Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-13, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

thoughts to asianxcore. Sorry to hear man.
Old 10-15-13, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
For those of you with $32,000 lying around:

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/109...ytheRobotImage...
Why pay someone else $32,000 when you could just build your own automated robot?

Old 10-15-13, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MrTerrific
OH WOW, I knew that one day "Sorority Babe in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama" would help me win something!

Seriously, thanks!

Re-watching the Puppet Master and Subspecies films. I have been a little disappointed in Puppet Master because it feels like watching an hour and a half of a film for a few minutes of puppets.
Shoot me your info Terrific and I will get it out ASAP! Congrats!

I can't do priority mail since it is so much stuff. Will arrive in one of our plain ol' brown boxes.

Everyone who wins a Hamilton prize is going to get something extra jammed in there as well.
Old 10-15-13, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,115 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels

I can't do priority mail since it is so much stuff. Will arrive in one of our plain ol' brown boxes.

Everyone who wins a Hamilton prize is going to get something extra jammed in there as well.
Damn, Golden Wheels, you da man!

Crossing my fingers for the next giveaway!
Old 10-15-13, 10:32 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ntnon
It seemed slightly too childish to be a totally 'adult'-aimed film, but far too scary to really be considered a children's film. The (occasional, but strong) language, the fairly terrifying face-pulling, the Ghost Central populace, the Beetlejuice character and his mores... all of it really felt like it would bother youngish people a lot more than it probably ought to.

Anyone else feel similarly, or am I under-estimating an audience that I don't belong to anymore..?!
It's my 6 year old daughter's favorite movie. That and Ghostbusters. I think it was aimed at teens in the 80s, but I remember watching it soon after it came out (around her age) and not being overly frightened either. Obviously, certain things went right over my head at that age (and hers as well, now).

To me, as an adult now, it seems like Spongebob or something similar - funny enough to entertain children, with some humor that goes over their heads, that adults can enjoy as well.

Similarly, I was obsessed with Elvira, Mistress of the Dark as a kid. Hadn't watched it in forever, and finally saw it again for the challenge. I was pretty surprised at everything that was in that movie that I just didn't get as a kid (and didn't even notice at the time.)
Old 10-15-13, 10:39 AM

I watched Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door last night - wow, disturbing. It's been quite a while that a film got under my skin like that.
Old 10-15-13, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 187 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
Finished Beetlejoice today... never seen it before, and while I knew the plot at one point, I'd managed to forget most of it prior to watching it, so it was totally novel. It's quite a clever idea, although I'm not sure it really pulls it off because all the introduced minor characters sort of blended together and became distracting. Enjoyable, though!

I had to wonder, however, quite who this film is aimed at..? Was it made at a point when the studio somehow managed to make a film just because, or was it just a little bit confusingly done, I wonder. It seemed slightly too childish to be a totally 'adult'-aimed film, but far too scary to really be considered a children's film. The (occasional, but strong) language, the fairly terrifying face-pulling, the Ghost Central populace, the Beetlejuice character and his mores... all of it really felt like it would bother youngish people a lot more than it probably ought to.

Anyone else feel similarly, or am I under-estimating an audience that I don't belong to anymore..?!
I think you could ask this about any of Tim Burton's movies. As his career progresses, his movies seem to appeal to a smaller and smaller niche audience. I think Ed Wood is his best movie.
Old 10-15-13, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I think you could ask this about any of Tim Burton's movies. As his career progresses, his movies seem to appeal to a smaller and smaller niche audience. I think Ed Wood is his best movie.
i'd argue that his movies have become more and more appealing to a wider audience.
Old 10-15-13, 10:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even though I don't believe we've ever spoken, my thoughts are with you as well, asianxcore.

On a lighter note:

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I quickly gave in after seeing some of the feedback for it. I really enjoyed the constant twists & turns all throughout the first half. But the final act felt completely rushed and tacked on to me. Quite a shame since the movie felt like it was much smarter than that.
I finally checked out Hostel: Part III last night and Mondo Kane pretty much summed up my thoughts as well. The last act did seem pretty rushed, but overall I enjoyed it. Especially since I never cared much for the 2nd.
Old 10-15-13, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 187 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
i'd argue that his movies have become more and more appealing to a wider audience.
I don't know, from Batman(1989) to Frankenweenie(2012). I can't remember the last time I heard somebody say they were excited about the new Tim Burton movie.
Old 10-15-13, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know, from Batman(1989) to Frankenweenie(2012). I can't remember the last time I heard somebody say they were excited about the new Tim Burton movie.
Same can be said about most directors after almost 30 films but people still go see it. A director making his second film after a first one that's popular will make people more excited to see what it'll be like.
Old 10-15-13, 11:01 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels

Sent!

Thanks again!
Old 10-15-13, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MrTerrific
Sent!

Thanks again!
In the mail (well at least on the truck) as I type. Maybe it gets picked up today, likely tomorrow (we have a trailer every day), but it's on the way!

I want to apologize for the peanuts I had to use. We were just forced to move to a new type and, well....they kind of suck IMO. Very crumbly.

Oh and--I opened two of the three Synapse titles as they were rattling and I thought they were shakers, didn't want you to get scratched discs...turns out they had catalogs in them! Those titles are indeed brand new dvds.
Old 10-15-13, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

I'd also like to give my condolences to asianxcore. We've lost a number of loved ones this year and it is never easy. Movies have been my distraction though. All the best buddy.
Old 10-15-13, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
My condolences as well. Sometimes this challenge seems to double as a support group. We've been through a lot over the years.
Thanks and again thanks to everyone for the kind words. Against many of my friends' wishes, I drank and listened to music last night. That is very unlike me, as I don't drink much at all, but honestly, I didn't know what to do with myself. We do all know each other well through these challenges, I would think.

One of my close friends is working on getting a venue for the memorial, hopefully having an open service for friends (eventually) and having a Benefit Concert locally to help out my friends' Mother with all the costs this will bring. My friend loved music and was a musician, so having a show with all of his favorite local bands we thought was a fitting idea.

Going to try and watch as much as I can, as I might need a distraction right now.
Old 10-15-13, 01:35 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Thanks and again thanks to everyone for the kind words. Against many of my friends' wishes, I drank and listened to music last night. That is very unlike me, as I don't drink much at all, but honestly, I didn't know what to do with myself. We do all know each other well through these challenges, I would think.

One of my close friends is working on getting a venue for the memorial, hopefully having an open service for friends (eventually) and having a Benefit Concert locally to help out my friends' Mother with all the costs this will bring. My friend loved music and was a musician, so having a show with all of his favorite local bands we thought was a fitting idea.

Going to try and watch as much as I can, as I might need a distraction right now.
Thoughts and prayers with you and all the family.

This might sound a little weird, but you may want to make sure someone records the memorial service. Several people said some awesome things at my Dad's that we would love to be able to hear again, but none of us thought to have anyone record it.
Old 10-15-13, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Is Maniac (2013), the remake, worth a blind buy at $10.96?
Old 10-15-13, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
This might sound a little weird, but you may want to make sure someone records the memorial service. Several people said some awesome things at my Dad's that we would love to be able to hear again, but none of us thought to have anyone record it.
Doesn't sound weird at all. I'll have to remember that and speak to everyone else involved. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Depending on how close you are tied to the original film, I would rent it. Even though I enjoyed the remake as well as the original film, they are drastically different. There are many stylistic choices with the new film that I know a lot of folks didn't like.
Old 10-15-13, 01:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I would say HELL YES.
Old 10-15-13, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

My condolences asianxcore and take care.
Old 10-15-13, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Thoughts and condolences go out to you, asianxcore. Really sorry to hear that.
Old 10-15-13, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Depending on how close you are tied to the original film, I would rent it. Even though I enjoyed the remake as well as the original film, they are drastically different. There are many stylistic choices with the new film that I know a lot of folks didn't like.
A Hobbit, for one.

And alcohol and music sounds like a fitting tribute. The fact you can come on here to update says you're doing well. It'll suck for a while, but time really will help. And horror movies, when you come around to that (low on the priority).
Old 10-15-13, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,115 Likes on 683 Posts

Black Sabbath (1963) is now available to stream on Netflix. I didn't realize that there were two versions of this movie until I read the review thread after watching it but the streaming version is the AIP version. The picture quality is fantastic though.
Old 10-15-13, 02:03 PM

I think that has to more to do with a well known name (Burton's and more often than not, Johnny Depp & Helena Bonham Carter's), that with the actual premise of any of his more recent films. Burton, or at least Burton with Depp is an autowatch for many viewers.
Old 10-15-13, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
have you seen his 2008 film 'Bad Biology' - Frank is truly a demented guy (that's a positive by the way). Recommended!
If that's the one with
Spoiler:
endless orgasms, a detached monster penis, killer vagina and mutant gutter babies
yes.

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
Watched Hellraiser VI: Hellseeker last night. Nice little mindfuck of a movie, though it wasn't strong with the Hellraiser element. Pleasantly surprised.
I need to check some of the later sequels out; never watched beyond part 3. The Alan Smithee part scared me away from 4, and several Fangoria articles on Doug Bradley I read last year said most of them were based on original screenplays not initially affiliated with the series. Just don't understand the point of tacking on 10 minutes of Cenobite footage, if that.

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Spoiler:
Isn't that Conrad Veidt?
It is. Thanks for the heads up. And I didn't even get the right Lon Chaney.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.