DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

6th Annual Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge

Old 06-03-13, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: 6th Annual Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
These have the same titles but the plots can be very different:

The She-Creature (1956); Remake - Mermaid Chronicles Part 1: She Creature (2001)
The She-Creature (1956) was directly remade (meaning they used the same plot) as Creature of Destruction (1967). I only know this because I watched them both in April.
Old 06-03-13, 03:36 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I like the movie/remake in the checklist, but I can always watch it anyway if it is removed. It can be challenging but it seems that BobO'Link gave a lot of options to choose from. I am quickly running out of films based on a video game and would be glad to see it gone!

I'd suggest Richard Carlson for the Actors area and Jack Arnold for the directors choices.
Old 06-03-13, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
The She-Creature (1956) was directly remade (meaning they used the same plot) as Creature of Destruction (1967). I only know this because I watched them both in April.
Cool! I didn't know about that one. Another to look for to add to the pile... Is your copy from the SciFi Trash-O-Rama set?
Old 06-03-13, 03:53 PM

I noticed when looking at the checklist that I have difficulty finding new movies that fit Arhurian Fantasy and am generally bored with the MST3K etc. category. I don't want to suggest removing something others want so I wondered what interest there is in these categories.
Old 06-03-13, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow! On that list of remakes I posted I totally forgot about The Lost World (1925) *and* Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1920)! I edited the post to add them.
Old 06-03-13, 04:12 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Subscribe
Old 06-03-13, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Cool! I didn't know about that one. Another to look for to add to the pile... Is your copy from the SciFi Trash-O-Rama set?
I downloaded it from archive.org. Here are a few more remakes of AIP films Larry Buchanan made around the same time:

The Eye Creatures (Attack of the The Eye Creatures) (1965) is a remake of Invasion of the Saucer Men (1957)
Zontar: The Thing from Venus (1966) is a remake of It Conquered the World (1956)
Curse of the Swamp Creature (1966) is a remake of Voodoo Woman (1957)
In the Year 2889 (1967) is a remake of Day the World Ended (1955)
Old 06-03-13, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

With the posts of approval regarding the remake part of the checklist, I will readd it, however, I won't take anything out to replace it, I will only add one more to the checklist.
Old 06-03-13, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I generally enjoyed the MST3K checkmarks, but understand that they can be hard to come by. That being said, I just bought a set with my favorite movie on it and was waiting for this challenge to pull it out! That being said, it'd still qualify for the sci-fi/fantasy parts. So, I'm good either way that line goes.

Just wanted to point out that I noticed that in the opening post you say there is only one way to get an entry and that's by participating but when you open the check list, it's mentioned that you get an entry by completing it...
Old 06-03-13, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
Just wanted to point out that I noticed that in the opening post you say there is only one way to get an entry and that's by participating but when you open the check list, it's mentioned that you get an entry by completing it...
Nobody apparently noticed that when I did it last year.

Once suggestion for our host is to keep all the rules and links in the discussion thread and not put any of that stuff in the list thread. Otherwise you run into the problem of editing one but not carrying all the edits to the other.
Old 06-03-13, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I generally enjoyed the MST3K checkmarks, but understand that they can be hard to come by. That being said, I just bought a set with my favorite movie on it and was waiting for this challenge to pull it out! That being said, it'd still qualify for the sci-fi/fantasy parts. So, I'm good either way that line goes.

I planned to keep the MST3K portion of the checklist, so you're good there. And thanks for pointing that part about completing the checklist giving you another entry. As Mister Peepers said above me, I never noticed that part last year and never even knew it was there.
Old 06-03-13, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just reiterating what GoldenWheels said about only being able to ship prizes to the US. Please keep this in mind and let me know if you are international and your name comes up as a winner when the time comes. Also, I looked at the checklist and did not see the part where it says if you complete the checklist you get an extra entry.
Old 06-03-13, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm not a fan of the MST3K checklist item either; maybe it would be more enjoyable to open it up to any primarily third party commentator or host. You could even list the current line-up as examples. Joe Bob Briggs or Elviria covered some sci-fi items or maybe it'd be fair game to listen to a historian commentary track by anyone not directly affiliated with the production. There are some online gag commentaries by indie fanboys having fun, etc.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 06-03-13 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-03-13, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Regarding some people's feelings about MST3K, but seeing as we also have a vote to keep it, I decided to compromise, changing the MST3K checklist item to a hosted version. That way it keeps MST3K open for those that do want it, but allows for a greater variety for those that no longer want it.
Old 06-03-13, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Regarding some people's feelings about MST3K, but seeing as we also have a vote to keep it, I decided to compromise, changing the MST3K checklist item to a hosted version. That way it keeps MST3K open for those that do want it, but allows for a greater variety for those that no longer want it.
I appreciate your efforts at compromise. By the time you get to the sixth year of a challenge it can be difficult to change things without offending someone but you are clearly working hard not to do that.
Old 06-03-13, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Don't change anything! This is MY first year!

Kidding, I will abide by whatever the list is, but remember, not all of us have done this 5 times.
As for the actors, how about just adding a name or two to each bullet rather than change them completely? That way us newbies can still watch a Kurt Russell movie! I already have a doozy picked out!

Last edited by pacaway; 06-03-13 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-04-13, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've voted every year to remove this item as I'm not genearlly a fan MST3K or its progeny. I didn't "vote" this year as the majority of folks here seem to like MST3K and I've purchased enough content to satisfy the checklist item on those challenges where it appears. However, you should make it "MST3K/Rifftrax/Cinematic Titanic/Hosted" to avoid confusion or questions. Rifftrax are not necessarily "hosted" content as no one appears on screen.
Old 06-04-13, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've voted every year to remove this item as I'm not genearlly a fan MST3K or its progeny. I didn't "vote" this year as the majority of folks here seem to like MST3K and I've purchased enough content to satisfy the checklist item on those challenges where it appears. However, you should make it "MST3K/Rifftrax/Cinematic Titanic/Hosted" to avoid confusion or questions. Rifftrax are not necessarily "hosted" content as no one appears on screen.
Done, I changed it to MST3K/Rifftrax/Cinematic Titanic/Hosted
Old 06-04-13, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Heaven Can Wait (1943); Remake - Heaven Can Wait (1978)
Heaven Can Wait (1978) is a remake of Here Comes Mr. Jordan (1941)
Old 06-04-13, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Even though I'm running the challenge this year, I actually have a question for either the previous host or someone else who might know. Would Dark Fantasy be things like Nightmare on Elm Street or Wishmaster? Incidentally, I'm getting in the mood to watch some sci fi already, even though the challenge is almost a month away. It is one of my favorite genres, and I wouldn't mind watching stuff this month and rewatching some things for the challenge. My only problem is what to watch as a good portion of my collection is sci fi or fantasy.
Old 06-04-13, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

AMC has Nightmare on Elm Street in their list of dark fantasy
http://movies.amctv.com/movie-guide/...asy-movies.php

Wishmaster shows as horror and fantasy at imdb, so that would be good enough for me.

When I was in doubt, I always did a google search (nightmare on elm street dark fantasy movie) and if I came across a reliable enough source, such as things that aren't blogs, I'd go along with them.
Old 06-04-13, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KaBluie
Heaven Can Wait (1978) is a remake of Here Comes Mr. Jordan (1941)
Oops! That's correct! The 1943 Heaven Can Wait has a "similar" theme but is different.
Old 06-04-13, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just went and saw the new Star Trek-I know what I'll be watching next month. I picked up ST:TOS on blu this winter and plan to watch it. If I get to them, I want to watch the movies, too.
Old 06-05-13, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just went and saw the new Star Trek-I know what I'll be watching next month. I picked up ST:TOS on blu this winter and plan to watch it. If I get to them, I want to watch the movies, too.
I have some of the Fan Collectives, and all of the movies, both TOS, and TNG, and the first one of the new ones on DVD.
Old 06-05-13, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have some of the Fan Collectives, and all of the movies, both TOS, and TNG, and the first one of the new ones on DVD.
I wish I had TNG. It's always been too expensive for me to buy. It's the series I grew up watching and it's my favorite of them all.

I did get a great deal on TOS on blu. I've picked up most of the Fan Collectives pretty cheaply at Big Lots and the movies over the years. I just bought the Animated Series today; someone told me it was $20 at Amazon, so I picked it up. I do have Enterprise as well, but that was given to me. I feel like I could get quite a good challenge out of just the Star Trek I own.

I do want to focus on the ones I haven't watched yet (Not never, but the copies I own) for the challenge.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.