Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Having your collection messed up by others

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-09, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Having your collection messed up by others

I don't let people borrow movies anymore because they don't take care of them. The last straw was when I loaned a couple OOP movies to a friend and they came back scratched, almost unplayable. I ended up having one resurfaced and I had to throw out the other disc. That hurt because it was one of the more expensive ones (Fright Night 2).

Now I tell them that they are more than welcome to watch them here... they just don't leave my place.
Old 12-14-09, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Will you lend me your wife? I promise I'll take care of her in the same manner you would.
It would certainly keep the house quiet for a couple of hours so I could actually watch one of my DVDs free of interruptions for a change!
Old 12-14-09, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Can I assume you are implying here that those who don't loan out like their DVD/blu ray collection more than people?
To a certain extent, yes, that is what I'm implying.
Likely those DVD collectors like other people more than their DVDs enough to not risk the inevitable friction caused by their careless damage by friends and family they know are too irresponsible to respect other's property.

Lend DVDs out, get them back ruined, repeat process until finally it becomes one of those pent up frustrations that triggers ruining a relationship. Or just prevent the whole problem from ever happening in the first place by not lending, and thus preserve the relationships. Seems a simple choice to me.

Odds are someone as fixated with their collection over people as you imply wouldn't have friends to lend to. You stated this yourself, yet it made your point moot because most people *complaining* about the consequences of lending DVDs clearly have had plenty of friends to provide those bad borrowing experiences. Those with the mindset you assert wouldn't be the ones tossing out all those bad experience horror stories.

Originally Posted by pseudo
Now I tell them that they are more than welcome to watch them here... they just don't leave my place.
Wish that worked. One friend of mine was pretty much guaranteed to return DVDs in degraded condition. Scratches on the DVD surface, and something I never could figure out - every cardboard case box set he ever borrowed came back looking like a dog eared paperback novel. Didn't matter if he had it a week or several months, they looked like they'd spent a semester bouncing around in a student’s back pack.

I often asked him to pet sit for a couple days, and could usually tell with uncanny accuracy what movies he watched during his stay by finding the mis-shelved titles and/or (when opened) the worn disks. Assuming the titles weren't totally obvious by still being in the player, or lying loose wherever he placed them and forgot *anywhere* in the apartment (and I do mean anywhere - including kitchen or bathroom). Disks often left media side down.

So keeping the disks at home doesn't always guarantee their safety.

Last edited by Cubicle Morlock; 12-14-09 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Spelling errors.
Old 12-14-09, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by pseudo
IThat hurt because it was one of the more expensive ones (Fright Night 2).
Old 12-14-09, 10:38 PM

I have to admit I've had many arguments with friends and family, and possibly a few too many doors slamming in an attempt to protect my cherished collection.

It's worth it though. x]
Old 12-15-09, 08:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bse
there is no point to have a large amount of films if you don't share them with others. i have 800+ dvds and two boxes of unopened films (one for DVDs and one for Blu's) that i don't have time to watch - why would i not let someone borrow something they want? seems crazy that you would rather it sit on the shelf then allow a friend or family member to borrow
That's not the point. People don't mind sharing most of the time. I would let people borrow stuff....just not the valuable stuff. The Beastmaster complete set, for example. The company that released it lost the right, so they recalled the sets. Luckily, some got in the a few Best Buys. I will NEVER loan that to anyone. 1, they don't make it anymore and 2, the sets go for over 100 dollars on ebay so there's no way I'd be able to replace it.
Old 12-16-09, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
That's not the point. People don't mind sharing most of the time. I would let people borrow stuff....just not the valuable stuff. The Beastmaster complete set, for example. The company that released it lost the right, so they recalled the sets. Luckily, some got in the a few Best Buys. I will NEVER loan that to anyone. 1, they don't make it anymore and 2, the sets go for over 100 dollars on ebay so there's no way I'd be able to replace it.
That and it seems that most of us get burned when we lend out stuff by having it come back trashed because people don't respect others' stuff.