DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-16, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 670 Likes on 487 Posts
Re: The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Disscusion Thread

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Fair enough. I have the Wells novel and one of these days I'll get around to reading it.
I have several of his novels but have yet to read a single one. I really need to fix that... I also own a copy of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and, although I've seen many of the filmed versions, haven't read it either. Plus several Verne works collecting dust... I really need to take a couple of months off from watching movies/TV shows and just read.
Old 06-29-16, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 670 Likes on 487 Posts
Re: The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I know I've been counting the days
I've already started. I watched the 2004 Battlestar Galactica miniseries a couple of nights ago and the first 3 episodes last night. That's in spite of stressing a bit that I'm *not* going to get in all the stuff I'd lined up for the Historical Challenge... That stuff'll just have to wait as SF/Fantasy are my favorite genres so I'll put everything else on the back burner.
Old 06-29-16, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

I've got In Search of: The Complete Collection and the Arthur C Clarke Collection (Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious World, Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious Universe and Arthur C. Clarke's World of Strange Powers) sitting on my shelves. I should be able to cherry pick a few episodes that would be challenge appropriate, unless these tv shows just qualify in general for the challenge? Hmmm...I wonder if The Goodies episode 'Big Foot' would qualify; come to think of it quite a few Goodie eps are sf/f.
Old 06-29-16, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I've already started. I watched the 2004 Battlestar Galactica miniseries a couple of nights ago and the first 3 episodes last night. That's in spite of stressing a bit that I'm *not* going to get in all the stuff I'd lined up for the Historical Challenge... That stuff'll just have to wait as SF/Fantasy are my favorite genres so I'll put everything else on the back burner.
I might start today too. There are plenty of movies on Roku.
Old 06-29-16, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Wow, so many early starters! Sci-fi/Fantasy is one of my favorite genres too. It's my go to when I need a pick me up or just am bored and can't figure something else to watch.

I think it was popcorn who said they might not do the checklist because they don't need a prize; you don't need to do a checklist, just a watch list to qualify and there are quite a few prizes this year. If you get drawn and still want to pass, let me know at that point. You might not want to once you see what's on offer!
Old 06-29-16, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LJG765
Wow, so many early starters! Sci-fi/Fantasy is one of my favorite genres too. It's my go to when I need a pick me up or just am bored and can't figure something else to watch.

I think it was popcorn who said they might not do the checklist because they don't need a prize; you don't need to do a checklist, just a watch list to qualify and there are quite a few prizes this year. If you get drawn and still want to pass, let me know at that point. You might not want to once you see what's on offer!
I caught Jason X on SyFy earlier, and I think I found my favorite movie line of all time from that flick. 'It's all right, he just wanted his machete!'.
Old 06-30-16, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My first thought as soon as I got up today was, I can't wait till tonight. The day is finally here. I'm counting the hours till kickoff time now.
Old 06-30-16, 01:59 PM

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts

Does anyone have a problem with me counting Brick Mansions (2014), written by Luc Besson, counting it for the checklist? It is not listed as science fiction or fantasy but is set in the future. If someone objects, do they have a problem with me counting it for the checklist using one of my wild cards?
Old 06-30-16, 07:45 PM

I am struggling with selecting a movie for the future crime category. Can anyone give me a future crimes for dummies explanation and maybe a few examples?
Old 06-30-16, 07:45 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

my first science fiction fantasy challenge. I am kicking it off with the Planet of the Apes 1968. i am going to wade though the legacy collection on friday.
Old 06-30-16, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,061 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by orlmac
I am struggling with selecting a movie for the future crime category. Can anyone give me a future crimes for dummies explanation and maybe a few examples?
Well, Minority Report would fit the term literally.
Old 06-30-16, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 219 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Blade Runner (which also fits Tech Noir)
Lockout
Criminal
District 9
Elysium
Robocop and sequels
Chappie
Source Code
Looper
No Escape
The Running Man
Fortress
Dredd

Basically, any sci-fi movie where crimes like murder or theft are committed or set in futuristic prisons, courtrooms and the like.

Last edited by Gobear; 06-30-16 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-30-16, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777

timecop?
Old 06-30-16, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
timecop?
Old 06-30-16, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Have fun everyone! I will be flying home in a few and will be back tomorrow afternoon if there are any question!
Old 06-30-16, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I kicked off the Challenge with some good old fashioned kaiju, by watching the Japanese version of Godzilla Raids Again. An interesting thing to note is I remember hearing in the audio commentary that the 55 suit was about 100 lbs lighter than the 54 suit to make it easier for Haruo Nakajima to move around in it.
Old 06-30-16, 09:56 PM

Thanks for the answers to my questions. I appreciate the input!
Old 07-01-16, 07:20 AM

Received 532 Likes on 379 Posts

I had a Superman marathon last night:

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)
Man of Steel (2013)
Superman Returns (2006)

I'm not a big Superman fan, so I never got around to watching these in the past. I had no idea the new BvS movie was a direct sequel to Man of Steel. Otherwise I would have watched the earlier movie first.

It was interesting to see how Bryan Singer's Superman Returns was completely different from Zack Snyder's two movies.
Old 07-01-16, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's nice to see Charmed counts. Not saying I'll watch it all the time, but it's on every Monday-Friday mornings on TNT. All Halliwell's Eve is on right now.
Old 07-01-16, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I made it home, but haven't slept in 24 hours at this point. Have to admit, it's a bit surreal, about this time yesterday I was hiking in mountains and playing in a sand dune, today I'm back in dairyland. Plan on starting the challenge later tonight once I can sleep. I did get Back to the Future: The Complete Animated Series while I was gone. I may start that this month and finish it next month.

Does anyone have a problem with me counting Brick Mansions (2014), written by Luc Besson, counting it for the checklist? It is not listed as science fiction or fantasy but is set in the future. If someone objects, do they have a problem with me counting it for the checklist using one of my wild cards?
No problem using it as a wild card for your watch list. Use your judgement if it really is sci-fi enough (other than just taking place in the future) to really use it on your checklist, please.

my first science fiction fantasy challenge. I am kicking it off with the Planet of the Apes 1968. i am going to wade though the legacy collection on friday.
Congrats and welcome! I hope you have a great challenge!

And now for some sleep...
Old 07-01-16, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If anyone wants something new to watch, I can strongly recommend checking out These Final Hours, a terrific end-of-the-world flick from Australia available on Netflix. The basic setup is that an asteroid hit the Earth 12 hours ago and a wave of fire is sweeping the planet, incinerating all life. The protagonist leaves his pregnant fiancee to go drink himself into oblivion at a party so he won't feel anything when the end comes. And then things happen. It's an intelligent, sensitive, thought-provoking film that I thoroughly enjoyed during last year's challenge.

I watched 10 Cloverfield Lane late last night/ this morning, and it is excellent. I'm glad I went into it blind because the movie throws several twists and surprises at the viewer.

Avoid Cell at all costs. It is pure dreck, easily the worst Stephen King adaptation ever.

Also, if you see a copy of Predestination at Big Lots, buy it! It's a mind-bending time travel flick by the Spierig Brothers who also made Undead and Daybreakers. It stars Ethan Hawke and an excellent Australian actress, Sarah Snook, and is based on a famous Robert Heinlein short story. I really enjoyed it.

Last edited by Gobear; 07-01-16 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-01-16, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

MST3K: Volume XXXVI arrived today, so I'll be cracking that tonight and watching an episode.

Some suggestions for tv to watch, mostly animation actually, but there's enough between Netflix and Amazon Prime that you can pick two or three shows and still have stuff to watch for August's Animation Challenge.

Netflix - Voltron: Legendary Defender, The Adventures of Puss in Boots, Kong: King of the Apes
Amazon - Thunderbirds Are Go, Just Add Magic (live action), Lost in Oz (only one ep available )
Old 07-01-16, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I noticed something interesting while watching Episode 12 of Star Blazers, Season 1 on YouTube. Apparently Desslok has a sense of honor. When he was asked if they should send interceptors after The Star Force escaped his latest trap, his response was, 'No, send congratulations.'
Old 07-01-16, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I had a Superman marathon last night:

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)
Man of Steel (2013)
Superman Returns (2006)

I'm not a big Superman fan, so I never got around to watching these in the past. I had no idea the new BvS movie was a direct sequel to Man of Steel. Otherwise I would have watched the earlier movie first.

It was interesting to see how Bryan Singer's Superman Returns was completely different from Zack Snyder's two movies.

I haven't seen man of steel . any good?
Old 07-01-16, 04:24 PM

Received 532 Likes on 379 Posts

I haven't seen man of steel . any good?
It was probably my favorite of the 3 movies. That surprised me, because I seem to remember it got bad reviews. But it was really enjoyable. There were a lot of good action scenes throughout the movie.

I though BvS was decent. The last 45 minutes was great. But the first 2 hours was all build-up and it dragged on.

I watched Superman Returns last. And I enjoyed the lightheartedness, compared to the first two movies which were drab and morose. Kevin Spacey and Parker Posey were fun villains. It reminded me of the 80's Superman movies. Unfortunately, the action scenes were boring.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.