Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Having your collection messed up by others

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-09, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Having your collection messed up by others

Well i'm sure they didn't wreck your set on purpose.. but they still should have said something. To go ooops and then hope you don't notice is not good. When you do call them, or get a hold of the business owners, don't go at them like a lunatic. Explain what happened and hope for the best.
Old 12-10-09, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
"We checked with the crew and they said they never touched it or damaged anything."
its a family business, 2 sisters I believe.

Originally Posted by bse

also to the poster, it's hard to feel sorry for you since you have cleaning people.
i'm 22, i live at home. my family hired these 2 women to clean our house for like $80. I have a little extra spending money each week that goes to my movie collection and hanging out with friends. what doesn't go to bills is getting saved so i can move out without having to depend on my family. we have 7 people living in the house, only 2 of which don't have income (elementary aged kids). we aren't exactly rolling in the dough.

Originally Posted by MinLShaw

Let's see what your feelings are toward those pricey titles after a few drinking buddies return them two months later with trashed slipcovers and so many scuffs the player spits out the discs. 'Cause that's what most of the people I know will do with them. Oh, sure, they take good care of their own stuff, but mine? Forget it; they have jobs, they can buy or rent for themselves.

Unfair, since the OP emphasized that he did not hire the cleaning people.
1. i totally agree with your statement on people borrowing your stuff.

2. thank you for realizing i didn't want these people and i don't have tons of extra money to go replacing titles because other people trash them.
Old 12-10-09, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
Well i'm sure they didn't wreck your set on purpose.. but they still should have said something. To go ooops and then hope you don't notice is not good. When you do call them, or get a hold of the business owners, don't go at them like a lunatic. Explain what happened and hope for the best.
I agree. I understand accidents happen, but they tried (poorly) to hide it and didn't even use common sense to see how they go back in the case.
Old 12-10-09, 07:46 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
...and here we go

so when someone posts that they DON'T let people borrow dvds should i post this every time? to each their own, at the end of the day it is YOUR collection to do with what YOU want and i choose to share it with others.
Old 12-10-09, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by bse
so when someone posts that they DON'T let people borrow dvds should i post this every time? to each their own, at the end of the day it is YOUR collection to do with what YOU want and i choose to share it with others.
Do whatever you feel.

Everyone around here knows any thread that remotely mentions borrowing DVD's turns into the same thread as the ones we've had in the past. It's old and tired.

There are those that let everyone borrow their collection and there are those that don't or at least limit who they let borrow. That's completely fine and dandy, since as you mentioned it's your own personal collection to do whatever you want with. What gets me is when those "personal" decisions become finger pointing or a "better than you" sort of attitude.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/40...ight=borrowing

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/41...ight=borrowing

Last edited by asianxcore; 12-10-09 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-10-09, 07:59 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

like i said, there is two sides and when someone presents the other side, then it becomes old and tired, but if everyone in the thread is agreeing on not letting people borrow, its cool, weird?

anyway, like i said, its up to the holder on what they do - i would never pull a "i'm better then you" just because i let people borrow dvds, i could care less what people do with dvds that were bought with their own money.
Old 12-10-09, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I usually only lend DVDs to one friend and my sister and they are just as anal about handling discs as I am. I often conveniently "forget" to bring a DVD if someone else asks to borrow a movie. What I don't like is when someone borrows something and then they keep it forever. The longer they have it, the more likely they are to forget that they have it. I realize that people have busy lives and might not be able to get to that movie right away. I've had the same problem myself. But if I find that if I cannot watch a movie within a certain amount of time, I'll return it and then ask to borrow it again at a later date when I know I have the time.

I am the only one of my close friends that has Blu-ray so luckily I don't have to deal with lending those yet.

As for messing with my collection... my kids occasionally pull DVD cases off the shelves and put them back in the wrong spot (or not at all). But that's the price you pay for having kids and I love them more than my DVDs. My 5 year old knows how to take a DVD out of its case and load it, so I let her do that as I supervise.
Old 12-10-09, 08:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Living Dead
I find this equal parts hilarious and creepy. Your own wife isn't allowed to touch your DVD's, and you lock them up just to make sure? Do you keep her tied up whenever you leave the house too? Do you ever ask her to "put the fucking lotion in the basket?"
no, she is free to do as she pleases unless it involves my dvds.
Old 12-10-09, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by D_N_G
Not messed up condition wise, but messed up... I let my brother borrow about 30 dvds/box sets a couple of months ago. He was going through a hard time and needed something to do to get his mind off things. When he was done watching all of them he gave them to my mom to bring back since she was headed out my way, instead she donated the entire thing to Goodwill because she looked at them and didnt like the content in some of them (probably Inside). The rest of them werent like walmart 5 dollar bin flavor, they were like Criterion The Third Man and MTV The State series. WTF.
Yet another reason my mom is better than your mom: My mom is the only other person I know who has a large DVD collection. At times I think it is even bigger than mine. She taught me to take care of my comic books at an early age and knows how anal I am about my DVDs. And she would NEVER donate them to Goodwill. At the very worst she'd advise me to sell some on Ebay to make good money off of them.

I stopped letting people borrow my stuff even before DVDs came around. When I let some people borrow CDs and they would come back with fingerprints on the surface and light scratches on the discs I was DONE. No need to experiment with the so-called good nature of people to see how long it would take to get a messed up disc because, like Nick Cave once said, "People ain't no good." Keep that in mind before considering letting somebody borrow a DVD or something of value to you.

Last edited by calhoun07; 12-10-09 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-11-09, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I used to take pride in having a nice collection that I could show off when my family visited me.

I let my cousing borrow an OOP movie once, after explaining the rare status and to be careful. Next day at his house, saw it face down on his coffee table while he grinned and said, "If I'd known you were stopping buy I would have put it back in the case."

Later I let him borrow Mothman Prophecies thinking it's okay, I got it real cheap at Ross and it's not that special to me. Got it back with peanut butter (I think) smudges, scratches, fingerprints, and what looks like a booger on it. Can't even play the darn thing even if I wanted to.

In fact, all my family brings back the movies scratched up or worse. I'm down to 40 movies that actually play.
I now have my DVDs hidden in an ottoman and, so as not to have the subject brought up, a collection of books obscure the TV and DVD player that are on the shelf.

Last edited by brayzie; 12-11-09 at 05:20 AM.
Old 12-11-09, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love how people feel entitled to borrowing DVDs, and I'm not talking about just friends and family. I remember a former co-worker having a fit because I wouldn't loan them Disney movies for their visiting nieces and nephews. They got a bigger paycheck than me and could easily visit the local BB or blockbuster for titles.
Old 12-11-09, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Pizza
I love how people feel entitled to borrowing DVDs, and I'm not talking about just friends and family. I remember a former co-worker having a fit because I wouldn't loan them Disney movies for their visiting nieces and nephews. They got a bigger paycheck than me and could easily visit the local BB or blockbuster for titles.
yeah, but these kind of people are especially the ones who shake their
heads at collectors about how they can spend so much money
i have always had bad experiences with lending movies. no one
treats my valuables like i would! besides screw these cheap asses, if you want to borrow a movie go to blockbuster!! they are always calling people who
purchase movies dumb for spending money, but then i am good
enough to be their supplier i don`t think so!
Old 12-11-09, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brayzie
I used to take pride in having a nice collection that I could show off when my family visited me.

I let my cousing borrow an OOP movie once, after explaining the rare status and to be careful. Next day at his house, saw it face down on his coffee table while he grinned and said, "If I'd known you were stopping buy I would have put it back in the case."

Later I let him borrow Mothman Prophecies thinking it's okay, I got it real cheap at Ross and it's not that special to me. Got it back with peanut butter (I think) smudges, scratches, fingerprints, and what looks like a booger on it. Can't even play the darn thing even if I wanted to.

In fact, all my family brings back the movies scratched up or worse. I'm down to 40 movies that actually play.
I now have my DVDs hidden in an ottoman and, so as not to have the subject brought up, a collection of books obscure the TV and DVD player that are on the shelf.
with such a messy family i am happy for you that you turned out ok
Old 12-11-09, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bse
there is no point to have a large amount of films if you don't share them with others. i have 800+ dvds and two boxes of unopened films (one for DVDs and one for Blu's) that i don't have time to watch - why would i not let someone borrow something they want? seems crazy that you would rather it sit on the shelf then allow a friend or family member to borrow. every Saturday we have a triple feature night here and whoever is here always walk out with a handful of dvds and bring them back next week, turning people on to good film is my favorite thing about having a collection.

also to the poster, it's hard to feel sorry for you since you have cleaning people.

dkedvd - you are insane and entertain me, i think its both awesome and scary how much you put into your collection, i would like to hang out with you just so i could freak you out by touching your dvd's
I couldn't agree with this more. But we are soooo in the minority on this forum.
Old 12-11-09, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I couldn't agree with this more. But we are soooo in the minority on this forum.
Isn't one of the best things about being a movie-loving-nut sharing old favourites and new discoveries with other people?

After hearing these horror stories I'm grateful for friends and relatives who (touch wood) have so far been respectful enough of my movie collection not to scratch my discs or rip slipcovers or otherwise abuse my stuff.

amen

PS: Some of them do hold onto movies for ages though. if you're going to be too busy to watch a 90 minute movie, don't hold onto it for six months. borrow it when you know you'll have time to watch it. Come home, Bad Santa BD, it's almost xmas.
Old 12-11-09, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by oldboy87
Isn't one of the best things about being a movie-loving-nut sharing old favourites and new discoveries with other people?

After hearing these horror stories I'm grateful for friends and relatives who (touch wood) have so far been respectful enough of my movie collection not to scratch my discs or rip slipcovers or otherwise abuse my stuff.

amen

PS: Some of them do hold onto movies for ages though. if you're going to be too busy to watch a 90 minute movie, don't hold onto it for six months. borrow it when you know you'll have time to watch it. Come home, Bad Santa BD, it's almost xmas.
I have no problem sharing the collection with others, but that usually means bringing it with me when we want to watch it then taking home that night. Unless its one of the two trusted people.
Old 12-11-09, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I think this could be true of any media library. I do enjoy introducing people to things they've never seen, heard or read. I took great pride in introducing my friends to David Lean's big three (The Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia and Doctor Zhivago) back in high school. But we watched them here.

Now, the strange thing is, I have an almost-Netflix level tolerance for having my books out. Once I've read a book, it's very unlikely I will re-read it so I don't mind it circulating for months on end. I bought a book by baseball manager Jack McKeown back in, oh, 2005 maybe? I read it in one night and lent it out that weekend. I still haven't gotten it back! Were it a DVD, I would have become quite upset about this (literally) years ago, and yet because it's a book I somehow haven't really minded. Go figure.
Old 12-11-09, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

amen

I was actually agreeing with him in that I love to loan out my movies.
Old 12-11-09, 02:55 PM

I am generally happy to let careful friends borrow my DVDs, but I still get hung up on condition. Even having small kids hasn't broke me of this compusion yet. But last time we went on vacation, my wife had some of her friends swing by to check on the house, and a few decided to help themselves to a few movies. When I finally got them back, some of the discs looked like they got sandpapered. In the pile was OOP Criterion "Notorious". Fortunatley, it was not harmed. Whew!
Old 12-11-09, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Wow.

I read threads like these and I can never figure out how so many discs/cases get damaged. What in the name of fuck are people doing with these things?

The process to watch a DVD is pretty basic: open case, remove disc, place in player, enjoy. Remove disc from player, return to case.

I'm pretty tight on my lending policies, but not out of damage concerns (so far I haven't had any issues in that regard). Instead, it's the length of the "borrow". I've grown tired of hounding people months after they borrowed a title or two to return it, only to find they still haven't watched it.

You want to borrow a movie of mine? I'm fairly agreeable, within reason. Watch it. Then return it. Within a few days.

I now have a short list of acceptable borrowers. A very short list...

Last edited by Pointyskull; 12-11-09 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-11-09, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A lot of people don't understand the "return disc to case" step
Old 12-11-09, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

FWIW, I like people more than my dvd/blu-ray collection.

I have people over all the time for movies, and if they ask, I'll let them borrow something - sometimes, I'll be the one insisting that they borrow a movie I know they'll love - if they fuck up a disc (which has happened a couple times), it's not really a big deal, really - *gasp*, I know, right?
Old 12-11-09, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kids don't mess up my collection. I cheat and stream the movies from DVD off of my computer and onto my PS3. This way they can pick what they want and no discs get touched.
Old 12-11-09, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
FWIW, I like people more than my dvd/blu-ray collection.
I have people over all the time for movies, and if they ask, I'll let them borrow something - sometimes, I'll be the one insisting that they borrow a movie I know they'll love - if they fuck up a disc (which has happened a couple times), it's not really a big deal, really - *gasp*, I know, right?
Can I assume you are implying here that those who don't loan out like their DVD/blu ray collection more than people? I don't want to put words in your mouth but I can't see the relevance of such a statement to the current conversation otherwise.
Old 12-11-09, 04:31 PM

You'd think that if you let someone borrow a dvd they would just KNOW that they shouldn't mess it up. Seems like it should be common knowledge or common sense. That's what I do when someone let's me borrow their dvds. I go out of my way to make sure they get it back exactly like they gave it to me.

If the dvd gets messed up, they should buy you another one.

People have messed up my dvds before. I let a friend borrow 'Borat', and the case came back damaged, and it wouldn't close. There was what looked like ketchup on the actual dvd. To top it off he didn't even say anything about it. He just gave the dvd back to me as if everything was okay.

I let someone borrow 'Sweeney Todd', and they lost it. Still haven't gotten a new one yet.

Because of these two incidents, I let noone borrow my dvds anywmore, ever.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.