheap enough I may use some of those "slow shipping" digital credits I've built up to get a copy (it's only a couple of dollars more than renting to "own" a standard def version and only $8 for a hi def copy).

There's a uncredited version of the story filmed as Terror is a Man which was made in the Phillipines in 1959. Here's a link to a online version.

I purchased a very inexpensive (I believe $2) copy of that one on DVD at Big Lots couple of years back as a blind buy. I know I've watched it but it's been too long to remember much about it (I just checked - October 12th 2012 during the Horror Challenge and I gave it a 5/10 rating). I may have to dig it out for a re-watch during this year's challenge.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 06-20-16 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-20-16, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LJG765
I know we've gone away from the topic, but I was discussing the Tarzan films with someone and they had a couple good points, so I'm going to change my ruling. I'm going to make an exception for the Tarzan films so that they can be watched for the challenge, however, they won't count for the check list. I think that's fair. You can still watch them and get credit. Hope this helps!
I'm curious about the points that changed your mind.

Since they're now "in" I may take advantage and watch the Weissmuller films again, possibly dragging my grandson into the viewings. He liked them very much when he was 5-6 but we've not seen them in a few years (he's almost 13 now) and I'm a bit curious to see if he still likes them. I *know* I do!
Old 06-20-16, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I'm curious about the points that changed your mind.
The main one that got me was that he (it was Travis, btw, he's awfully persuasive!) showed me their wiki page where all of Tarzan is classed under fantasy, including the movies. And to be honest, I've always kind of thought of them that way anyway and was surprised that they weren't already considered fantasy.

Also, just heard back from GoldenWheels and he and HamiltonBooks are officially sponsoring the challenge this month! Thank you! I'll update the first post once the prizes are determined.

Oh, just checked the calendar and the 1st is coming up quickly. I will put up the list thread this weekend sometime, so please keep an eye out for that!

One last call for any additions/changes to the checklist please!
Old 06-20-16, 04:42 PM

Oh Travis! He probably added that tag himself. Anything I wanna watch is gonna have that fantasy tag at the time of my viewing.
Old 06-20-16, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh Travis! He probably added that tag himself. Anything I wanna watch is gonna have that fantasy tag at the time of my viewing.
lol! Well, I have hopes it was altruistic as I don't think he'll be participating!
Old 06-20-16, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,029 Likes on 848 Posts

The only argument that I thought of when this conversation started was that a guy talking to apes was kind of fantasy-like.
Old 06-20-16, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LJG765
The main one that got me was that he (it was Travis, btw, he's awfully persuasive!) showed me their wiki page where all of Tarzan is classed under fantasy, including the movies. And to be honest, I've always kind of thought of them that way anyway and was surprised that they weren't already considered fantasy.
That's pretty much what I figured. I've personally always considered them fantasy adventures, after all - how are a bunch of apes going to raise a human baby and how else can you explain his ability with animals - almost a Dr. Doolittle ability, but since IMDB and Allmovie don't classify them as such, and they are our "go to" sources, I never truly gave it much consideration.
Old 06-20-16, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I remember the Tarzan cartoon in the 80s. He basically seemed to have the Aquaman like ability to communicate with the animals and get them to help him.
Old 06-20-16, 07:37 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I would say to add Anton Yelchin to the He's Dead Jim category in wake of his tragic death on Saturday.
Old 06-20-16, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
The only argument that I thought of when this conversation started was that a guy talking to apes was kind of fantasy-like.
Actually, more sci-fi like:

Old 06-21-16, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shellebelle
I would say to add Anton Yelchin to the He's Dead Jim category in wake of his tragic death on Saturday.
Will do.

Actually, more sci-fi like:

Hey, at least both genres both qualify for the challenge!
Old 06-21-16, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

I've got a smattering of British sci-fi I'm planning on watching. I've already got The Terrornauts (1967) and I'm waiting on Unearthly Stranger (1963), Timeslip (1955) and Invasion (1965).

For tv I'll try to watch/complete the first series of Timeslip (1970); I think I started it for a previous challenge but didn't finish. Re-watch series 1 & 2 of Yonderland, perhaps. Beyond that I'll just see what I find online. Maybe squeeze a watch of Buddha's Palm (1982), Holy Flame of the Martial World (1983) or The Super Inframan (1975). A few Ultra 7 and Ultraman episodes wouldn't hurt either and Shoutfactorytv still has Ultra Q episodes available (not to mention Sapphire & Steel; been holding off on series 4, but maybe it's time). And there's always room for Doctor Who. BrainDead qualifies (and is available on Amazon Prime), but Person of Interest is going to finish before the challenge starts.

Plenty of options, really.
Old 06-21-16, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll probably hit up some Ultraman myself and maybe some Super Robot Red Baron. I also plan to continue working my way through M.A.S.K. , and since Generation 1 of Transformers is on Roku, I plan to pick up where I left off on that last month. Kaiju is always an option as well. And of course tons of sci-fi and fantasy movies available on various sources, both paid and free on Roku. I'm actually considering hitting up some sci-fi before the challenge starts, since I love it so much.

And as a plus, my Season 1 set of Batman counts too.
Old 06-21-16, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sounds like people are getting ready! I don't have major plans of what I"ll be watching, but I know Travis and I will be getting into the 2nd half of Batman season 2. We finished the first half the end of May and I think we're both ready again to start.
Old 06-21-16, 11:19 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm going to try and get my blu-rays of all the Planet of the Apes movies watched this year.

Just an FYI, Fantastic Planet is good for the Criterion category. Just came out on Blu-Ray. If you haven't seen it, it's a strangely interesting animated film.
Old 06-22-16, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Can someone please correct the spelling of "discussion" in the thread title?

Thanks.
Old 06-22-16, 07:05 AM

Thanks.
Done, but you can do this as well as anyone. Only mods/admins can change titles, and they don't read most threads. You have to hit the little red ! notify flag (it's on every single post) to send them a message.
Old 06-22-16, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks.
Sorry, missed my typo.

Done, but you can do this as well as anyone. Only mods/admins can change titles, and they don't read most threads. You have to hit the little red ! notify flag (it's on every single post) to send them a message.
Thanks! Good to know.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.